Net Neutrality Repeal

SEEMEFIRST
12/19/2017 5:29pm
ToolMaker wrote:
Yep, we all saw how great the outcome when they regulated health insurance. Maybe we can get them to regulate gas prices too? I don't think...
Yep, we all saw how great the outcome when they regulated health insurance.
Maybe we can get them to regulate gas prices too?
I don't think the interweb has been designated a "public utility" which would seem to be under a different umbrella.
But when you tell a company how they have to sell their product, are you not in effect regulating commerce? And if so, isn't congress the only one with authority to regulate commerce?
Just an odd thought.
... do you mean when the government stepped in to help upwards of 20 million people get healthcare that couldn't afford it otherwise?
You and I stepped in, not the government.

The government has no job that earns a paycheck.
akillerwombat
12/19/2017 6:25pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:

And who required us to step in?
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
12/19/2017 7:40pm
ToolMaker wrote:
Yep, we all saw how great the outcome when they regulated health insurance. Maybe we can get them to regulate gas prices too? I don't think...
I don't think the interweb has been designated a "public utility" which would seem to be under a different umbrella.
But when you tell a company how they have to sell their product, are you not in effect regulating commerce? And if so, isn't congress the only one with authority to regulate commerce?
Just an odd thought.
... do you mean when the government stepped in to help upwards of 20 million people get healthcare that couldn't afford it otherwise?
There's an old saying in the media,
"If you say it enough it becomes the truth"
Fortunately we now know the real truth, and that aint it.
akillerwombat
12/19/2017 7:55pm Edited Date/Time 12/19/2017 7:56pm
ToolMaker wrote:
There's an old saying in the media, "If you say it enough it becomes the truth" Fortunately we now know the real truth, and that aint...
There's an old saying in the media,
"If you say it enough it becomes the truth"
Fortunately we now know the real truth, and that aint it.
Then prove me (and the media) wrong.

What's the "real" truth?

The Shop

early
Fantasy
2231st
12/19/2017 8:36pm Edited Date/Time 12/19/2017 8:37pm
ToolMaker wrote:
Just an odd thought.
When the balance of power shifts again we may see a designation of "public utility". Something that may not happen if the rules were allowed to stay in place. 2 overcorrections will occur instead of just doing things sensibly.

And can we keep the healthcare debate out of this.
12/20/2017 6:03am
SEEMEFIRST wrote:

And who required us to step in?
All the yes votes in the 536 individuals that make the decisions for 300 million in our country. But put a clause that doesn’t make them abide by it.
akillerwombat
12/20/2017 6:29am Edited Date/Time 12/20/2017 6:30am
All the yes votes in the 536 individuals that make the decisions for 300 million in our country. But put a clause that doesn’t make them...
All the yes votes in the 536 individuals that make the decisions for 300 million in our country. But put a clause that doesn’t make them abide by it.
... and 3 yes votes decided for 300 million how the internet would be set up.
newmann
12/20/2017 6:42am
ToolMaker wrote:
Just an odd thought.
And raised my rates from $300.00 to $1100.00? FBHO
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
12/20/2017 10:45am
Then prove me (and the media) wrong.

What's the "real" truth?
Don't worry, in a few years even you will see the great con. Wink
TM
akillerwombat
12/20/2017 11:11am
ToolMaker wrote:
TM
Me: You mean like the 20 million people that now have healthcare?
You: You know there's a saying...
Me: Prove me wrong.
You: You'll see...
Me: So, no evidence?

You make a compelling argument, sir.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
12/20/2017 11:20am
ToolMaker wrote:
TM
[b]Me:[/b] You mean like the 20 million people that now have healthcare? [b]You:[/b] You know there's a saying... [b]Me:[/b] Prove me wrong. [b]You:[/b] You'll see... [b]Me:[/b]...
Me: You mean like the 20 million people that now have healthcare?
You: You know there's a saying...
Me: Prove me wrong.
Me: So, no evidence?

You make a compelling argument, sir.
Not my responsibility to educate you young grasshopper,
It's an unending task, you would just keep picking out
meaningless "fabricated statistics" that support your thoughts.
Sorry not going down that rabbit hole. The information is there
if you really are interested though.
akillerwombat
12/20/2017 11:27am Edited Date/Time 12/20/2017 11:28am
ToolMaker wrote:
Not my responsibility to educate you young grasshopper, It's an unending task, you would just keep picking out meaningless "fabricated statistics" that support your thoughts. Sorry...
Not my responsibility to educate you young grasshopper,
It's an unending task, you would just keep picking out
meaningless "fabricated statistics" that support your thoughts.
Sorry not going down that rabbit hole. The information is there
if you really are interested though.
Nothing like an old guy telling a young guy he's dumb yet refuses to pass down his knowledge – and you say the youth is destroying this country?

Sure, while it's not your "responsibility to educate me", of which I suspect there is very little you could actually educate me on, it would be the decent thing to do... but I suppose that's expecting too much of you.
woodsrider427
12/20/2017 12:24pm Edited Date/Time 12/20/2017 12:27pm
ToolMaker wrote:
Just an odd thought.
And screwed a lot of us in the meantime
akillerwombat
1/24/2018 3:32pm

You know shit is dark when people are learning about what the government is doing from Burger King commercials.
XXVoid MainXX
1/24/2018 6:15pm Edited Date/Time 1/24/2018 6:23pm
That really is the dumbest video I've ever seen. Yeah, the Internet has completely fallen apart since they've repealed that stupid shit. I can barely post anti-alien drivel on Vital anymore. Smile Was the video intending to be pro or anti net neutrality, or just intending to be plain stupid? There is nothing stopping Burger King from doing exactly what they are showing in the video because there is no such thing as burger neutrality. So why don't they? Because it wouldn't make good business sense. People would just go across the street and get a Big Mac, even though it sucks compared to a Whopper. We don't need Net Neutrality laws any more than we need Burger Neutrality laws.
early
Fantasy
2231st
1/25/2018 6:37am
Wow thread back from the dead. Void, it will be years before we can fully determine the impact of a net neautrality repeal. To do so today is a shortsighted, incomplete argument.
XXVoid MainXX
1/25/2018 8:22am
Ha ha, okay. Even though we had 30 years of data before the meaningless law ever went into effect. Smile
early
Fantasy
2231st
1/25/2018 9:59am
Ha ha, okay. Even though we had 30 years of data before the meaningless law ever went into effect. Smile
Website based web traffic has historically been the focus for most people, this is shifting in a big way. The internet of the last 10 years is way different than it was for the 20 years previous. The next 10 years looks to be on another majorly changing trajectory. But life goes on...
71Fish
1/25/2018 5:43pm
My interweb machine works just like it did a few months ago.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
1/25/2018 5:58pm
early wrote:
Wow thread back from the dead. Void, it will be years before we can fully determine the impact of a net neautrality repeal. To do so...
Wow thread back from the dead. Void, it will be years before we can fully determine the impact of a net neautrality repeal. To do so today is a shortsighted, incomplete argument.
So driving in my truck today I heard AT&T is proposing net neutrality 2.0
But this time in addition to preventing the hardware guys from discrimination,
it would also apply to the tech overlords. So companies like Facebook couldn't
do it either.
What do yo think of that?
TM
early
Fantasy
2231st
1/26/2018 6:04am Edited Date/Time 1/26/2018 6:09am
early wrote:
Wow thread back from the dead. Void, it will be years before we can fully determine the impact of a net neautrality repeal. To do so...
ToolMaker wrote:
So driving in my truck today I heard AT&T is proposing net neutrality 2.0 But this time in addition to preventing the hardware guys from discrimination...
So driving in my truck today I heard AT&T is proposing net neutrality 2.0
But this time in addition to preventing the hardware guys from discrimination,
it would also apply to the tech overlords. So companies like Facebook couldn't
do it either.
What do yo think of that?
TM
I would have to look at what the proposal looks like before forming an opinion. I dont use facebook anymore except to check out the local buy sell trade page once in a blue moon. I dont like Zuckerberg or his policies/motivations.
SKlein
1/26/2018 1:32pm
That really is the dumbest video I've ever seen. Yeah, the Internet has completely fallen apart since they've repealed that stupid shit. I can barely post...
That really is the dumbest video I've ever seen. Yeah, the Internet has completely fallen apart since they've repealed that stupid shit. I can barely post anti-alien drivel on Vital anymore. Smile Was the video intending to be pro or anti net neutrality, or just intending to be plain stupid? There is nothing stopping Burger King from doing exactly what they are showing in the video because there is no such thing as burger neutrality. So why don't they? Because it wouldn't make good business sense. People would just go across the street and get a Big Mac, even though it sucks compared to a Whopper. We don't need Net Neutrality laws any more than we need Burger Neutrality laws.
The amount of nonsense you've spewed on this topic is absolutely impressive. People can't "go across the street and get a Bic Mac" because a large majority of the country only has one option to choose from currently.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
1/27/2018 6:42am
That really is the dumbest video I've ever seen. Yeah, the Internet has completely fallen apart since they've repealed that stupid shit. I can barely post...
SKlein wrote:
The amount of nonsense you've spewed on this topic is absolutely impressive. People can't "go across the street and get a Bic Mac" because a large...
The amount of nonsense you've spewed on this topic is absolutely impressive. People can't "go across the street and get a Bic Mac" because a large majority of the country only has one option to choose from currently.
Like cable, satellite, or cell phone? Here's an idea, just steal your neighbors wifi and let them worry about it Woohoo
And when they find out, you can scream "net neutrality" just because I didn't pay you can't cut me off!
NorCal 50+
1/28/2018 9:57am
Do people know that the repeal of net neutrality allows internet providers to control the web sites you access? In other words, you won't be exposed to anything that harms the media-corporate-government establishment.
Let's say there is a big news item that the corporation that provides your internet has a financial interest in, such as the current debate over net neutrality. They will be able to control the information you receive about it, and believe me, they will.

Orwell and Huxley warned us about all this, but it is inexorable that they are creating a surveillance/control mechanism (the Internet) that will be unlike anything history has ever seen. Who is going to be able to run for President when their most private communications, thoughts and issues from their earliest childhood onward are stored in data banks to be accessed by any government/corporate goon who wants it?
1/28/2018 2:14pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Do people know that the repeal of net neutrality allows internet providers to control the web sites you access? In other words, you won't be exposed...
Do people know that the repeal of net neutrality allows internet providers to control the web sites you access? In other words, you won't be exposed to anything that harms the media-corporate-government establishment.
Let's say there is a big news item that the corporation that provides your internet has a financial interest in, such as the current debate over net neutrality. They will be able to control the information you receive about it, and believe me, they will.

Orwell and Huxley warned us about all this, but it is inexorable that they are creating a surveillance/control mechanism (the Internet) that will be unlike anything history has ever seen. Who is going to be able to run for President when their most private communications, thoughts and issues from their earliest childhood onward are stored in data banks to be accessed by any government/corporate goon who wants it?
I'm about 1/3rd through 1984, and even though I already knew the premise of the book before reading it, the more I read, the crazier I think our world is, and how we've openly allowed this to happen... My mom got one of those google talking disk things (alexa or whatever)... Even though I know everything else is eavesdropping on me (especially my phone, that thing lately has been freaking me out) I can't stand just openly allowing something that is always listening.
early
Fantasy
2231st
1/29/2018 5:40am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Do people know that the repeal of net neutrality allows internet providers to control the web sites you access? In other words, you won't be exposed...

I'm about 1/3rd through 1984, and even though I already knew the premise of the book before reading it, the more I read, the crazier I...
I'm about 1/3rd through 1984, and even though I already knew the premise of the book before reading it, the more I read, the crazier I think our world is, and how we've openly allowed this to happen... My mom got one of those google talking disk things (alexa or whatever)... Even though I know everything else is eavesdropping on me (especially my phone, that thing lately has been freaking me out) I can't stand just openly allowing something that is always listening.
Is 1984/Brave New World still part of the high school curriculum? I read it as a school assignment back in the late 90s. 2 of the most relevant books i have ever read.
SKlein
1/29/2018 9:40am Edited Date/Time 1/29/2018 9:40am
NorCal 50+ wrote:

I think you meant that it can, in theory, allow them to prioritize connections to certain sites without NN. Your statement makes it sound like they would force you onto sites when that's not entirely true. And in terms of exposing you to certain materials that's already happening with data-mining (the ads you see on sites catered to your browsing history for example).

Post a reply to: Net Neutrality Repeal

The Latest