Works edition Honda “hand polished head”??

tek14
8/21/2019 9:51pm
Suzuki will say 2020 bikes have e-start without weight penalty.. and people will buy it! That is Honda half truth way to advertise.
VRR7
8/21/2019 11:26pm
Cylinder head: The GYTR cylinder head comes as a complete unit (with the valve train fully assembled). GYTR starts with a blank casting from the Japanese factory (same as the ones that would appear on a production bike). Then, instead of sending it to a craftsman to port by hand, they program a five-axis CNC machine with their well-tested digital specs. The machine does all the work (and the machine is at the Cosworth factory). This means that all GYTR heads are precisely the same. There are no variations. You don’t get a head that was ported on Friday afternoon by a grinder who wanted to go home.
VRR7
8/21/2019 11:39pm
kiwifan wrote:
lol funny guy, yes I race one and know how good it is so naturally I defend it, just like you would for your bike I...
lol funny guy, yes I race one and know how good it is so naturally I defend it, just like you would for your bike I am sure Smile

kb228 wrote:
Nobody here is knocking the bike itself. The problem lies with hondas advertisements. Does the GYTR head look like the honda? Does a ported head from...
Nobody here is knocking the bike itself. The problem lies with hondas advertisements.

Does the GYTR head look like the honda?
Does a ported head from an engine builder look like the honda?

No. Thats the problem. Not the bike itself.
Bnagazina wrote:
What was the price for the GYTR head. Something tells me that that head alone would eat into the $2,600 price difference. To get a stock...
What was the price for the GYTR head. Something tells me that that head alone would eat into the $2,600 price difference. To get a stock Honda to the level of the works edition would cost about the same, new rims, complete exhaust, special coatings on forks and shock. It adds up. To each their own

EDIT; just looked it up - GYTR. Head starts at $2,000 for normal folk like me! Seems we are comparing apples to oranges.
Remember the GYTR head includes the complete head ! For to compare apples you would have to Take the cost of a complete built Yamaha head and subtract that from the cost of the GYTR head to get an apples comparison.
The WE does not come with 2 heads.
kb228
8/22/2019 2:57am Edited Date/Time 8/22/2019 3:03am
kb228 wrote:
Nobody here is knocking the bike itself. The problem lies with hondas advertisements. Does the GYTR head look like the honda? Does a ported head from...
Nobody here is knocking the bike itself. The problem lies with hondas advertisements.

Does the GYTR head look like the honda?
Does a ported head from an engine builder look like the honda?

No. Thats the problem. Not the bike itself.
Bnagazina wrote:
What was the price for the GYTR head. Something tells me that that head alone would eat into the $2,600 price difference. To get a stock...
What was the price for the GYTR head. Something tells me that that head alone would eat into the $2,600 price difference. To get a stock Honda to the level of the works edition would cost about the same, new rims, complete exhaust, special coatings on forks and shock. It adds up. To each their own

EDIT; just looked it up - GYTR. Head starts at $2,000 for normal folk like me! Seems we are comparing apples to oranges.
VRR7 wrote:
Remember the GYTR head includes the complete head ! For to compare apples you would have to Take the cost of a complete built Yamaha head...
Remember the GYTR head includes the complete head ! For to compare apples you would have to Take the cost of a complete built Yamaha head and subtract that from the cost of the GYTR head to get an apples comparison.
Agreed.

Millennium technologies charges $450 for cnc porting. Assume a new stock head is $550.. you got a $1000 cylinder head.

Therefore, we can estimate that out of the $2600 extra cost for a WE, $450 of it is for that port job.

The math doesnt really add up. If we went through and subtracted the stock 450 parts and THEN added the upgraded wheels and exhaust, you still dont have an excuse for this crap port job

The Shop

PTshox
8/22/2019 2:22pm
Pretty sure a lot of Millennium technologies moto head porting designs were done by Ron Hamp. $450 for a cnc ported head to Ron's spec's is a good deal.
TeamGreen
8/22/2019 3:05pm
According to MXA, the difference between the WE and standard edition is "[i]mild milling of the valve pockets (it is neither porting nor polishing)[/i]" http://www.mxa-digital.com/motocrossaction/august_2019/MobilePagedArticle.action?articleId=1505549#articleId1505549 [img]https://images-cdn.dashdigital.com/motocrossaction/august_2019/data/articles/img/052-01.jpg[/img]
According to MXA, the difference between the WE and standard edition is "mild milling of the valve pockets (it is neither porting nor polishing)"

http://www.mxa-digital.com/motocrossaction/august_2019/MobilePagedArtic…

Yyyyup!

And here's how Honda says it on their web-site:

Then there’s the limited-production CRF450R Works Edition. The RWE gets all the improvements of the CRF450R plus a special hand-ported cylinder head, black DID DirtStar LT-X rims, a new, exclusive Yoshimura exhaust system with titanium header, titanium nitride-coated lower fork legs and shock shaft, an RK gold chain, special ECU settings, a factory-spec gripper seat, and more.

If that merely means they hand-matched pockets to the seats? So be it.

Me? I don't know if the listed goodies are worth the $2,600 difference between an R and a RWE; but, the Ti-Carbon Yosh pipe is $1,500 alone.
GPrider
8/22/2019 3:41pm
didn't read this whole thread, but will and always buy the best in the bizz, Honda! Don't give a shit about trivial stuff. Ride Red for life!
H4L
8/22/2019 4:23pm Edited Date/Time 8/22/2019 4:25pm
GPrider wrote:
didn't read this whole thread, but will and always buy the best in the bizz, Honda! Don't give a shit about trivial stuff. Ride Red for...
didn't read this whole thread, but will and always buy the best in the bizz, Honda! Don't give a shit about trivial stuff. Ride Red for life!
"best in the bizz"

Yep agree 100%. That's why the red bike always gets the most negativity surrounding their threads...

kiwifan
8/22/2019 4:49pm
Bnagazina wrote:

VRR7 wrote:
Remember the GYTR head includes the complete head ! For to compare apples you would have to Take the cost of a complete built Yamaha head...
kb228 wrote:
Agreed. Millennium technologies charges $450 for cnc porting. Assume a new stock head is $550.. you got a $1000 cylinder head. Therefore, we can estimate that...
Agreed.

Millennium technologies charges $450 for cnc porting. Assume a new stock head is $550.. you got a $1000 cylinder head.

Therefore, we can estimate that out of the $2600 extra cost for a WE, $450 of it is for that port job.

The math doesnt really add up. If we went through and subtracted the stock 450 parts and THEN added the upgraded wheels and exhaust, you still dont have an excuse for this crap port job
Actually the maths does add up, add in the stuff you didnt mention like the cost to coat the forks legs plus the shock shaft, the gripper seat, the graphics package, ECU upgrades plus the RK gold chain then I am sure that more than covers the additional cost Smile Good value for money.

Anyways, I think we all agree that perhaps the marketing could be a little better.

Post a reply to: Works edition Honda “hand polished head”??

The Latest