Chasing dreams

Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2020 2:00pm
I am currently driving to California Chasing a dream, (I live in Minnesota) however my dream isn't to be a pro rider at this point in life, that dream has passed I'm in my early 40's now. My dream is to work in the industry. I love the sport and I have had a strong desire to be involved in some way for many many years. I have never tried and this dream has never faded for me.
I have worked in Sales and Marketing for almost 20 years, I am very entrepreneurial and I love to brainstorm about business ideas. I have also started a few small businesses and I've followed the sport closely for 30 years.
Here is a story about How this trip came about.
It goes back about 2 years when I started a small business that failed due to some unforeseen circumstances.
Also, around the same time my wife and I had twin baby girls, so I was home and very depressed about the business failing and I realized she was really struggling with taking care of a 3 yr old and twin babies. I ended up staying home for a few months not working and helping with family. During that time I started studying successful people on YouTube, podcasts, and I read a few books and I started to see that they all say a lot of the same things like;
1. Do something you're passionate about
2. Put yourself out there and go for it.
3. Believe
4. Have faith
5. Set goals
6. Enjoy the journey
7. The biggest regrets in life are the chances not taken.
8. Do something you would do even if you didn't need money.
I have always worked just to make money rather than trying to do something I actually am interested in.
For me it's Motocross period.
For years I have felt unfulfilled, so during those few months I did some really deep thinking about what I am the most passionate about, what would make me feel fulfilled, what is something I want to advocate for and that I would want to work on everyday that would bring a sense of purpose, and for me that is doing something in the motocross industry.
After staying home for awhile I restarted the same business that failed, and its been doing well.
However, I have decided it's not what I really want.
I am going for it you could say, "burning the boats" for those that know that saying.
I am going to Southern California because it is pretty much the hub of the sport to try to meet people and make connections in the industry, with hopes of making a career change.
I am also working on a project related to Motocross that I want to talk to some people in the industry that are well connected, specifically about ways to grow the sport.
What recently tipped me over the edge was watching Red Bull MX nation season 5 episode 5 the part where Davey Coombs says "I'm the guy that even if I won the lottery I would still go back to work" because he loves what he does.
Davey is also very high on my list of people I would like to meet and talk to, so much so that I thought about going to Virginia instead, but with California I felt that there are a lot more people to try to meet.

I have an awesome Wife that is willing to be supportive of me chasing my dream, and it doesn't have to be California I would move anywhere if it was a good opportunity.
The help I am looking for is; I am planning to camp in my van to save money, and i'm wondering if anyone here on vital has any suggestions on places to park?
My Wife wanted to come on the trip to California but she and the kids with be staying in Sacramento with my Sister so it will just be me camping in the van in Southern California.
Thank you for reading.

|
dl117
Fantasy
2587th
12/9/2019 1:28pm
Good luck, safe travels
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
12/9/2019 1:29pm
Good luck dude!! Hope you get what you are looking for!
12/9/2019 1:36pm
The industry is tough. I worked for a brand for over 3 years and it’s not all it’s cracked up to be in my opinion.
Looking back now I’m glad I experienced that chapter in my life but it’s not for me. Good luck, if it doesn’t work out you still always have a great family and life up in Minn.

Ghost
12/9/2019 2:36pm
I make a ton of money in the industry I want to be in.

I’d trade it all for a loving wife.

I think a lot of success is perspective.

Best of luck on this trip and the rest of your journey.

The Shop

Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
12/9/2019 2:54pm
Thanks For the kind wishes.
My first stop is Sacramento, anyone have contact info
Or email address for Daniel Blair?
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
12/9/2019 2:56pm
I make a ton of money in the industry I want to be in. I’d trade it all for a loving wife. I think a lot...

I have been pretty lucky in the wife area I actually met her on a internet dating site 7 years ago Smile
I don't know if you have tried that but I think it's the most common way people meet partner these days.
12/9/2019 2:58pm
I can't imagine living anywhere else than ca right now. All due to the weather. It's expensive yet can make good money here. Then retire to another state.
mb60
12/9/2019 3:03pm
Good luck with the adventure and keep us posted. I almost did this 11 years a go and went from Texas to try and work for Scott goggles following the races.
LungButter
12/9/2019 3:09pm
Hell yeah, good for you!

If you wanna take the island...burn the boats! Love it!
12/9/2019 3:22pm
Go for it dude! I’d rather try & fail instead of never trying sitting back and saying what if. Best of luck with your journey!
Mr. Afterbar
12/9/2019 3:43pm
Good for you, man. I hope you succeed and keep us posted. Good luck!
12/9/2019 5:08pm
I make a ton of money in the industry I want to be in. I’d trade it all for a loving wife. I think a lot...

Tarz483 wrote:
I have been pretty lucky in the wife area I actually met her on a internet dating site 7 years ago :) I don't know if...
I have been pretty lucky in the wife area I actually met her on a internet dating site 7 years ago Smile
I don't know if you have tried that but I think it's the most common way people meet partner these days.
Appreciate it. I had it all but, but my wives’ mental illness has other plans. Trying to get up the guts to give it a go but just don’t have it in me.

But enough about my path, this is about yours.

Do you know what you want to do most in the industry?
aeffertz
12/9/2019 5:28pm
Good luck man! You’re doing exactly what I’ve been wanting to do. I don’t have a family or kids but I need to get my finances in check before quitting my job and chasing a dream.

I’m sure you won’t miss these 6 month winters. I don’t know how many more o can handle. Keep us updated!
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
12/9/2019 5:32pm
aeffertz wrote:
Good luck man! You’re doing exactly what I’ve been wanting to do. I don’t have a family or kids but I need to get my finances...
Good luck man! You’re doing exactly what I’ve been wanting to do. I don’t have a family or kids but I need to get my finances in check before quitting my job and chasing a dream.

I’m sure you won’t miss these 6 month winters. I don’t know how many more o can handle. Keep us updated!
Yeah I remember you hearing you say that you want to move to California before.
Thanks for the reply
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
12/9/2019 5:57pm
Tarz483 wrote:
I am currently driving to California Chasing a dream, (I live in Minnesota) however my dream isn't to be a pro rider at this point in...
I am currently driving to California Chasing a dream, (I live in Minnesota) however my dream isn't to be a pro rider at this point in life, that dream has passed I'm in my early 40's now. My dream is to work in the industry. I love the sport and I have had a strong desire to be involved in some way for many many years. I have never tried and this dream has never faded for me.
I have worked in Sales and Marketing for almost 20 years, I am very entrepreneurial and I love to brainstorm about business ideas. I have also started a few small businesses and I've followed the sport closely for 30 years.
It goes back about 2 years when I started a small business that failed due to some unforeseen circumstances.
Also, around the same time my wife and I had twin baby girls, so I was home and very depressed about the business failing and I realized she was really struggling with taking care of a 3 yr old and twin babies. I ended up staying home for a few months not working and helping with family. During that time I started studying successful people on YouTube, podcasts, and I read a few books and I started to see that they all say a lot of the same things like;
3. Believe
4. Have faith
5. Set goals
6. Enjoy the journey
I have always worked just to make money rather than trying to do something I actually am interested in.
For years I have felt unfulfilled, so during those few months I did some really deep thinking about what I am the most passionate about, what would make me feel fulfilled, what is something I want to advocate for and that I would want to work on everyday that would bring a sense of purpose, and for me that is doing something in the motocross industry.
After staying home for awhile I restarted the same business that failed, and its been doing well.
I am going for it you could say, "burning the boats" for those that know that saying.
I am going to Southern California because it is pretty much the hub of the sport to try to meet people and make connections in the industry, with hopes of making a career change.
I am also working on a project related to Motocross that I want to talk to some people in the industry that are well connected, specifically about ways to grow the sport.
What recently tipped me over the edge was watching Red Bull MX nation season 5 episode 5 the part where Davey Coombs says "I'm the guy that even if I won the lottery I would still go back to work" because he loves what he does.
Davey is also very high on my list of people I would like to meet and talk to, so much so that I thought about going to Virginia instead, but with California I felt that there are a lot more people to try to meet.

I have an awesome Wife that is willing to be supportive of me chasing my dream, and it doesn't have to be California I would move anywhere if it was a good opportunity.
The help I am looking for is; I am planning to camp in my van to save money, and i'm wondering if anyone here on vital has any suggestions on places to park?
My Wife wanted to come on the trip to California but she and the kids with be staying in Sacramento with my Sister so it will just be me camping in the van in Southern California.
Thank you for reading.

Have you peeked here? https://www.motorcycleindustryjobs.com/find-a-job/ (doesn't look like lots there at the moment.)

Another place to peek is https://www.malakye.com/jobs

Not all moto-related, but lots of stuff in the action sport industry.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
12/9/2019 6:12pm Edited Date/Time 12/9/2019 6:14pm
Tarz483 wrote:
I am currently driving to California Chasing a dream, (I live in Minnesota) however my dream isn't to be a pro rider at this point in...
3. Believe
4. Have faith
5. Set goals
6. Enjoy the journey

Thank you for reading.

GuyB wrote:
Have you peeked here? https://www.motorcycleindustryjobs.com/find-a-job/ (doesn't look like lots there at the moment.) Another place to peek is https://www.malakye.com/jobs Not all moto-related, but lots of stuff...
Have you peeked here? https://www.motorcycleindustryjobs.com/find-a-job/ (doesn't look like lots there at the moment.)

Thanks and yes I have looked on there, but it seems like personal connections go a long way in this industry. So I'm just wanting to try to meet people.
If you are going to be around in the near future I would love to meet up with you.
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
12/9/2019 6:19pm Edited Date/Time 12/9/2019 6:19pm

I also make a ton of money along with my wife.....

And would trade it all for a loving wife.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
12/9/2019 8:51pm
Tarz483 wrote:
3. Believe
4. Have faith
5. Set goals
6. Enjoy the journey

Thank you for reading.

GuyB wrote:
Have you peeked here? https://www.motorcycleindustryjobs.com/find-a-job/ (doesn't look like lots there at the moment.) Another place to peek is https://www.malakye.com/jobs Not all moto-related, but lots of stuff...

Actually I haven't seen the malakye.com/jobs before looks awesome.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
12/9/2019 9:18pm

MxKing809 wrote:

Does this mean you have a wife but she isn't loving ?
Moto520
12/9/2019 9:21pm
Your wife is everything. Great woman. You got this. Give it everything you have. Good for you for taking a chance.
12/9/2019 9:30pm
Best of luck to you, I think regardless of the outcome the life experience alone will be worth it!
brocster
12/9/2019 9:32pm
Good for you Tarz483. Something I tried to instill in my kids. “Don’t wait for shit to happen, make shit happen” and another “you can’t win if you don’t play”

Moved out here 2 1/2 years ago after an early retirement and now on my second career, not in the Moto industry-wish it was, and loving every minute of it.

Good luck with your search. There are Moto dudes everywhere, you just never know who you are talking to and how they may be connected.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
12/9/2019 9:52pm
Thanks Guys, So far just the Journey and the feeling of adventure has been been a blast, And for being winter it has been smooth sailing. dont mind the cracked windshield.

MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
12/10/2019 3:57am

MxKing809 wrote:

Tarz483 wrote:
Yes, but saying it out loud like that kinda ruins the joke........ Cool
McG194
12/10/2019 5:45am
Don't let anyone say you can't do it. Only talk to and listen to positive people.

Bezos and Gates don't hang around people that bitch about their jobs.
Uncle Tony
12/10/2019 2:23pm
MxKing809 wrote:

I hear ya
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
12/10/2019 4:37pm
Thanks , I felt really lucky because it was a really snowy Nationwide and I some how missed it all.
The Sierra Mountains are beautiful.

vetmxr
12/10/2019 4:50pm
Good luck and keep us posted.....I'm exited for you...
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
12/10/2019 4:53pm
MxKing809 wrote:

Tarz483 wrote:
MxKing809 wrote:
Yes, but saying it out loud like that kinda ruins the joke........ Cool
Dude, I looked like a deer in headlights with that one. I wasn't sure how that one was meant Laughing

Post a reply to: Chasing dreams

The Latest