How to clean rust off Pro Circuit Works pipe?

45ACP
Edited Date/Time 5/20/2020 6:24pm
What can I use to clean some surface rust off my Pro Circuit Works pipe on my KTM 150sx?

And what can I use to keep it from rusting again?
|
Paul_Pitzonka
5/19/2020 1:50pm Edited Date/Time 5/19/2020 1:50pm
I’ve always used wheel acid to clean raw pipes, and just coat/ wipe them with wd-40 after washing/ riding to prevent surface rust...
yz133rider
5/19/2020 4:24pm Edited Date/Time 5/19/2020 4:25pm
Fill large tub or container with water and 1 gallon of white vinegar. Plug ends of pipe. Soak in the vinegar overnight or longer if need be. 95+% of the rust will literally melt right off of it. Scrub off remaining rust but it will not take much effort at all. If you leave it long enough all of it probably would melt right off.

As soon as remove from vinegar have to spray down and wipe down with wd40 as the bare metal will immediately flash rust.

Super simple, and very cheap.
weland28
Fantasy
2528th
5/19/2020 4:29pm
“Shout” cleaner and scotch brite pads will literally make that thing look brand new in less that 3 minutes. Then wd-40 on a rag afterwards to prevent rust until next time
JohnMatrix
5/19/2020 4:33pm
CLR spray works pretty well but yeah you'll still likely have to hit it with a scotch brite pad. The vinegar idea up there sounds interesting.

The Shop

CSAR FE
5/19/2020 7:39pm
WD40 and a green scotchbrite pad.
kb228
5/20/2020 3:27am
I dont know for sure how it holds up, but clear cerakote might be the answer to the rust problems. Maybe an epoxy resin of sorts. Make the finish you want before applying the coating and then clear coat it with some kind of high temp coating.
Tuna
5/20/2020 4:13am
kb228 wrote:
I dont know for sure how it holds up, but clear cerakote might be the answer to the rust problems. Maybe an epoxy resin of sorts...
I dont know for sure how it holds up, but clear cerakote might be the answer to the rust problems. Maybe an epoxy resin of sorts. Make the finish you want before applying the coating and then clear coat it with some kind of high temp coating.
It’s a raw finish pipe, kind of defeats the purpose by coating it. That’s what nickel plated pipes are for. If you want a raw works pipe, there is some work associated with it. You need to take a pad and solvent and clean it after you ride it, then apply an oil, solvent, silicone to it to protect the finish.
kb228
5/20/2020 4:49am
kb228 wrote:
I dont know for sure how it holds up, but clear cerakote might be the answer to the rust problems. Maybe an epoxy resin of sorts...
Tuna wrote:
It’s a raw finish pipe, kind of defeats the purpose by coating it. That’s what nickel plated pipes are for. If you want a raw works...
It’s a raw finish pipe, kind of defeats the purpose by coating it. That’s what nickel plated pipes are for. If you want a raw works pipe, there is some work associated with it. You need to take a pad and solvent and clean it after you ride it, then apply an oil, solvent, silicone to it to protect the finish.
Thats why i said clear coat and not plated or painted. Clear in any finish will still show the raw look
Tracktor
5/20/2020 10:50am
CLR or acid with scotch brite to clean. Fluid Film to protect........
Tuna
5/20/2020 6:24pm
kb228 wrote:
Tuna wrote:
It’s a raw finish pipe, kind of defeats the purpose by coating it. That’s what nickel plated pipes are for. If you want a raw works...
kb228 wrote:
Thats why i said clear coat and not plated or painted. Clear in any finish will still show the raw look
True
5/20/2020 11:41pm
i recall someone mentioning they use lemon juice, never personally tried it.

Post a reply to: How to clean rust off Pro Circuit Works pipe?

The Latest