Cleanest Tire Changing Method

NJKawi913
Just curious to see what everyone here does to change tires without marring up their rims. I usually do a set of tires a year so i never get a lot of practice. When i first started doing my own tires i used those crappy plastic rims savers, but have recently started to just just a set of electrical taped tire irons and the seem to yield the best results
|
10/20/2020 12:41pm
NJKawi913 wrote:
Just curious to see what everyone here does to change tires without marring up their rims. I usually do a set of tires a year so...
Just curious to see what everyone here does to change tires without marring up their rims. I usually do a set of tires a year so i never get a lot of practice. When i first started doing my own tires i used those crappy plastic rims savers, but have recently started to just just a set of electrical taped tire irons and the seem to yield the best results
I typically go for lots of lube and the motion pro rim savers. Tape works well too though.
kwoody51
10/20/2020 8:22pm
Cut off some pieces from a milk jug and stick between rim and tire iron.

Have a pair of gold rims that look brand new!

Motion pro ones were too thick for my liking.
mx317
10/21/2020 6:55am
Baja No-Pinch for installation. I kind of thought it was a gimmick until I used one. I use rim protectors when removing the tire, but not sure what brand.
mwssquad827
10/21/2020 1:29pm
Moose spoons (3 is perfect) and dish soap super easy and you can spray with hose and it’s cleans it up well

The Shop

nicko-31
10/21/2020 5:16pm
Zipp tie method to install. Works especially well on road bikes.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
10/21/2020 7:59pm
I wrap some electrical tape around the spoon if I’m really afraid to scratch it. I’ve got good technique and usually only do that for other peoples brand new wheels
Tracktor
10/22/2020 1:44pm
I posted a "foolproof" write up awhile back. I change a ton of tires ill even do it at track for people if they pull off bike. Easy as ever & rarely have any issues...........All you should need for tools is two spoons & a bead buddy....Obviously valve core tool and air also.......
chump6784
10/24/2020 6:03pm
Motion Pro tyre spoons. They are rounded on the end so they are less likely to scratch rims or pinch tubes. When I ran Pirelli rear tyres I would do 3 ride days then turn the tyre around for another 3 ride days then turf it. I've done plenty of tyre changes now and those tyre spoons are awesome
B Lenny
10/27/2020 2:45pm Edited Date/Time 10/27/2020 2:50pm
mx317 wrote:
Baja No-Pinch for installation. I kind of thought it was a gimmick until I used one. I use rim protectors when removing the tire, but not...
Baja No-Pinch for installation. I kind of thought it was a gimmick until I used one. I use rim protectors when removing the tire, but not sure what brand.
Wink ...I have the Baja tool and didn't even break a sweat..
10/31/2020 12:10pm Edited Date/Time 10/31/2020 1:10pm
I use the Stubby tire tools for removal and a Baja No-pinch for installation and never have to worry about scratching a rim or breaking a sweat.

If you're old enough to remember the "Breezer" tire tool you can actually flip the Stubby's over and use them like a Breezer once you get the bead broke over the rim. Just hammer it around the rim and peal it off, or just use them like regular irons and pry it off. I do each bead to it's respective side and pull the wheel out of the tire once both beads are off.

With the tube in the tire and a slight amount of air to keep it's form, I use the Stubby's to get the bead started then finish with the No-pinch for installation.

Lube is your friend coming off and going on.
10/31/2020 8:15pm
Yes, it is. Mine is actually the TMT version that came out of Estonia about 8 years ago and it has put on a lot of tires. The Baja version is identical and all the parts interchange, so I assume they are importing them. Regardless, they are a very legit and well made. My buddy has the Baja version so I can vouch for it, too.
DaBaum44
10/31/2020 8:50pm
Removal:
Motion Pro Rim Savers
3 Tire spoons (I've found the spoon shaped ones work best for removal)

Break the bead on both sides, then bring the tire over the rim on both sides. Then pull the rim straight out (up). Cameron Niemela has a great video of it.

Install:
Motion Pro Bead Buddy
Baja No Pinch Tool (one of the best tools I've ever bought)

Using this method/tools, the rims don't get scratched and you don't have to worry about pinching a tube. Time wise not the most efficient, but I'm going for quality.

Post a reply to: Cleanest Tire Changing Method

The Latest