Fitting an R&D genius throttle body

Has anyone here ever fitted one to a ktm? I have just bought a secondhand/hardly used unit for my 17 KTM 450sxf but the guy I bought it off has lost the instructions. It came with a matched vortex ecu. It seems simple enough, should just be plug and play, but just wanted to know if anyone has any tips/thinks to look out for. Cheers.
|
jaredkeller96
1/25/2018 6:47am
If it already has everything installed, injector, tps, map sensor hook it up. Set the tps with the vortex software if you have access let her rip
1/25/2018 4:11pm Edited Date/Time 1/29/2018 8:31pm
I have installed it, it was no problem, plug and play, the fuel line needed to be modified as the genius throttle body fuel intake is at the top, the standard throttle body intake is at the bottom. I removed the standard in-line fuel filter as well...I don't use dirty fuel.

It started up no worries, I let it run for a few minutes then reved it up a few times. there was a small puff of black smoke each rev. I will give it a test ride tomorrow.
1/25/2018 6:01pm Edited Date/Time 3/12/2018 1:28pm
If it already has everything installed, injector, tps, map sensor hook it up. Set the tps with the vortex software if you have access let her...
If it already has everything installed, injector, tps, map sensor hook it up. Set the tps with the vortex software if you have access let her rip
full fmf 4.1 system, and 490 kit coming soon.
3/10/2018 12:52am
Its been a while but I have just had the weather and time to try this thing out. Yesterday between rain (I live in the tropics) I went for the first ride, which was about 4 minutes. It took a while to get it started, more that with the standard ecu and throttle body. But once it did i rode up and back a 500m (1/2 ish mile) twice. It did back fire once on the first of the 4 directions. Today I started it again, this seems to be a problem, I flattened the battery before it started, I have never flattened the battery on the bike before (it nearly started). I hooked it up to a charger then it started straight up and I let it idle for a minute.

I am not getting good vibes from this setup right now, if anyone has any experience with these could you let me know please. I would swap the genius throttle body and the matched vortex ecu for a vortex alone that suits the 17 ktm450sxf at this point.

Thanks.

The Shop

Bruce372
3/10/2018 9:34am
It's not hard to flatten the battery on a 17 with just the stock engine. Especially if it's cold
3/10/2018 3:28pm
Pretty sure the stock batteries aren’t really all that good. You can order a Shorai(?) one and they are lighter and last longer.

Sounds like the bike is running lean, judging from backfiring. Richen the map if you can.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
3/12/2018 4:41am
Its been a while but I have just had the weather and time to try this thing out. Yesterday between rain (I live in the tropics)...
Its been a while but I have just had the weather and time to try this thing out. Yesterday between rain (I live in the tropics) I went for the first ride, which was about 4 minutes. It took a while to get it started, more that with the standard ecu and throttle body. But once it did i rode up and back a 500m (1/2 ish mile) twice. It did back fire once on the first of the 4 directions. Today I started it again, this seems to be a problem, I flattened the battery before it started, I have never flattened the battery on the bike before (it nearly started). I hooked it up to a charger then it started straight up and I let it idle for a minute.

I am not getting good vibes from this setup right now, if anyone has any experience with these could you let me know please. I would swap the genius throttle body and the matched vortex ecu for a vortex alone that suits the 17 ktm450sxf at this point.

Thanks.
The Genius takes some pretty wild mapping changes to run properly, going to standard ECU or Vortex set for a stock/near-stock bike will cause a big problem.
Mx746
3/12/2018 8:00am
I ran a genius w vortex on a 14 cr450 in hopes of curing flame outs, while it helped slightly it wasn’t a fix. The bike ran very well and the mapping was convenient with the x10. It was just nature of the beast to flame out more than other brands.
3/12/2018 12:43pm
Its been a while but I have just had the weather and time to try this thing out. Yesterday between rain (I live in the tropics)...

Thanks.
ML512 wrote:
The Genius takes some pretty wild mapping changes to run properly, going to standard ECU or Vortex set for a stock/near-stock bike will cause a big...
The Genius takes some pretty wild mapping changes to run properly, going to standard ECU or Vortex set for a stock/near-stock bike will cause a big problem.
It have fitted the vortex ecu that came with the throttle body from r&d, I have only ridden it for about 2 minutes and it seemed to be right. Starting the bike was not good though.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
3/12/2018 1:10pm

Thanks.
ML512 wrote:
The Genius takes some pretty wild mapping changes to run properly, going to standard ECU or Vortex set for a stock/near-stock bike will cause a big...
It have fitted the vortex ecu that came with the throttle body from r&d, I have only ridden it for about 2 minutes and it seemed...
It have fitted the vortex ecu that came with the throttle body from r&d, I have only ridden it for about 2 minutes and it seemed to be right. Starting the bike was not good though.
I had a conversation about the R&D body a few weeks ago with the engine builder for Geico Honda (they used these bodies for a few races around seven or eight years ago). He mentioned constantly taking them apart for maintenance and problems with the idle constantly changing...this along with other problems/inconsistent results made them quickly go away from the throttle body.

Just a heads up...
3/12/2018 1:22pm
ML512 wrote:
It have fitted the vortex ecu that came with the throttle body from r&d, I have only ridden it for about 2 minutes and it seemed...
ML512 wrote:
I had a conversation about the R&D body a few weeks ago with the engine builder for Geico Honda (they used these bodies for a few...
I had a conversation about the R&D body a few weeks ago with the engine builder for Geico Honda (they used these bodies for a few races around seven or eight years ago). He mentioned constantly taking them apart for maintenance and problems with the idle constantly changing...this along with other problems/inconsistent results made them quickly go away from the throttle body.

Just a heads up...
I have a race this weekend so hopefully it goes well. If not I will sell it or try and swap it for a vortex that suits the standard bike/throttle body. I appreciate the heads up, thanks.
3/12/2018 1:26pm
Mx746 wrote:
I ran a genius w vortex on a 14 cr450 in hopes of curing flame outs, while it helped slightly it wasn’t a fix. The bike...
I ran a genius w vortex on a 14 cr450 in hopes of curing flame outs, while it helped slightly it wasn’t a fix. The bike ran very well and the mapping was convenient with the x10. It was just nature of the beast to flame out more than other brands.
Are you still running the genius? How long did/have you run it for?
PJSMAN
4/4/2019 6:43pm
Did you get the Genius throttle body running correctly?

Post a reply to: Fitting an R&D genius throttle body

The Latest