All new KTM 2016

11/6/2014 6:57am Edited Date/Time 11/6/2014 6:59am
mine work great! just as good if not better than my showa suspension on my 2008 rm 250... know plenty of other riders that get on...
mine work great! just as good if not better than my showa suspension on my 2008 rm 250...

know plenty of other riders that get on with it! suppose some people will complain about anything. There are riders finishing in the top 10 in the nationals over there on stock ktm suspension...

is that confirmed? about the air forks? 9ibs lighter and more power sounds good! my 350 already feels alot lighter to ride than a 450 with plenty of power. Be interesting to see what the new ones are like in comparison

if ktm do go to air forks then it doesnt show much faith in the 4cs forks! only put them on the american spec bikes this year (mine has the old style bladder forks on not the 4cs)
There were only one piece of air fork made by WP and they were on Andrew Short bikes, maybe they made another set by now. But i dont think you see Airfork on a ktm anytime soon - maybe in two perhaps three years. Trusty spring works just fine and some pro riders still opts for the spring Chad for example.

According to some suspension tuners in the buiss the airfork maybe lighter but its also bit messy for the average riding joe to tune. And personaly i like the idea of air but im not to fancy to check pressure when i want to ride, with the springs is just easy maintence.

Wirdeman at Twotwo thought they brought the air to production side of things maybe a bit to early. I think KTM will let the others major brands do those years of hard tuning no mans land r&d before they release anything to the production.

dcg141
11/6/2014 7:00am
i like the suspension on my 15 350- had correct springs/ revalve for my weight / ability and it works just as good if not better...
i like the suspension on my 15 350- had correct springs/ revalve for my weight / ability and it works just as good if not better than most of the jap bikes. Cant really understand why alot of people say the suspension is so bad! Alot of local riders seem to think they need to spend 5k on trax shock/ cone valve forks or ££££££ on ohlins for their ktms!!! I'm happy with mine stock.

Is it really necessary for a club level rider to spend 1000's of $$$ on aftermarket suspension in this day and age? not in my opinion- the stock stuff is more than good enough for 99% of riders, just need to find a good suspension tuner! same goes for any bike in that regard though
Crush wrote:
Think you'll find the majority of people with WP get spring/revalved and still aren't as happy as they are with some past showas and especially KYB...
Think you'll find the majority of people with WP get spring/revalved and still aren't as happy as they are with some past showas and especially KYB sss... It's not exactly a quiet opinion.

Ok, sure. Great? Probably not. And the other side of it is the window that it works well for different track conditions is pretty small...
mine work great! just as good if not better than my showa suspension on my 2008 rm 250... know plenty of other riders that get on...
mine work great! just as good if not better than my showa suspension on my 2008 rm 250...

know plenty of other riders that get on with it! suppose some people will complain about anything. There are riders finishing in the top 10 in the nationals over there on stock ktm suspension...

is that confirmed? about the air forks? 9ibs lighter and more power sounds good! my 350 already feels alot lighter to ride than a 450 with plenty of power. Be interesting to see what the new ones are like in comparison

if ktm do go to air forks then it doesnt show much faith in the 4cs forks! only put them on the american spec bikes this year (mine has the old style bladder forks on not the 4cs)
I think the air forks were the only way to knock off the weight KTM wanted too.
11/6/2014 7:05am
Crush wrote:
Think you'll find the majority of people with WP get spring/revalved and still aren't as happy as they are with some past showas and especially KYB...
Think you'll find the majority of people with WP get spring/revalved and still aren't as happy as they are with some past showas and especially KYB sss... It's not exactly a quiet opinion.

Ok, sure. Great? Probably not. And the other side of it is the window that it works well for different track conditions is pretty small...
No offense crush but where do you get that info from? I get the impression you don't ride much at all. My opinion nobody can honestly...
No offense crush but where do you get that info from? I get the impression you don't ride much at all. My opinion nobody can honestly get real test comparison without solid seat time. I know with myself I'm constantly chasing my tale because I don't ride much and trying to ride as fast as I use to without the the same fitness level.

My honest opinion is wp is as good as everything else or there. It's just become everyones scapegoat when they aren't performing.
thats the problem with this place! too many armchair experts. Base their opinions on what they read on the internet, not from first hand experience!!

I agree with you - there is no substitute for seat time (for test comparisons) - and also agree that WP is about as good as most other suspension. Certainly more than enough for what your average rider would want.

I also agree about people complaining making excuses for poor performance!!!
11/6/2014 7:08am Edited Date/Time 11/6/2014 7:13am
Bruce372 wrote:
Says who???
Who do you refer to Bruce?
Bruce372 wrote:
Yourself Mike. Where are the rumors about a new RMZ450?? Ive been on RMs for years, and major upgrades really are uncommon. I would be surprised...
Yourself Mike. Where are the rumors about a new RMZ450??

Ive been on RMs for years, and major upgrades really are uncommon. I would be surprised if they do a remake, especially after this years frame changes...maybe they will just re-do the plastics?

I would be interested to hear about who got a 2015 rmz450 for $7500 OTD, since I heard invoice was $7700- there are no rebates right now since the dealers are still trying to get the 2013-2014s off their floors.

I nearly pulled the trigger on the 2015 KTM450 this weekend, but winter is coming in the Midwest.

at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Suzuki stopped making MX bikes, but then again, they have to sell something!!!

these KTMs really are amazing, I just cant keep up with the changes!
By suzuki company themself. By keefer at Dirtrider magazine, by MXA, by transworld mx. By some friends i know in the industry who are profesional riderds themself.

This year should be the last year they use the bike wich is virtualy the same since 08. And no they will not make some minor changes like they done in the past. It would be there 8th year and they are already in progress with it, but no pictures have been leaked.

Honda making new bikes every third year, KTM have been chaning i think every fourth, I am excited to see a brand new suzuki coming for roczen to race in 2016 or 17. They been talking about it at Pulp MX bike reviews also.

The Shop

O___o
11/6/2014 7:11am
if you think the suzuki has been virtually the same since 08....

you're a cosmetically oriented dude.
11/6/2014 7:37am Edited Date/Time 11/6/2014 7:48am
O___o wrote:
if you think the suzuki has been virtually the same since 08....

Are you stupid for real ? Tell me when they made a brand new rmz model for the rmz 450 from scratch ?

learn the difference of the word Virtualy pls : for the most part; almost wholly; just about.

They made some frame changes engine changes trough the year, but the cosmetics been the same.

Ofc they updated suspension but the bike is based on the 2008 platform.

You can use the same graphics on a 2008 rmz 450 on a 2015 rmz 450 how come? The cosmetics is the same, the plastics. I think they pretty much left the Suzuki 450 rmz for 2012 and just bolted on new suspension and some small pieces and different graphics.

Honda made a new bike new cosmetics 2009, then again 2013 /, KTM 2009, and new bike for 2010 and yet again new cosmestics in 2012.

And Kawi been changing a whole lot, not as much as Honda or KTM

and we all know Yamaha made huge cosmetics changes with the new bike they released for bubba in 2010.

Bruce372
11/6/2014 7:54am
the plastics on the RM125 and 250 were the same from 2001 until they stopped selling them.

the rumors about the new 450 have been around the net for a years, so I will believe it when I see it.

until then, I am gonna pick up a 2015 rmz, bolt on my rekluse and Yosh system from my 09 and go ride, LOL.
nytsmaC
11/6/2014 8:01am Edited Date/Time 11/6/2014 8:01am
Mikebrownsound

Jesus dude, you have replied in this thread 41 times in the last 2 days. Take a deep breath.
11/6/2014 8:01am
Bruce372 wrote:
the plastics on the RM125 and 250 were the same from 2001 until they stopped selling them. the rumors about the new 450 have been around...
the plastics on the RM125 and 250 were the same from 2001 until they stopped selling them.

the rumors about the new 450 have been around the net for a years, so I will believe it when I see it.

until then, I am gonna pick up a 2015 rmz, bolt on my rekluse and Yosh system from my 09 and go ride, LOL.
Yeah thats Suzukis aproach i guess. Yeah ofc the rumors floating. But ill be just as happy as anyone when they release a new model from scratch i want to get a Suzuki but since it probably with a high chance will be a brand new model within one or two years il wait for it.

Yeah see your rekluse and yosh from 09 works on a 15 zuke, maybe this O___o dude should get his fact straight about the rmz 450.
11/6/2014 8:03am Edited Date/Time 11/6/2014 8:03am
nytsmaC wrote:
Mikebrownsound

Jesus dude, you have replied in this thread 41 times in the last 2 days. Take a deep breath.
Im in the discussion mate Wink Got my phone avaliable, ya know modern times, you get the latest posts and can reply fast as hell lol!
11/6/2014 8:05am
dcg141 wrote:
The word is 9 lbs lighter. Air forks save weight, lithium battery, engine and frame are lighter.
KTM really keeps you dealers on your toes.
Weight of a 2 stroke. Ease of ride of a 4 stroke.
Cant wait to demo one of these babies in the woods.
Bruce372
11/6/2014 8:30am
Bruce372 wrote:
the plastics on the RM125 and 250 were the same from 2001 until they stopped selling them. the rumors about the new 450 have been around...

Yeah thats Suzukis aproach i guess. Yeah ofc the rumors floating. But ill be just as happy as anyone when they release a new model from...
Yeah thats Suzukis aproach i guess. Yeah ofc the rumors floating. But ill be just as happy as anyone when they release a new model from scratch i want to get a Suzuki but since it probably with a high chance will be a brand new model within one or two years il wait for it.

Yeah see your rekluse and yosh from 09 works on a 15 zuke, maybe this O___o dude should get his fact straight about the rmz 450.
the clutch and pipe from my 2002 fit on my 2004 RM125, the 2004 looked the same but was amazingly better, yet not as good as the 2005 rm125.

the 2001 RM250 was a dog compared to the 2003, the 2004 was much better, as was the 2005 and so on yet they all looked the same.

if the 2015 wasn't significantly better than my 2009, I wouldn't be getting one. Its just a bonus that my trick parts will transfer over.

I suppose I will have to live with the fact that it looked dated, but then again Jimmy Stewart and K-Roc chose to race the old dog too.

Crush
11/6/2014 3:48pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2014 3:51pm
thats the problem with this place! too many armchair experts. Base their opinions on what they read on the internet, not from first hand experience!! I...
thats the problem with this place! too many armchair experts. Base their opinions on what they read on the internet, not from first hand experience!!

I agree with you - there is no substitute for seat time (for test comparisons) - and also agree that WP is about as good as most other suspension. Certainly more than enough for what your average rider would want.

You really do have a reading problem... If there is a problem with this place, that is it. What I wrote it's based on people's experiences. Wether i talk to them, or read what they write on a forum, or what an editor says in a test, that's all first hand information from people who are riding the bike, and in the case of talking about majority opinions, completely valid.

Performance and good enough is irrelevant unless you still think you're trying to turn pro. Most people are just talking about direct comparisons of comfort that they get from the bike... does it make them feel good, does it transition harshness etc... Again. All comments that often come back from KTM people.

Three of my mates and me, all on 13/14 ktms, revalved and sprung, 3 coming of SSS yamahas and a 09 suzuki, no one says their suspension is as good stock or after setup... Different setups by different tuners too.

Which was entirely my point. Not as happy and struggle to get it to work as well as other brands across a range of surfaces, not that no one is happy or can't be...
11/7/2014 12:02am
thats the problem with this place! too many armchair experts. Base their opinions on what they read on the internet, not from first hand experience!! I...

Crush wrote:
You really do have a reading problem... If there is a problem with this place, that is it. What I wrote it's based on people's experiences...
You really do have a reading problem... If there is a problem with this place, that is it. What I wrote it's based on people's experiences. Wether i talk to them, or read what they write on a forum, or what an editor says in a test, that's all first hand information from people who are riding the bike, and in the case of talking about majority opinions, completely valid.

Performance and good enough is irrelevant unless you still think you're trying to turn pro. Most people are just talking about direct comparisons of comfort that they get from the bike... does it make them feel good, does it transition harshness etc... Again. All comments that often come back from KTM people.

Three of my mates and me, all on 13/14 ktms, revalved and sprung, 3 coming of SSS yamahas and a 09 suzuki, no one says their suspension is as good stock or after setup... Different setups by different tuners too.

Which was entirely my point. Not as happy and struggle to get it to work as well as other brands across a range of surfaces, not that no one is happy or can't be...
so what you're saying is- 4 of you all have ktms, even though you think the suspension is rubbish. Hmm, why not just buy SOMETHING ELSE if you don't like it?! hahaha Obviously you had all this 'first hand information' available before you spent your hard earned money. Yet you still chose to buy the ktm with the poor suspension....

some people make me laugh- do yourself favour, get that bike out this weekend instead of trying to pick arguments with people on here, you never know- you might actually enjoy it! i know its a tall order, with the terrible suspension...

I like the new design- i'd be more interested in the performance than the aesthetics though. If the 350 really is 9ibs lighter?! (surely that can't be right?!) and more powerful across a broader range then it will be the bike to have this year! I already love my 2015 350, think it has more than enough power for most people. Be interested to see some spec sheets/ have a go on one of the 'factory edition' 15s, ready to trade mine in for a stock 16 model when they come out!!
Crush
11/7/2014 12:38am
Holy fuck you're a dope. Read again dummy.
11/7/2014 5:00am Edited Date/Time 11/7/2014 5:14am
Bruce372 wrote:

Yeah thats Suzukis aproach i guess. Yeah ofc the rumors floating. But ill be just as happy as anyone when they release a new model from...

Bruce372 wrote:
the clutch and pipe from my 2002 fit on my 2004 RM125, the 2004 looked the same but was amazingly better, yet not as good as...
the clutch and pipe from my 2002 fit on my 2004 RM125, the 2004 looked the same but was amazingly better, yet not as good as the 2005 rm125.

the 2001 RM250 was a dog compared to the 2003, the 2004 was much better, as was the 2005 and so on yet they all looked the same.

if the 2015 wasn't significantly better than my 2009, I wouldn't be getting one. Its just a bonus that my trick parts will transfer over.

I suppose I will have to live with the fact that it looked dated, but then again Jimmy Stewart and K-Roc chose to race the old dog too.

I know that the 15th bike is better, with improvements in the engine and some small frame changes suspensions and all that, but the bike is still virtualy the same bike ( cosmetics) I love Suzukis and i think thats one of the reasons they are so solid. Same platform just fine tuning everything, while Honda for example making new bikes every third year and their top team been struggling the first one to two years in the racing scene, ( should not compare to average joe riding). Ofc Suzukis budget is way way smaller and all that, different market. Btw just throwing in it in therethey need to bring out a 250F factory team again, it sucks to see pretty much no suzukis at the pro ranks.

There is a reason you can put your stuff from 09 on a 15th bike cause the bike is virtualy the same ( a good thing do in my opinion if you are a loyal fan to a brand)

You can not bolt on stuff from 2009 Honda onto a 2015 Honda
You can not bolt on stuff from a 2009 KTM onto a 2015 KTM,
You can not bolt on stuff from a kawi from 2009 onto a 2015 kawasaki
You can not bolt on anything from a Yamaha 2009 onto a 2015 Yamaha

Why? Well we all know that by know dont we? Except this particular Canadian troll.

He said: if you think the suzuki has been virtually the same since 08....

O___o
11/7/2014 5:03am
so funny how guys judge a bikes development by the radiator shrouds...
11/7/2014 5:15am Edited Date/Time 11/7/2014 5:16am
O___o wrote:
Radiator shrouds... jesus you are really a good one. IS there anywhere you can block trolls at this forum? Guess i have to ask Guy B.
nytsmaC
11/7/2014 5:24am Edited Date/Time 11/7/2014 5:26am
O___o wrote:
Radiator shrouds... jesus you are really a good one. IS there anywhere you can block trolls at this forum? Guess i have to ask Guy B.
Ride an 09, a 12 and a 15. Then come back and tell everyone how they are all pretty much unchanged.
O___o
11/7/2014 5:29am Edited Date/Time 11/7/2014 5:29am
O___o wrote:
nytsmaC wrote:
Ride an 09, a 12 and a 15. Then come back and tell everyone how they are all pretty much unchanged.
That's what I am getting at. an 01 RM and an 08 RM250 hardly share a bolt.

mikebrownsound, chill the fuck out, I wasn't even talking about you. your 2016 KTM cheerleading is bordering on bizarre at this point anyway.
11/7/2014 5:30am Edited Date/Time 11/7/2014 5:31am
nytsmaC wrote:
I would love to! But im not a test rider lol!
11/7/2014 5:34am
O___o wrote:
That's what I am getting at. an 01 RM and an 08 RM250 hardly share a bolt. mikebrownsound, chill the fuck out, I wasn't even talking...
That's what I am getting at. an 01 RM and an 08 RM250 hardly share a bolt.

mikebrownsound, chill the fuck out, I wasn't even talking about you. your 2016 KTM cheerleading is bordering on bizarre at this point anyway.
Thx man! I got more if you want lol!
resetjet
11/7/2014 5:48am
I predict this bike will be better then the rest in every way except the suspension will kill the deal. The need to get rid of WP.
Grizz
11/7/2014 5:59am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/11/07/69886/s1200_2016_ktm.jpg[/img] Different angle

Different angle
That's fine looking.
11/7/2014 6:14am
I would rather have the WP suspension vs having those air forks because from what I hear at the track is you can't mess with them unless you have an engineering degree their so complicated
nytsmaC
11/7/2014 7:21am
I would rather have the WP suspension vs having those air forks because from what I hear at the track is you can't mess with them...
I would rather have the WP suspension vs having those air forks because from what I hear at the track is you can't mess with them unless you have an engineering degree their so complicated
That's absolutely true, you do need to have an engineering degree to mess with air forks. Your WP forks are far superior. You can find at least two people to agree with you.
11/7/2014 7:33am Edited Date/Time 11/7/2014 7:59am
KTM press release words

EICMA 2014: KTM 350 SX-F FACTORY – THE LEADER STAYS THE LEADER
POSTED IN BIKES, RACING
The covers are off the MXGP title-winning factory bike. Here’s the low-down on the changes …

Cairoli 350 1
It is about time that one of the most important dirt bikes in the world was given hearty fanfare. For five years in a row KTM’s 350 SX-F has been an FIM World Championship winner in the hands of Red Bull KTM’s Tony Cairoli and has rightly been offered as the ideal solution between those wanting the agility of a 250 and the power of a 450. In Cairoli’s hands the 350 has proven its mettle when it comes to racing on all types of terrain, to taking holeshots and for reliability; indeed the only recorded DNF due to a mechanical problem for the Sicilian was in the second moto of the 2013 British Grand Prix … and that was only after ‘222’ had given the motorcycle copious abuse in celebration of his fifth consecutive world crown after the first race.

“… the ideal solution between those wanting the agility of a 250 and the power of a 450.”
There is little doubt that the 350 suited a slight but strong racing Pro like Cairoli from its introduction as a brainchild of former racers Stefan Everts and Pit Beirer in 2010 but it was also the tool with which Belgian athlete Kevin Strijbos toasted podium finishes and claimed a British Championship in 2012 and thus resurrected his career in the process.

Cairoli has adopted minimal changes to his race bike in the last four seasons. It is even alleged that he used the same basic prototype chassis since that inaugural version in 2010, finding the first model the most effective for the range of conditions and challenges for the eighteen round FIM MXGP series. For 2015 and this startling factory bike however KTM have re-shaped and re-sharpened the animal and one of their most impactful and influential machines now has a new form.

Tony Cairoli´s KTM 350 SX-F Factory

Tony Cairoli´s KTM 350 SX-F Factory
So, what’s the standout? What really captured the eye when Cairoli whipped off the covers at the 2014 EICMA show in Milan this week?

The sculptors at Mattighofen have been busy. A lighter stainless steel frame with a new sub-frame, a newly designed cast aluminium swing-arm with re-designed linkage and new ergonomically refined bodywork: ‘new’ is the word. The weight saving is said to be around a hefty five kilos which is going to have obvious repercussions on rideability.

“The weight saving is said to be around a hefty five kilos which is going to have obvious repercussions on rideability.”
KTM’s mantra with the KTM 350 SX-F Factory is: ‘Reduced weight, increased functionality and better ergonomics’ and one of the ways in which they have aimed for this is through a slimmer, more compact powerplant for better centralisation. The engine itself – Cairoli’s works 350 was even subjected to an FIM inspection at the Spanish GP this year after rival teams had doubts on the spec in relation to the power and performance achieved, needless to say it was verified as a 350 – has apparently been given a boost. KTM are vague on the details and will only state: ‘The DOHC engine communicates with the state-of-the-art Keihin engine management, but everything else is a company secret. For us it is all about the World Championship!’

Agostini’s MV, Sheene’s RG, Bayle’s CR, Rainey’s YZR, Doohan’s NSR, Rossi’s M1, Smets 500SX, Everts’ YZ … motorcycle racing has numerous iconic models associated with some of the legends of the sport and various disciplines. Maybe it is too soon to really embrace and appreciate the 350 and Cairoli link, but there is little doubt that the combination has made a ‘crater’ in the 58 year record book of the FIM Motocross World Championship.

So basically by this text some of the new things is :

Lighter Chromoly frame,
New Subframe
New aluminium Swing arm
New Linkage
New Bodywork
Around 5 kilos lighter weight saving, idk sounds much but we will see
More compact powerplant for centralisation
New Keihin fuel injection management

Post a reply to: All new KTM 2016

The Latest