FIM interview - Team Puerto Rico

Related:
Create New Tag

8/21/2018 6:50 AM

"Obviously one of the biggest talking points from the 2018 Monster Energy Motocross of Nations has been the selection of Team Puerto Rico. Travis Pastrana, Jimmy Mac and Ryan Sipes. Three 30 plus people, one a cartoon character, and all not racing professionally at the moment.

We decided to ask FIM what they think of the concept, and if its got any chance of happening. We gave Tony Skillington, the FIM Motocross commission president a call, as he is preparing to oversee the World Junior championships in Australia.

Skillington gave us the answers we wanted, even informing us that Team Puerto Rico have in fact not yet sent in an entry for the MXoN. He also gave us an insight into a possible format change for the MXoN in the near future.

MXlarge: So what is the opinion of yourself about this current situation with Puerto Rico selecting Jimmy Mac, Travis Pastrana and Ryan Sipes for the 2018 Monster Energy Motocross of Nations.

Skillington: There has been different stories running around, and I know a story coming from Budds Creek with there was some inappropriate situation between Jimmy Mac and a person at the event. I think everyone from the AMA and Davey Coombs could interrupt our biggest event of the year. I think this has a place in Nitro Circus, but it doesn’t have a place with us. We would not accept an alias from somebody and if there was somebody who is a suspect character, then we wouldn’t accept this.

MXlarge: There is also talk that Kevin Windham might take over from Jimmy Mac.

Skillington: I have heard that, but Geoff, we still haven’t received an entry from Puerto Rico. I think it’s a fantastic idea, the cause, but the way they went about this, wasn’t the best way to put it across. We try and sell motocross as a family sport and some of what is going on, it isn’t good. We want to dust to settle and find out about these misconducts that happened at Budds Creek, and we don’t have an entry from Puerto Rico.

MXlarge: But a team of Sipes, Pastrana and Windham would be acceptable?

Skillington: I don’t see any reason not to accept them.

MXlarge: I mean those guys are old, but they are still probably faster than a lot of the smaller nation riders?

Skillington: Yes, but this is the discussion we are often having, that we are mixing phenomenally fast riders with phenomenally slow riders, and this is a discussion we need to have in the future, about the Nations from tomorrow, next year or whatever. We saw what happened with the Japanese guy at Maggiora (with Jason Anderson) and I think in the future it could be a very different format. We are getting to a stage that we need to change and that is something that I really fear, is that the current format could affect somebodies’ career.

MXLarge: Is this something that you are already talking about within FIM, the changing of the format?

Skillington: It is up for discussion, so we wait until we get past the election of the FIM president in December and of course Wolfgang (Srb) has thrown his hat into the ring, and that of others. From now until the end of the year, we don’t make any changes, because it is the end of a political time, and we don’t want to put things through if we don’t know we have support for these things, but a change to the format of the des Nations is one thing we need to consider.

MXlarge: It has often been talked about having a Ryder Cup type of format, and of course this isn’t possible, because you can’t just have USA vs Europe, we also need countries like Australia involved, or South Africa, but what about something like that?

Skillington: You mean like Trans-AMA?

MXlarge: No, USA vs Europe vs Rest of the World, or is that too much of a change for the des Nations?

Skillington: Well, it’s the first time I have heard such a thing, and I need to get my head around it and it isn’t on my radar, and I can’t pull apart the wisdom of Geoff Meyer. I don’t know if it’s a great idea, or a bad idea, I don’t know. It could have legs down the road, but I don’t know."

|

8/21/2018 7:03 AM

Is mx large a fake news site? Who is jimmie mac?

|

8/21/2018 7:06 AM

The main thing that I got from that is that Ronnie Mac is really Jimmy Mac. My dumbass thought it was Trey Canard the whole time.

|

8/21/2018 7:11 AM

So what happened at Budds Creek?

|

8/21/2018 7:31 AM

GrapeApe wrote:

X2. wtf happened? Probably why things changed so drastically and KDub was added?

|

8/21/2018 7:45 AM

"Well, it’s the first time I have heard such a thing, and I need to get my head around it and it isn’t on my radar, and I can’t pull apart the wisdom of Geoff Meyer."

I nearly spit out my soda when I laughed at this one. laughing

|

8/21/2018 8:04 AM

I'm sorry, maybe it is the translation, but these interviews from MXLarge always seem so crappy and scripted. I can't take them seriously.

As far as the speed difference, I mentioned that in another thread the other day, but if you remove the slower guys you are down to US vs Europe. Just another GP with a 3 Americans sprinkled in there. I don't see how they could change it and still keep the smaller countries involved.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

8/21/2018 8:16 AM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

I'm sorry, maybe it is the translation, but these interviews from MXLarge always seem so crappy and scripted. I can't take ...more

They seem crappy because they are crappy interviews.

|

8/21/2018 8:31 AM

GrapeApe wrote:

X2 whats the scoop or Poop ?

|

8/21/2018 8:31 AM

The only thing I saw was some video Someone posted about Pastrana doing a backflip in the pits but they're not even talking about that just kind of a crazy stunt that's all

|

8/21/2018 8:33 AM

bsharkey wrote:

The only thing I saw was some video Someone posted about Pastrana doing a backflip in the pits but they're not even talking ...more

That was at Unadilla

|

8/21/2018 8:36 AM

GrapeApe wrote:

500guy wrote:

X2 whats the scoop or Poop ?

#mediablackout

Maybe he just misspoke and meant Unadilla. I hear team PR pissed off some people during the announcement of team USA.

|

8/21/2018 8:54 AM

ML512 wrote:

"Well, it’s the first time I have heard such a thing, and I need to get my head around it and it isn’t on my radar, and I can’ ...more

laughing laughing laughing laughing
|

8/21/2018 8:59 AM

kb228 wrote:

Is mx large a fake news site? Who is jimmie mac?

Ronnie Albertsons brother

|

2017 RMZ450
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

8/21/2018 9:02 AM

wisdom of Geoff

hah!

blew coffee out my nose on that one
|

8/21/2018 9:20 AM

".... that we are mixing phenomenally fast riders with phenomenally slow riders......We saw what happened with the Japanese guy at Maggiora (with Jason Anderson)"

This can't be real wassat

|

KX125

8/21/2018 9:38 AM

So what happened at Budds? Did Ronnie Mac sexually harass somebody again?? laughing

|

8/21/2018 10:00 AM

HenryA wrote:

".... that we are mixing phenomenally fast riders with phenomenally slow riders......We saw what happened with the Japanese ...more

That's crazy to me that he said that. We're talking about someone who got lapped on the last lap of a 30+2 Moto. That's no slouch. Simple fact is that the crash never happens if Anderson doesn't roll the finish on the racing line. To blame the Japanese guy for that crash is BS

|

8/21/2018 10:07 AM

HenryA wrote:

".... that we are mixing phenomenally fast riders with phenomenally slow riders......We saw what happened with the Japanese ...more

RG1 wrote:

That's crazy to me that he said that. We're talking about someone who got lapped on the last lap of a 30+2 Moto. That's no ...more

If it were Kenny who got landed on, you would be demanding the Japanese bro's head on a platter...

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

8/21/2018 10:09 AM

HenryA wrote:

RG1 wrote:

That's crazy to me that he said that. We're talking about someone who got lapped on the last lap of a 30+2 Moto. That's no ...more

I would just say both riders were at fault and chalk it up to just a bad accident.

Hell it's not like the GP's don't deal with extremely slow riders every week.

|

8/21/2018 10:11 AM

HenryA wrote:

RG1 wrote:

BobPA wrote:

If it were Kenny who got landed on, you would be demanding the Japanese bro's head on a platter...

Absolutely not. No chance. If Anderson doesn't roll the finish, it doesn't happen. Simple as that, the same applies whoever the rider

|

8/21/2018 10:14 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/21/2018 10:16 AM

HenryA wrote:

RG1 wrote:

500guy wrote:

I would just say both riders were at fault and chalk it up to just a bad accident.

Hell it's not like the GP's don't deal ...more

I find it hard to blame the Japanese rider because at the end of the day, he couldn't see Anderson, and he jumped the finish exactly like everyone else except Anderson did. I don't blame Anderson for not thinking about the possibility of getting landed on, because he must've been on cloud 9 at the time. But him rolling caused the crash

|

8/21/2018 10:16 AM

RG1 wrote:

BobPA wrote:

RG1 wrote:

Absolutely not. No chance. If Anderson doesn't roll the finish, it doesn't happen. Simple as that, the same applies whoever ...more

Had the Japanese rider been looking ahead instead of at his front wheel it could have been avoided as well. Can't put all the blame on Ando. He was ahead of the Japanese rider, was he not?

It was an accident. Simple as that. Besides, how many times have we seen racers roll the finish when getting the checkered flag?

|

2017 RMZ450
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

IG @2HRacing

8/21/2018 10:26 AM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

Had the Japanese rider been looking ahead instead of at his front wheel it could have been avoided as well. Can't put all the ...more

He was ahead, but the take off to the finish is basically blind until you round the corner. There's no way the Japanese rider could have seen him roll. There was advertising boards all the way down the straight blocking the view. Which is probably another thing that needs addressing

|

8/21/2018 10:27 AM

BobPA wrote:

RG1 wrote:

Absolutely not. No chance. If Anderson doesn't roll the finish, it doesn't happen. Simple as that, the same applies whoever ...more

mattyhamz2 wrote:

Had the Japanese rider been looking ahead instead of at his front wheel it could have been avoided as well. Can't put all the ...more

Seriously, who here has jumped a finish line jump to backside every single time they have taken the checkered flag?
Not I...

|

8/21/2018 10:29 AM

RG1 wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:

seth505 wrote:

Seriously, who here has jumped a finish line jump to backside every single time they have taken the checkered flag?
Not I...

Everytime? Not a chance. I've rolled the finish more than a few times.

|

2017 RMZ450
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

IG @2HRacing

8/21/2018 10:31 AM

The current format is fine. There is a an "A" final and a "B" final.
This event will always have a big difference in lap times.

|

Instagram: @motoxeno

Premium Off-Road Products: www.jcrspeedshop.com

8/21/2018 10:38 AM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

I ride a road bike (bicycle) on group rides. It's a dangerous hobby. Every now and then someone has a mechanical issue (usually a tire), and the whole group comes to a stop. If we're right around a bend or just over a brow, we pick our shit up and move down the road until we offer a better sightline.

You do not hover in an area where traffic can't see you at a reasonable distance. It's not that complicated.

|

F1. MotoGP. MXGP. Screw the rest.

8/21/2018 10:38 AM

Jimmie Mac is on Team Puerto Rico, with Lovely Louella as team support and the race has been moved to Chicken Licks Raceway! grin

|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.

8/21/2018 10:43 AM

Average best lap times across all three team riders. Fastest time gets the pole and every other team within a half lap/30 seconds in A class all others to B.

|