Hurricane Ian

Rickyisms
Edited Date/Time 10/8/2022 12:10pm
Any other FL residents lurking? What area are you in and how prepared are you?
|
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
9/26/2022 7:19am Edited Date/Time 9/26/2022 7:29am
I hope everone remains safe that is in its path. I bought wood for windows when the cone of uncertainty was a direct hit but it moved north of me the last updates and I fealt a bit of relief but it's trending back at me now and I am a bit worried again. I used to really stress because I owned 2 beach houses on Sanibel right on the farthest western point of the island. When I was a kid the houses were not beach front but the houses in front washed away and mine became beach front. Also they were historical land sites and if the houses moved off their footprint the city would take the property. I sold them when the coastal setback moved to the front of my property. Being next to a pass the sandbar island constantly moves. One year 200 feet of beach the next 20 the next 250 etc.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
9/26/2022 7:35am Edited Date/Time 9/26/2022 7:49am
As a teen i worked at South Seas plantation giving the historic tour of the barrier islands on jet ski's. Sometimes groups of 20 tourists on ski's. One no name storm created those 4 big passes. One is 60 feet deep. Basically turned one land mass into 4 large barrier islands. Pretty scarry how strong these storms can be.
I met Sylvester Stallone, Dani Devito and many other celebrities at the 5 star resort. the Rock before he was big used to work out every morning on the T dock where the ski's sat. It was a great place for a teen to work. On the off season I basically fished and golfed all day and got paid to hang out in Paradise. Good times.

Rickyisms
9/26/2022 8:04am
FLmxer wrote:
I hope everone remains safe that is in its path. I bought wood for windows when the cone of uncertainty was a direct hit but it...
I hope everone remains safe that is in its path. I bought wood for windows when the cone of uncertainty was a direct hit but it moved north of me the last updates and I fealt a bit of relief but it's trending back at me now and I am a bit worried again. I used to really stress because I owned 2 beach houses on Sanibel right on the farthest western point of the island. When I was a kid the houses were not beach front but the houses in front washed away and mine became beach front. Also they were historical land sites and if the houses moved off their footprint the city would take the property. I sold them when the coastal setback moved to the front of my property. Being next to a pass the sandbar island constantly moves. One year 200 feet of beach the next 20 the next 250 etc.
I’ve been here all 21 years if my life, so the hurricanes aren’t new to me. First time in my current house though, couple blocks away from the water. I’m near Venice.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
9/26/2022 8:10am
Nice. I really like Venice, its a beautiful area. On the rare occasion there was waves to surf, Venice always seemed one of the best spots. Maybe not the best attribute during a hurricane though. Be safe.

The Shop

FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
9/26/2022 8:15am
My house and 2 rentals are right where the southern cone line hits land and my farm is right between there and the big lake Okeechobee.
ns503
9/26/2022 9:31am
I hope you guys make out better with Ian than we did with Fiona this past weekend. Got absolutely clobbered. I am counting blessings, we were on the west edge so didnt take a direct hit. Have lots of family that did though. Still no power, that could go on for days.
SEEMEFIRST
9/26/2022 11:38am
FLmxer wrote:
My house and 2 rentals are right where the southern cone line hits land and my farm is right between there and the big lake Okeechobee.
Bummer, the dirty side.
From the sound of it, the gulf is a little cooler than the Caribbean so maybe it won't gain power, and perhaps lose some.
Rickyisms
9/26/2022 11:43am
FLmxer wrote:
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Bummer, the dirty side. From the sound of it, the gulf is a little cooler than the Caribbean so maybe it won't gain power, and perhaps...
Bummer, the dirty side.
From the sound of it, the gulf is a little cooler than the Caribbean so maybe it won't gain power, and perhaps lose some.
They usually weaken slightly in the gulf before hitting land.
Jeremy A.K.
9/26/2022 12:56pm
My parents have a place in bradenton, they are currently up here in NY
swordfish
9/26/2022 3:26pm
We just got smoked by Fiona. Hoping FLA fares well.
sandman768
9/26/2022 3:27pm
I’m in Jupiter on the east coast. We should be ok, just a lot of rain & possible flooding. Hopefully we won’t lose power, I have beer & pretzels ready…pounded laps at Orlando MX yesterday as it looks like this week riding will be a little sketchy 😂 first potential hurricane for me, hopefully it loses steam & everyone stays safe….
str8line
9/26/2022 4:15pm
I have a place in The Villages, which is 85 miles northeast of Tampa. I'm not there and not too worried but you never know. Supposedly the area handles flooding well but this one might put it to the test. I also just put some new palm trees(shorty's) in so hopefully they can handle the wind if we get it.

Hope you guys in Florida make it through this safely and without too much damage.
FastEddy
Fantasy
944th
9/26/2022 4:46pm Edited Date/Time 9/26/2022 4:47pm
If you guys want to follow a guy for updates on this storm in regards to the Tampa area... Dennis Phillips is the best.
He's always been pretty spot on and doesn't play into the national media fear game.
He's all about just the facts.
This is his FB page. https://www.facebook.com/denisphillipsweatherman
Mr.Hankey
9/26/2022 5:03pm
FLmxer wrote:
I hope everone remains safe that is in its path. I bought wood for windows when the cone of uncertainty was a direct hit but it...
Rickyisms wrote:
I’ve been here all 21 years if my life, so the hurricanes aren’t new to me. First time in my current house though, couple blocks away...
I’ve been here all 21 years if my life, so the hurricanes aren’t new to me. First time in my current house though, couple blocks away from the water. I’m near Venice.
I’m in Venice as well. Usually I’m pretty stoked when we get action in the gulf (surf wise)but this one seems a little close for comfort. Stocked up on beer and more beer today and just gonna hope for the best. Don’t hesitate to reach out to me if ur in need of a hand.
str8line
9/26/2022 5:13pm
FastEddy wrote:
If you guys want to follow a guy for updates on this storm in regards to the Tampa area... Dennis Phillips is the best. He's always...
If you guys want to follow a guy for updates on this storm in regards to the Tampa area... Dennis Phillips is the best.
He's always been pretty spot on and doesn't play into the national media fear game.
He's all about just the facts.
This is his FB page. https://www.facebook.com/denisphillipsweatherman
He's saying because of the slow speed of the storm there could be two high tide cycles of storm surge if the storm stays off shore. The alternative is the storm goes on shore with disastrous winds.
Rickyisms
9/27/2022 5:33am
FLmxer wrote:
Rickyisms wrote:
I’ve been here all 21 years if my life, so the hurricanes aren’t new to me. First time in my current house though, couple blocks away...
Mr.Hankey wrote:
I’m in Venice as well. Usually I’m pretty stoked when we get action in the gulf (surf wise)but this one seems a little close for comfort...
I’m in Venice as well. Usually I’m pretty stoked when we get action in the gulf (surf wise)but this one seems a little close for comfort. Stocked up on beer and more beer today and just gonna hope for the best. Don’t hesitate to reach out to me if ur in need of a hand.
Sent you a PM with my phone #
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
9/27/2022 5:45am
Be safe guys it's going to be a long few days.
wwdiii
9/27/2022 8:48am
I live on the Texas coast. I understand how serious storms can be. Hope is not a strategy but hope it blows through Florida quick and everybody is ok. Hurricane Harvey dumped 56 inches of rain in my back yard a few years back, I get it.
charlie68
9/27/2022 9:47am
Be safe and smart down there guys, if they say evacuate, GTFO, nothing you have is worth risking your life against mother nature. I still have a pretty good memory of what super storm Sandy did to New York and the northeast, wasnt pretty and that wasn't even a hurricane.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
9/28/2022 6:13am Edited Date/Time 9/28/2022 9:18am
Be safe friends. The eye wall is an hour from us and we already have some trees down and my neighborhood is about 2 feet deep already..
ns503
9/28/2022 6:19am
From someone still dealing with the aftermath of Fiona - good luck. Hurricanes are the absolute worst. With the exception of tornadoes. In day 5 of our outage here. With a bunch of tree mess still to deal with. Just ordered another inverter gennie from Costco last night for more future backup. Those things are life savers in extended outages.
LungButter
9/28/2022 6:56am
Hoping for the best Florida bros.

I was just in Orlando for 8 days for work, the airport was busier than normal on Sunday for sure.
early
Fantasy
2231st
9/28/2022 7:10am
Good luck everyone, hoping for the best
Motox627!
9/28/2022 7:18am
Stay safe guys! Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers! This one looks like its going to be nasty...... Sad
swordfish
9/28/2022 8:24am
ns503 wrote:
From someone still dealing with the aftermath of Fiona - good luck. Hurricanes are the absolute worst. With the exception of tornadoes. In day 5 of...
From someone still dealing with the aftermath of Fiona - good luck. Hurricanes are the absolute worst. With the exception of tornadoes. In day 5 of our outage here. With a bunch of tree mess still to deal with. Just ordered another inverter gennie from Costco last night for more future backup. Those things are life savers in extended outages.
We got hit with a baby compared to what they are in store for. Not to discount the damage in Atlantic Canada but man they are in for a ride. I lived through 2 Cat 4 Hurricanes in Florida.
[YM]
Fantasy
2113th
9/28/2022 12:43pm
It's passing the Freedom Factory soon. Stay safe out there!

lumpy790
9/28/2022 2:51pm Edited Date/Time 9/28/2022 2:53pm
Fill your gas tanks gas will jump $2 or more

Post a reply to: Hurricane Ian

The Latest