What does a factory bike cost?

Rs444
9/17/2018 3:51pm
matt.3150 wrote:
First of all I own a machine shop that makes some parts for the factory teams, secondly, the HRC pegs are 100% machined out of a...
First of all I own a machine shop that makes some parts for the factory teams, secondly, the HRC pegs are 100% machined out of a solid block of titanium 6-4. These other company are making them out of sheetmetal.It totally not the same thing. Its fine you don't have to believe me, I really could care less, It sound to me that you have exactly 0 knowledge of manufacturing and your just taking a guessing at it based on some company selling something that might look similar. I on the other hand, own a machine shop that employee about 20 people and have owned it for 25 years. I have been racing since I was 6 years old and I am now 46 years old. On top of that I have done work for the factory teams for about 10 years. But don't take my word. Lastly you can't buy the 52mm factory fork or other factory parts from the factory teams. Either someone stole the part or a set was given to a factory rider and he sold them or gave them away....
Cool. I have quite the same background with 4 years of industrial education through college (welding/cnc operator) and worked as a mechanic for one of northern europes biggest metal recycling plants processing hundreds of thousands of tons of metal every year and buiding different processing machines from scratch so you can take the thing you said about not knowing about manufacturing away from this..

The thing is that you r right, you cant buy 52mm forks and some other stuf i said it myself in my comment, but you can buy oem 48 or 50mm forks from ktm with the same stuff in them.

I said that we should play with the thought about what the cost would be of we were to build something on that level. I know some teams ride billet footpegs but i myself have seen plenty of tig welded pegs on european factory bikes and i know for a fact that the pegs on the 24mx honda team that you can buy from 24mx are tig welded ones as well and both you and me know that tig welded titanium pegs welded by a serious welder wont break any easier than billet ones, you would probably break the mounts of first.
matt.3150
9/17/2018 4:03pm
I think I'm responding to a different people, The titanium cost anywhere from $100-$150 for each piece. The shaving really aren't worth much. On the footpegs you have to run the job on a very expensive 5 axis machine tool. The one I have is exactly the same as what Honda uses. Its a Makino D500 which is around a $1 million dollars. The operator costs about $30-$40 an hour. There are 2 setups that will take a day each to due, so say 8 hours each. Then the run time is around 18-20 hours each on the first op, the second op is about 10-12 hours. So just in machine time we are talking about 30 hours plus to run and 16 hours to set it up. Now that is for 1 footpeg! So double that. Now the cost of a machine tool you better be getting minimum of $150 hour to cover the its cost. So know we are 32 hours set up and 60 hours of run time. multi ply that by $150. So your set up cost you $4800 and the run time cost you $9000. Now you can start seeing why these things are expensive. You now need peg mounts too! This doesn't cover any engineering cost which are even hirer that the machining cost. Honda has to pay allot of people that work in R&D and they have to cover there cost oh I forgot the programming costs. That's a good week of time. I have made some footpegs same design but I didn't go crazy on the 3d contour cuts. The HRC's pegs are really a piece of art, its all 3d contours which takes allot more time. If I have time I will put up a picture of each one, mine and a HRC one in the same picture.
matt.3150
9/17/2018 4:56pm
Rs444 your comparing your 4 years at school as a cnc operator/ welder to my 30 years as a manufacturing engineer. A cnc operator is an entree level position in any and all machine shop, they load a piece of material
Into a cnc machine and push start. When it’s done you unload it. Anyone can do that, it requires zero experience. There is nothing I can’t make with any machine tool. I have been programming for 25 years. I have made parts that are in outspace, in the human body, I make parts for the military, in nuclear reactors, along with F1 cars and Factory dirt bikes. I’m am sorry we don’t have the same background. Sorry to give you a hard time, there is nothing that is correct with anything your saying.. the WP 52mm are really completely different than the 48mm. Just because they look similar there not and they can’t be run at the same time as the 48mm one. There is a huge different between making 50 sets of forks than making 500 set or a 1000 sets. Cost a lot more. Lastly, welding titanium is actually one of the easier materials to weld it flows really really nicely, but it need to be done in a argon atmosphere. Which is really no big deal. I never said there were not teams that use welded pegs, there are lots because of the costs are allot cheaper But all Factory Honda bikes have the billet titanium footpegs that I am talking about that cost so much. So Macfly you need to quit talking like you know something about manufacturing, you don’t!!!!!

The Shop

langhammx
Fantasy
589th
9/17/2018 5:24pm
Rs444 wrote:
Man i dont know what the f is wrong with some ppl in here ?. "5k for titanium pegs" man its not fucking gold or platinum...
Man i dont know what the f is wrong with some ppl in here ?. "5k for titanium pegs" man its not fucking gold or platinum, its a fucking industrial metal.. you can buy the exact same titanium footpegs like the 24mx honda team use for 150 dollars from 24mx.se (for a ktm 150) scar titanium footpegs for most other brands off motoaction.se for like 350 bucks , a complete titanium bolt kit for 3-400 bucks through a bolt manufacturer. Ppl talking about thousands of dollars for ti parts are waaay off...

In reality the big cost of the factory bikes is designing and developing them and most parts that the bike manufacturer does not supply the teams with are completly free for the factory teams through sponsorship like suspension, sprockets, pistons, tires etc. But lets play with the tought that me or you would like to build lets say a ktm 450 factory bike and lets calculate the cost. The short answer is it wouldnt cost a dime because there is so many things none of us would be able to buy like 52mm wp forks or factory tires but lets say we wanted to build something similar on the same level then!?. With a bike, head porting, new ecu + mapping on a dyno, ti bolts/pegs, lets say complete öhlins factory level fork n suspension, factory like clamps and some carbonfiber details it would set you back around 20-25k and that is a bit high calculated depending on what the cost of the öhlins suspension would be but im guessing around 6-8k for their best stuff that easily could compete with any factory suspension out there.

If we were talking about a competetive gp bike and there was changing of frame and swing dimensions involved and alternating bore and stroke and so on it would cost way more tho.

Ofc dudes like payton talks about 60-100k per bike but that is with having 5 mechanincs working full time building it, developing pipes etc etc, spare parts etc but the raw cost for the bike without any spare parts or mechanics or development involved wouldnt cost you even close to that.
Please post your complete Ti bolt kit for $300-$400.

You’re not even close.... FYI
langhammx
Fantasy
589th
9/17/2018 5:36pm
Typical write up without the correct info.

1. TITANIUM HARDWARE
189 bolts
axels
$2,000
** MORE LIKE $5000+
(Axles and swing arm pivot alone are $1000+)

2. SPECIAL RACING PARTS
exhaust pipe
triple clamps
brake levers
clutch lever
hubs
$2,000
** MORE LIKE $5000+
(Factory clamps and hubs alone are easily $3000)

6. MAGNESIUM DISC BRAKES
$400
** MORE LIKE $1500+
9/17/2018 5:36pm
matt.3150 wrote:
I think I'm responding to a different people, The titanium cost anywhere from $100-$150 for each piece. The shaving really aren't worth much. On the footpegs...
I think I'm responding to a different people, The titanium cost anywhere from $100-$150 for each piece. The shaving really aren't worth much. On the footpegs you have to run the job on a very expensive 5 axis machine tool. The one I have is exactly the same as what Honda uses. Its a Makino D500 which is around a $1 million dollars. The operator costs about $30-$40 an hour. There are 2 setups that will take a day each to due, so say 8 hours each. Then the run time is around 18-20 hours each on the first op, the second op is about 10-12 hours. So just in machine time we are talking about 30 hours plus to run and 16 hours to set it up. Now that is for 1 footpeg! So double that. Now the cost of a machine tool you better be getting minimum of $150 hour to cover the its cost. So know we are 32 hours set up and 60 hours of run time. multi ply that by $150. So your set up cost you $4800 and the run time cost you $9000. Now you can start seeing why these things are expensive. You now need peg mounts too! This doesn't cover any engineering cost which are even hirer that the machining cost. Honda has to pay allot of people that work in R&D and they have to cover there cost oh I forgot the programming costs. That's a good week of time. I have made some footpegs same design but I didn't go crazy on the 3d contour cuts. The HRC's pegs are really a piece of art, its all 3d contours which takes allot more time. If I have time I will put up a picture of each one, mine and a HRC one in the same picture.
Thanks for you expert insight and perspective Matt.

I would however like to play devils advocate on the cost. I know it’s not the same thing as factory Honda parts, but the Nihilo billet TI set seems legit and they only run $800/set. How can they do it so cheap? Mass runs with minimal set up? The math seems fuzzy to me with all the costs involved.

https://youtu.be/wWIYLq6WtWo
Tryhard
9/17/2018 5:38pm
matt.3150 wrote:
Rs444 your comparing your 4 years at school as a cnc operator/ welder to my 30 years as a manufacturing engineer. A cnc operator is an...
Rs444 your comparing your 4 years at school as a cnc operator/ welder to my 30 years as a manufacturing engineer. A cnc operator is an entree level position in any and all machine shop, they load a piece of material
Into a cnc machine and push start. When it’s done you unload it. Anyone can do that, it requires zero experience. There is nothing I can’t make with any machine tool. I have been programming for 25 years. I have made parts that are in outspace, in the human body, I make parts for the military, in nuclear reactors, along with F1 cars and Factory dirt bikes. I’m am sorry we don’t have the same background. Sorry to give you a hard time, there is nothing that is correct with anything your saying.. the WP 52mm are really completely different than the 48mm. Just because they look similar there not and they can’t be run at the same time as the 48mm one. There is a huge different between making 50 sets of forks than making 500 set or a 1000 sets. Cost a lot more. Lastly, welding titanium is actually one of the easier materials to weld it flows really really nicely, but it need to be done in a argon atmosphere. Which is really no big deal. I never said there were not teams that use welded pegs, there are lots because of the costs are allot cheaper But all Factory Honda bikes have the billet titanium footpegs that I am talking about that cost so much. So Macfly you need to quit talking like you know something about manufacturing, you don’t!!!!!
For once , I read a post with someone who actually knows what goes into writing , "g codes" and using "auto CAD" who is actually working in the job shop to make these 1 off billet pieces give an actual statement as to t he work that goes into this stuff. Its alot , and if you want real bullet pieces , especially titanium it costs alot. I have about 8 years experience , welding , machining , writing code for CNc, and manual machining the correct way . I run and set up a program for anything from a Bridgeport with auto feed programs , to something our 20 ft by 20 ft leblond makino from the 80s and write the g code from that . Everythi ng your speaki ng is the truth. Thanks man
Rs444
9/18/2018 1:57am
matt.3150 wrote:
Rs444 your comparing your 4 years at school as a cnc operator/ welder to my 30 years as a manufacturing engineer. A cnc operator is an...
I Think you missed the part when i said i was a mechanic for one of northern europes biggest metal recycling companies for 5 years after that fabricating huge machines and conveyors and metal balers from scratch and processing more metal than most ppl have seen in their lives. i also Think you should take in the fact that scandinavians are know throughout the world as some of the best welders and fabricators in to your calculation about how our colleges work here its not anything like your type of college here its 80% practical with mandatory internships to get different welding licenses and so on because everything you do here with a machine require you to have different licenses unlike most other parts of europe so in reality its 9 years of working with it. On top of that im working on street race cars , building choppers and working on some friends dragbikes on my spare time too but hey you win the dick measurement competition, but dont for a second fool yourself that im not knowing anything about fabrication. I think that our different experiences more is based on that there are different operatipncosts in the us compared to here.

And i know perfectly well how it is to weld titanium and to say easy in the same sentence as argon atmosphere sounds a bit odd. However with all of this being said lets go back to what we talked about - the cost of ti footpegs and you know as well as i do that the pegs themself wouldnt cost anything near 5k to manufacture. Sure if you take in the work of designing, programming and operationcost the price would be high but after that no way near.
Rs444
9/18/2018 2:23am Edited Date/Time 9/18/2018 2:25am
Rs444 wrote:
Man i dont know what the f is wrong with some ppl in here ?. "5k for titanium pegs" man its not fucking gold or platinum...
Man i dont know what the f is wrong with some ppl in here ?. "5k for titanium pegs" man its not fucking gold or platinum, its a fucking industrial metal.. you can buy the exact same titanium footpegs like the 24mx honda team use for 150 dollars from 24mx.se (for a ktm 150) scar titanium footpegs for most other brands off motoaction.se for like 350 bucks , a complete titanium bolt kit for 3-400 bucks through a bolt manufacturer. Ppl talking about thousands of dollars for ti parts are waaay off...

In reality the big cost of the factory bikes is designing and developing them and most parts that the bike manufacturer does not supply the teams with are completly free for the factory teams through sponsorship like suspension, sprockets, pistons, tires etc. But lets play with the tought that me or you would like to build lets say a ktm 450 factory bike and lets calculate the cost. The short answer is it wouldnt cost a dime because there is so many things none of us would be able to buy like 52mm wp forks or factory tires but lets say we wanted to build something similar on the same level then!?. With a bike, head porting, new ecu + mapping on a dyno, ti bolts/pegs, lets say complete öhlins factory level fork n suspension, factory like clamps and some carbonfiber details it would set you back around 20-25k and that is a bit high calculated depending on what the cost of the öhlins suspension would be but im guessing around 6-8k for their best stuff that easily could compete with any factory suspension out there.

If we were talking about a competetive gp bike and there was changing of frame and swing dimensions involved and alternating bore and stroke and so on it would cost way more tho.

Ofc dudes like payton talks about 60-100k per bike but that is with having 5 mechanincs working full time building it, developing pipes etc etc, spare parts etc but the raw cost for the bike without any spare parts or mechanics or development involved wouldnt cost you even close to that.
langhammx wrote:
Please post your complete Ti bolt kit for $300-$400.

You’re not even close.... FYI
Checked the local aston carlsson place here. For example a pack with 6 pieces of m10 hollow drilled bolts with nuts in titanium 180 swedish crowns its like 19- 20 dollars. M12 was about 2 bucks more, m8 - m6 1-2 dollars cheaper. A pack of 8 m10 without nuts and a bit shorter was 17 dollars and lets say you would need around 190 bolts, that would set you back around 400 bucks. Probably 300 with smaller bolts like m8 m6 being cheaper and the fact that you will get a discount buying that many and you get a ca 30% refund on the taxes for them if i still owned a Company so just with the 30% refund they would be around 270 bucks if all the bolts were 400 combined.

The difference when you buy from a middleman like an mx shop is that everyone in the line wants to make money as we all know and they make at least 4-6x the money on most of the products you buy from them, otherwise they would not have money enough to buy in new stuff, pay employees etc etc and you yourself have the option to go to a bolt manufacturer or a store who supplies workers and industrial companies and buy it much cheaper. Sure u wont have the official already assembled bolt kit but if you know what bolts you need its the exact same thing. The only thing i would have to make myself would be axles but to be fair you wont get them in factory bolt kits you can buy from a store either as far as i know.
9/18/2018 3:50am Edited Date/Time 9/18/2018 5:45am
Rs444 wrote:
Checked the local aston carlsson place here. For example a pack with 6 pieces of m10 hollow drilled bolts with nuts in titanium 180 swedish crowns...
Checked the local aston carlsson place here. For example a pack with 6 pieces of m10 hollow drilled bolts with nuts in titanium 180 swedish crowns its like 19- 20 dollars. M12 was about 2 bucks more, m8 - m6 1-2 dollars cheaper. A pack of 8 m10 without nuts and a bit shorter was 17 dollars and lets say you would need around 190 bolts, that would set you back around 400 bucks. Probably 300 with smaller bolts like m8 m6 being cheaper and the fact that you will get a discount buying that many and you get a ca 30% refund on the taxes for them if i still owned a Company so just with the 30% refund they would be around 270 bucks if all the bolts were 400 combined.

The difference when you buy from a middleman like an mx shop is that everyone in the line wants to make money as we all know and they make at least 4-6x the money on most of the products you buy from them, otherwise they would not have money enough to buy in new stuff, pay employees etc etc and you yourself have the option to go to a bolt manufacturer or a store who supplies workers and industrial companies and buy it much cheaper. Sure u wont have the official already assembled bolt kit but if you know what bolts you need its the exact same thing. The only thing i would have to make myself would be axles but to be fair you wont get them in factory bolt kits you can buy from a store either as far as i know.
Mannen. Skärp dig och sluta drömma Huh

Please,get me a COMPLETE ti-bolt kit for my 2001 cr 125, I already bought almost a complete kit,but when you hook me up with a 400 $ complete kit,I'll buy one more, you know what im down for 2 sets.

Get your head our of the ass.

Oh and btw, you can buy all axles, I have got them all,even that statement of yours are wrong.

Oh and Edit 2: i have bought my stuff bolt by bolt from a manufacturer. Not a boltkit.
9/18/2018 5:33am
Katoomey wrote:
I heard from a source that knows a guy who's related to a mechanic's wife and he said they could be as much as eleventy billion...
I heard from a source that knows a guy who's related to a mechanic's wife and he said they could be as much as eleventy billion.

then again I've heard as little as 25 schmeckles. so who knows...
Fearo
9/18/2018 5:47am
Are we talking US spec factory bikes or true 'works' bikes?

I'll never forget reading an article in a European magazine that tested Stefan Everts HRC Honda 250 in 1997 and they said the motor alone was worth about 250k euros (well,10 million Belgian Francs). And that is over 20 years ago.
make1go
9/18/2018 5:54am
im gonna say that unless youre a bean counter at a oem and specifically tasked with calculating the cost of 1 full works bike then its all speculation, some informed some not...

ga_pike
9/18/2018 10:01am
But but but... Factory Edition 450 from KTM??? That's a "factory" bike and costs $10,599. The KTM website says it's race ready and the same as what the factory guys ride!!
Rs444
9/18/2018 11:25am Edited Date/Time 9/18/2018 11:48am
Rs444 wrote:
Checked the local aston carlsson place here. For example a pack with 6 pieces of m10 hollow drilled bolts with nuts in titanium 180 swedish crowns...

Mannen. Skärp dig och sluta drömma :huh: Please,get me a COMPLETE ti-bolt kit for my 2001 cr 125, I already bought almost a complete kit,but when...

Please,get me a COMPLETE ti-bolt kit for my 2001 cr 125, I already bought almost a complete kit,but when you hook me up with a 400 $ complete kit,I'll buy one more, you know what im down for 2 sets.

Oh and btw, you can buy all axles, I have got them all,even that statement of yours are wrong.

Oh and Edit 2: i have bought my stuff bolt by bolt from a manufacturer. Not a boltkit.
Grattis du har gjort en sjukt dålig affär och borde köpt från grossist istället ^^. Tips nästa gång, åk till flera olika seriösa grossistshopar där smeder handlar o fråga dom. Ring inte , kolla inte Internet utan åk dit så ska du få se att du får jävligt bra priser efter lite snack. Har du dessutom f-skatt så försvinner ju momsen Wink . Här är ett exempel på bad du kan hitta titanskruvar för i vårat hemland, vad sägs om 122st blandade i olika längder m3-m5 för 1000:-!?. O det är bara ett exempel..

Jävligt nyfiken på vilken tillverkare du köpt ifrån iom att du säger att du köpt från tillverkare?. Tråkigt nog så är ju olika företag rätt duktiga på att ta olika pris för samma vara..
Dessutom så jag aldrig att du inte kan köpa axlar, jag skrev att det enda jag inte kan köpa från grossisten är axlar ^^.

For you other guys i took this as an example for him after i told him that he should have looked a bit more. Keep in mind that this is not the place i went to, this is just an example. 122 pieces of mixed m5-m3 ti screws in different lengths 999 sek - about 90 dollars. Sure most are small so i checked m10 ti bolts too and even found them cheap online (usually more expensive then going to a specialised store here) 110mm long m10 bolts were around 9 bucks a pop if i just bought 1..

9/19/2018 7:08pm
Back in the 90's we had some factory swing arms delivered to my team that the previous team manager had ordered. 6x swing arms showed up...
Back in the 90's we had some factory swing arms delivered to my team that the previous team manager had ordered.
6x swing arms showed up with price tag of $15,000 each. I freaked out and asked my Japanese boss to find out how the hell they could be that much. He came back with the answer that the price was determined by how long it took for the guys to make them. The division that produced them had 3 guys working on them for 4 weeks and that was what the wages materials and overheads for that department was including rent per square meter machinery leases. ....we did a lot more in house from then on...when you hear the $150,000 forks and such that's the math in play might be a bunch of engineers, machinist, test riders, and mechanics worked on there development for a year and they divided the cost by the 20 sets of forks they made and theirs your price!
I don't think people these days grasp that workers earn money???
And when you expect something at "cost" of manufacturing - you need to factor in a HUGE host of variables

It's 100 dollar bill every day, 7 days a week to have my shop. That's not much - I don't have much. But that's just the mortgage payment,, taxes on the space, general upkeep, electricity, internet, water, etc.
Then when we are working - you have your employees - busy or not they cost money!
Now add in the cost average price of testing equipment, tooling, machining equipment, etc...
Probably another 50 a day - never even wanted to know it's so depressing.

So if I were to do something "free" - and not take payment for myself - it's still going to be 100's per day.

And in a factory race effort - these workers are both: valuable BEYOND their paycheck - or they wouldnt be hired
and are
still really pricey - they are really talented!

So how they broke down that price on your swingarm - should make perfect sense to anyone asking why they cost so much.
Fast forward to today - where it's all 3d modelled on software that probably costs honda 100's of thousands a year per seat for the whole company (stupid pricey at high level)
Then the engineer who oversees the design of it - the cad guy who models out the engineer's wishes
The manufacturering side - all the machines, employees, space of shop, taxes required to be payed, electricity, etc.
They probably have some standard of durability - even on works parts for safety - so some form of testing - outside of the software testing - that a really expensive employee is knowledgeable about...

A simple clamp that has gone through this process - could be 2 months of honda's time - while they foot the bill for all their facility and staff - only to have it be a POS and a whole new clamp designed!

Now - just think - the PRODUCTION department is JUST AS COOL - and smart.
They just have different requirements.

langhammx
Fantasy
589th
9/20/2018 7:48am
Rs444 wrote:

Mannen. Skärp dig och sluta drömma :huh: Please,get me a COMPLETE ti-bolt kit for my 2001 cr 125, I already bought almost a complete kit,but when...

Rs444 wrote:
Grattis du har gjort en sjukt dålig affär och borde köpt från grossist istället ^^. Tips nästa gång, åk till flera olika seriösa grossistshopar där smeder...
Grattis du har gjort en sjukt dålig affär och borde köpt från grossist istället ^^. Tips nästa gång, åk till flera olika seriösa grossistshopar där smeder handlar o fråga dom. Ring inte , kolla inte Internet utan åk dit så ska du få se att du får jävligt bra priser efter lite snack. Har du dessutom f-skatt så försvinner ju momsen Wink . Här är ett exempel på bad du kan hitta titanskruvar för i vårat hemland, vad sägs om 122st blandade i olika längder m3-m5 för 1000:-!?. O det är bara ett exempel..

Jävligt nyfiken på vilken tillverkare du köpt ifrån iom att du säger att du köpt från tillverkare?. Tråkigt nog så är ju olika företag rätt duktiga på att ta olika pris för samma vara..
Dessutom så jag aldrig att du inte kan köpa axlar, jag skrev att det enda jag inte kan köpa från grossisten är axlar ^^.

For you other guys i took this as an example for him after i told him that he should have looked a bit more. Keep in mind that this is not the place i went to, this is just an example. 122 pieces of mixed m5-m3 ti screws in different lengths 999 sek - about 90 dollars. Sure most are small so i checked m10 ti bolts too and even found them cheap online (usually more expensive then going to a specialised store here) 110mm long m10 bolts were around 9 bucks a pop if i just bought 1..

Lol
You can’t be serious.. you posted a link for pan head bolts that do not belong on a dirt bike. Feel free to post a link for bolts that actually fit...
I’ve built many bikes with Full Ti kits. (Have 4 currently) I’ve never bought a “kit” and have always pieced them together. I’ve sourced the bolts from several different vendors and think I’ve figured out the best prices. But hey, sounds like you got it all figured out. lol
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
872nd
9/20/2018 8:06am
zac_k3 wrote:
langhammx wrote:
Typical write up without the correct info. 1. TITANIUM HARDWARE 189 bolts axels $2,000 ** MORE LIKE $5000+ (Axles and swing arm pivot alone are $1000+)...

1. TITANIUM HARDWARE
189 bolts
axels
$2,000
** MORE LIKE $5000+

2. SPECIAL RACING PARTS
exhaust pipe
triple clamps
brake levers
clutch lever
hubs
$2,000
** MORE LIKE $5000+

6. MAGNESIUM DISC BRAKES
$400
** MORE LIKE $1500+
I remember talking to Bob Lyon one day back in 09 or10 and he was telling me how each axle for Jake cost him $1500.
MR. X
9/20/2018 8:36am
matt.3150 wrote:
I think I'm responding to a different people, The titanium cost anywhere from $100-$150 for each piece. The shaving really aren't worth much. On the footpegs...
I'd sure like to watch an 8 hour set up on a CNC mill.
langhammx
Fantasy
589th
9/20/2018 8:46am
zac_k3 wrote:
langhammx wrote:
Typical write up without the correct info. 1. TITANIUM HARDWARE 189 bolts axels $2,000 ** MORE LIKE $5000+ (Axles and swing arm pivot alone are $1000+)...

1. TITANIUM HARDWARE
189 bolts
axels
$2,000
** MORE LIKE $5000+

2. SPECIAL RACING PARTS
exhaust pipe
triple clamps
brake levers
clutch lever
hubs
$2,000
** MORE LIKE $5000+

6. MAGNESIUM DISC BRAKES
$400
** MORE LIKE $1500+
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I remember talking to Bob Lyon one day back in 09 or10 and he was telling me how each axle for Jake cost him $1500.
Bob exaggerates, but both axles and swing arm pivot is $1000+ from Race Tech Titanium and about $1500+ from Met Tec Titanium.

RichieW13
Fantasy
2933rd
9/20/2018 9:39am
If a race team spends $1,000 for an axle, will they re-use that axle on their bikes the following season (assuming the axle will fit on the newer models)?
matt.3150
9/20/2018 12:38pm
Back in the 90's we had some factory swing arms delivered to my team that the previous team manager had ordered. 6x swing arms showed up...
Back in the 90's we had some factory swing arms delivered to my team that the previous team manager had ordered.
6x swing arms showed up with price tag of $15,000 each. I freaked out and asked my Japanese boss to find out how the hell they could be that much. He came back with the answer that the price was determined by how long it took for the guys to make them. The division that produced them had 3 guys working on them for 4 weeks and that was what the wages materials and overheads for that department was including rent per square meter machinery leases. ....we did a lot more in house from then on...when you hear the $150,000 forks and such that's the math in play might be a bunch of engineers, machinist, test riders, and mechanics worked on there development for a year and they divided the cost by the 20 sets of forks they made and theirs your price!
I don't think people these days grasp that workers earn money??? And when you expect something at "cost" of manufacturing - you need to factor in...
I don't think people these days grasp that workers earn money???
And when you expect something at "cost" of manufacturing - you need to factor in a HUGE host of variables

It's 100 dollar bill every day, 7 days a week to have my shop. That's not much - I don't have much. But that's just the mortgage payment,, taxes on the space, general upkeep, electricity, internet, water, etc.
Then when we are working - you have your employees - busy or not they cost money!
Now add in the cost average price of testing equipment, tooling, machining equipment, etc...
Probably another 50 a day - never even wanted to know it's so depressing.

So if I were to do something "free" - and not take payment for myself - it's still going to be 100's per day.

And in a factory race effort - these workers are both: valuable BEYOND their paycheck - or they wouldnt be hired
and are
still really pricey - they are really talented!

So how they broke down that price on your swingarm - should make perfect sense to anyone asking why they cost so much.
Fast forward to today - where it's all 3d modelled on software that probably costs honda 100's of thousands a year per seat for the whole company (stupid pricey at high level)
Then the engineer who oversees the design of it - the cad guy who models out the engineer's wishes
The manufacturering side - all the machines, employees, space of shop, taxes required to be payed, electricity, etc.
They probably have some standard of durability - even on works parts for safety - so some form of testing - outside of the software testing - that a really expensive employee is knowledgeable about...

A simple clamp that has gone through this process - could be 2 months of honda's time - while they foot the bill for all their facility and staff - only to have it be a POS and a whole new clamp designed!

Now - just think - the PRODUCTION department is JUST AS COOL - and smart.
They just have different requirements.

Your absolutely right on what your saying, and Inwas saying the same thing before.
matt.3150
9/20/2018 12:49pm
RichieW13 wrote:
If a race team spends $1,000 for an axle, will they re-use that axle on their bikes the following season (assuming the axle will fit on...
If a race team spends $1,000 for an axle, will they re-use that axle on their bikes the following season (assuming the axle will fit on the newer models)?
They might reuse some of the parts on practice bike, but usually these parts have a shelf life. This is another reason why the factories don’t like there Works parts being used by the public, if something where to break there is a huge liability for the factory. Also when you think about it, if one of There riders breaks an axle and gets hurt, the Factory is now out till he is ok again. So it’s not really worth it to the Factory teams to reuse these Works parts. Frames are changed out every few races even if it still with in the factory specs. All the titanium hardware is inspected every race and if there is any sign of wear they are replaced. It’s not about the money to these teams it’s about not breaking down or having issues.
langhammx
Fantasy
589th
9/20/2018 12:53pm
RichieW13 wrote:
If a race team spends $1,000 for an axle, will they re-use that axle on their bikes the following season (assuming the axle will fit on...
Titanium axles, swing arm pivot and linkage bolts take a beating. They do not last like Steel, so they are replaced “as needed”. I don’t think they even last a season, let alone reusing them for a 2nd season.
matt.3150
9/20/2018 1:00pm
matt.3150 wrote:
MR. X wrote:
About the 8 hour set up on a CNC mill, I don’t know if your being sarcastic or you really want to see the set up. Set up take more time on a 5 axis mill then they do a 3 axis vertical mill. It takes time to get all your tools together and put in tool holders, get them in the machine and touched off. Also with a 5 axis you try to get as much done on a part as you can. So that usually requires making some kind of fixture to hold the material so you can reach the part at all the different angle. And you have to make sure that nothing is going to hit the spindle, table, fixture, tooling or part. So if the part would take you 10 hours to run ones it’s up and running, well it’s probably going to take twice that during a set up to make sure your not going to crash you machine. Then once it’s all proved out
Then you need to inspect the part to make sure your tooling is cutting everything to spec. So if anyone wants to see some pictures of any of it, I could put some up.
MR. X
9/20/2018 1:26pm
matt.3150 wrote:
MR. X wrote:
matt.3150 wrote:
About the 8 hour set up on a CNC mill, I don’t know if your being sarcastic or you really want to see the set up...
About the 8 hour set up on a CNC mill, I don’t know if your being sarcastic or you really want to see the set up. Set up take more time on a 5 axis mill then they do a 3 axis vertical mill. It takes time to get all your tools together and put in tool holders, get them in the machine and touched off. Also with a 5 axis you try to get as much done on a part as you can. So that usually requires making some kind of fixture to hold the material so you can reach the part at all the different angle. And you have to make sure that nothing is going to hit the spindle, table, fixture, tooling or part. So if the part would take you 10 hours to run ones it’s up and running, well it’s probably going to take twice that during a set up to make sure your not going to crash you machine. Then once it’s all proved out
Then you need to inspect the part to make sure your tooling is cutting everything to spec. So if anyone wants to see some pictures of any of it, I could put some up.
I'd honestly like to check it out . All the tooling and R and D stuff i've built (injection molds and dynamic sensors) , I never needed a 5 axis. I've always been curious ,it's the only piece of equipment i don't have any time on.
mx_phreek
Fantasy
164th
9/20/2018 2:25pm
Yea i would like to see some of the stuff you made too.
Helda
9/20/2018 2:45pm
matt.3150 wrote:
MR. X wrote:
matt.3150 wrote:
About the 8 hour set up on a CNC mill, I don’t know if your being sarcastic or you really want to see the set up...
I would would like to see it also! Do you do the first one out of billet alloy or something then measure it all up then if it's ok put the titanium in?
9/20/2018 2:52pm
RandyS wrote:
I was looking at the mud pictures and wondering what it would cost if the factories just threw those bikes away and built an exact replica...
I was looking at the mud pictures and wondering what it would cost if the factories just threw those bikes away and built an exact replica. Not how much do they spend developing the bikes but lets say Monday morning after Seattle they said "let's build a brand new bike for Vegas". This would be assuming they made every custom part including suspension. $15,000, $20,000, $25,000??? I would guess $20,000 range, maybe I'm way off but once the CNC programming is done it's pretty cheap considering to reproduce.
I dont think you were trolling, but you sure got some people fired up. I have the range between $0 and $100,000,000 so far. Cool Good luck interpreting things.

Post a reply to: What does a factory bike cost?

The Latest