Mystery Bearing

labbe001
Edited Date/Time 9/9/2020 4:44am
Hi All,
I’m in the process of doing a restoration on a 1991 CR80. It’s been more than a year since I tore the engine down and removed all of the bearings from the bottom end. I purchased a hotrods transmission bearing kit but it does not include a properly sized bearing for the below location:

I’ve tried to research online and look at OEM transmission diagrams but cannot seem to find any info on the proper bearing. I believe this is for the one side of the shift drum. I don’t know why the bearing kit would have included a bearing for one side of the shift drum but not the other. I can’t seem to find an OEM part number for the bearing either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
|
barnett468
1/15/2019 6:31pm Edited Date/Time 1/15/2019 6:33pm
labbe001 wrote:
Hi All, I’m in the process of doing a restoration on a 1991 CR80. It’s been more than a year since I tore the engine down...
Hi All,
I’m in the process of doing a restoration on a 1991 CR80. It’s been more than a year since I tore the engine down and removed all of the bearings from the bottom end. I purchased a hotrods transmission bearing kit but it does not include a properly sized bearing for the below location:

I’ve tried to research online and look at OEM transmission diagrams but cannot seem to find any info on the proper bearing. I believe this is for the one side of the shift drum. I don’t know why the bearing kit would have included a bearing for one side of the shift drum but not the other. I can’t seem to find an OEM part number for the bearing either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
that is odd. can you read the number on the bearing and post it?

is it a different size then the one on the other side of the shift drum?

labbe001
1/15/2019 6:54pm
labbe001 wrote:
Hi All, I’m in the process of doing a restoration on a 1991 CR80. It’s been more than a year since I tore the engine down...
Hi All,

barnett468 wrote:
that is odd. can you read the number on the bearing and post it? is it a different size then the one on the other side...

I no longer have the old bearing. I measured both sides of the shift drum and both measure the same. So the inside diameter would be the same as the bearing in the other (right side). The interesting thing is when I read the description for the bearing kit it states it includes the special needle bearing for the shift drum. However, the only bearing that fits the shift drum isn’t a needle bearing...and it’s just the one bearing that fits into the right side crankcase.
https://www.denniskirk.com/hot-rods/transmission-bearing-kit-tbk0083.p1…

Furthermore, I looked on eBay at crankcases for reference pics just to make sure I’m not crazy. Sure enough, there is a needle bearing that’s supposed to go into the left case. But I still cannot find a kit that includes this bearing nor can I find it on an OEM fiche.
barnett468
1/15/2019 7:35pm
labbe001 wrote:
Hi All,

barnett468 wrote:
that is odd. can you read the number on the bearing and post it? is it a different size then the one on the other side...

ok, it is not on the parts fiche because it is not sold separately. it comes with the shift drum, however, you can buy one if you can find the size. these people below show it in their ad so maybe you can call and see if they will sell it separately or give you the numbers off of it.

https://www.btosports.com/p/hot-rods-transmission-bearring-kits-honda/o…
sandman768
1/15/2019 7:47pm
Usually that bearing shows up either in the crank case section or transmission section of microfishe...I just checked, it does not show up for your model...that is a special thin needle bearing for that end of the shift drum...may have to visit a Honda dealer for that one...I always save my old bearings for just this instance.... My 89 kx250 has a special bearing on the main/sprocket shaft....NLA from Kawasaki & not availible from any bearing house that I could find...good thing I kept it!

The Shop

barnett468
1/15/2019 7:59pm
sandman768 wrote:
Usually that bearing shows up either in the crank case section or transmission section of microfishe...I just checked, it does not show up for your model...that...
Usually that bearing shows up either in the crank case section or transmission section of microfishe...I just checked, it does not show up for your model...that is a special thin needle bearing for that end of the shift drum...may have to visit a Honda dealer for that one...I always save my old bearings for just this instance.... My 89 kx250 has a special bearing on the main/sprocket shaft....NLA from Kawasaki & not availible from any bearing house that I could find...good thing I kept it!
"ok, it is not on the parts fiche because it is not sold separately. it comes with the shift drum, however, you can buy one if you can find the size. these people below show it in their ad so maybe you can call and see if they will sell it separately or give you the numbers off of it."
BAMX
1/15/2019 8:12pm
what is the ID OD and Depth?
dkurtd
1/16/2019 11:49am Edited Date/Time 1/16/2019 10:19pm
Funny thing is everyone who sells the Hot Rods bearing kit TBK0083 says it includes the drum needle bearing but none of the pictures show such bearing. If it were me I would call Hot Rods Inc. and ask them to verify whether it's included or not.

Or, go to a dealer and find a Honda repair manual and see if it shows the bearing. If that doesn't work maybe email one of the guys selling the cases (there are a few) on Ebay and ask if they can tell you what the bearing numbers are provided they are facing outward.

Hard to believe the shift drum was the same for so many years and no where on the internet that bearing number exists.
hothotlena
10/8/2019 9:32pm
So I’m in the same situation that you’re in with my 06 cr85. Can’t find the drum needle bearing anywhere. Did you end up finding it and if so tell me the location of the holy grail please. It’s the only thing holding our rebuild up.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
10/8/2019 10:14pm
labbe001 wrote:
Hi All,

Buy this part number: 91022-GC4-601 from Honda. It's found in the older CR80 parts fiche....look at the crankcase fiche, it'll be item number 13. For whatever reason, Honda stopped listing the part by itself. The cases and shift drum are the same part numbers from 1986 through 1995 at least, and they take the same bearing. I know this because several years ago, I did a 1995 CR80 for my daughters and I ran into the same problem
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
10/8/2019 10:19pm
For the record this part number bearing measures 25mm ID, 30mm OD, and it's 8mm tall
hothotlena
10/9/2019 6:55am
Thanks Hare. You’re the first person able to offer an actual part number that’s even close for our bike. I’m still not sure it’s the same for my newer 85 though. A lot of stuff remained the same for the bikes and it’s cheap enough I might just order it to try it.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
10/10/2019 9:43am Edited Date/Time 10/10/2019 9:49pm
hothotlena wrote:
Thanks Hare. You’re the first person able to offer an actual part number that’s even close for our bike. I’m still not sure it’s the same...
Thanks Hare. You’re the first person able to offer an actual part number that’s even close for our bike. I’m still not sure it’s the same for my newer 85 though. A lot of stuff remained the same for the bikes and it’s cheap enough I might just order it to try it.
Not sure either. That's why I provided the dimensions of the bearing. Prior to ordering, you should measure the OD and height of the shift drum, and the ID of the bearing bore in the case. I'd bet the bearing is the same....the part number for the 1986 CR80 shift drum (where I got the bearing info) is the same as the shift drum for the 2006 CR85. Best of luck

2/20/2020 9:35pm
Hey all , so I'm in the same situation with my 99 cr80. Honda told Me that it is vintage and they do not carry.. only shows older 80s models are the ones that use it!. Very weird no one has a clue where to find this bearing including myself.. I went as far as ordering it from a bike shop in Ireland, just to find out they refunded me because manufacture doesnt supply them anymore!
dkurtd
2/21/2020 7:27pm
1986-2004 had the same shift drum so I would assume it's the same bearing (91022-GC4-601). Honda says it's no longer available but a seller on Ebay says they have 7 available. Search the above P/N on Ebay.
9/1/2020 11:27am
Thanks for the link, I ended up purchasing another case half after trying numerous sites
mx4l
9/1/2020 12:13pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2020 12:16pm
Thanks for the link, I ended up purchasing another case half after trying numerous sites
Did you just use the new case and toss the other? Just wondering..

BTW-- However you need to purchase a box of 20
https://www.mrosupply.com/bearings/needle-roller-bearings/needle-roller…

Also, (if anyone cares) there is another needle bearing in the case -
NTN - HK1512V2
I "believe" this is it -
HK1512 NTN Drawn Cup Needle Roller Bearing- 15 mm ID x 21 mm OD x 12 mm
https://www.walmart.com/ip/HK1512-NTN-Drawn-Cup-Needle-Roller-Bearing-1…
mx4l
9/9/2020 4:44am
As a follow up on this - as of today - this mystery bearing has not been delivered. Nor has customer service responded to when it will be delivered from the above order.
mx4l
9/11/2020 9:07am
So everything posted above regarding sourcing of this bearing by me failed through...MRO supply couldn't get them nor did the Walmart/GlobalPower supplier.

In fact, Global Power has not responded to my 3 requests for status on this. MROSupply could never get a straight answer from NTN on whether they had them or not... I just canceled all the orders. Back to step one now.. ugh..
Ryan_Rosser
1/16/2022 1:39pm
I know I'm a couple years behind because I am currently having the same shift drum needle bearing replacement issue on a 2004 Honda CR85RB.
Come to find out you do not remove the bearing & reuse it,
which is questionable because I'm the type of guy that likes to replace every single case bearing with new OEM bearings when doing any bottom end rebuild.
The biggest problem is when removing it to clean around the case or needle bearing itself is very important to remove it without damaging the needle bearing.
Or just pour fresh oil into the bearing & fitting to clean any dirt or debris if any into the bearing fitting.
A good way to clean cases from any dirt or debris is to put them into warm water & dawn dish detergent or any other good cleaning solution like simple green or mean green etc.
My needle bearing looks pretty good so I'm going to have to reuse it anyway since they are not made for the cr85r/rb.. which is a question mark or maybe Honda tech's seen that they will withstand multiple rebuild's & or hours of use.
Ride Honda or Buy a Honda. 🤟🤙
mx4l
7/5/2022 8:23am
If anyone is still looking for one of these - reply here. I have a few.
cr80r
9/21/2023 6:05am
mx4l wrote:
If anyone is still looking for one of these - reply here. I have a few.

hello the post is a year old but do you still have it

mx4l
9/21/2023 6:09am

I do have a few of these left. PM me. 

Post a reply to: Mystery Bearing

The Latest