Net Neutrality Repeal

NorCal 50+
1/29/2018 10:30am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Do people know that the repeal of net neutrality allows internet providers to control the web sites you access? In other words, you won't be exposed...
Do people know that the repeal of net neutrality allows internet providers to control the web sites you access? In other words, you won't be exposed to anything that harms the media-corporate-government establishment.
Let's say there is a big news item that the corporation that provides your internet has a financial interest in, such as the current debate over net neutrality. They will be able to control the information you receive about it, and believe me, they will.

Orwell and Huxley warned us about all this, but it is inexorable that they are creating a surveillance/control mechanism (the Internet) that will be unlike anything history has ever seen. Who is going to be able to run for President when their most private communications, thoughts and issues from their earliest childhood onward are stored in data banks to be accessed by any government/corporate goon who wants it?
SKlein wrote:
I think you meant that it can, in theory, allow them to prioritize connections to certain sites without NN. Your statement makes it sound like they...
I think you meant that it can, in theory, allow them to prioritize connections to certain sites without NN. Your statement makes it sound like they would force you onto sites when that's not entirely true. And in terms of exposing you to certain materials that's already happening with data-mining (the ads you see on sites catered to your browsing history for example).
My understanding is that they can cut off certain web sites (especially now that corporations like Google and Facebook are becoming our "Ministries of Truth" by weeding out "fake news."-- which is total insanity). Maybe I'm wrong, but I will look into it.

I graduated high school in 1984, and we read the book, so it was even more memorable. I thought it was pointless to read at the time, because I never thought anything like that would ever happen or could ever happen in the USA.

Flash-forward 34 years and it is far worse than I ever could have imagined. These listening devices in homes will not lead to good things. It is easy to sound paranoid, but as a journalist I have an interest in keeping the government out of my communications. Journalism doesn't happen in a surveillance world- period.
SKlein
1/29/2018 11:01am Edited Date/Time 1/29/2018 11:05am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
My understanding is that they can cut off certain web sites (especially now that corporations like Google and Facebook are becoming our "Ministries of Truth" by...
My understanding is that they can cut off certain web sites (especially now that corporations like Google and Facebook are becoming our "Ministries of Truth" by weeding out "fake news."-- which is total insanity). Maybe I'm wrong, but I will look into it.

I graduated high school in 1984, and we read the book, so it was even more memorable. I thought it was pointless to read at the time, because I never thought anything like that would ever happen or could ever happen in the USA.

Flash-forward 34 years and it is far worse than I ever could have imagined. These listening devices in homes will not lead to good things. It is easy to sound paranoid, but as a journalist I have an interest in keeping the government out of my communications. Journalism doesn't happen in a surveillance world- period.
I imagine there would be some legal issues with straight up blocking sites like you're describing, but I don't know for certain. The point is that they won't have to deal with as much trouble if they just throttled specific domains, and that's where the problem lies with this entire topic. RacerX pays Comcast money to have their connection prioritized over other MX Media sites; too damn bad Vital you're throttled now (example on a small scale). When ISP's decide to abuse that power things may get out of hand.
early
Fantasy
2231st
6/12/2018 3:57pm
We shall see what happens
BMSOBx2
6/12/2018 4:05pm Edited Date/Time 6/12/2018 4:24pm
My issue is currently, through most providers, if you want the high zoot, quickest, fastest connections you pay a premium for it. Now they're going to be able to throttle your access and slow down your connection just because. Since they've just gutted the Consumer Protection Agency you really don't have any recourse for complaining about it and proving that they're doing it is going to be a b****. Once again consumers lose and it's going to cost you more. We won't even talk about the potential censorship issues. That's a whole other can of worms. Add Fahrenheit 451 to your reading lists.

The Shop

TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2562nd
6/22/2018 7:47pm
BMSOBx2 wrote:
My issue is currently, through most providers, if you want the high zoot, quickest, fastest connections you pay a premium for it. Now they're going to...
My issue is currently, through most providers, if you want the high zoot, quickest, fastest connections you pay a premium for it. Now they're going to be able to throttle your access and slow down your connection just because. Since they've just gutted the Consumer Protection Agency you really don't have any recourse for complaining about it and proving that they're doing it is going to be a b****. Once again consumers lose and it's going to cost you more. We won't even talk about the potential censorship issues. That's a whole other can of worms. Add Fahrenheit 451 to your reading lists.
Yamaha could decide to build their bikes with a “premium ecu” option that forces you to pay a monthly subscription for tuned injection, or to even ride the thing at all. They have the technology to literally throttle back your bike the way these evil isp companies supposedly will. But they don’t, because they wouldn’t sell bikes. Why should I assume isp Cos. will do so.

But really, follow the money here. The two largest proponents of NN were google and Facebook. Why? Because net neutrality would make it illegal for ISPs to collect and profit from data acquired from subscribers. G and FB don’t like that because it’s literally their entire business. You talk about 1984 as if we’re tumbling into some hyper surveillance police state, but we’ve been there for some time as google and Facebook (as admitted by zuckerberg during his congressional hearing) already collect the data of users who AREN’T EVEN USERS OF THEIR PLATFORMS. But let’s go one better and make the FCC the arbiters of internet taste.
BMSOBx2
6/22/2018 9:47pm
BMSOBx2 wrote:
My issue is currently, through most providers, if you want the high zoot, quickest, fastest connections you pay a premium for it. Now they're going to...
Yamaha could decide to build their bikes with a “premium ecu” option that forces you to pay a monthly subscription for tuned injection, or to even...
Yamaha could decide to build their bikes with a “premium ecu” option that forces you to pay a monthly subscription for tuned injection, or to even ride the thing at all. They have the technology to literally throttle back your bike the way these evil isp companies supposedly will. But they don’t, because they wouldn’t sell bikes. Why should I assume isp Cos. will do so.

But really, follow the money here. The two largest proponents of NN were google and Facebook. Why? Because net neutrality would make it illegal for ISPs to collect and profit from data acquired from subscribers. G and FB don’t like that because it’s literally their entire business. You talk about 1984 as if we’re tumbling into some hyper surveillance police state, but we’ve been there for some time as google and Facebook (as admitted by zuckerberg during his congressional hearing) already collect the data of users who AREN’T EVEN USERS OF THEIR PLATFORMS. But let’s go one better and make the FCC the arbiters of internet taste.
It's true we've been there a long time. I'm not that concerned about the surveillance side of it. What I don't want is someone filtering my content. The ramifications of that are truly scary.

Post a reply to: Net Neutrality Repeal

The Latest