Honda CRF Touchy Front Brake

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
Edited Date/Time 2/13/2022 3:22pm
Anyone have problems with the Honda front brake being too touchy? I feel like it's on or off and can't really drag it without almost locking it up.

I tried different pads from Galfer but that didn't change. I tried 270 floating rotor and 270 fixed rotor.

I bought a used Ride Engineering caliper but haven't tried that yet.

Any thoughts? Thank you!
|
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
12/22/2019 6:23am
Sounds like something is weird with your master cylinder. Honda brakes are not known for being so touchy. I have a Moto Stuff 280mm rotor and their pads on my CRF and it is not touchy at all. Very easy to modulate. I have the Galfer Kevlar pads and Galfer rotors on my YZ's and I noticed the pads are the exact opposite of touchy. No bite at all. Just smooth. Too smooth for some people.
Naanak
12/22/2019 6:27am Edited Date/Time 12/22/2019 6:27am
I did a 270mm floating rotor and that seemed to help for me. It’s not a huge difference but gives a little more play initially. I could Not stand how on off touchy they were.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
12/22/2019 8:27am
Anyone try a different master cylinder? I used to the KTM Brembo feel and it’s much more progressive with less bite. Might just take time to get the feel
AJ565
12/23/2019 7:23am
I rode a buddys 2018 CRF 450 yesterday and his front brake was like that too. For sure a different feel than my KTM.

The Shop

mxracer666
12/23/2019 7:35am
I have a 2018 CRF front brake set up and its the same way ! It is very grabby, and barely touching the lever it's ON/OFF. I've been tempted to crack the banjo bolt , to let some air into the system, to create some "progression". Been like this since brand new from dealer...Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
hbdesigns913
12/27/2019 8:44am
Take the caliper off and hold it above the lever/ master cylinder. But a block between the pads and bleed the brake. I had the same issue with my Honda.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
2/9/2020 2:21pm
I just put on a Ride Eng caliper and using OEM from pads.

The feel is more progressive, but still not as smooth as Brembo/KTM.

Can I use a Ktm Brembo master cylinder with the Honda caliper to see if the feel is better?
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
2/9/2020 2:41pm
I just put on a Ride Eng caliper and using OEM from pads. The feel is more progressive, but still not as smooth as Brembo/KTM. Can...

Can I use a Ktm Brembo master cylinder with the Honda caliper to see if the feel is better?
This would seem to imply it's a simple bolt on.

https://oemdirtbikeparts.com/product/crf250r-front-brake-upgrade-brembo…

A google search pulls up threads on other forums where people are saying they bolted the brembo on a CRF. Probably need to mix and match banjo bolts.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
2/9/2020 10:03pm
I just put on a Ride Eng caliper and using OEM from pads. The feel is more progressive, but still not as smooth as Brembo/KTM. Can...

FGR01 wrote:
This would seem to imply it's a simple bolt on. https://oemdirtbikeparts.com/product/crf250r-front-brake-upgrade-brembo-master-cylinder-9mm-2004-2019/ A google search pulls up threads on other forums where people are saying they bolted...

A google search pulls up threads on other forums where people are saying they bolted the brembo on a CRF. Probably need to mix and match banjo bolts.
Thanks, I checked out a few more sites and borrowed the master off my 2016 KTM 125 to see how it works before I buy another!

The need to use a KTM banjo with the CRF brake line.

The left is stock Honda, middle is stock ktm and right is ktm by Galfer. I used the Galfer banjo because it was closer to the hole pattern of the Stock Honda and the hole was deeper into the master cylinder when bolting on.

I wonder how much the banjo bolt plans in the feel and braking power?
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
2/10/2020 3:54pm
I'd guess a really sensitive rider could notice mild differences between the banjo bolts.
Billy G
11/21/2021 7:52pm
Billy G wrote:
this kit did it for me- 260mm motosutff rotor with an 11mm master from OEMdirtbikeparts.com and the bling caliper. recommend going with a 9mm if ur...
this kit did it for me- 260mm motosutff rotor with an 11mm master from OEMdirtbikeparts.com and the bling caliper. recommend going with a 9mm if ur looking for less touchy

https://oemdirtbikeparts.com/product/honda-brembo-caliper-for-dirt-bike…

https://oemdirtbikeparts.com/product/dirt-bike-brembo-front-brake-lever…

Don't mind the brake line routing, it was a long day!

Rider 5280
11/21/2021 11:07pm Edited Date/Time 11/23/2021 9:22am
Billy G wrote:
this kit did it for me- 260mm motosutff rotor with an 11mm master from OEMdirtbikeparts.com and the bling caliper. recommend going with a 9mm if ur...
this kit did it for me- 260mm motosutff rotor with an 11mm master from OEMdirtbikeparts.com and the bling caliper. recommend going with a 9mm if ur looking for less touchy

https://oemdirtbikeparts.com/product/honda-brembo-caliper-for-dirt-bike…

https://oemdirtbikeparts.com/product/dirt-bike-brembo-front-brake-lever…

Daaaang it! I've been looking for this setup for YEARS!

A billet Brembo caliper for Japanese bikes. Tears of joy ...

THANK YOU!
Donk122
11/24/2021 6:05pm

FGR01 wrote:
This would seem to imply it's a simple bolt on. https://oemdirtbikeparts.com/product/crf250r-front-brake-upgrade-brembo-master-cylinder-9mm-2004-2019/ A google search pulls up threads on other forums where people are saying they bolted...

Thanks, I checked out a few more sites and borrowed the master off my 2016 KTM 125 to see how it works before I buy another...
Thanks, I checked out a few more sites and borrowed the master off my 2016 KTM 125 to see how it works before I buy another!

The left is stock Honda, middle is stock ktm and right is ktm by Galfer. I used the Galfer banjo because it was closer to the hole pattern of the Stock Honda and the hole was deeper into the master cylinder when bolting on.

It does A LOT. I used to swap out the production slotted banjos for the traditional holes from a different year model at husky for Brownie and Haaker for Endurocross. Stock was too touchy for the low speeds, literally swapped the Banjo bolts, fixed. Progressive.
Rider 5280
11/24/2021 6:27pm
FGR01 wrote:

Thanks, I checked out a few more sites and borrowed the master off my 2016 KTM 125 to see how it works before I buy another...

Donk122 wrote:
It does A LOT. I used to swap out the production slotted banjos for the traditional holes from a different year model at husky for Brownie...
It does A LOT. I used to swap out the production slotted banjos for the traditional holes from a different year model at husky for Brownie and Haaker for Endurocross. Stock was too touchy for the low speeds, literally swapped the Banjo bolts, fixed. Progressive.
Wow ... I would have NEVER guessed that.

So what year banjos should we shoot for to achieve the progressive (not touchy) feel?
2/12/2022 12:43pm

Donk122 wrote:
It does A LOT. I used to swap out the production slotted banjos for the traditional holes from a different year model at husky for Brownie...
Rider 5280 wrote:

So what year banjos should we shoot for to achieve the progressive (not touchy) feel?
Did you find out about this (what banjo is needed)? If just the banjo can make a difference, I'm all ear... 👌
Yeti831
2/12/2022 7:32pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2022 7:34pm
Random thought but have you tried adjusting the lever closer to the bar?

I kicked my ARCs out more one day and found that just the way I got on the front brake made it super touchy. I moved it closer to the bar and it’s back to being very linear.

Beyond that, maybe a MC issue.

Just wanted to throw that out there before you go spending money since adjustment is free 👍
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
2/12/2022 10:42pm
Donk122 wrote:
Rider 5280 wrote:

Did you find out about this (what banjo is needed)? If just the banjo can make a difference, I'm all ear... 👌
Just need the banjo with holes in the side and bottom. Like this one. https://www.royaldistributing.com/ride-engineering-banjo-bolt-kit-m10x1…

KTm banjo has a slotted area that goes thru all the threads. See the early posts for photos.
2/13/2022 10:48am
Rider 5280 wrote:

Just need the banjo with holes in the side and bottom. Like this one. https://www.royaldistributing.com/ride-engineering-banjo-bolt-kit-m10x1-0p.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA0p2QBhDvARIsAACSOOMdNuscQgFnnKesS26dIILI1h81R6PQAzFP1NjX5PatPkuMnmNbCxEaAqp7EALw_wcB KTm banjo has a slotted area that goes thru all the...
Just need the banjo with holes in the side and bottom. Like this one. https://www.royaldistributing.com/ride-engineering-banjo-bolt-kit-m10x1…

KTm banjo has a slotted area that goes thru all the threads. See the early posts for photos.
Got it. Thank you!
2/13/2022 10:53am
Yeti831 wrote:
Random thought but have you tried adjusting the lever closer to the bar? I kicked my ARCs out more one day and found that just the...
Random thought but have you tried adjusting the lever closer to the bar?

I kicked my ARCs out more one day and found that just the way I got on the front brake made it super touchy. I moved it closer to the bar and it’s back to being very linear.

Beyond that, maybe a MC issue.

Just wanted to throw that out there before you go spending money since adjustment is free 👍
Thanks for the info. I did indeed try several lever positions, but it's really not that. The brake is really (really) touchy, it's on/off. I will be able to test a Brembo kit from a KTM; I just need to check where to get the other type banjo bolt.
Grouper
2/13/2022 3:22pm

FGR01 wrote:

I just picked up a new mc350. I think the brembos are a little squishy lol.. I really like the on off switch front brakes with low input force to the lever. I also have a CRF Master on my YZ250 but I just don't know if I am keen on using that just yet. Any thoughts? I am wanting the inverse of what you are basically lol. I also haven't even started the bike yet so probably need to just wear the pads in before they bite hard. I'm insanely picky about front brakes because i seldom use the rear for much.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
2/14/2022 4:51pm
FGR01 wrote:

Grouper wrote:
I just picked up a new mc350. I think the brembos are a little squishy lol.. I really like the on off switch front brakes with...
I just picked up a new mc350. I think the brembos are a little squishy lol.. I really like the on off switch front brakes with low input force to the lever. I also have a CRF Master on my YZ250 but I just don't know if I am keen on using that just yet. Any thoughts? I am wanting the inverse of what you are basically lol. I also haven't even started the bike yet so probably need to just wear the pads in before they bite hard. I'm insanely picky about front brakes because i seldom use the rear for much.
Am oversized non floating rotor, steel braided brake line will help with bite. The factory Barenboim caliper might help as well. Maybe also just needs a bleed to remove air in line?

Post a reply to: Honda CRF Touchy Front Brake

The Latest