Smart Carb vs Lectron vs STIC Keihin.

Slosh 112
Edited Date/Time 12/7/2017 2:54am
Has any body tried either a Smart carb or a Lectron on their bikes?

The smart carb is a cool looking set up, internally vented so vent hoses or leaks when tipped over, self pressurising, adjustable needle height with a clicker adjuster and no jets . Would they be any good on something built for all out power or are they more of a maintenance free type deal for a trail bike type deal? they now make a 38mm cast version which now puts one into my price range.

Lectron doesn't have main jet or pilot jet just an adjustable power jet? I've seen them getting around on some tough bikes.

How would these go versus a well jetted standard carb? Theres a company making billet metering block inserts that retro fit into the Keihin airstrikes that looks impressive with equally impressive numbers to go with it, I was contemplating getting that but the price is similar to a new cast smart carb.

Never done much with jetting and fine tuning two strokes so getting one running crisp, revving hard and making clean power is something i'll have to learn along the way but not having jets to tune sounds really nice.

|
Bruce372
2/4/2017 6:47am
Yep

I tried the 38mm cast on my rm144 but it didn't pull it well, the 36mm billet they replaced it with absolutely rips.

Since it's larger than stock carb, you can only use it with the stock intake on the rm125
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
2/4/2017 8:23am
I have the Lectron on my KTM 125. It's pretty good, but if you are a nerd and like your set up perfect it still requires some tuning. It is very easy to adjust the metering rod, so I guess that's better than changing jets. You also don't need to remove the carb to make any changes.

To me, it's not as set it and forget it as people made it sound. My application might be more sensitive on the 125, so requires more tuning.
Slosh 112
2/4/2017 2:16pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Yep I tried the 38mm cast on my rm144 but it didn't pull it well, the 36mm billet they replaced it with absolutely rips. Since it's...
Yep

I tried the 38mm cast on my rm144 but it didn't pull it well, the 36mm billet they replaced it with absolutely rips.

Since it's larger than stock carb, you can only use it with the stock intake on the rm125
Well this will be for a 250 so I think 38mm will be right.

The Shop

Slosh 112
2/4/2017 2:22pm
I have the Lectron on my KTM 125. It's pretty good, but if you are a nerd and like your set up perfect it still requires...
I have the Lectron on my KTM 125. It's pretty good, but if you are a nerd and like your set up perfect it still requires some tuning. It is very easy to adjust the metering rod, so I guess that's better than changing jets. You also don't need to remove the carb to make any changes.

To me, it's not as set it and forget it as people made it sound. My application might be more sensitive on the 125, so requires more tuning.
I can't find much discerning pro's and cons between the two, Both have easy to get to adjustments, and I like the idea of no jets. Did either give you any power increase of a better power curve?
wsc96
Fantasy
474th
2/4/2017 3:09pm
Great topic. I know the ThumperTalk forums have much debate over this. I'll be interested to see people's experiences here.
Bruce372
2/5/2017 6:57am
Bruce372 wrote:
Yep I tried the 38mm cast on my rm144 but it didn't pull it well, the 36mm billet they replaced it with absolutely rips. Since it's...
Yep

Slosh 112 wrote:
Well this will be for a 250 so I think 38mm will be right.
Yeah, it will pull it fine
cslacker
2/6/2017 12:10pm Edited Date/Time 2/6/2017 12:18pm
Slosh 112 wrote:
Has any body tried either a Smart carb or a Lectron on their bikes? The smart carb is a cool looking set up, internally vented so...

The smart carb is a cool looking set up, internally vented so vent hoses or leaks when tipped over, self pressurising, adjustable needle height with a clicker adjuster and no jets . Would they be any good on something built for all out power or are they more of a maintenance free type deal for a trail bike type deal? they now make a 38mm cast version which now puts one into my price range.

Lectron doesn't have main jet or pilot jet just an adjustable power jet? I've seen them getting around on some tough bikes.

How would these go versus a well jetted standard carb? Theres a company making billet metering block inserts that retro fit into the Keihin airstrikes that looks impressive with equally impressive numbers to go with it, I was contemplating getting that but the price is similar to a new cast smart carb.

Never done much with jetting and fine tuning two strokes so getting one running crisp, revving hard and making clean power is something i'll have to learn along the way but not having jets to tune sounds really nice.

I have used both a Lectron and SmartCarb in the past. I sold the SmartCarb and stopped using the Lectron but kept it. They both make for a very smooth power curve. I had consistency issues with the SmartCarb and some hard start issues also. The Lectron I just could never get exactly how I wanted it. With a normal carb if you don't like a certain part of the power delivery you change the coinciding jet or needle, with a metering rod carb you are limited by the needle profile and an overall leaner/richer adjustment. I personally am too picky I guess as I tried 3 different rod profiles with the Lectron and wasn't happy with any of them. On a positive note, they both got really good fuel mileage. On a negative note, they do this because they run well with higher A/F ratios and not because of magical fuel atomization...

I am currently running a PWK with the STIC (the billet metering assembly you mentioned) and I won't be changing this setup. It absolutely produces more power everywhere and I was shocked the first ride with it. You have to go up on your main and possibly a 1/2 clip richer on the needle but that is about it. Harris Performance sells them if you want to give it a go. I definitely recommend it over any metering rod carb and Harris will help you get in the ballpark with jetting. It also runs really well with elevation and temperature changes.

http://www.hpracedevelopment.com/stic-metering-block.html

JW381
2/6/2017 12:23pm
Slosh 112 wrote:
Has any body tried either a Smart carb or a Lectron on their bikes? The smart carb is a cool looking set up, internally vented so...

cslacker wrote:
I have used both a Lectron and SmartCarb in the past. I sold the SmartCarb and stopped using the Lectron but kept it. They both make...
I have used both a Lectron and SmartCarb in the past. I sold the SmartCarb and stopped using the Lectron but kept it. They both make for a very smooth power curve. I had consistency issues with the SmartCarb and some hard start issues also. The Lectron I just could never get exactly how I wanted it. With a normal carb if you don't like a certain part of the power delivery you change the coinciding jet or needle, with a metering rod carb you are limited by the needle profile and an overall leaner/richer adjustment. I personally am too picky I guess as I tried 3 different rod profiles with the Lectron and wasn't happy with any of them. On a positive note, they both got really good fuel mileage. On a negative note, they do this because they run well with higher A/F ratios and not because of magical fuel atomization...

I am currently running a PWK with the STIC (the billet metering assembly you mentioned) and I won't be changing this setup. It absolutely produces more power everywhere and I was shocked the first ride with it. You have to go up on your main and possibly a 1/2 clip richer on the needle but that is about it. Harris Performance sells them if you want to give it a go. I definitely recommend it over any metering rod carb and Harris will help you get in the ballpark with jetting. It also runs really well with elevation and temperature changes.

http://www.hpracedevelopment.com/stic-metering-block.html

I'm gonna have to give this a try soon. I ditched the PWK at the end of the summer, but I am planning on trying a YZ PWK in the near future.
Jterry
2/6/2017 7:53pm
I have the billet STIC in my yz295. It makes a huge difference in a positive way. I also taper bored my carb after testing just the STIC in the stock carb. I personally couldnt tell a ton of difference with the bored carb. But the STIC is a very good mod.
Slosh 112
2/9/2017 3:16pm
I've read a few other threads on different forums and i think I'm sold on the STIC from Harris Performance engineering.
I've never come across something that is honestly bolt on power with so many people to back it up. Costs almost as much as cast smart carb but I don't think the smart carb will be a power upgrade.
Bruce372
2/9/2017 6:04pm
Slosh 112 wrote:
I've read a few other threads on different forums and i think I'm sold on the STIC from Harris Performance engineering. I've never come across something...
I've read a few other threads on different forums and i think I'm sold on the STIC from Harris Performance engineering.
I've never come across something that is honestly bolt on power with so many people to back it up. Costs almost as much as cast smart carb but I don't think the smart carb will be a power upgrade.
I wouldn't bet against the smart carb power...mine absolutely rips. The top end the bike makes is amazing, never signs off.....I am talking 6th gear wide open down my friends run way....it sounded like a 125 gp road racer!!!
Jterry
2/9/2017 6:33pm
Slosh 112 wrote:
I've read a few other threads on different forums and i think I'm sold on the STIC from Harris Performance engineering. I've never come across something...
According to Derek the smart carb is no better than a properly jetted stocker. Plus the other problems that come along with the smart carb.

I was amazed at the over rev I gained with the stic.
Slosh 112
2/9/2017 7:53pm
Jterry wrote:
According to Derek the smart carb is no better than a properly jetted stocker. Plus the other problems that come along with the smart carb. I...
According to Derek the smart carb is no better than a properly jetted stocker. Plus the other problems that come along with the smart carb.

Yeah done deal as soon as I can afford it my KTM project will get one.

I wonder how hard it would be to rig up a PWK to my RM125 so I can do the same mod and gain some power on that????
Bruce372
2/11/2017 1:29pm
Jterry wrote:
According to Derek the smart carb is no better than a properly jetted stocker. Plus the other problems that come along with the smart carb. I...

Slosh 112 wrote:
Yeah done deal as soon as I can afford it my KTM project will get one. I wonder how hard it would be to rig up...
Yeah done deal as soon as I can afford it my KTM project will get one.

I wonder how hard it would be to rig up a PWK to my RM125 so I can do the same mod and gain some power on that????
Years ago, I ran a 38mm pwk air Stryker on an 2002 rm144.

It was a pain to setup, since it just wouldn't pull clean, so I ended up running a #4 slide compared to a 6 or 7 most bikes run. Additionally, the straight taper needles often detonate, I used a NOZI needle from a ktm.

The problem with the pwk is the carb is so much longer than the stock Mikuni it leaves a lot of dead air space between the reeds and the needle.....I think this is why so many works bikes had the choke removed and the front of the carb machined off back in the day.

I am skeptical of more power, even if the bike runs crap at partial throttle, you are always gonna make max power when wide open.....lean the main until it detonates at wot and then go one richer.

brocsdad
2/13/2017 9:07pm
The dyno I saw with the STIC was down on hp compared to stock. Does the bike actually make more hp or just feel faster.
wfopete
2/14/2017 7:04am Edited Date/Time 2/14/2017 7:09am
I have a later model (2016) cast 38mm Smart Carb on my KTM300 and the top end power is impressive. Revs forever. Some of the earier models made by ATP had issues but I understand they can be fixed EZ. I like the cast versions; no vent lines, great starting and always jetted on the money plus the folks at Technology Elevated are EZ to talk to. I went with the SC because I felt it was a step up in technology from the Lectron and was of better quality. Plus the SC was a little less money at $395 shipped. From reading Lectron users post I find many need to fuss with different rods and tune in the "power jet" to get it right. The only thing I did other than buying the carb was to put on a longer Motion Pro T4 throttle cable.
Bramlett321
2/14/2017 8:43am
Mannnnnnnnn!! I could not wait to comment on this one. I have a 2016 KTM 300XC and we've jetted and jetted...purchased the JD Jet Kit, tried that RM250 NEDJ needle and yes it got somewhat better. But not nearly the performance that this bike is known for and yes we're in East Texas where the temp jumps 50 degrees either way in a day. All that being said I purchased a Lectron 36mm for the bike, comes with the motion pro cable and everything bolted right up. She fired right off I had to adjust the idle a little but this bike runs like a demon now. Pulls through the RPM range like I wanted it to all along and has that linear power I'd always heard about. It's worth every penny, hell KTM should do a recall on their bikes and put this on every 300!!!

cslacker
2/15/2017 9:35am Edited Date/Time 2/15/2017 9:46am
brocsdad wrote:
The dyno I saw with the STIC was down on hp compared to stock. Does the bike actually make more hp or just feel faster.
Can you provide the dyno sheet? I have seen over 10 separate dyno runs in person and online with the STIC and there have been obvious gains on every one. On Derek's site alone there are 5 dyno sheets for different bikes that compare his best tune with the stock carb and then with the STIC. http://www.hpracedevelopment.com/stic-metering-block.html Did they possibly leave the jetting stock? If so the main would be extremely lean.

I can promise you it is not just a "feeling" of power/speed. I will say however that the throttle response is greatly improved. So much so I added a flywheel weight for traction.
cslacker
2/15/2017 9:41am
Bruce372 wrote:
Purple pipe all the way to the silencer!
Your Exhaust temps are so high(purple pipe) because you are running lean with the SmartCarb. Their better fuel mileage is mostly due to how well they run when tuned very lean.
brocsdad
2/15/2017 9:45am Edited Date/Time 2/15/2017 9:46am
brocsdad wrote:
cslacker wrote:
Can you provide the dyno sheet? I have seen over 10 separate dyno runs in person and online with the STIC and there have been obvious...
Can you provide the dyno sheet? I have seen over 10 separate dyno runs in person and online with the STIC and there have been obvious gains on every one. On Derek's site alone there are 5 dyno sheets for different bikes that compare his best tune with the stock carb and then with the STIC. http://www.hpracedevelopment.com/stic-metering-block.html Did they possibly leave the jetting stock? If so the main would be extremely lean.

I can promise you it is not just a "feeling" of power/speed. I will say however that the throttle response is greatly improved. So much so I added a flywheel weight for traction.
Stock Blue / STIC Red - and yes the builder tried richer jetting

2/15/2017 9:48am
brocsdad wrote:
interesting, Id be surprised to see a dyno test properly executed on a stock and stic that is worse with the stic.

At a bare minimum if all the claims about it are bullshit, it would then be exactly the same as stock
Bruce372
2/15/2017 9:48am
Bruce372 wrote:
Purple pipe all the way to the silencer!
cslacker wrote:
Your Exhaust temps are so high(purple pipe) because you are running lean with the SmartCarb. Their better fuel mileage is mostly due to how well they...
Your Exhaust temps are so high(purple pipe) because you are running lean with the SmartCarb. Their better fuel mileage is mostly due to how well they run when tuned very lean.
Nope, it's from running wide open on a sand track. Smile
2/15/2017 9:52am
who is the builder?

Do you know which set up it was and bike brocsdad? There was some push from kpr to use a set up that was too lean, but I always saw over rev gains that way due to pipe temperature.

Personally the original set up I was sent has been a stellar dyno performer with trackside ride reports that are what had me most surprised and interested in the product... It just surprised the hell out me a bolt in could dyno well and feel as much better as it did... which drove me crazy so I sent a couple out to a few customers I trust to give their no bullshit opinion and their ride reports mimiced mine..
cslacker
2/15/2017 9:53am
brocsdad wrote:
Stock Blue / STIC Red - and yes the builder tried richer jetting [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/02/15/176641/s1200_STIC.jpg[/img]
Stock Blue / STIC Red - and yes the builder tried richer jetting

I would honestly have them reach out to who they purchased it from and work with them on settings or troubleshoot issues with that specific metering unit. I would bet that the designer/owner would love to see those results. Do you have more details on what the settings were for the runs?
brocsdad
2/15/2017 10:46am
They were working with the owner/designer and he did everything they suggested. The dyno is from a KTM 250. He was hoping it would work but as you can see it was not better.
Jterry
2/15/2017 12:20pm Edited Date/Time 2/15/2017 12:23pm
The first time I started my yz295 with the billet stic installed it immediately had better throttle response and rev'd noticeable cleaner and faster. Upon riding it the top end pull was way better and over rev which had been non existent before was much better. I live in a place where I can make a change ride the bike come back and make another change and ride it again before the pipe cools down. The bike comes on the pipe much faster and with more authority than it ever has.

And I have no reason to think its better just because I paid a bunch of money for it. I am one of the ones Derek sent one out to test it. And it honestly does work.
Bramlett321
2/17/2017 6:38am
Jterry wrote:
The first time I started my yz295 with the billet stic installed it immediately had better throttle response and rev'd noticeable cleaner and faster. Upon riding...
The first time I started my yz295 with the billet stic installed it immediately had better throttle response and rev'd noticeable cleaner and faster. Upon riding it the top end pull was way better and over rev which had been non existent before was much better. I live in a place where I can make a change ride the bike come back and make another change and ride it again before the pipe cools down. The bike comes on the pipe much faster and with more authority than it ever has.

And I have no reason to think its better just because I paid a bunch of money for it. I am one of the ones Derek sent one out to test it. And it honestly does work.
^^^ Man forgive my ignorance but what are you guys talking about when mentioning the STIC carb? Is this an upgraded Keihn or something totally different than the smart carb and Lectron?

Post a reply to: Smart Carb vs Lectron vs STIC Keihin.

The Latest