Concept 2 Rower

RCC104
3/8/2009 3:43pm Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 8:20am
For those of you that do train a little for MX...
Is anybody else using the Concept 2 rower? I recently got one for my home to mix in with my other workouts I started last fall, I also was using them with my college crew team, and I have to say, these things are an incredible full body workout if used correctly. Easily my most loved/hated piece of equipment to use. Can't tell you how many times I wanted to puke when I finished a workout on it.

I feel in great shape right now (better than I ever have coming off winter for sure) and I'm dying to see what I can do once I get back on the thumpers.

I'm just wondering if anybody else has found these Concept 2s a usful tool to train in the past? And if you saw noticeable results once back on the bike
|
Brent
3/8/2009 8:22pm
I've owned one for the last few years, Evil, Evil, machine.

The Devil's torture device if you use it correctly.Pinch
cougar1
3/8/2009 8:24pm
i have one
i love it
i think its the best work out ive ever had
JYZ566
3/8/2009 8:46pm
They are killer, I love mine. Check out crossfitendurance.com....great rowing workouts.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1084th
3/8/2009 9:42pm
Is there a significant difference between the C2 rowers and other pull-type (not with the side-mounted oars) rowers?

The Shop

tydog
3/9/2009 5:40pm
Been kinda' thinking about one a little lately after I saw one at Pastrana's house and went to their web site. Are there any retail places to buy that would save a few dollars?
Matt414
3/9/2009 5:50pm
I use one as well do a lot of other roadies I know. Rowers are some of the dumber athletes I've meet. Thats what makes them such bad ass's. I've fallen off the rower at my gym after a few workouts. You get some funny looks when you can't get off the floor!
3/10/2009 4:52am
Hey guys! I am glad you like the Concept2’s for training. My name is Greg and if you have any questions about the rower feel free to call or email me. I may have met some of you because I am also the guy that brings the rowers to Loretta Lynn’s and work with all the pro riders and trainers that use the rower. I ride mostly off road but I am also a trainer so I know how well the indoor rower is suited for all kinds of riding from road racing to MX and especially off road. No “salesy” BS here. Most people see the benefits within a couple of minutes on the rower so I am just here to help. Plus any day I can talk riding at work is a good day. Still too much snow on the ground here to get the bike out and I have some serious riding fever. If any of you are going to go to any of the Supercross races check out the KTM/Muscle Milk team that travel with two rowers as well as Stewart and Heath Voss. There are more but the riders can get funny about showing the way they train and warm up. My info is below. Take care. - Greg
Greg Hammond
Concept2
Motor/Action Sports Training
877-887-8014 ext 3074
e-mail: gregh@concept2.com
Moto page: http://www.concept2.com/us/communities/motor_sports/default.asp
RCC104
3/10/2009 9:11am
Thanks for offering to help Greg. Nice to know there's a trainer around to help if any questions come about.

RCC104
3/10/2009 9:21am
Is there a significant difference between the C2 rowers and other pull-type (not with the side-mounted oars) rowers?
Well, as I said in the first post, I had been working with my colleges rowing team, and actually got to use a different type of rower like you might be talking about. The school actually only had 2 of those off brand things and nobody ever used them, the rest of our rowers are C2's.

I did jump on one of the things once and have to say the thing was pretty strange in comparision to the Concept 2. I didn't feel I was getting a full row motion in and I didn't feel I was able to push nearly as hard. If it's all you have though, I'd says it's better than not doing anything.
fcr
3/10/2009 9:24am
My daughter was involved with crew here and those kids were ripped. One of the best workouts, bar none.
David Izer
3/10/2009 11:03am
I can tell you that DMXS loves ours and IT WORKS! Such a great workout and cardio like you can't imagine.
teggers
3/10/2009 12:14pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 10:52pm
My local gym has 2 but they don't have the handlebar attachment, just the stock thin one.

Hey also, Gregg, the foot stirrups come loose - after each pull back, they loosen just a little, but after about 2 minutes, I have to reach down and re-tighten. Is there an easy fix for this or do I have to get management to replace them? It's bad enough that I quit using the machines.

BTW - the web site has the times from LL's - for your own comparisons.

az2u
3/10/2009 12:40pm
teggers wrote:
My local gym has 2 but they don't have the handlebar attachment, just the stock thin one. Hey also, Gregg, the foot stirrups come loose -...
My local gym has 2 but they don't have the handlebar attachment, just the stock thin one.

Hey also, Gregg, the foot stirrups come loose - after each pull back, they loosen just a little, but after about 2 minutes, I have to reach down and re-tighten. Is there an easy fix for this or do I have to get management to replace them? It's bad enough that I quit using the machines.

Ditto on the straps. A more comfortable seat would be nice.
jtomasik
3/10/2009 12:44pm
Shit. Wish I just had a track in my backyard like Cygnus.
RCC104
3/10/2009 9:44pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 10:53pm
teggers wrote:
My local gym has 2 but they don't have the handlebar attachment, just the stock thin one. Hey also, Gregg, the foot stirrups come loose -...

Shoot, if my riding improves like my 500m sprint keeps improving, I might actually make LL's and be a challenger in the C2 rowing competition this year.

Just about beat Pastrana 1:28.6 500m time a little while ago with a 1:28.7. Those last 200m kill me though, as you can see below with my last stroke being a 1:35. That dude with the 1:21 is insane... When I'm peaking I'm barely pulling that kind of time right now...

Tonight after working from 11am to 11pm... yeah I'm patting my own back Tongue :

RCC104
3/10/2009 9:54pm Edited Date/Time 3/10/2009 9:57pm
sorry for some reason an edit made a new post
croom mx
3/11/2009 6:12am
I ride my mountain bike, the best for MX.
swtwtwtw
8/2/2018 7:37pm
I used one for the first time ever 6 weeks ago. I have been a runner/jogger for 40+ years now, still am. But for these 6 weeks I wanted to try something different. My gym has a concept2 , so rowing it was. My results were a gain in upper body strength and definition, I am only 160 and 6’, the drawback was maintaining 65% or more heart rate average on a daily basis, as one does with jogging. At this time, I don’t notice any difference on the bike vs jogging. However for the next 6 weeks I am going to alternate days rowing and jogging and continue to document my results. It is fun and even more so when others are rowing with me. It is a nice product, much better than indoor cycling or ellipticals.
Kelz87
Fantasy
1574th
8/2/2018 7:59pm
How long or far are you guys rowing for?
Beeby
8/2/2018 8:21pm
Hello... who is there?

it’s 9 years ago.

What do you want?

Our thread back!
Flip109
8/2/2018 8:30pm Edited Date/Time 8/2/2018 8:31pm
I really love mine. Especially in the winter when it’s to cold to run. Yo Greg what you think bout that 47k row they had em do at the crossfit games. Talk bout retarded. Lol

Edit: I had no idea how old this shit was lmao!
8/3/2018 4:42am
I have two discs in my lower back that are worn out to the point that they are basically not there any more. A surgeon told me to just deal with the pain as long as I can, but at some point they will have to fuse the three vertebrae together. I use a concept 2 rower and I do fine with it, but I have to be extremely vigilant of my form. It also helps that I’ve learned to “crack” my own back the same way a chiropractor does every night before I go to bed.
The weird part is, riding/racing actually makes my back feel better!
EastFlorida
8/3/2018 4:51am
I have two discs in my lower back that are worn out to the point that they are basically not there any more. A surgeon told...
I have two discs in my lower back that are worn out to the point that they are basically not there any more. A surgeon told me to just deal with the pain as long as I can, but at some point they will have to fuse the three vertebrae together. I use a concept 2 rower and I do fine with it, but I have to be extremely vigilant of my form. It also helps that I’ve learned to “crack” my own back the same way a chiropractor does every night before I go to bed.
The weird part is, riding/racing actually makes my back feel better!
Same here. When I'm in riding shape, my back hurts less. Same precautions on the C2 as well. Correct form and I'm OK, if I get lazy, then I may hurt it... Slow warm up before going hard is important for those with suspect backs and those getting up in age like me...
Crush
8/3/2018 5:00am
Just picked one up, bargain too! Have used them in gym for years but being a bit more time poor now with the little ones, stoked to have it at home. Not many better workouts than a rower IMO. Can do so much, so many ways!
JustMX
8/3/2018 5:28am
Holy crap.

I didn't realize the thread was that old, I just remember seeing a discussion here but them and when I ran across that auction listing I did a search and posted it.

I am actually a little impressed by my memory.

Now, what were we talking about again?

What day is it?
AJ565
8/3/2018 6:15am
Kelz87 wrote:
How long or far are you guys rowing for?
On 30 min row days I aim for 7300m. I've been trying to do more 30 min rows than 15 min rows, its just harder to do because I don't really have the time. In either case I have it set to 10 on the resistance and cal/hr screen and try and keep it between 920-950 cal/hr as that ends up putting me around 7300m by the end.
olds cool
8/3/2018 6:22am
JustMX wrote:
Holy crap. I didn't realize the thread was that old, I just remember seeing a discussion here but them and when I ran across that auction...
Holy crap.

I didn't realize the thread was that old, I just remember seeing a discussion here but them and when I ran across that auction listing I did a search and posted it.

I am actually a little impressed by my memory.

Now, what were we talking about again?

What day is it?
Don't worry Joe, rowing is timeless! Tongue
No changes in engine type or suspension technology. Same as it ever was...Wink

Post a reply to: Concept 2 Rower

The Latest