diesel in the turns

tasco
Edited Date/Time 2/23/2016 8:46pm
Does it seem like Dungey takes the lowest lines in the corners, lower then anyone else on the track? I wonder if his bike is tuned for more low end power helping him get out of the turns. Possibly even helping him with the starts. There is a reason he is called the diesel right?
|
ML512
Fantasy
45th
2/21/2016 3:48pm
Should we start calling him "Turbo Diesel" instead? WinkSmile
Crush
2/21/2016 3:57pm
He was definitely cutting down more than he typically does last night but he has been riding those low lines all his pro-career...

ie last night his arc was tightening more as he exited.
FIREfish148
2/21/2016 3:57pm
ML512 wrote:
Should we start calling him "Turbo Diesel" instead? WinkSmile
I'm sure "Stew" would like to be called bubba or james, or Stewart. Just the way it goes sometimes.
Big Lenny
2/21/2016 4:00pm
tasco wrote:
Does it seem like Dungey takes the lowest lines in the corners, lower then anyone else on the track? I wonder if his bike is tuned...
Does it seem like Dungey takes the lowest lines in the corners, lower then anyone else on the track? I wonder if his bike is tuned for more low end power helping him get out of the turns. Possibly even helping him with the starts. There is a reason he is called the diesel right?
They mentioned it in the broadcast..said his bike was allowing him to do that...

The Shop

MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
2/21/2016 4:11pm
Watxh the chasing the dream episode from a week ago..... they show Aldon, Dunge, and Marv analyzing split times and total distance traveled on the track.

I bet it's literally a calculation provided through lit-pro data that tells them if the lower speed is worth the less distance traveled.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
2/21/2016 4:17pm
It is one of the reasons he is so good, watch Cooper Webb, he stays really low in the corners too. It's really smart riding.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
2/21/2016 6:47pm
That new chassis can carve a turn, Moose can is doing the same thing.
Celine
2/21/2016 7:29pm
I couldn't believe how sharp and low Dungey's turns were last night. That bike is handling really well for him. I think he had Roczen, though, if there were just another lap. Even with the one-lined track.
2/21/2016 9:04pm
I actually paid more attention at the Texas race, I noted that whilst in cruising in second and then closing on Kenny Ryan was railing the turns, full arc if you like.

Then when he caught Kenny he started cutting down lower and squaring off the turns.

My point, i don't have one!
Rotaholic
2/21/2016 10:07pm
He learnt to corner like that on a Suzuki, just sayin
markit
2/21/2016 10:12pm Edited Date/Time 2/21/2016 10:13pm
That was water they where putting in the corners and on the track.
Jeremy200
2/21/2016 10:55pm
He has definitely found his groove, riding awesome. I was scared for Kenny the whole race.
smrscott
2/21/2016 11:40pm
If he does not like his nickname - lets change it.

For now on we can call him Turbo D. He will never know if we are calling him Turbo Dungey or Turbo Diesel.

Two thumbs up for TURBO D
IWreckALot
2/22/2016 4:51am
Celine wrote:
I couldn't believe how sharp and low Dungey's turns were last night. That bike is handling really well for him. I think he had Roczen, though...
I couldn't believe how sharp and low Dungey's turns were last night. That bike is handling really well for him. I think he had Roczen, though, if there were just another lap. Even with the one-lined track.
There were two times in the race that Dungey had the opportunity to run Roczen wide and steal a bit of a gap but he didn't do it. I bet he takes those opportunities in the coming races in that same situation.

He got close at least twice to making a pass but both times he either missed a critical rhythm, or lappers played a slight role. They weren't "in the way" but Dungey had to go around them. When he made a mistake, it took a couple of laps for him to catch back up. He was catching back up the whole last lap. Roczen rode hard and smart all night. If he wants to climb back into this one, he has to do that 8 more times.
2/22/2016 5:08am Edited Date/Time 2/22/2016 5:10am
Rotaholic wrote:
and the team manager is quite the machinist, and has a notebook, somewhere, with measurements he has been writing down for many, many years.

When the production rule came into effect, DeCoster, and Dave Arnold were responsible for the production bikes. This is the CR250 from the last year DeCoster worked for Honda.

From 93-94, Roger worked for Hi-Torque, then goes to Suzuki. All of a sudden, the bike looks like this...

MXA put them next to each other, and there were lots of interchangeable parts... Not saying Roger is a "copy cat", im saying he knows what works, knows what doesnt, and he keeps it all written down, and takes it with him.
MR. X
2/22/2016 5:16am
Why wouldn't he take the inside lines ,Kenny was taking the outside lines and Dungey was looking to pass ,not follow.
sandman768
2/22/2016 5:25am
I also noticed how sharply Dungey could cut down, smart, not following. Was waiting for Dungey to punt Roczen off the track! would have sent a clear message to Roczen about who is in charge. I"m sure Aldon would have approved!
mimafia
Fantasy
2682nd
2/22/2016 6:22am
Rotaholic wrote:
I remember being amazed at his corner speed at Red Bud regionals when he was a B rider on Suzuki. Had a 1/2 lap lead on second place. Then went straight to Team Suzuki.
Darryl916
2/22/2016 6:32am
Was a great race. Ryan has no reason to feel threatened. He has a bit of points cushion, is notoriously the most consistent in the top 2, and was not gapped by Ken at any point to where he couldn't close back up at will and hold Ken's fender while taking peaks past using whatever line Ken wasn't using.

Ken is the one that should feel pressure, not Ryan. He has a huge mountain to climb if he thinks he can take this championship. If Ryan makes no changes at all, Ken will have to ride that same ride about 8 more times straight. That's a huge deal. Not likely based on historical. I think Ryan has shown more mental toughness and will continue to. As was said on the podium, championships are won on the bad days. Damn hard to beat someone who's worst days are second pressuring for the lead.
MBR
2/22/2016 7:46am Edited Date/Time 2/22/2016 7:54am
and the team manager is quite the machinist, and has a notebook, somewhere, with measurements he has been writing down for many, many years. When the...
and the team manager is quite the machinist, and has a notebook, somewhere, with measurements he has been writing down for many, many years.

When the production rule came into effect, DeCoster, and Dave Arnold were responsible for the production bikes. This is the CR250 from the last year DeCoster worked for Honda.

From 93-94, Roger worked for Hi-Torque, then goes to Suzuki. All of a sudden, the bike looks like this...

MXA put them next to each other, and there were lots of interchangeable parts... Not saying Roger is a "copy cat", im saying he knows what works, knows what doesnt, and he keeps it all written down, and takes it with him.
Funny thing, I just a few days ago went looking for some ski boots from my moms place and stumbled across some of my early 90's MX magazines. I think it was Dirt Bike magazine that had this CR250R frame & swing arm mod by DeCoster. I remember reading this and planning to do same mods to my 1993 CR125R
MR. X
2/22/2016 8:05am
Only Kenny really knows how hard he had to work to stay in front of Dungey, I'm guessing he'll watch the race and maybe wonder how Dungey was taking the shorter way through the corners and still leaving with as much speed as him . As fans of the sport , we win as long as these keep battling like they just did.
markit
2/23/2016 6:25am
MR. X wrote:
Only Kenny really knows how hard he had to work to stay in front of Dungey, I'm guessing he'll watch the race and maybe wonder how...
Only Kenny really knows how hard he had to work to stay in front of Dungey, I'm guessing he'll watch the race and maybe wonder how Dungey was taking the shorter way through the corners and still leaving with as much speed as him . As fans of the sport , we win as long as these keep battling like they just did.
He looked pretty winded in his, interview
lumpy790
2/23/2016 7:26am
It's a shorter distance so it is quicker. Pro Circuit riders have mastered the turn down for many years. Pretty sure Mitch teaches them that.
IWreckALot
2/23/2016 8:07am
There were corners that Dungey just simply picked a very slightly different line that helped him out. For example, Dungey's line was slightly outside of Roczen's the corner right after the over-under. And half of the race, Dungey was hitting the rhythm at the end zone differently than Roczen and then Roczen picked up on it later in the race.
hvaughn88
2/23/2016 8:11am
IWreckALot wrote:
There were corners that Dungey just simply picked a very slightly different line that helped him out. For example, Dungey's line was slightly outside of Roczen's...
There were corners that Dungey just simply picked a very slightly different line that helped him out. For example, Dungey's line was slightly outside of Roczen's the corner right after the over-under. And half of the race, Dungey was hitting the rhythm at the end zone differently than Roczen and then Roczen picked up on it later in the race.
Could you tell if the section coming out from under the bridge was faster when the guys tripled or when they kinda wheel-tapped the middle jump? I saw a lot of guys taking both lines and they looked pretty similar, except for when Pourcel did it. Pourcel was doing the wheel tap and it looked faster when he did it for some reason.
Flip109
2/23/2016 8:42am Edited Date/Time 2/23/2016 8:44am
and the team manager is quite the machinist, and has a notebook, somewhere, with measurements he has been writing down for many, many years. When the...

Interesting!

I had a 97 RM250 and 125 for a short period. The 250 was by far my favorite 250 smoker ever.
IWreckALot
2/23/2016 8:56am
IWreckALot wrote:
There were corners that Dungey just simply picked a very slightly different line that helped him out. For example, Dungey's line was slightly outside of Roczen's...
hvaughn88 wrote:
Could you tell if the section coming out from under the bridge was faster when the guys tripled or when they kinda wheel-tapped the middle jump...
Could you tell if the section coming out from under the bridge was faster when the guys tripled or when they kinda wheel-tapped the middle jump? I saw a lot of guys taking both lines and they looked pretty similar, except for when Pourcel did it. Pourcel was doing the wheel tap and it looked faster when he did it for some reason.
It was really close and not real consistent. There was one lap where Dungey didn't triple and Roczen did, and tripling bought Kenny a little gap it seemed. Even watching other riders in the heat races and main, the triple seemed to give riders the advantage.

In order to triple that jump, you had to hit the outside line after the over/under, which means it set you up for the inside of the huge bowl, which you needed to ride high on the bowl in order to make the triple. So it made the lines cross quite a bit between riders in that section. There was a pile up of 2 or 3 riders towards the end of the race that caused Dungey and Roczen to not be able to triple. I think that pile up was a result of lines getting crossed.

The section at the end zone that Dungey was tripling, there was literally a tiny section you could hit to clear the first single, to get the drive for the triple, so you had to get to the inside of that section.
cayman
2/23/2016 12:51pm
MBR wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/02/22/125003/s1200_image.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/02/22/125004/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

Remember this very well, I had the mods done by my Honda shop back then...
The first thing I thought about when I saw the "new" factory YZF swingarms...
WoodsRacer
Fantasy
2889th
2/23/2016 1:05pm
I found it odd how tight Dungey was going in a lot of corners.

This year The Dunge has been talking about roll speed, and most of the racerx articles and even the stuff by DV have said how he was going higher, carrying more speed and using less brake.

But them boom, Arlington happens and we see dungey trying to square up all the corners. Sure he was still blazing fast but it was messing up his drive and timing in some sections. Very un-dungeyish in my mind.

Post a reply to: diesel in the turns

The Latest