Fly Racing Gear Line - What's the difference?

jasonward73
Edited Date/Time 8/23/2017 12:12pm
I need a new set of gear and would like to purchase Fly since they are a huge supporter of the sport and the Pulp show.

After looking at the BTO and Fly site I can't seem to zero in on what line to go with. I occasionally ride moto for practice but mainly race hare scrambles. I would prefer mesh gear (I'm located in FL). I don't need bullet proof durability but don't want to be bothered with gear that won't last at least one season. Price really isn't an issue.

Can someone provide a brief summary of each line (Kinetic Vector, Kinetic Trifecta, Kinetic Mainline, Lite Hydrogen, F16, Evolution 2.0, etc)? May I also suggest that Fly add a compare gear lines page to assist with making his decision on their website.
|
tiddlermx23
5/4/2016 6:14pm Edited Date/Time 5/4/2016 6:16pm
Run the lite hydrogen on the motocross track and regular kinetic for the hare scrambles. The meshy gear is great but not very good for twiggs, branches etc.. kinetic holds up well enough in the rough stuff from personal experience. Stay away from f-16 line. Bulky unbreathable stuff and usually low on the totem pole design wise.
Xeno
5/4/2016 8:03pm
I really like the fit of the Evo 2.0 pants.
But you want vented, so you will be looking at the Kinetic line.
JG463
5/4/2016 8:23pm Edited Date/Time 5/4/2016 8:26pm
Fly puts a focus on heat control with all of their gear.

Evolution: Vents really well, has stretch panels all over the pant. The evolution also utilizes the boa system which can help you with sizing. For me, my summer weight and winter weight vary quite a bit and I can adjust them down quite a bit to make up for the difference. The heat patch is quite large and comes with Kevlar stitching which helps with different body types and sizes. The Evolution also runs larger in the knees for knee braces (take a look at the Pods, they are incredible!) The Evolution also has an inner pocket. This is considered a "race pant".

Lite Hydrogen: Very durable and very light. Feels like you are riding in yoga pants. Vents really well also. Also considered their "race pant."

Kinetic: Killer gear for the money! Durable, and priced for the weekend warrior.

If I were you, I would look into the LE gear that they had for Military appreciation night. Stuff looks awesome! It is mainly white so it will not be too hot this summer. This will be much more durable than any brands true vented gear and like I said, it is white which will help you. I imagine that with you being in Florida your do not have the red dirt or clay staining your gear like we do thus the white will be fine. Check out that boa system, for real. You can thank me later!

OR Racer46
Fantasy
843rd
5/4/2016 8:45pm
I am backed by Fly and run all there Gear All good points that have been stated. . The trifecta is just a color way it's the same as the kinetic . For florida I would be running the kinetic mesh It is very durable .

The Shop

tempura
5/4/2016 10:11pm
I have a lite hydrogen set.
Feels great, light weight and very flexible. That said, it hasn't held up well, mine has become worse for wear after about 5-7 rides. I certainly wouldn't call it very durable, but very comfortable.
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2562nd
5/4/2016 10:26pm

I ran lite hydrogen for a year and it was unbelievably durable. I crashed a ton of times and even got ran over in that stuff and it held up beautifullly. It was great gear. That said, it looked hideous. The design just looked cheap and ugly and I didn't buy again just based on how lame it looked. Something about fly just doesn't look like the top notch gear it is.

Anyways, buy any of the top fly stuff aND you'll be happy... and ugly
BobPA
5/4/2016 10:46pm
I ran lite hydrogen for a year and it was unbelievably durable. I crashed a ton of times and even got ran over in that stuff...

I ran lite hydrogen for a year and it was unbelievably durable. I crashed a ton of times and even got ran over in that stuff and it held up beautifullly. It was great gear. That said, it looked hideous. The design just looked cheap and ugly and I didn't buy again just based on how lame it looked. Something about fly just doesn't look like the top notch gear it is.

Anyways, buy any of the top fly stuff aND you'll be happy... and ugly
That's just like your opinion, man
jtiger12
5/5/2016 3:32am
I have kinetic trifecta. I'm going to get a set of the kinetic mesh for the summer heat, if it ever warms up and stops raining around here. I buy 2 sets of gear every season. If your in the woods, I'd also suggest regular kinetic or evolution.
5/5/2016 4:55am
In case anyone else reads this years down the line, find whatever the pros were wearing at that time. That is usually an indicator as to what the perceived "best" gear is of that year.

Example: You dont see Ryan Dungey or Ken Roczen riding in Fox 180 gear, its always 360 or Flex Air.
mxbrian15
5/5/2016 6:08am
Jason, I race FTR like you as well. I would definitely choose the Kinetic mesh gear if it were me.
DoctorJD
5/5/2016 6:13am
I bought a set of Kinetic mesh last summer. Only wore it a half-dozen times so I can't say anything about durability yet, but I was impressed with the fit and quality.
Jt$
5/5/2016 6:33am
I need a new set of gear and would like to purchase Fly since they are a huge supporter of the sport and the Pulp show...
I need a new set of gear and would like to purchase Fly since they are a huge supporter of the sport and the Pulp show.

After looking at the BTO and Fly site I can't seem to zero in on what line to go with. I occasionally ride moto for practice but mainly race hare scrambles. I would prefer mesh gear (I'm located in FL). I don't need bullet proof durability but don't want to be bothered with gear that won't last at least one season. Price really isn't an issue.

Can someone provide a brief summary of each line (Kinetic Vector, Kinetic Trifecta, Kinetic Mainline, Lite Hydrogen, F16, Evolution 2.0, etc)? May I also suggest that Fly add a compare gear lines page to assist with making his decision on their website.
Evo: This is our premium line. We threw every ounce of innovation and durability at this pant that we could muster. We have been working in the past few years to do two things with this line: shave off excess weight (removing TPR panels) and adding ventilation. The 2016 line saw maybe the biggest improvement with our partnership with BOA Closure Systems. Adding the BOA Closure to the rear of the pant created the most accurate fit in the waist of any pant in history. Its micro-adjustment capability raises the bar for fitment. Anyone who has ever wanted a size 33 or size 35 and was stuck in between, now has a perfect choice. Lastly, the materials we chose on the Evo pant had to be bullet-proof. This pant was made to last.

The Lite Hydrogen line was the brain-child of Andrew Short and Trey Canard. They wanted premium gear that was feather light and race specific. We launched that project in 2011 and saw our first release in the following season. Since then, we have made big improvements along the way. The cut has been refined to a more "athletic" design. Being our lightest gear in the catalog, we wanted to make sure we removed any excess material that wasn't fit specific. Special care was given to maintaining the trademarks of our gear; longevity and function. Just because Andrew or Trey only need their pants for 30+2 doesn't mean much for the consumer. This pant needs to stand up weekend after weekend. What we ended up with was super-lite gear that kept all of the high-end features that supercross level riders demand. We have seen huge growth in this line and as many of the other brands have also launched their own versions, a lightweight gear segment was created.

Kinetic: Whether it's Kinetic or Kinetic Mesh, the idea is really the same. We built race-level gear at a mid-level price. This Kinetic line was the one I was most familiar with as I moved into my position now. I wore this line most of my career and knew first hand how good it was. The brand needed a trademark line in its early years and the Kinetic became just that. It was able to outperform any brand at its price and people took notice. The number of stretch panels surpasses any brand at its price. The triple-kevlar leather panels (with three layers of reinforcement on the inside) ensure long life and added protection against any heat or abrasion. Our Zipper Lock system coupled with our velcro adjustment allow for fine tuning. In my daily sales life, it's the pant that I can go to war against any brand in its price category and know it will be a convincing comparison. The Mesh version shares exactly the same cut, fit and styling as the Trifecta graphic. Of course, being in Florida, this is what I would recommend with the heat. Our GNCC riders wear the Kinetic Mesh week in and week out.

Finally, our F-16 line is our no frills, casual riding line. We don't market this to our racers and it's not eligible for any of our contingency programs or rider support. It's built for those who simply want to go for a ride on their motorcycle and don't need it to be a race pant. We have had people race in this gear in the past and while it will hold up, we have so many better options that we try to keep them in gear built for the task. Still, though, it does provide a low cost option for many of our customers and there are plenty of riders who fit this line perfectly.

I hope this helps a bit and if you have any specific questions, please let me know!
WoodsRacer
Fantasy
2893rd
5/5/2016 7:21am
Great info, thanks JT$!

Just to add my 2 cents I have been using Fly Kinetic Mesh for the past 4 years or so in all the enduros and scrambles I race up here in the Midwest. Lots of tight spots to snag and rip gear yet everything I have had holds up amazing. I have gotten 2 full seasons racing and riding on my last set and after that I just retire it to mudder only races since thats just nasty anyways. I seriously couldn't be happier with the gear and HIGHLY recommend it to everyone woods racing.
metzler316
5/5/2016 9:53am
I run the lite hydrogen and Kinetic gear lines!! They are my favorite!! I've been running fly for 12 years now and helped Jerry over there at Fly with testing stuff for 4 years!! I am Fly for life!!

Here is where it all started!! HAHAHA oh they have come a LONG ways!!!

jasonward73
5/6/2016 5:01am
Jt$ wrote:
Evo: This is our premium line. We threw every ounce of innovation and durability at this pant that we could muster. We have been working in...
Evo: This is our premium line. We threw every ounce of innovation and durability at this pant that we could muster. We have been working in the past few years to do two things with this line: shave off excess weight (removing TPR panels) and adding ventilation. The 2016 line saw maybe the biggest improvement with our partnership with BOA Closure Systems. Adding the BOA Closure to the rear of the pant created the most accurate fit in the waist of any pant in history. Its micro-adjustment capability raises the bar for fitment. Anyone who has ever wanted a size 33 or size 35 and was stuck in between, now has a perfect choice. Lastly, the materials we chose on the Evo pant had to be bullet-proof. This pant was made to last.

The Lite Hydrogen line was the brain-child of Andrew Short and Trey Canard. They wanted premium gear that was feather light and race specific. We launched that project in 2011 and saw our first release in the following season. Since then, we have made big improvements along the way. The cut has been refined to a more "athletic" design. Being our lightest gear in the catalog, we wanted to make sure we removed any excess material that wasn't fit specific. Special care was given to maintaining the trademarks of our gear; longevity and function. Just because Andrew or Trey only need their pants for 30+2 doesn't mean much for the consumer. This pant needs to stand up weekend after weekend. What we ended up with was super-lite gear that kept all of the high-end features that supercross level riders demand. We have seen huge growth in this line and as many of the other brands have also launched their own versions, a lightweight gear segment was created.

Kinetic: Whether it's Kinetic or Kinetic Mesh, the idea is really the same. We built race-level gear at a mid-level price. This Kinetic line was the one I was most familiar with as I moved into my position now. I wore this line most of my career and knew first hand how good it was. The brand needed a trademark line in its early years and the Kinetic became just that. It was able to outperform any brand at its price and people took notice. The number of stretch panels surpasses any brand at its price. The triple-kevlar leather panels (with three layers of reinforcement on the inside) ensure long life and added protection against any heat or abrasion. Our Zipper Lock system coupled with our velcro adjustment allow for fine tuning. In my daily sales life, it's the pant that I can go to war against any brand in its price category and know it will be a convincing comparison. The Mesh version shares exactly the same cut, fit and styling as the Trifecta graphic. Of course, being in Florida, this is what I would recommend with the heat. Our GNCC riders wear the Kinetic Mesh week in and week out.

Finally, our F-16 line is our no frills, casual riding line. We don't market this to our racers and it's not eligible for any of our contingency programs or rider support. It's built for those who simply want to go for a ride on their motorcycle and don't need it to be a race pant. We have had people race in this gear in the past and while it will hold up, we have so many better options that we try to keep them in gear built for the task. Still, though, it does provide a low cost option for many of our customers and there are plenty of riders who fit this line perfectly.

I hope this helps a bit and if you have any specific questions, please let me know!
Thanks JT and everyone else that chimed in. Sorry I am so late in responding. Been a busy past few days.

Gonna do some shopping now. Looks like Kinetic Mesh might be the best ticket for me.

This is why I want to support Fly in my own little humble way. Great supporters of the sport and JT is a pretty stand up guy.

mooch
Fantasy
431st
5/6/2016 8:31am Edited Date/Time 5/6/2016 8:36am
What sold me on FLY was a set of 208 evolution gear that I bought back in 2007...That set has been worn many, many times and is still holding up to the point that it no way looks like it's 9 years old!

Most recent purchase has been a set of red hydrogen lite, I think it's now my favorite gear set...super light, comfortable and fits great. Also bought a set of the EVO limited edition and the BOA waist adjustment system is a nice setup!

I don't care so much for the look of the kinetic stuff as it looks a bit too busy for my taste.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the inner knee leather is great stuff too...thick, soft and conforms to knees well.
cwtoyota
5/6/2016 9:26am
I need a new set of gear and would like to purchase Fly since they are a huge supporter of the sport and the Pulp show...

Jt$ wrote:
Evo: This is our premium line. We threw every ounce of innovation and durability at this pant that we could muster. We have been working in...

I have been thinking about the same question myself. I have had a love/hate relationship with your brand for a few years now. You guys should put something more clear on the brand website.

I bought some black/gray "Patrol" gear at the end of 2010 not knowing it was the off-road line. That stuff held up really well, I was impressed and decided to stick with the brand.

Next I bought two sets of F16 in red, not realizing it was for entry-level / casual riders. The knees on each set lost their stitching on the first race day. I talked to a buddy who swears by fly and he let me know the F16 wasn't for racers.

So last year I bought some of Oneal's low end stuff because it was my size, sitting on the shelf and I needed something that weekend. It more or less held up for the whole summer, although the rubber badge blew off of one knee. The fit wasn't great and it wasn't as comfortable.

This year I wanted to give Fly another go and I picked up some Kinetic / Mesh. I raced in it Sunday and didn't 'notice' it which means it was comfortable. The knees have the same stretch-fabric as the F16 stuff, but they didn't blow out after the four race motos.

If the Kinetic stuff holds up this spring, I'll try some of the Hydrogen or Evo next time. I bought the Kinetic because it's listed first on your "Gear Lines" portion of the Fly website, so I assumed it was the high-end line. Consider the fact that there is no easy way to tell which is higher quality race gear and which is entry-level stuff. Adding a quick description to each gear line would really help out those of us looking for the good stuff.
Squirtlege
5/6/2016 9:48am
Fly hydrogen lite is for sale at deep discount all over the place right now. Like my set, has been durable and plenty breathable. Not bad at all for the $99 I paid in my opinion.
BTOSports
8/23/2017 9:11am Edited Date/Time 8/23/2017 12:12pm

Thank you Jason for visiting us at BTOSports.com! We understand this is a year old thread but we do want this helpful information out there for any new enthusiast riders. There's a brief compare gear line page for 2018!!!

Beeby
8/23/2017 12:03pm
I hope BTO deliver faster than they post on threads!

Post a reply to: Fly Racing Gear Line - What's the difference?

The Latest