AMA running a scam?

newmann
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 12:50pm
Getting a membership renewal in the mail. I can lock in a three year deal for $39.00 a year, total $117.00. Includes free roadside assistance for all my vehicles. Should I do it??? Sounds like a bargain considering all they do for motocross here in the US, especially my favorite class, the 125's. Oh, failed to mention that I'm a paid in full life member since the early 90's.....Whistling
|
mark_swart
12/28/2011 7:17am
Yeah, that special offer (to rejoin for the regular price) showed up at my house yesterday too.
pitbike502
12/28/2011 7:37am
newmann wrote:
Getting a membership renewal in the mail. I can lock in a three year deal for $39.00 a year, total $117.00. Includes free roadside assistance for...
Getting a membership renewal in the mail. I can lock in a three year deal for $39.00 a year, total $117.00. Includes free roadside assistance for all my vehicles. Should I do it??? Sounds like a bargain considering all they do for motocross here in the US, especially my favorite class, the 125's. Oh, failed to mention that I'm a paid in full life member since the early 90's.....Whistling
Sounds like they already con'ed you back in the 90's
newmann
12/28/2011 8:07am
pitbike502 wrote:
Sounds like they already con'ed you back in the 90's
Con'ed? Local tracks were AMA sanctioned for some series races back then and to race any AHRMA events (which I have since 1991 to current) you had to be an AMA member also. Life membership back then was $350.00 so considering it was an unavoidable extortion fee, I took the least expensive way out. Do the math for about 18 years. A few years back, AHRMA and the AMA had a falling out over a frivolous pissing match of a lawsuit that cost the AMA over $750,000.00 of members money and bankrupted AHRMA and wiped out the injured riders benevolent fund of which I was a long time contributor of. Thank you Jeff Smith (500cc World Champion '64/'65) for dryfucking your members. Just thought I'd mention that.....again! AHRMA no longer requires AMA membership to participate.

The Shop

Highsider
12/28/2011 8:10am Edited Date/Time 12/28/2011 8:12am
Mine was $250 when I bought the Life and I have used an AMA card since they were a DOLLAR at Saddleback in 1971*

*pretty sure we bitched then about having to buy one..
yosmithy
12/28/2011 8:12am
newmann wrote:
Con'ed? Local tracks were AMA sanctioned for some series races back then and to race any AHRMA events (which I have since 1991 to current) you...
Con'ed? Local tracks were AMA sanctioned for some series races back then and to race any AHRMA events (which I have since 1991 to current) you had to be an AMA member also. Life membership back then was $350.00 so considering it was an unavoidable extortion fee, I took the least expensive way out. Do the math for about 18 years. A few years back, AHRMA and the AMA had a falling out over a frivolous pissing match of a lawsuit that cost the AMA over $750,000.00 of members money and bankrupted AHRMA and wiped out the injured riders benevolent fund of which I was a long time contributor of. Thank you Jeff Smith (500cc World Champion '64/'65) for dryfucking your members. Just thought I'd mention that.....again! AHRMA no longer requires AMA membership to participate.
This just might have to be my new signature for 2012!
SwapperMX
12/28/2011 8:16am
newmann wrote:
Con'ed? Local tracks were AMA sanctioned for some series races back then and to race any AHRMA events (which I have since 1991 to current) you...
yosmithy wrote:
It is definitely worthy !!
mark_swart
12/28/2011 8:55am
Highsider wrote:
Mine was $250 when I bought the Life and I have used an AMA card since they were a [b]DOLLAR[/b] at Saddleback in 1971* *pretty sure...
Mine was $250 when I bought the Life and I have used an AMA card since they were a DOLLAR at Saddleback in 1971*

Man, in retrospect that $250 is a steal!!
newmann
12/28/2011 8:56am
yosmithy wrote:
I'm sure that warped, uh I mean creative little mind of yours could come up with something much better. You should sketch one. The Alessi airlift was epic, although it never happened.Whistling
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
12/28/2011 9:02am
yosmithy wrote:
newmann wrote:
I'm sure that warped, uh I mean creative little mind of yours could come up with something much better. You should sketch one. The Alessi airlift...
I'm sure that warped, uh I mean creative little mind of yours could come up with something much better. You should sketch one. The Alessi airlift was epic, although it never happened.Whistling
I plan to commission an original Yosmithy this year. I'm trying to decide between Short's crash on the KTM or Brooks' family vacation. Either would be mantle-worthy, but I can only afford one.
yosmithy
12/28/2011 9:05am
oh, it happened all right. I dare anyone to prove this actual photo was edited in any way!

yosmithy
12/28/2011 9:16am
GrapeApe wrote:
I plan to commission an original Yosmithy this year. I'm trying to decide between Short's crash on the KTM or Brooks' family vacation. Either would be...
I plan to commission an original Yosmithy this year. I'm trying to decide between Short's crash on the KTM or Brooks' family vacation. Either would be mantle-worthy, but I can only afford one.
Dude, you're gonna make me start drinking again with those ideas
Highsider
12/28/2011 9:22am Edited Date/Time 12/28/2011 9:28am
Kinda big news from Redbud:

Important AMA fee info! Current members can renew for up to three years for $39 through March 31st. New members can join for $39 through December 31st. After those dates, membership fee will be $49/year.

RedBud will NOT require AMA membership in 2012, EXCEPT for the Loretta Lynn Regional qualifier and the ATV National,

but we know many of you will want to continue your memberships, so take advantage of the savings and renew early!
You won't lose months by renewing early; they'll add another year on to your current expiration date.
motogrady
12/28/2011 9:23am
I dunno.
I'm sure the HD guys, especially the pre beltdrive guys, love it.
Every one of them has a half dozen horror stories on breaking down in the middle of nowhere.
What it does for the racer I'm not really sure.

What's to stop the AMA from quitting racing altogether?
Sell it off for good, like AAA did.
AAA got out of it when they had a few guys get killed at their events.
Dingman has said that's what he want's, to be the AAA of 2 wheelers.
When does MXSPORTS and DMG have to reup?
I heard it was a 10 year deal.
And that was a few years ago.

If I was a racer, I'd pass.
If I had a street bike and did a bit of touring, yeah, not bad to help the cause..
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
12/28/2011 9:40am
I heard of them 25 years ago, not much since then.
wawazat
12/28/2011 10:03am
Guessing not too many memberships sold in SoCal? I've only bought one once, and that was to race amateur day back when Glen Helen had a nat. Never saw more than one page at a time about mx.
newmann
12/28/2011 10:14am
Hey guys, wasn't so much about how much a three year membership was but that I'm a paid in full life member and they are trying to get me to pay for a membership. How many old memory lapsing life members are writing checks? I'm sure the AMA probably just has a "glitch" in the system .Whistling
newmann
12/28/2011 10:17am
yosmithy wrote:
oh, it happened all right. I dare anyone to prove this actual photo was edited in any way! [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4051/4421016724_b7615ccfb3_o.jpg[/img]
oh, it happened all right. I dare anyone to prove this actual photo was edited in any way!

Right click, save as..... yosmithy art. A true classic. Looking forward to your next "work".
yosmithy
12/28/2011 10:21am
I'm sure Windham got the same letter
carlosmacho
12/28/2011 10:35am
I only get one if I have to and since I have been racing only local track races and not AMA sanctioned events, I have not had to buy an AMA membership for quite some time. I actually have more fun at the local track races instead of lining AMA Ceo's pocket with money or contributing money so AMA can squabble with lawers against AHRMA or other orgs.

I would only buy one if I had to because I felt I had to race some AMA sanctioned event (I rather support a local track instead)
12/28/2011 11:16am
newmann wrote:
Hey guys, wasn't so much about how much a three year membership was but that I'm a paid in full life member and they are trying...
Hey guys, wasn't so much about how much a three year membership was but that I'm a paid in full life member and they are trying to get me to pay for a membership. How many old memory lapsing life members are writing checks? I'm sure the AMA probably just has a "glitch" in the system .Whistling
I've been getting a bill from AT&T for the past year with a balance of $0.00 despite not having an AT&T account for over two years. Just sayin... AMA probably outsources their direct mail marketing to a third-party who probably uses a database of people that doesn't distinguish between life members or not.
JustMX
12/28/2011 11:26am Edited Date/Time 12/28/2011 11:41am
Where to start?

AMA has been a farce for some time.

They let the four-stroke "revolution" occur with so little forethought it is scary. The result is future generations of Motocrossers being completely priced out of our sport.

They still have not done anything mentionable to address the noise issue with the four strokes either.

Add in the Edmondson, AHRMA, and Supercross Fiascos that burned through MILLIONS of their member's dues and it is a wonder that they have the membership that they claim to still have.

Now we hear rumors about a ridiculous amount of money being paid to it’s president while the organization is hemorrhaging members and alienating long time promoters.

The serious question is how much longer will the AMA exist?
Sherwood
12/28/2011 12:06pm
Someone's getting a big chunk of money from them and it's not the people who attend and help at the races...
Highsider
12/28/2011 12:59pm
Gawd, I am glad to be OUT of the motocross business.Cool
bt260
12/28/2011 1:51pm
newmann wrote:
Hey guys, wasn't so much about how much a three year membership was but that I'm a paid in full life member and they are trying...
I've been getting a bill from AT&T for the past year with a balance of $0.00 despite not having an AT&T account for over two years...
I've been getting a bill from AT&T for the past year with a balance of $0.00 despite not having an AT&T account for over two years. Just sayin... AMA probably outsources their direct mail marketing to a third-party who probably uses a database of people that doesn't distinguish between life members or not.
It's not just a glitch. I was reading the latest AMA magazine the other night and noticed a full page ad targeted specifically at AMA Life members, touting the benefits of buying a yearly membership to gain the roadside assistance and other "benefits" the yearly paid members get. I thought it was a ridiculous attempt to get more $$. I also received 2-4 letters each month for the last 8 months of my current membership telling me "it's time to renew, your membership is about to expire". Got multiple emails too. Finally responded once saying "spend your money elsewhere instead of on propaganda to get me to resubscribe. I'm a racer, I HAVE to resubscribe, don't worry about me".
jatharp12
12/28/2011 4:05pm
I wonder if subscring to racer x etc.. had anything to do with it? I haven't been a member since 1987, when i was 17, and I got the "renewal" notice.
silver753
12/28/2011 4:17pm
I renew mine even though I haven't used it for YEARS. I look at it like this, I donate every year to our states food bank, I never get ANYTHING from it, but most of it is put to good use, I think 93 cents per dollar. I don't know what the AMA cent per dollar for good use is, but no matter what anyone says, they are there for a good purpose.

I lived, ate, and shit this sport for over 30 years, I figure it's a small token of my appreciation to a group of people who want to fight for our rights as riders. I usually don't see the benefits on my doorstep, but they are there to help.
Tim507
12/28/2011 6:04pm
Highsider wrote:
Mine was $250 when I bought the Life and I have used an AMA card since they were a [b]DOLLAR[/b] at Saddleback in 1971* *pretty sure...

mark_swart wrote:
Man, in retrospect that $250 is a steal!!
Bought a life membership for my two sons and myself 20 years agoSmile . Though i am not in lock step with the AMA, it has had a great ROI!
wardy
12/28/2011 7:33pm
There is alot of things "people" don't need. Evidently history, process and foundations don't matter anymore? I am not "mad" at anything, but if any track, no matter how big or small decides that they don't "need" to place the AMA banner on thier product. It's their choice. Then why would the people who do support the AMA , and it's membership want to support those places?

People may not "go to races" because it's AMA. But many races are or began as AMA and were built by that process. We are not talking nationals pro stuff here, but rather the real part of AMA which is the every day rider and racer who simply enjoys to go racing. AMA has for years been about that. Whats even more funny is when "people" decide to pull away from ama for this big issue only to go on to charge thier own membership fees. but we had this discussion already on another thread and won't go back over all that stuff again. You can believe what ya like and I know what i see and have seen for a long time. many "people" may dismiss it, as no big deal. well maybe it isn't, to me it seems that it's simply a lack of respect..
newmann
12/28/2011 8:34pm
wardy wrote:
There is alot of things "people" don't need. Evidently history, process and foundations don't matter anymore? I am not "mad" at anything, but if any track...
There is alot of things "people" don't need. Evidently history, process and foundations don't matter anymore? I am not "mad" at anything, but if any track, no matter how big or small decides that they don't "need" to place the AMA banner on thier product. It's their choice. Then why would the people who do support the AMA , and it's membership want to support those places?

People may not "go to races" because it's AMA. But many races are or began as AMA and were built by that process. We are not talking nationals pro stuff here, but rather the real part of AMA which is the every day rider and racer who simply enjoys to go racing. AMA has for years been about that. Whats even more funny is when "people" decide to pull away from ama for this big issue only to go on to charge thier own membership fees. but we had this discussion already on another thread and won't go back over all that stuff again. You can believe what ya like and I know what i see and have seen for a long time. many "people" may dismiss it, as no big deal. well maybe it isn't, to me it seems that it's simply a lack of respect..
History? The AMA really screwed the pooch there with me and my affection for all the history that is.....errrr, was the 125 class. Their all too out of whack displacement rules sent a much needed bike the way of the dodo bird here in the states. The AMA doesn't appear to be too concerned with the history of or for that matter, the health of motocross.

Post a reply to: AMA running a scam?

The Latest