Making $60k+ Annually?

yak651
Posts
9075
Joined
8/26/2006
Location
Appleton, WI, USA
Fantasy
11/2/2016 9:27am
newmann wrote:
Netted? Tell us more.
APLMAN99 wrote:
All cash, no receipts?
newmann wrote:
All cash, no tax, no tracks...lol. I know a few people like that. Funny shit when a sales tax auditor shows up and sits in their...
All cash, no tax, no tracks...lol. I know a few people like that. Funny shit when a sales tax auditor shows up and sits in their business for a few days counting the number of customers coming and going.
He does have Mafia in his user name! Tongue
APLMAN99
Posts
12942
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Tualatin, OR, USA
Fantasy
11/2/2016 10:40am
newmann wrote:
Netted? Tell us more.
APLMAN99 wrote:
All cash, no receipts?
newmann wrote:
All cash, no tax, no tracks...lol. I know a few people like that. Funny shit when a sales tax auditor shows up and sits in their...
All cash, no tax, no tracks...lol. I know a few people like that. Funny shit when a sales tax auditor shows up and sits in their business for a few days counting the number of customers coming and going.
A detailing business is practically made for the "all cash" business model.

Ironically, everyone I've ever truly known well in your industry has practiced at least a little bit of that sort of thing at one time or another. Biggest "cash discounts" I've ever seen were in the auto body biz!!!! But obviously you've got to report a good portion of it if you've got a shingle hung and employees on board.
icrashalot
Posts
137
Joined
10/26/2016
Location
Santa Rosa, CA, USA
11/2/2016 11:02am
Go join a union. Me and most of my friends went this route out a high school and we're all making 6 figures, might have to start as an apprentice but it's well worth it
Dtat720
Posts
1588
Joined
2/20/2015
Location
Flowood, MS, USA
11/2/2016 11:41am
I have a few friends who do the detail biz, very lucrative with high end cars and boats as well. You'd be surprised how many people will pay 6-800 for their boat to be detailed so they dont have to do it. Thats just for run of the mill sport boats and pontoons. Bigger boat, more money. One repeat customer is a 42' scarab or wellcraft, i forget, but its a 2 day job at $3k. They gladly pay.....

Another friend had a stereo shop for years. That model is dying out, hes mobile now and does 90% dealership work. Setting up new car stereos and window tint. Pulls about $250k a year and doesnt hit all the dealerships...

Really all bouls down to how much drive you have in pursuing your own venture. Also how much capitol you can start off with. Dont plan on making sny real money for the first year or so unless you just have the midas touch.

The Shop

11/2/2016 2:02pm
Titan1 wrote:
My advice to anyone is to get into sales...real estate, insurance, mortgage lending (not for a bank or credit union though, they pay crap...). These fields...
My advice to anyone is to get into sales...real estate, insurance, mortgage lending (not for a bank or credit union though, they pay crap...).

These fields have UNLIMITED earning potential...require no college education (you will have to take some industry specific education and pass state and/or federal tests...but it is EASY)...you get to be "self employed" without all the risk of starting a business (outside of the fluctuating income..when you're just getting started)...you pick your own hours. Pull doctor and attorney income without all the schooling.

I'm in mortgage lending...there are guys with no college degree-but who are smart and with crazy work ethics-making well into the 7 figures (this isn't common though), anyone with half a brain and even a modest work ethic can earn $60K/year, if you're smart-not even necessarily book smart, but "intelligent"-and have a decent work ethic will get you into 6 figures in a few years.

Insurance has residual income, which is awesome! But it takes longer to build up to a livable wage (but your income is far more stable in the beginning). A friend of mine went from working as a laborer in construction to $120K/year in two years in insurance (11 years later he's making $300K+ now). He is crazy motivated and a crazy hard worker...right after he got his insurance license he started going door to door/business to business during the day (working up P&C, workers comp, health and life insurance quotes for people), then cold calling leads from about 5 or 6 to about 8PM...then was working nights at Costco. His first year (with no residuals) he make like $50K in policies...those all renewed the next year plus all of his new business put him at $120K his second year. After year two he stopped the door to door stuff, now he has two telemarkers that do all that for him. Now the guy golfs most days, goes into the office at 10 or 11 every morning and is home before his kids get out of school. Great income, great life style.

The only other qualifier, would be personality. You've got to be a "people person"...I'm not talking crazy outgoing, life of the party type of personality (I'm neither of those things)...but you just have to be comfortable talking with people, and be able to make people feel comfortable talking with you...if you've got that kind of personality and can handle sitting in an office all day and have a good work ethic....honestly, I'm not sure why you'd look anywhere else...pick one, put your head down and get to work and it will pay off.
This guy got it right, Sales. I am a territory manager for a large tire manufacturer in the commercial truck segment. I have a college degree but I work with all dealer salesman who are barely high school educated. These guys can make some serious money. I remember speaking with a guy when I first started and talking about salaries and income and he said one of his dealer reps out west had been the salesman for one of the mega fleets (5,000+ trucks, 15,000+ trailers) for over 20 years and the guy was bringing home $350k! I would say the average dsp I deal with is probably in the $85k-$100k range. Tires are a consumable and people always need them. You meet a lot of "different" people in this industry. As well, just being a normal, motivated guy puts you leagues ahead of most. If you just actually give a crap and are kind and curtious, you will go far in sales.
newmann
Posts
24437
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
11/2/2016 2:43pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
All cash, no receipts?
newmann wrote:
All cash, no tax, no tracks...lol. I know a few people like that. Funny shit when a sales tax auditor shows up and sits in their...
All cash, no tax, no tracks...lol. I know a few people like that. Funny shit when a sales tax auditor shows up and sits in their business for a few days counting the number of customers coming and going.
APLMAN99 wrote:
A detailing business is practically made for the "all cash" business model. Ironically, everyone I've ever truly known well in your industry has practiced at least...
A detailing business is practically made for the "all cash" business model.

Ironically, everyone I've ever truly known well in your industry has practiced at least a little bit of that sort of thing at one time or another. Biggest "cash discounts" I've ever seen were in the auto body biz!!!! But obviously you've got to report a good portion of it if you've got a shingle hung and employees on board.
Too many electronic payments and insurance checks rolling through here to be offering cash discounts. Very little cash business. Besides, having to fight for a measly $58.00 per hour labor rate and insurance companies who refuse to pay for anything but the absolute cheapest aftermarket junk and salvage yard parts makes it a bit difficult to run a legitimate and reputable business from the start. Add in having to cough up another 70-90 grand to get aluminum repair equipment and certifications and anyone who starts in about "cash" usually gets the stink eye from me...lol.

Been putting off purchasing as much aluminum equipment as possible until more car lines ramp up with it. Buying 10 grand in self piercing riveting gun and attachments that are Ford approved and then having GM come along and specify a different brand concerns me. We've always been able to dodge the occasional high end aluminum body car but there's no dodging Ford F150's and Super Duty's here in Texas. Big game changer in this industry.
captmoto
Posts
5917
Joined
4/22/2009
Location
Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA
11/2/2016 4:10pm
newmann wrote:
Too many electronic payments and insurance checks rolling through here to be offering cash discounts. Very little cash business. Besides, having to fight for a measly...
Too many electronic payments and insurance checks rolling through here to be offering cash discounts. Very little cash business. Besides, having to fight for a measly $58.00 per hour labor rate and insurance companies who refuse to pay for anything but the absolute cheapest aftermarket junk and salvage yard parts makes it a bit difficult to run a legitimate and reputable business from the start. Add in having to cough up another 70-90 grand to get aluminum repair equipment and certifications and anyone who starts in about "cash" usually gets the stink eye from me...lol.

Been putting off purchasing as much aluminum equipment as possible until more car lines ramp up with it. Buying 10 grand in self piercing riveting gun and attachments that are Ford approved and then having GM come along and specify a different brand concerns me. We've always been able to dodge the occasional high end aluminum body car but there's no dodging Ford F150's and Super Duty's here in Texas. Big game changer in this industry.
Newman, which insurance company or companies pay appropriately? Are there any that are easier to work with than others?
mattmatt300
Posts
1457
Joined
3/30/2009
Location
Rockmart, GA, USA
11/2/2016 10:14pm
Go back to the oilfield.
Titan1
Posts
9477
Joined
2/3/2010
Location
Lehi, UT, USA
11/3/2016 2:38pm Edited Date/Time 11/3/2016 3:21pm
icrashalot wrote:
Go join a union. Me and most of my friends went this route out a high school and we're all making 6 figures, might have to...
Go join a union. Me and most of my friends went this route out a high school and we're all making 6 figures, might have to start as an apprentice but it's well worth it
How many hours a week are you working to get those 6 figures???

I know a lot of Union guys making pretty good money (like you do)...but they only make a lot because they work a TON of overtime and/or travel all over the place. So the money is good, but they work a lot of hours to get it.
icrashalot
Posts
137
Joined
10/26/2016
Location
Santa Rosa, CA, USA
11/3/2016 3:52pm
icrashalot wrote:
Go join a union. Me and most of my friends went this route out a high school and we're all making 6 figures, might have to...
Go join a union. Me and most of my friends went this route out a high school and we're all making 6 figures, might have to start as an apprentice but it's well worth it
Titan1 wrote:
How many hours a week are you working to get those 6 figures??? I know a lot of Union guys making pretty good money (like you...
How many hours a week are you working to get those 6 figures???

I know a lot of Union guys making pretty good money (like you do)...but they only make a lot because they work a TON of overtime and/or travel all over the place. So the money is good, but they work a lot of hours to get it.
Just my regular 40 hours a week, I do get ot but even without it I still clear that. Living near the bay area helps with higher wages but at the same time it costs more to live here so it's a trade off
Titan1
Posts
9477
Joined
2/3/2010
Location
Lehi, UT, USA
11/3/2016 4:46pm
icrashalot wrote:
Go join a union. Me and most of my friends went this route out a high school and we're all making 6 figures, might have to...
Go join a union. Me and most of my friends went this route out a high school and we're all making 6 figures, might have to start as an apprentice but it's well worth it
Titan1 wrote:
How many hours a week are you working to get those 6 figures??? I know a lot of Union guys making pretty good money (like you...
How many hours a week are you working to get those 6 figures???

I know a lot of Union guys making pretty good money (like you do)...but they only make a lot because they work a TON of overtime and/or travel all over the place. So the money is good, but they work a lot of hours to get it.
icrashalot wrote:
Just my regular 40 hours a week, I do get ot but even without it I still clear that. Living near the bay area helps with...
Just my regular 40 hours a week, I do get ot but even without it I still clear that. Living near the bay area helps with higher wages but at the same time it costs more to live here so it's a trade off
Gotcha! I should have looked at your location and it probably would have answered that question for me.

The guys I know live in the inter-mountain west...way cheaper to live and way lower wages.
Midwest_Mafia
Posts
286
Joined
10/15/2016
Location
Evanston, IL, USA
11/4/2016 3:22am Edited Date/Time 11/4/2016 3:27am
Started a high end / luxury auto detail service that netted over 200k last year... Unconventional idea's should always be explored, the other side, a commercial...
Started a high end / luxury auto detail service that netted over 200k last year...

Unconventional idea's should always be explored, the other side, a commercial roofing business is based on a service that never goes out of demand, especially in our country's storm belt.
newmann wrote:
Netted? Tell us more.
6 vans, Warehouse, 13 ground level employees and family run. Veteran Owned.

You'd be surprised how quick $1,500 - $5,000 services add up. We're not talking simple detailing on new bmw's and mercedes in the nicer parts of Dallas, but that brings more than you'd think. Considering labor, materials, working with Classic, Concours and award winning cars has a ton of headroom. Had a cobra Last year that was worth 2.1 on it's own, few corvettes and other oddities that were up there as well. Hopefully this year we will have a few winners at Pebble beach and high number vehicles move through Mecum and across the nation as well.

If you're from Texas You might have heard of us, seen some of the Commercials on t.v. over the past 6 months.
Midwest_Mafia
Posts
286
Joined
10/15/2016
Location
Evanston, IL, USA
11/4/2016 3:23am
APLMAN99 wrote:
All cash, no receipts?
newmann wrote:
All cash, no tax, no tracks...lol. I know a few people like that. Funny shit when a sales tax auditor shows up and sits in their...
All cash, no tax, no tracks...lol. I know a few people like that. Funny shit when a sales tax auditor shows up and sits in their business for a few days counting the number of customers coming and going.
yak651 wrote:
He does have Mafia in his user name! Tongue
That's just a nod to Nick Wey, Dude's one of my favorites from the sport, Besides Windham, Ernie, Marvin and Chad. Wink
Midwest_Mafia
Posts
286
Joined
10/15/2016
Location
Evanston, IL, USA
11/4/2016 3:31am
newmann wrote:
All cash, no tax, no tracks...lol. I know a few people like that. Funny shit when a sales tax auditor shows up and sits in their...
All cash, no tax, no tracks...lol. I know a few people like that. Funny shit when a sales tax auditor shows up and sits in their business for a few days counting the number of customers coming and going.
APLMAN99 wrote:
A detailing business is practically made for the "all cash" business model. Ironically, everyone I've ever truly known well in your industry has practiced at least...
A detailing business is practically made for the "all cash" business model.

Ironically, everyone I've ever truly known well in your industry has practiced at least a little bit of that sort of thing at one time or another. Biggest "cash discounts" I've ever seen were in the auto body biz!!!! But obviously you've got to report a good portion of it if you've got a shingle hung and employees on board.
newmann wrote:
Too many electronic payments and insurance checks rolling through here to be offering cash discounts. Very little cash business. Besides, having to fight for a measly...
Too many electronic payments and insurance checks rolling through here to be offering cash discounts. Very little cash business. Besides, having to fight for a measly $58.00 per hour labor rate and insurance companies who refuse to pay for anything but the absolute cheapest aftermarket junk and salvage yard parts makes it a bit difficult to run a legitimate and reputable business from the start. Add in having to cough up another 70-90 grand to get aluminum repair equipment and certifications and anyone who starts in about "cash" usually gets the stink eye from me...lol.

Been putting off purchasing as much aluminum equipment as possible until more car lines ramp up with it. Buying 10 grand in self piercing riveting gun and attachments that are Ford approved and then having GM come along and specify a different brand concerns me. We've always been able to dodge the occasional high end aluminum body car but there's no dodging Ford F150's and Super Duty's here in Texas. Big game changer in this industry.
The other side of the business is a commercial roofing company, I've seen first hand how insurance companies don't want to pay appropriate labor wages, or for our time handling the claims, doing inspections, time spent ordering, organizing materials, everything... it's an uphill battle. But when a company can handle that aspect of the business, there is nothing but success to be had financially. . . Having a team who can work with their adjusters and claims is everything. The industry is unreal once you move past residential into commercial. Suddenly apartment complexes, Best buys, Hospitals turn it into a whole 'nother thing.
11/4/2016 3:53am
The other side of the business is a commercial roofing company, I've seen first hand how insurance companies don't want to pay appropriate labor wages, or...
The other side of the business is a commercial roofing company, I've seen first hand how insurance companies don't want to pay appropriate labor wages, or for our time handling the claims, doing inspections, time spent ordering, organizing materials, everything... it's an uphill battle. But when a company can handle that aspect of the business, there is nothing but success to be had financially. . . Having a team who can work with their adjusters and claims is everything. The industry is unreal once you move past residential into commercial. Suddenly apartment complexes, Best buys, Hospitals turn it into a whole 'nother thing.
Can you hire me? I can work on both ends of the company, i have been familiar with car detailing, As i have had the detailing learned from Meguiars here in Belgium and had my own cars on there stands in shows several times.
And have been a Self employee for 10 years in general construction and i'm currently working as a regular employee as a project manager in general construction. BONUS feature is that i actually want to live in the DFW area.

Pretty please Blush

Midwest_Mafia
Posts
286
Joined
10/15/2016
Location
Evanston, IL, USA
11/4/2016 3:59am Edited Date/Time 11/4/2016 4:01am
Haha I'm the asshat kid who gets to play secretary and personal servant to the owner, I don't got that kinda pull. Silly I've had the chance to live 5 minutes from Dallas Love airfield, passed on that " Opportunity. " I love Texas, I love Dallas, but living there is not for me.
11/4/2016 4:03am Edited Date/Time 11/4/2016 4:11am
Haha I'm the asshat kid who gets to play secretary and personal servant to the owner, I don't got that kinda pull. :silly: I've had the...
Haha I'm the asshat kid who gets to play secretary and personal servant to the owner, I don't got that kinda pull. Silly I've had the chance to live 5 minutes from Dallas Love airfield, passed on that " Opportunity. " I love Texas, I love Dallas, but living there is not for me.
You started a car detailing business how do you explain you have no pull on that or is it your fathers business?
If so get him on Vital i'll talk him over with my European charm and a truck load of chocolate Whistling Laughing Laughing Laughing

I don't necessarily want to live in the city centre just outside, about 25 miles out or something just enough to be away from the buzz and yet close enough for a easy commute when necessary.

OW OW i forgot i have worked with chemical guys products also which i think are better than Meguiers but that is just personal preference off course
Midwest_Mafia
Posts
286
Joined
10/15/2016
Location
Evanston, IL, USA
11/4/2016 4:10am
Their idea, I did the development of the website, Business model, Pricing, Labor / Materials and structure. I get to make 0 Decisions otherwise. An easy commute is a 30 minute drive 12 miles to check out a rental property or get supplies for a home project at a local hardware store........................ Not my idea of fun, and I've been used to Chicago traffic since I was 16. At least I can hit all the places I need to go to here in a a short trip, not all the way across town.
11/4/2016 6:27am
Not sure how anyone can start a business in this over regulated time we live in.
Our government has made it soooo prohibitive that many good people go into business
with out knowledge of this and lose everything. Stupid things like having an extra propane
tank so when the fork lift runs out it's not stuck in the parking lot, and the inspector comes
and asks if you have the $150 permit for that extra tank. WTF?
Or the having to pay someone to come and check your air compressor tank and certify it
for another couple hundred dollars? Or the the $250 you have to pay to be clean and NOT have
debris that migrates from inside your shop to outside your shop, and if it does it's only $2,000
per year. Don't even get me started on Insurance that has gone from $700 per month for a family
of 4 just 15 years ago to $2,500 per month today. Electricity bills that triple from on month to the next.
The shop has to literally almost shut down for a month to avoid this. In order not get bumped to the
next pricing tier the shop can only run one machine at time for a whole month, and with NO lights.
If you draw over a certain KW for 12 straight months you are considered a "large business".
They monitor every 15 min of every day if you go over the draw. I could go on and on and on.
TM
newmann
Posts
24437
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
11/4/2016 6:54am
Good stuff there Toolmaker. Best part is that it is always a moving target and you really don't know what to expect next year. Instead of local, state and federal governments getting a grip on running their ship efficiently, they just keep looking for more ways to feed their monster.
APLMAN99
Posts
12942
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Tualatin, OR, USA
Fantasy
11/4/2016 7:01am
You guys should go through the Global GAP process on the orchard or a fruit packing facility.

I feel like I need a wide awake, no drugs colonoscopy just to relax after going through one of those audits.

Some of my things do seem a little bit silly but some of the common sense stuff ready is issues that farmers and packers were ignoring for years. If folks would have been better stewards in the first place, a lot of regulation wouldn't have occurred.
Dtat720
Posts
1588
Joined
2/20/2015
Location
Flowood, MS, USA
11/4/2016 8:19am
ToolMaker wrote:
Not sure how anyone can start a business in this over regulated time we live in. Our government has made it soooo prohibitive that many good...
Not sure how anyone can start a business in this over regulated time we live in.
Our government has made it soooo prohibitive that many good people go into business
with out knowledge of this and lose everything. Stupid things like having an extra propane
tank so when the fork lift runs out it's not stuck in the parking lot, and the inspector comes
and asks if you have the $150 permit for that extra tank. WTF?
Or the having to pay someone to come and check your air compressor tank and certify it
for another couple hundred dollars? Or the the $250 you have to pay to be clean and NOT have
debris that migrates from inside your shop to outside your shop, and if it does it's only $2,000
per year. Don't even get me started on Insurance that has gone from $700 per month for a family
of 4 just 15 years ago to $2,500 per month today. Electricity bills that triple from on month to the next.
The shop has to literally almost shut down for a month to avoid this. In order not get bumped to the
next pricing tier the shop can only run one machine at time for a whole month, and with NO lights.
If you draw over a certain KW for 12 straight months you are considered a "large business".
They monitor every 15 min of every day if you go over the draw. I could go on and on and on.
TM
I've got a mess going on with Entergy currently. We started having power supplies and servo amplifiers blow back in July. 9 machines in 3 weeks. Spent close to $50k getting them back online only to have them crash a few days later. After a month of hassling Entergy to put a chart recorder on our transformer, they comply and install it. A week later they come get it then email me and say the chart didnt record anything. In the mean time, I have 6 machines down and have lost $400k in income. After a nice letter from our attorney, they send 2 supervisors out to inspect our power supply. A day after one of our panels blows breakers shutting half our lights down. We have 5 panels, 23 machines, using all 5 panels. When they see its affecting everything, they go outside and inspect the head coming in. Its fine. Go look at the transformer..... its arcing and dropping and spiking voltage.... hitting over 700 volts at times.

They come back the next morning and put in a new transformer and rewire everything. Lead super says, get your invoices together along with everything else and file it with claims, its our fault..... 3 months later.

Now Entergy wants to split the losses and up our power bill 75%...

Running a business isnt fun. Not at all
Titan1
Posts
9477
Joined
2/3/2010
Location
Lehi, UT, USA
11/4/2016 9:30am
ToolMaker wrote:
Not sure how anyone can start a business in this over regulated time we live in. Our government has made it soooo prohibitive that many good...
Not sure how anyone can start a business in this over regulated time we live in.
Our government has made it soooo prohibitive that many good people go into business
with out knowledge of this and lose everything. Stupid things like having an extra propane
tank so when the fork lift runs out it's not stuck in the parking lot, and the inspector comes
and asks if you have the $150 permit for that extra tank. WTF?
Or the having to pay someone to come and check your air compressor tank and certify it
for another couple hundred dollars? Or the the $250 you have to pay to be clean and NOT have
debris that migrates from inside your shop to outside your shop, and if it does it's only $2,000
per year. Don't even get me started on Insurance that has gone from $700 per month for a family
of 4 just 15 years ago to $2,500 per month today. Electricity bills that triple from on month to the next.
The shop has to literally almost shut down for a month to avoid this. In order not get bumped to the
next pricing tier the shop can only run one machine at time for a whole month, and with NO lights.
If you draw over a certain KW for 12 straight months you are considered a "large business".
They monitor every 15 min of every day if you go over the draw. I could go on and on and on.
TM
You need to get out of CA, my friend.
motosmith
Posts
2046
Joined
11/8/2010
Location
Washougal, WA, USA
11/4/2016 9:41am
ToolMaker wrote:
Not sure how anyone can start a business in this over regulated time we live in. Our government has made it soooo prohibitive that many good...
Not sure how anyone can start a business in this over regulated time we live in.
Our government has made it soooo prohibitive that many good people go into business
with out knowledge of this and lose everything. Stupid things like having an extra propane
tank so when the fork lift runs out it's not stuck in the parking lot, and the inspector comes
and asks if you have the $150 permit for that extra tank. WTF?
Or the having to pay someone to come and check your air compressor tank and certify it
for another couple hundred dollars? Or the the $250 you have to pay to be clean and NOT have
debris that migrates from inside your shop to outside your shop, and if it does it's only $2,000
per year. Don't even get me started on Insurance that has gone from $700 per month for a family
of 4 just 15 years ago to $2,500 per month today. Electricity bills that triple from on month to the next.
The shop has to literally almost shut down for a month to avoid this. In order not get bumped to the
next pricing tier the shop can only run one machine at time for a whole month, and with NO lights.
If you draw over a certain KW for 12 straight months you are considered a "large business".
They monitor every 15 min of every day if you go over the draw. I could go on and on and on.
TM
From what I hear on the TV, business owners are racist, millionaire, white men. They deserve every regulation they get. Actually, they don't even deserve a paycheck. They should be giving their money to the poor.
Markee
Posts
3669
Joined
4/15/2013
Location
Suffolk, VA, USA
11/4/2016 1:08pm
JayBraap19 wrote:
[b]Backstory:[/b] It has officially been 7 full years to the day since I have owned a bike. I went from growing up racing the local circuit...
Backstory: It has officially been 7 full years to the day since I have owned a bike. I went from growing up racing the local circuit, to getting sponsor recognition as an amateur and doing nationals, to my father filing bankruptcy and having to sell the bikes leaving me on my own. Bought a leftover 2009 KX250F with my own money when I turned 19, but then had to sell it the next year to help pay for a new vehicle when mine crapped out.

Fast forward to today, I'm 25 years old, happily married with a wife and son, but working a dead end low paying warehouse job, in debt after my career in the oil fields was ended abruptly due to the receding oil prices.

I have always been a tradesman. Carpentry has been in my family for generations, but I decided to diversify when I figured out I couldn't do the college route. I really don't mind the hard work and long hours, but I'm sick and tired of working for other people. I have NEVER cleared $36,000 annually. I know the value I bring to the table. I have made companies hundreds of thousands of dollars as an employee, and I would rather bust my a$$ making a name for myself and my values and beliefs .

I want my son to be able to look up to me as a good hard working role model, and I would also like to be able to send him off to college and buy him a bike if he so chooses to ride.

Question: I'm seeking advice from those who make 60k+ a year or run a successful business with NO college experience;

What did it take to get to where you are now?
What would be your advice for someone who will be 'bootstrapping' a business?
Do/Did you have a partner, and what is your take on hiring employees as opposed to trying to do everything yourself?
Did you have a mentor or someone to help you along the way if you had any questions?
Steiny wrote:
1 What did it take to get to where you are now? Lots and lots of hard work mixed with risk. 2 What would be your...
1 What did it take to get to where you are now?

Lots and lots of hard work mixed with risk.

2 What would be your advice for someone who will be 'bootstrapping' a business?

If youre serious, start now. Put together a plan, set some realistic goals and know what you are getting yourself into before you bite off more than you can chew. DONT BORROW MONEY TO GET STARTED, start with small jobs and work your way up to the big jobs, dont let dollar signs control you. Learn to live well below your means until youre well established.

3 Do/Did you have a partner, and what is your take on hiring employees as opposed to trying to do everything yourself?

When I first started no, I didnt have a partner, but since then I have put together a sort of group that pools our resources together for certain deals. Do all the work yourself until you get to busy to do it yourself.

4 Did you have a mentor or someone to help you along the way if you had any questions?

Yes, I did. To this day I have lunch with a few guys a month who are successful and pick their brains or just talk. Ive always tried to surround myself with people who have been more successful than me, even when I was young.


You said this:I want my son to be able to look up to me as a good hard working role model, and I would also like to be able to send him off to college and buy him a bike if he so chooses to ride.

If you take any of my advice, take this to heart, No amount of money or success in the world will make your son look up to you if you dont spend time with him and teach him about life. Make a little less and spend more time with your family, trust me, its one of my great regrets.
JayBraap19 wrote:
Wow, so many responses! Thank you all for the kind words and advice. And for those of you wondering, I actually have experience in a lot...
Wow, so many responses!

Thank you all for the kind words and advice.

And for those of you wondering, I actually have experience in a lot more than just carpentry. I can do concrete/masonry, finish carpentry, excavating/heavy equipment operating and grading, and am a certified SMAW and GMAW welder for structural steel as well as pipe up to 32" diameter.

I have worked closely with a few guys that owned their own general contracting business, so I'm very aware of everything that goes into building a company. I definitely know it does not happen over night, that you shouldn't expect to get paid more than your best employees (especially true for good salesmen/account managers), and that it can be much more work than being an employee.
Jay, with other experiences and skills, age as well, you might want to look into the steel industry. Not all companies are created equal here. I work for NUCOR, which is a non union performance / production based income company.

Average salary 90k. We work shift, 4 days on 4 days off, 12hours. We just acquired another mill in Longview, Texas that is building a new team. I work hard, get paid for it, and normally come home sore. But my work stays at work and my home is never bothered when i'm off (kinda the black eye of self employment, you never leave it)

I say that just to say this. If you needed to get some cash together by making more than 36k, with a opportunity for a great career while having time to develop a business, NUCOR is a great place to start. There is no seniority/union bullshit to deal with, the career path is yours to make up with-in as opportunities come up. The 4 days off come in handy with developing your business while not putting your family in a bind at any point.

http://www.nucor.com/

If you have any questions, shoot me a email marc@kilbydeuce.com

BTW, I'm a industrial maintenance mechanic / welder / fabricator.

Good luck, hope the best for you.
Titan1
Posts
9477
Joined
2/3/2010
Location
Lehi, UT, USA
11/4/2016 1:30pm
Markee wrote:
Jay, with other experiences and skills, age as well, you might want to look into the steel industry. Not all companies are created equal here. I...
Jay, with other experiences and skills, age as well, you might want to look into the steel industry. Not all companies are created equal here. I work for NUCOR, which is a non union performance / production based income company.

Average salary 90k. We work shift, 4 days on 4 days off, 12hours. We just acquired another mill in Longview, Texas that is building a new team. I work hard, get paid for it, and normally come home sore. But my work stays at work and my home is never bothered when i'm off (kinda the black eye of self employment, you never leave it)

I say that just to say this. If you needed to get some cash together by making more than 36k, with a opportunity for a great career while having time to develop a business, NUCOR is a great place to start. There is no seniority/union bullshit to deal with, the career path is yours to make up with-in as opportunities come up. The 4 days off come in handy with developing your business while not putting your family in a bind at any point.

http://www.nucor.com/

If you have any questions, shoot me a email marc@kilbydeuce.com

BTW, I'm a industrial maintenance mechanic / welder / fabricator.

Good luck, hope the best for you.
That point you made about leaving work at work can't be understated.

My work NEVER leaves me alone...ever. It's always-24/7-in the back of my mind...nagging me...there is always another phone call to return, email to reply to, or client with a question.

Actually there are two days a year when I can not think about work...Christmas Day, and Thanksgiving day...nobody bothers me on those days. But the other 363 days of the year...its a constant nagging, and worry in the back of my mind.

Punching a clock...you clock out and forget about it. HUGE perk!
Midwest_Mafia
Posts
286
Joined
10/15/2016
Location
Evanston, IL, USA
11/4/2016 3:14pm
There's never been a better time to get into small business, is it really that bad in CA? There are more incentives tax wise and grants to support small business and economic growth than almost any time in our history...

Small business comprises the majority of several hot bed economies across our nation, LIke Dallas.
JayBraap19
Posts
228
Joined
10/12/2011
Location
Gilbert, AZ, USA
11/5/2016 7:42am
MXant15 wrote:
Have you ever considered becoming a Firefighter or working in law enforcement? Here in California, most departments only require a high school education (college is preferred...
Have you ever considered becoming a Firefighter or working in law enforcement? Here in California, most departments only require a high school education (college is preferred though). I know plenty of cops, correctional officers, firefighter/paramedics that make good livings.
Might be worth looking into and your son would definitely look up to you if you did. Trust me.
I actually went to college for half a semester in 2009 for fire science before having to drop out. Its not really something that interests me as much anymore.d
JayBraap19
Posts
228
Joined
10/12/2011
Location
Gilbert, AZ, USA
11/5/2016 7:50am
Do you have a lot of debt ?
not a substantial amount, no, however I have been carrying a car note for a few years and some misc small credit cards.
JayBraap19
Posts
228
Joined
10/12/2011
Location
Gilbert, AZ, USA
11/5/2016 7:59am
Go back to the oilfield.
I'd rather not. Plus, wages are down about 150% from what they were back when I worked, not to mention the line of people waiting for spots to become available would stretch from New York to California.....

Post a reply to: Making $60k+ Annually?

The Latest