Keto

Edited Date/Time 10/1/2019 5:25pm
Going "keto" has been life changing for me. And others here have asked for some help so I thought I'd start a thread for anyone with questions or who has struggled to "kick" sugar.

I've coached a LOT of people thru the process. So far, everyone that has followed my steps has succeeded. The success rate is mainly due to the fact that I've identified and worked on how to overcome the underlying hurdles we all face when trying to get healthy. I have focused heavily on the mental aspects of goal achievement as much as the nutrition plan itself.

STEP 1: DONT CALL IT A DIET

First and foremost, living healthy is NOT a diet. It is a lifestyle. Diets typically fail. And while lifestyles are hard for most to change, the terminology is important as it sets you up for what you're actually undertaking. Getting healthy affects pretty much every aspect of your life and that includes personal relationships. From how you socialize to how you spend your free time. If a person is not ready for the sometimes radical changes that a lifestyle adjustment brings, they simply are not ready to get healthy physically or mentally.

STEP 2: WHAT IS KETOSIS?

Ketosis is a completely natural metabolic state of the human body. At the core, it’s about burning fat for energy instead of sugar. It's important to understand that humans, for better and worse are OMNIVORES. Which means we can metabolize both carbs and fats for energy. Due to the ease in which carbs/sugars convert to such quickly accessible energy, if both macronutrients are available, the body is going to take the path of least resistance, which is the sugar. (For the sake of this discussion I will be referring to anything that converts to sugar as sugar, such as wheat/corn/beans/rice/starches/alcohol/carbs/etc).The ability to find energy sources from two very different types of macronutrients is a great survival mechanism in times of famine where we need whatever we can get our hands on. Carbs are high in calories and cheap. But let's face it, we are not living in times of famine. When there is an abundance of sugar available, as is the case in the American diet, the body stops burning fat for energy entirely and just stores it. Meanwhile living on sugar for energy. This is an either/or situation. The body gets used to one way and expects it to stay that way. The energy spikes from sugar are quick and fleeting. Often tricking the body into thinking it still needs more calories and thus why we get "hungry".

Everyone you know is addicted to a substance that they cannot go a day without. In fact, they need their “fix” multiple times per day. From what I've researched, I believe this drug causes the majority of our American culture’s health problems. And the industry that profits from this drug has done a incredible job for the last 70+ years convincing the American public that it is safe while also telling us the enemy is fat. That drug is sugar. Insulin helps our metabolisms to regulate sugars. For many around the world, they are genetically predisposed to being unable to regulate this process. And even for those who do not have a problem, they can create insulin resistance after prolonged periods of too much carbs in their diet. A good read on this is here: https://www.ruled.me/the-ketogenic-diet-and-insulin-resistance/

What happens in the absence of sugar? The body produces ketones which are basically the breakdown of fatty & amino acids for energy. The switch from being sugar dependent to fat adapted can take some as many as 4-6 weeks. My wife just did the flip in about 11 days. And we know this because we bought "ketone strips" home tests at CVS and tested our ketone levels.

So how does this deviate from previous fad "diets"? If it sounds similar to Atkins or Paleo, that's because it is. I tried both to decent results. In fact, I got great results from Paleo while living in Europe. Not so much while in America. The reason is the flour is not the same over there. GMO is banned for starters, and Europe does not permit the use of glyphosate to desiccate wheat (we use it America in our meats, wine, beans, and flax). In Europe the lectins are naturally removed from flour when you use traditional methods such as yeast or sourdough. Yeast and natural bacteria are great at breaking down gluten and other lectins. Paleo is the same in principle in that it too asks you to get your body into functional ketosis. I like Paleo because it demands that you eat no processed foods, which is a great thing. But where Paleo (and Atkins) missed the mark is they never really stress how important fats are as an energy source. And they lean way too heavily on protein. Too much protein will easily cause a insulin spike because your liver will process excess protein into glucose (aka sugar).

This program is all about HIGH amounts of fat, MODERATE amounts of protein, and MINIMAL amounts of carbs.

For me, based on my size & weight that works out to about 25 grams of “net” carbs per day. For reference, the average American eats no less than 200 grams of carbs per day. And try if you may, but there is no evidence to prove that carbs are a essential nutrient to sustain a healthy life. Carbs are nature's "backup plan". And never were intended to be a staple of any healthy human's diet.

STEP 3: WHY PEOPLE FAIL

Why do most people fail nutrition changes? I have identified the 4 main reasons:

The Weak - They cannot handle the lifestyle change. Be it via peer pressure or from society constantly telling them to do otherwise, they fold and fall back into their sugar addiction. Sometimes it can be our own family members that cannot handle the drastic changes we have made for ourselves. Getting healthy can make others around us very insecure about their own shortcomings. The backlash can be hard to deal with and in some cases, if your close ones are not supportive, it can cost relationships or cause relapse.

Sugar Addiction - For some, the withdrawal symptoms can be quite rough. I've helped a LOT of people quit their sugar addiction. Extreme cases puked violently on days 2-3. Kicking sugar is no different than any other drug addiction. There's a huge mental component to it (comfort foods) but also a very real physical addiction that can lead to headaches, vomiting, fatigue, etc. For some, the pain of the withdraws is too much to take as it can last up to 6 weeks in rare cases. Most last 4-6 weeks. Everyone I've helped on this were past the symptoms in about 10 days.

The “Short Timers” - Let's say your family does not drive you nuts with complaints about your new eating habits. Let's say you kick your sugar addiction. Now you have hit your goal weight & body fat % so you think it is time to relax. If you are not prepared to continually track your caloric spending & intake every day, you are asking for big trouble or a relapse. Because we can no longer just manage our energy use with subconscious reminders to go eat every 3 hours when the sugar withdrawals kick in. It is very easy to have problems if you are not tracking your calories, fiber, and micro-nutrients. If you're not getting enough sodium or fats in your system, you're going to have trouble performing. Your body will start taking muscle away to compensate if there is no fat on your body or in your diet. You will not be running on all cylinders, and likely will blame it on a lack of carbs rather than on your own mismanagement of your body's caloric intake. Ask yourself how many times you have heard someone say “that lifestyle did not work for me”. No wonder they failed. Because the proper mentality is to ask “how hard did I work for that lifestyle”. That goes for ANYTHING you try to accomplish in life, be it a job, relationship, your children, or your personal health. Did you work for it? Or did you simply expect it to do the work for you?

The Weight Loss Motivated - If your motivation for starting a new program of any type is to lose weight, we can stop right here. I can guarantee you will fail because EVERY person I’ve helped that simply wanted weight loss has failed (whereas everyone else I’ve helped has succeeded, and lost a ton of weight in the process). Weight loss is not a long term motivational goal. Because once you reach your goal weight, what is it that will keep you motivated? Losing weight is simply a nice byproduct of a healthy LIFESTYLE change. Keeping that in perspective is integral to your success.

STEP 4: HOW TO SUCCEED

So how do you succeed where the others fail?

Make sure your family is supportive. A man can't do much in this life without a good wife at his side. My wife was fully on board because she knew how frustrated I was with my weight and after she saw my immediate results, she jumped on board herself. WHILE BREASTFEEDING OUR NEWBORN. (side-note: all babies are born in a state of ketosis). Another side-note, since changing our nutrition, children become much more emotionally stable. We've been closely monitoring the baby’s weight and vitals and they've only improved since my wife kicked sugar because her breast milk now has a higher fat content than before. Ketosis is KID SAFE and has huge benefits to their behavior and immune system.

Battling the sugar addiction withdrawal symptoms (aka "keto flu") is not easy but it gets easier if you can keep a few things in mind:

- accept the fact that every time you are hungry, you're not actually short on calories, you're going thru a minor sugar withdrawal
- drink a ton of water (mix in some sea salt as your body will be purging itself of a lot of excess water storage and that costs you a lot of salt as you sweat it out)
- eat lots of fats (avocados, cheese, dairy, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, bone broth)
- take a multivitamin
- relax and do not go to the gym until the symptoms subside, you will be tired as your body is tired from a lack of sugar and not yet burning fat for energy
- stay occupied so your mind isnt thinking about food
- in a pinch, treat this like a hangover and go eat the greasiest burger patty (with cheese) you can (no bun of course), it will do wonders

Do not go below 1500 calories per day. In fact, dont count calories at all. Make sure you are eating as much as you can and that it is all fat heavy foods. I know this sounds counterintuitive but shorting yourself calories will only make the keto flu symptoms worse and increase the chances of relapse. Do not worry about burning fat, your body will do that on it's own once it's made the switch.

The hidden secret - FIND YOUR MOTIVATION... for everyone, I expect this to be different. For me I started this because I wanted to lose weight, but by day 3 all the back pain, pulled muscles, joint inflammation from years off sports abuse, THEY WERE ALL GONE!!! My motivation in that instant switched from losing weight to never wanting the chronic back pain from inflammation again. Maybe you simply want to avoid cancer. Yes, cancer feeds off of sugar. The list of issues caused by sugar is extremely long and if you want a good book to read on it, I suggest this one: "The Case Against Sugar" by Gary Taubes. Whatever the case, you need a real motivation! https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/the-case-against-sugar-gary-taubes/112…

The point is, FIND YOUR MOTIVATION and it must be something tangible. It cannot be "for you kids". Because let's be honest, your kids are going to love you whether you're healthy or not. All they want is your time & love. There is no true accountability. And on a subconscious level, you know that. So it's just not a great motivator. It's noble, but for whatever reason, I've yet to see it work real well. On the flip side, I've seen some of the most shallow motivators get results. How many millionaires has this country created that were the nerds in high school that just wanted to be rich so they could get laid? Shallow... yes, but it's a motivator that you can touch-taste-feel ... aka TANGIBLE. Just like my back pain. So find something tangible to motivate you. It's the single most critical mental part of this process.

STEP 5: LET'S GET STARTED

So now, let's get started...

Get a Apple Watch (or equivalent) and wear it religiously so that we can keep a close eye on your exact caloric output every day

Set-Up the Apple HealthKit app on your iPhone, input the following:
- Weight
- Lean Body Mass (just google an online calculator)
- BMI (the app automatically calculates this, just hit the “+” symbol, then “add”)
- Body Fat % (I will calculate this for you)
- Waistline (measure at the belly button, no flexing)

Download the MyFitnessPal app to your iPhone and set up a account in the following order:
MyFitnessPal will ask you a series of questions about your goals
- starting weight
- current weight
- goal weight (this is determined by setting a healthy body fat %, every male should aim for 15% and female 20% as that is pretty much the natural state of the human body without training)

- activity level (it will use this to give a baseline determination of how many calories it thinks you should eat on a given day, don't worry, it adjusts for you as your Apple Watch syncs and notifies the app of any workouts or elevated heart rates)

On the bottom right of the home screen click MORE > GOALS > Scroll down and click CALORIE, CARBS, PROTEIN, and FAT GOALS, set to the following:
Carbs - 5%
Protein - 20%
Fat - 75%

Link your Apple HealthKit App to MyFitnessPal by allowing it to write data (go back to your Apple Healthkit App and Click SOURCES > MyFitnessPal > TURN ALL CATEGORIES ON)

MyFitnessPal will automatically pull your current weight from your Apple HealthKit data

Watch this video (I have a ton more reading materials, recipe websites, nutritional guides, and videos... just ask and I'll send them your way)
https://youtu.be/8GUIBNKnT1M

Now track everything you do for a week. I do not want any change in your diet or exercise routine. What I want is to get an idea of where you are at currently. And for most people, I want to see if they even have the discipline to track everything. I nerd out on this type of stuff and when I have a goal Im obsessive over it so I never miss tracking a meal. I find treating my body like a science experiment a fun thing but hey, that's just me. For the highly motivated it only takes them about 3 days before they get sick of looking at the high numbers of carbs in their diet and they start making adjustments to their eating habits on their own.

STEP 5: TIPS

Addiction Withdrawal…
- Be very patient. You will feel tired until your body has fully adjusted to being fat adapted. But trust me, as long as you keep your calories up, you will be able to perform better than when you were on carbs full-time once your body has adjusted.
- There are ketone drinks that are very helpful during the first month at giving you ketones and getting good electrolytes into your system. The product I recommend is “Keto Rise”: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079G26KD4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_lmBnBbC2W0XG8
- During the first 2 weeks you should do your breakfast meal prep the night before. Hard boiled eggs and cooked bacon store well in the refrigerator. They are life savers in the event that your sugar withdrawal symptoms leave you feeling too sick to cook in the morning. But you need to eat thru the process. Preparation is key.

Estimated Schedule
Days 3-6 ... Flu like symptoms from sugar withdrawal will hit the worst
Days 7-10 ... General fatigue
Day 11 ... Increased energy and mental clarity
Day 21 ... Your body should be in mid ketosis stages, producing plenty of ketones
Day 30 ... A ketone test should reveal full ketosis, No more carb cravings, Begin training again, moderately with weights
Day 90 ... Full athletic performance should return, Goal weight / body fat % should be obtained, Calorie & nutritional maintenance is at a premium

Fats…
- Fats are your friend, especially saturated fats. Never mind the lies the wheat & sugar industry have spread. The "four food groups" & "food pyramid" are scams to get people to eat cheap calories.
- Get yourself a good FAT BOMB recipe. My wife has one for these blackberry fat bombs. They're about 450 calories per serving and taste delicious. Pure energy.
- CAVE SHAKES are great as both a meal replacement during & after the withdrawal period: https://www.amazon.com/CAVE-Shake-Ready-Drink-Chocolate/dp/B07G3KNCBP/r…

Proteins…
- Fall in love with steak again. It has a ton of good fat in it. So eat it guilt free. Along with bacon, bison, fatty fish, and any other meat high in fats. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD-LB-A7tjA
- Be careful with white meat. It’s very low in fat and not nearly as nutrient dense as fish or red meat. You can easily throw off our protein ratio by eating too much chicken for example.
- The human brain is more than capable of running on ketones as a primary energy source. The remaining glucose needed for optimum brain development/function will be pulled from your excess protein consumption. Again, carbs are not only a poor source of glucose, but a unnecessary one thanks to the gluconeogenesis process of your liver.

Carbohydrates…
- Vegetables typically have carbs BUT since they are carbs from fiber they do not count, thus the term I used earlier, "net carbs". I don't even track my vegetable intake on my MyFitnessPal app because the carbs are from fiber and since fiber does not metabolize into sugar, it passes thru our system. Great for the digestive tract, and not harmful to our metabolic state. There are a few veggies that are high in actual carbs that you do need to watch out for but in general, eat as many veggies as you want/can as the micronutrients are essential.
- When to eat carbs and how much is a key component to both high performance and staying in ketosis. it should be done before and during intense exercise, and in moderation. That's when fruits are necessary. Stick to berries. Avoid high Glycemic Index foods. The key is to make sure that quick energy you eat is (1) clean and (2) burned off as soon as it is metabolized. That way you stay in ketosis. Think about it, in nature, humans ate berries as they found them while on long treks. Fresh off the vine and quickly burned off. Not to mention the fact that produce is seasonal by nature. Not something that humans ate year round traditionally.

Weight Loss…
- Cardio is not for fat loss. Total waste of time as it's extremely inefficient. Do cardio to get your heart strong for endurance events (if applicable). If you wanna build muscle and burn fat, weights are where it is at because long after you've left the gym the body is burning calories to repair the muscle fibers whereas with cardio the "fat burning" zone is difficult to even get into and is over once you step off the treadmill. (Ask about our training programs).
- If you are looking to burn fat faster, you want to keep your caloric intake at 1500 calories (+/- 100) during the weight lost period. In other cases you might be more interested in the health benefits of reducing inflammation in your body and avoiding all the cancer risks of sugar. Everything you do (exercise or diet related) must be tracked so that you can make sure you are not shorting yourself on anything. You're not gonna like losing muscle mass because you were unable to keep up on your caloric intake. Once the fat is gone, if you do not eat enough of it, the only thing left is your muscle mass. That is NOT a situation you want to be in.
- Intermittent fasting has many health benefits. But I really only recommend it once a person is already fully burning fat for energy. Getting thru the first month can be tough both mentally & physically so I feel it’s best to keep eating during that period. You’re already going to be losing weight at a rapid pace early on. No need to make things harder on yourself. Once fat adapted, fasting becomes so natural that you won’t even realize you’re doing it. Your daily intake will naturally start to look like:

Breakfast: Espresso w/ heavy cream
Lunch: 500-700 calories
Dinner: 1000-1300 calories

Safety…
- You will will encounter naysayers that claim staying in ketosis is unsafe. Read this blog post: https://ketokrate.com/is-the-keto-diet-safe-10-myth-busting-arguments-f…
- Carbs cause water retention. So by going Keto, you have switched your body to it’s more natural state of a water flushing system. That's where the initial 10-15 lbs of weight loss is going to come from, simply your body dumping all the excess water is was carrying around. Drink plenty of water to maintain proper organ function. I cannot stress this enough.
- Use Himalayan sea salt (on food & mixed in your water) to prevent your kidneys from wasting potassium to compensate for low sodium. Otherwise you may experience cramping.
- If you haven’t noticed by now, your liver plays a huge role in all of this. Think about that when considering alcohol consumption. It produces your ketones and manages your insulin. The liver is a vital organ and should be respected, not abused.

Staying on Track…
- Adding your food into the MyFitnessPal app takes about 2 minutes per meal. For a total of about 4 minutes per day. There is no excuse that this is too time consuming or a hassle. You wouldn’t guess on the oil you put in your car or the measurements of building your home. So give your body the same respect. 4 minutes per day is all it takes and you can do it while eating as easily as checking your social media. Tracking your food intake is the single most important physical step you can take to ensure your success in all of this. Prioritize it every day. Failing to use the app is guaranteeing failure in this process. By 90 days everything will be so habitual, the lifestyle change will be set & the app will more be a backup tool than a daily necessity. Im 9 months in and I still track everything religiously, but again, Im nuts. I dont expect everyone to be that OCD once this far along.
- Weigh-in only once per week (I do it Sunday mornings) and update all the Apple HealthKit body measurements. Take a pic of your body at this time as well. These pics are hugely important for when gauging results over time and usually are very encouraging, unlike the scale. Also keep measuring your waistline. These 3 different metrics will keep you encouraged as some will show progress while others dont.
- Get in the kitchen. Dinner prep will be some work, but so what. It’s only one meal a day and can be done while watching TV or better yet a great time to spend time with your family.
- Literally every food you love can be made with a healthy recipe. My wife made me pizza last night. She's figured out how to make almond flour pancakes (super high in fat) and later this week she's figuring out how to make a healthy jumbo soft pretzels because they were my favorite thing at ball games.
- Fat is efficient and slow burning. Which means it is by far the best energy source out there. But you will stop feeling hungry. You will skip breakfast most days (totally ok) and have to remind yourself of lunch. Which is fine. The meal you MUST eat is dinner and it should be the biggest meal of the day. Go big and guilt free.
- The most successful participants in this program I’ve helped asked the most questions, so ask questions, lots of them! I see it as almost as vital to your success as disciplined food diary logging.
- And lastly, have a support group. Success is much easier with a team. For me I was extremely motivated on my own but the person who turned me on to this still texts me a few times per week with videos & articles to read. In turn, I've been there for everyone else that I've helped as a sort of "pay it forward". So if you have questions, lean on me. I want updates. There's an entire culture out there working against us all to keep us unhealthy. The least we can do is team up to give ourselves a fighting chance against society's influence.

STEP 6: IN REVIEW

1. Accept the Lifestyle Change
2. Find Your Motivation
3. Use the App to track your Food Intake Religiously

|
Casting
2/11/2019 11:54am Edited Date/Time 2/11/2019 11:55am
Interesting. Thanks for sharing all the info.

Last year I really stepped up my cycling, mostly riding mountain bikes but some rode bikes on occasion, and now that I'm riding more I've had to really increase my caloric intake.

Since I'm eating more to sustain myself, I've put more thought into what dietary lifestyle I should be following.

The biggest challenge for me is finding foods that are agreed upon as being healthy (seems like people differ more and more on what meets that definition these days). I think once I can identify a decent assortment of appropriate foods it will be easier for me to follow this sort of lifestyle diet. The list you posted is helpful.

For what it's worth I'm 5'10 and about 155lbs and ride about 100 miles per week on average.
2/11/2019 12:36pm
Casting wrote:
Interesting. Thanks for sharing all the info. Last year I really stepped up my cycling, mostly riding mountain bikes but some rode bikes on occasion, and...
Interesting. Thanks for sharing all the info.

Last year I really stepped up my cycling, mostly riding mountain bikes but some rode bikes on occasion, and now that I'm riding more I've had to really increase my caloric intake.

Since I'm eating more to sustain myself, I've put more thought into what dietary lifestyle I should be following.

The biggest challenge for me is finding foods that are agreed upon as being healthy (seems like people differ more and more on what meets that definition these days). I think once I can identify a decent assortment of appropriate foods it will be easier for me to follow this sort of lifestyle diet. The list you posted is helpful.

For what it's worth I'm 5'10 and about 155lbs and ride about 100 miles per week on average.
So in my case, I was riding the dirtbike daily and playing tennis 4 days per week (2.5 hour matches). And going to the gym nearly every day. Burning about 4000 calories per day according to my Apple Watch.

I gained 7 lbs over nine months.

Then I started keto. Nevermind the caloric deficit & expected weight loss, you'd think that with all the cardio I was previously doing, my cardio would be very strong. But what I learned after going keto was that I actually had very little cardio strength at all. During those long days at the track or during tennis matches, I was running on sugar. I needed constant boosts from snacks & gatorade to keep going. And too be honest, I never really could last more than 2 laps at full pace.

Once going keto, my body was forced to develop a cardio base that I never had my entire life (I used to be a avid road cyclist). Initially I could only do about 1/2 a lap before I was dead tired. I wasnt sore. Just winded. But day after day I kept at it and slowly added to my lap count. After getting fully "fat adapted" I found myself able to do 33 minute motos at full effort. Something I NEVER was even remotely capable of doing in the past. I can play tennis 3+ hours straight with little fatigue so long as I keep drinking water with sodium in it.

Point being, I never really had any cardio, and without sugar I was forced to build a solid base. And the better your cardio gets in this metabolic state, the higher your threshold gets for not needing carbs for intense calorie burn. I dont need fruit anymore to get me thru long tennis matches. I never get sore. I wake up every day feeling great regardless of how hard I went the day before.

I never really knew the difference between fatigue from lack of oxygen to your muscles versus fatigue from lactic acid buildup & sugar depletion. I know now and the difference has turned me into the best athlete I've ever been. Im a better athlete today (nearly 40) than I was at 24 years old when I used to be in the gym 5 hours per day AND riding motorsports 4 days per week AND cycling 100 miles per week.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
2/11/2019 2:52pm
Thank you for all the information. I just read the whole thing outloud to my wife. My deal is I was a maniac when I raced for over 20 years. Gym every day, track 3 to 4 days a week. Bike everyday. Addicted to my running machine. I was never big into candy/sugar growing up and literally didnt drink one carbonated drink for a decade racing. I was so lean until about 35. Then I found out I have Celiac and had to cut out all the foods I was eating the most of and gluten free was still new and at the time and no good alternatives. Unfortunately they use sugar for flavor. I quit racing and training and started drinking coke and not caring about sugar. I was fine but I feel it has caught up to me. Turns out the celiac has been doing a lot of damage even though I have been 100 percent gluten free since diagnosed. I have recently had complications from damage done to my intestines and stomach wall. I have been feeling extra sick for about 2 years now with holes in my guts and had to stop riding, boating and about all the fun things I enjoy even golf, I had to quit that awhile back due to the pain. I had been very depressed and gained a bunch of weight these two years and have the least amount of energy I ever had. It's been a bummer because everything else in life is very blessed as far as finances and my wife and daughter are amazing.
I just cant seem to find decent energy and my inflammation from all my moto injuries are horrible but i am done feeling sorry for myself and want to get healthy again. I am a very dedicated person and my wife and I both had the Garman watches and the health app you mentioned for a while until our straps both broke. I am going to order a new one right now. We had problems ever getting into ketosis. I bought the blood tester and never got there. I think we ate way too many veggies at first maybe.

The Shop

Shawn142
2/11/2019 3:10pm
I've really only started on this kick the last few weeks. I work 60+ hours a week and my diet had turned to garbage. Gained a lot of weight and felt like doing something about it, so my wife and I refocused our meal planning and now cook everything at home. Besides the headaches from shaking the sugar craving my experience with the plan has been nothing but positive. I've already dropped nearly 10lbs.
newmann
2/11/2019 3:26pm
"So in my case, I was riding the dirtbike daily and playing tennis 4 days per week (2.5 hour matches). And going to the gym nearly every day."

Where does one find the time for all of that? Asking for a friend...Laughing

2/11/2019 5:50pm
newmann wrote:
"So in my case, I was riding the dirtbike daily and playing tennis 4 days per week (2.5 hour matches). And going to the gym nearly...
"So in my case, I was riding the dirtbike daily and playing tennis 4 days per week (2.5 hour matches). And going to the gym nearly every day."

Where does one find the time for all of that? Asking for a friend...Laughing

I was on a extended paternity leave. And trying to fight depression with sports as an outlet (see other thread that prompted this one).

Also, getting up at 5am everyday doesnt hurt hahaha.
2/11/2019 5:54pm Edited Date/Time 2/11/2019 5:54pm
FLmxer wrote:
Thank you for all the information. I just read the whole thing outloud to my wife. My deal is I was a maniac when I raced...
Thank you for all the information. I just read the whole thing outloud to my wife. My deal is I was a maniac when I raced for over 20 years. Gym every day, track 3 to 4 days a week. Bike everyday. Addicted to my running machine. I was never big into candy/sugar growing up and literally didnt drink one carbonated drink for a decade racing. I was so lean until about 35. Then I found out I have Celiac and had to cut out all the foods I was eating the most of and gluten free was still new and at the time and no good alternatives. Unfortunately they use sugar for flavor. I quit racing and training and started drinking coke and not caring about sugar. I was fine but I feel it has caught up to me. Turns out the celiac has been doing a lot of damage even though I have been 100 percent gluten free since diagnosed. I have recently had complications from damage done to my intestines and stomach wall. I have been feeling extra sick for about 2 years now with holes in my guts and had to stop riding, boating and about all the fun things I enjoy even golf, I had to quit that awhile back due to the pain. I had been very depressed and gained a bunch of weight these two years and have the least amount of energy I ever had. It's been a bummer because everything else in life is very blessed as far as finances and my wife and daughter are amazing.
I just cant seem to find decent energy and my inflammation from all my moto injuries are horrible but i am done feeling sorry for myself and want to get healthy again. I am a very dedicated person and my wife and I both had the Garman watches and the health app you mentioned for a while until our straps both broke. I am going to order a new one right now. We had problems ever getting into ketosis. I bought the blood tester and never got there. I think we ate way too many veggies at first maybe.
Dont stress on veggies. Stress on all the hidden sugars.

And just so we're clear, when I say "sugar" is the enemy, Im not just referring to cane sugar. Im talking about anything that is metabolized into glucose. So that means starches, breads, rice, beans, etc.

Once you go keto you realize that about 98% of everything in the grocery store is pretty much something you should avoid.
SEE ARE125
2/11/2019 7:34pm Edited Date/Time 2/11/2019 7:46pm
Thanks for posting this. I’ve been considering doing it because I’ve heard it reduces inflammation, been struggling with some joint inflammation in my shoulders and ankles the past couple years.
2/11/2019 7:51pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2019 9:52am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Thanks for posting this. I’ve been considering doing it because I’ve heard it reduces inflammation, been struggling with some joint inflammation in my shoulders and ankles...
Thanks for posting this. I’ve been considering doing it because I’ve heard it reduces inflammation, been struggling with some joint inflammation in my shoulders and ankles the past couple years.
For your shoulder, I highly recommend getting in a routine of hanging from a chinup bar every morning. Start at 30 seconds and over the course of 6 months work your way up to 5 mins. This, along with a nutrition plan that reduces inflammation will do wonders for your shoulder.

1500-2000 calories is enough. Because not all calories are created equal. Calories from fat are extremely nutrient dense (such as red meat & dairy).

Your body will equalize. And if you manage your fat intake, you shouldn’t lose muscle mass. If you want to add/keep bulk, hit the weights & plenty of red meat.

Tim Tebow is keto. And that dude is huge.
MXant15
Fantasy
802nd
2/11/2019 8:17pm
Thanks for all the info Jabroni,

I’ve dabbled with keto but I struggle with the family events, hard weeks at work, and/or vacations, and I tend to really love beer. My question is how do you/or someone, enjoy an adult beverage “on occasion” and still maintain with keto? This has been the most difficult hurdle in my brief keto experience.

Thanks
2/11/2019 8:59pm Edited Date/Time 2/12/2019 9:58am
MXant15 wrote:
Thanks for all the info Jabroni, I’ve dabbled with keto but I struggle with the family events, hard weeks at work, and/or vacations, and I tend...

I’ve dabbled with keto but I struggle with the family events, hard weeks at work, and/or vacations, and I tend to really love beer. My question is how do you/or someone, enjoy an adult beverage “on occasion” and still maintain with keto? This has been the most difficult hurdle in my brief keto experience.

Thanks
Well, I’ll do my best to answer that question. But consider the source.

Im a bit of a extremist. Im all about maximizing my body’s potential and because of that, I just cant rationalize alcohol consumption. Anything that damages my liver just doesnt make sense to me. And anything that so blatantly can cause cancer, again, I cant rationalize.

Also: I quit drinking to support my wife’s sobriety. Alcoholism runs in her family and it’s done a lot of damage. It was hurting our relationship and so she quit one day. And I had too to support her. It’s eliminated 99% of every argument we used to have. We watch the effect alcohol plays in most other relationships and we dont miss it at all.

But to your actual question... the answer is, your motivation. You think I dont love pizza? Or hashbrowns? Or sourdough bread? Im a foodie thru and thru. But none of it is worth the dibilitating pain I was in. I love playing sports more than I love food. I love not having back pain for the first time in 20+ years. Or no more insomnia. Or no more allergies in the Spring.

You gotta ask yourself if alcohol is more important than your health. Or at the very least find something more important to you than alcohol to motivate you. If it’s a social crutch, that’s a hard one to break but not impossible.

During social functions I drink soda water & lime. My wife & I have learned how to enjoy a night out without being drunk. It definitely took some getting used too. The wild nights in Vegas are no more, but so are the fights & hangovers. We get up early, hit the gym, and get half a day of fun in before the rest of the couples wake up.

I think it's important that when quitting anything, you dont just quit it, but replace it with something.
MXant15
Fantasy
802nd
2/11/2019 11:00pm
MXant15 wrote:
Thanks for all the info Jabroni, I’ve dabbled with keto but I struggle with the family events, hard weeks at work, and/or vacations, and I tend...

Thanks
Well, I’ll do my best to answer that question. But consider the source. Im a bit of a extremist. Im all about maximizing my body’s potential...
Well, I’ll do my best to answer that question. But consider the source.

Im a bit of a extremist. Im all about maximizing my body’s potential and because of that, I just cant rationalize alcohol consumption. Anything that damages my liver just doesnt make sense to me. And anything that so blatantly can cause cancer, again, I cant rationalize.

Also: I quit drinking to support my wife’s sobriety. Alcoholism runs in her family and it’s done a lot of damage. It was hurting our relationship and so she quit one day. And I had too to support her. It’s eliminated 99% of every argument we used to have. We watch the effect alcohol plays in most other relationships and we dont miss it at all.

But to your actual question... the answer is, your motivation. You think I dont love pizza? Or hashbrowns? Or sourdough bread? Im a foodie thru and thru. But none of it is worth the dibilitating pain I was in. I love playing sports more than I love food. I love not having back pain for the first time in 20+ years. Or no more insomnia. Or no more allergies in the Spring.

You gotta ask yourself if alcohol is more important than your health. Or at the very least find something more important to you than alcohol to motivate you. If it’s a social crutch, that’s a hard one to break but not impossible.

During social functions I drink soda water & lime. My wife & I have learned how to enjoy a night out without being drunk. It definitely took some getting used too. The wild nights in Vegas are no more, but so are the fights & hangovers. We get up early, hit the gym, and get half a day of fun in before the rest of the couples wake up.

I think it's important that when quitting anything, you dont just quit it, but replace it with something.
Thank you for the response and I appreciate you sharing your personal situation with us. I know that alcohol will never be apart of any type of healthy lifestyle or well being, I can go weeks without ever drinking a drop, but being a “beer enthusiasts”, I was looking for advice as to what would be a “keto friendly” alternative.

I re-read my original post and I laughed to myself based on how feeble my question sounded... I know the answer.. don’t drink beer. Period. Done.

I am going to stick to the keto thing without beer for awhile and see what happens. Thank you for your time!

-Anthony
steed 2.0
2/12/2019 5:21am
Quit sugar ( guarantee… you lose 10/20 lb a year ) not unimportant alcohol is sugar as well.
Watches this lecture and find out why fat doesn't make fat per se... high fructose syrup is the problem here…

https://youtu.be/dBnniua6-oM
Casting
2/12/2019 5:55am Edited Date/Time 2/12/2019 5:58am
Hey Jabroni, question for ya.

I'm a bit obsessed with cycling at the moment, it's my go-to stress reliever after work, and on some days thinking about my post-work ride is what keeps me motivated throughout the day. I foresee a barrier with myself getting through the initial 0-30 days if I feel too down in the dumps to ride after work (Looks like day 1-10 is hardest, but maybe there is still some lingering fatigue up to day 30).

Basically, my question is, should I still expect to be able to ride through day 1-30, even if it's just harder, or should I expect to not have the energy/strength/etc to ride during this transition period. If riding during the transition is out of the question, I can see this being a lot harder, but if I can still ride (even if just 10 miles a day) it would make the transition a lot more realistic in terms of potential for success.

I appreciate any feedback you can give.
2/12/2019 9:54am
steed 2.0 wrote:
Quit sugar ( guarantee… you lose 10/20 lb a year ) not unimportant alcohol is sugar as well. Watches this lecture and find out why fat...
Quit sugar ( guarantee… you lose 10/20 lb a year ) not unimportant alcohol is sugar as well.
Watches this lecture and find out why fat doesn't make fat per se... high fructose syrup is the problem here…

https://youtu.be/dBnniua6-oM
I lost about 47 lbs in 90 days.
ocscottie
2/12/2019 10:07am
Broni, i need to find a high fiber + low carb cereal for my late night snack. The meds i take mess up my stomach if i dont eat at night when i take them, so usually around 10-11pm i would have a bowl of Frosted Mini Wheats. I need the fiber cuz im on pain meds and it helps me shit, but i gotta find something low carb/sugar.

Any ideas? i tried Special K, but doesnt have enough fiber, guess i could just up my intake of Metamucil?
2/12/2019 10:12am
Casting wrote:
Hey Jabroni, question for ya. I'm a bit obsessed with cycling at the moment, it's my go-to stress reliever after work, and on some days thinking...
Hey Jabroni, question for ya.

I'm a bit obsessed with cycling at the moment, it's my go-to stress reliever after work, and on some days thinking about my post-work ride is what keeps me motivated throughout the day. I foresee a barrier with myself getting through the initial 0-30 days if I feel too down in the dumps to ride after work (Looks like day 1-10 is hardest, but maybe there is still some lingering fatigue up to day 30).

Basically, my question is, should I still expect to be able to ride through day 1-30, even if it's just harder, or should I expect to not have the energy/strength/etc to ride during this transition period. If riding during the transition is out of the question, I can see this being a lot harder, but if I can still ride (even if just 10 miles a day) it would make the transition a lot more realistic in terms of potential for success.

I appreciate any feedback you can give.
The first 2 weeks are going to be tough. Im not saying you have to go cold turkey on the exercise, but you really have to scale it back a LOT to set yourself up for success. You're just not going to have the energy or cardio to ride like you're used too.

Your focus that first 14 days needs to be on your fat, sodium, and water intake. That is a hard enough task. Do not think that this is something you can just push thru with will power. I dont want you to hurt yourself. You gotta realize that you're forcing all these avocados down but your body isnt really looking for fat to fuel itself yet.

You're no different than me in that I am obsessed with tennis. So yes, you can ride from days 1-30 but you need to be PATIENT with yourself and let your body acclimate. I went from 2.5 hour matches to simply going to the courts to just hit 150 serves.

I'd drop it to even just 5 miles and slowly add to it once you're out of the keto flu stage (day 14ish). Be very patient and do NOT start pushing yourself until at least after day 30. And that's if you were super strict in cutting sugar out of your life. No cheat days or any of that bullshit.

BE PATIENT. It will pay off in the end.
2/12/2019 10:19am
ocscottie wrote:
Broni, i need to find a high fiber + low carb cereal for my late night snack. The meds i take mess up my stomach if...
Broni, i need to find a high fiber + low carb cereal for my late night snack. The meds i take mess up my stomach if i dont eat at night when i take them, so usually around 10-11pm i would have a bowl of Frosted Mini Wheats. I need the fiber cuz im on pain meds and it helps me shit, but i gotta find something low carb/sugar.

Any ideas? i tried Special K, but doesnt have enough fiber, guess i could just up my intake of Metamucil?
Welp... first of all, dairy milk has too much sugar in it. So I hope you're using almond milk for your cereal.

Eat celery.

As for a cereal substitute, this looks decent, although I havent tried it but I think Im gonna:

https://us.catalinacrunch.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-onjBRDSARIsAEZXcKZz83W4aF…
ocscottie
2/12/2019 10:22am
Yep, almond milk. That looks interesting, gonna order some right now. Thx dude ?
akmx17
2/12/2019 1:15pm
I've been doing Keto on/off for a year now.

I lost an initial 50-60 pounds, I'm trying to make a new run right now for 30 more pounds.

Doing it with Intermittent fasting (OMAD) with some longer fasts. I'm currently at hour 36 of 46 hours fast.

Then some gym time.

I have been going on off just because it's hard when you party to keep on track hahaha.

Far as diet just greens and meats. Don't really count macros and calorie intake.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
2/13/2019 9:13am
To ween myself off cokes I used sugar free crystal light. Is that an ok substitute for awhile? I think my hardest part is milk. I used to drink a gallon a day. Love it. Like life in a jug. I would bring a jug to track and guzzle inbetween 95 degree motos. When I feel sick it is instant relief. I believe I was overdoing it and cut back to about 2 gallons or less a week awhile ago. I know most dairy has to go but i guess cheese is ok.
SEE ARE125
2/13/2019 9:44am Edited Date/Time 2/13/2019 9:51am
Anyone tried Ketofridge or Ketonedbodies? We’ve alternated between a few meal delivery services for over a year for 2-3 meals a week for those busy evenings when we can’t get to the store or don’t have time to cook. The ones we currently use don’t offer a Keto meal plan, so I’m looking for something Keto friendly to fill the gap.
2/13/2019 1:46pm
FLmxer wrote:
To ween myself off cokes I used sugar free crystal light. Is that an ok substitute for awhile? I think my hardest part is milk. I...
To ween myself off cokes I used sugar free crystal light. Is that an ok substitute for awhile? I think my hardest part is milk. I used to drink a gallon a day. Love it. Like life in a jug. I would bring a jug to track and guzzle inbetween 95 degree motos. When I feel sick it is instant relief. I believe I was overdoing it and cut back to about 2 gallons or less a week awhile ago. I know most dairy has to go but i guess cheese is ok.
Keto Soda = pelligrino & limes/lemons

You get used to it quite fast and it becomes the new normal.

Milk has a lot of sugar in it. I agree, it’s tasty, I used to drink a lot as a kid. I gave up dairy for most of my adult life. Since going keto I’ve had to relearn what I thought about dairy. I was very wrong. Dairy is super dense calories and a necessary food source. My wife & several players I coach tried going without dairy cause they couldnt get over their past bias against it. They REALLY struggled with energy until they added dairy into their diet.

A big hangup was the kids were worried about acne. But the correlation between acne breakouts & dairy was misleading. I asked, was it really the dairy? Or was it the sugar in the ice cream or crust in the pizza?

All introduced dairy and none had acne outbreaks. All their energy improved drastically (dairy = easy fat intake). And since their body is now a “water flushing system” their pores of their skin are constantly flushing out what normally would’ve resulted in breakouts clogged pores.

All that said, milk is the one dairy product I would not recommend. Too much sugar & not enough fat.
2/13/2019 1:48pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Anyone tried Ketofridge or Ketonedbodies? We’ve alternated between a few meal delivery services for over a year for 2-3 meals a week for those busy evenings...
Anyone tried Ketofridge or Ketonedbodies? We’ve alternated between a few meal delivery services for over a year for 2-3 meals a week for those busy evenings when we can’t get to the store or don’t have time to cook. The ones we currently use don’t offer a Keto meal plan, so I’m looking for something Keto friendly to fill the gap.
I havent tried them yet but from a distance they look like a ample alternative to home cooking.
motosmith
2/13/2019 2:31pm
Can you achieve Ketosis by eating vegetables only? It seems you could achieve the same result without the high amount of fat.
2/13/2019 3:17pm
I'd say one of the tougher things about keto these days has been dealing with our pediatrician. She is constantly trying to push us to give our daughter more carbs from grains. She says it is essential for brain development. I have difficulty with is her assertion that the source of our carbs must include whole grains. Or that carbs will result in smarter people.

Considering the American diet is mostly carbs, I think it's safe to say it isnt making anyone any smarter. I continually ask the doctor WHY and the only response I get back is "that is what we were taught in school (and I went to medical school and you didnt so I am the authority)". That's not a good enough answer for me. I need to see actual logical evidence as to why.

This article seems to have a accurate & unbiased outlook. My only gripe would be that it calls ketones the "backup plan" whereas I call carbs nature's backup plan.:

https://www.mangomannutrition.com/carbs-helping-hurting-brain/

Here's another good article:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb-kids

My daughter LOVES vegetables. And eats a LOT of meat, probably more than is necessary. I have little doubt that she's getting enough brain food via her liver turning excess protein into glucose. She's hitting all her developmental milestones and the only thing she's down on is height, which I gotta believe is entirely genetic.

I've coached kids that come out of the ghetto growing up on the WORST nutrition yet are extremely tall. Look at all the malnourished athletes that come out of Africa. Genetics play such a huge role. And I also find it extremely odd that a parent can give their kid soda or heavily processed junk food and most doctors wouldnt at all question the parenting methods of the adult.

We have a lot of control with how our body "performs" but very little, if any, control over our genetic predispositions.

One comment my friend made regarding paleo, or keto, or similar nutrition plans is that the evidence is anecdotal because all of these require you to eliminate all the processed junk and so by that function alone, you're going to lose weight and get healthier. But in no way does it prove that you're actually able to perform at a higher level or that keto is actually healthier than simply avoiding cane sugar & processed foods. I think that is a interesting stance and I wont easily dismiss it.

And then I came across this article, it starts off sounding very well informed, but by the end you can see there is a vegan agenda at work. It gets even more humorous in the comments section where the author gets torn to shreds.

https://www.carlagoldenwellness.com/2015/06/15/is-the-brain-fueled-by-f…

My favorite comment...

Your logic is by far the most fallible I’ve ever seen. You realize that our ancestors were around about 6 million years ago, and the modern form of humans have been around for about a quarter million years.

Agriculture has been around for a few thousand at best. These “new options and opportunities” you speak of maybe cover the last 200?

A digestive system that took thousands of years to evolve could in no way give half a shit about your new age options. It hasn’t been subjected to a fraction of the timeline it would need to be beneficial to eat the crap on our shelves.

Ketosis is basically another way of fueling the body. As I understand many arctic-region humans could live their entire lives within ketosis. Some people are confused between nutritional ketosis vs ketoacitosis (seen in diabetics as something of a defense mechanism)

There is so much misinformation out there it's tough to sift thru. What's worse, is many have their hearts in the right place. They want to be healthy and want to do what's best for the environment. There is nothing wrong with either of those positions. But we all have varying opinions of how to get there.

One article will say the brain needs a ton of glucose, then another such as this one will say that spikes in excess glucose can actually impair brain development: https://www.thebrainworkshop.com/blog/the-importance-of-nutrition-and-b…

Personally? I come from the stance that industrial ag/farming is no doubt BAD for the environment. There's no way you can argue otherwise when it comes to modern farming practices. But that doesnt mean we're supposed to attempt to change what we fuel our body with just to suit this paradigm we've boxed ourselves into. All the evidence suggests to me that we're supposed to eat a diet high in fats, from animal proteins. And if the problem is that there isnt enough farmland on the planet to produce enough organic meats & veggies for all 7.5 billion of us, the problem isnt our food source or genetic needs, it's the fact that we're TRYING TO FEED 7.5 BILLION PEOPLE at once, something this planet was never suited for. But good luck telling that to a vegan, they seem hell bent on figuring out how we can feed 14 billion people, save the environment, and shape the evidence to support their moral compass.

At the end of the day, avoiding confirmation bias on this subject is very difficult. Which is why I suggest that any of us involved in this discussion share any info we may find as we can collectively sift thru the bullshit together.

Post a reply to: Keto

The Latest