WP 6500 Spring Conversion first ride.

katoom350
Edited Date/Time 10/5/2022 6:02am
Bought a Gas Gas ex350f and sent the suspension to Factory Connection right away. I do have experience with the AER fork on my last 2 bikes to compare to. One of those had FC’s setup on it with their performance kit/revalve.
I told them I ride 30B moto and 30A off-road and rode moto about 70% of the time. They also did the bladder kit, spring for my weight, and revalve for the shock. I bolted it right up and didn’t touch any clickers today.
First off, it corners so much better. Gone is chasing that feeling of the front end wanting to push. It settles perfectly now and tracks through ruts with ease. It’s going to take some time to adjust to. It allows you to charge into corners so much faster because it’ll just settle right in with no fuss. On the air stuff, I found I had to brake hard to load the front end and stay on the front brake to keep it in a rut, even still, it always felt like it was going to push out from under me. The spring kit eliminates all of that.
It handles chop better than air. Tracks straight, remains high enough in the stroke, and is really plush. I really felt no harshness at all today.
I also had a chance to ride it off-road. The trails were rooty, slick, rutted. I am amazed by how plush it was in this stuff as well. So much better than the air. It swallowed up all the trail junk and allowed me to push without it deflecting or feeling harsh at all.
Really amazing how versatile this stuff was and how well it handled both disciplines. I’d feel absolutely comfortable racing a GNCC and then the next weekend racing moto on this stuff.
Again, it’ll take some time to get used to it…in a good way. It just does everything better than air, learning to trust it and undo all those things I had to do when riding air. Hats off to WP for the kit and FC for the setup. Knocked it out of the park in a big way.
|
fanger
6/25/2022 6:27pm
The air forks are horrible, my advice is buy from a manufacturer that doesn't sell a bike with garbage suspension.

Unfortunately I bought a ktm, so it's good to know the inserts are a solution. Now to work out if I'm better off selling my bike and getting a Yamaha or spending the coin on inserts.
6/25/2022 6:52pm
fanger wrote:
The air forks are horrible, my advice is buy from a manufacturer that doesn't sell a bike with garbage suspension. Unfortunately I bought a ktm, so...
The air forks are horrible, my advice is buy from a manufacturer that doesn't sell a bike with garbage suspension.

Unfortunately I bought a ktm, so it's good to know the inserts are a solution. Now to work out if I'm better off selling my bike and getting a Yamaha or spending the coin on inserts.
I can afford to fix the forks and once you do it's an amazing bike
fanger
6/25/2022 7:09pm
fanger wrote:
The air forks are horrible, my advice is buy from a manufacturer that doesn't sell a bike with garbage suspension. Unfortunately I bought a ktm, so...

I can afford to fix the forks and once you do it's an amazing bike
Thing is you shouldn't have to spend the money to upgrade the forks. Ready to race or ready to replace?

The Shop

adams189
6/25/2022 9:43pm
katoom350 wrote:
Bought a Gas Gas ex350f and sent the suspension to Factory Connection right away. I do have experience with the AER fork on my last 2...
Bought a Gas Gas ex350f and sent the suspension to Factory Connection right away. I do have experience with the AER fork on my last 2 bikes to compare to. One of those had FC’s setup on it with their performance kit/revalve.
I told them I ride 30B moto and 30A off-road and rode moto about 70% of the time. They also did the bladder kit, spring for my weight, and revalve for the shock. I bolted it right up and didn’t touch any clickers today.
First off, it corners so much better. Gone is chasing that feeling of the front end wanting to push. It settles perfectly now and tracks through ruts with ease. It’s going to take some time to adjust to. It allows you to charge into corners so much faster because it’ll just settle right in with no fuss. On the air stuff, I found I had to brake hard to load the front end and stay on the front brake to keep it in a rut, even still, it always felt like it was going to push out from under me. The spring kit eliminates all of that.
It handles chop better than air. Tracks straight, remains high enough in the stroke, and is really plush. I really felt no harshness at all today.
I also had a chance to ride it off-road. The trails were rooty, slick, rutted. I am amazed by how plush it was in this stuff as well. So much better than the air. It swallowed up all the trail junk and allowed me to push without it deflecting or feeling harsh at all.
Really amazing how versatile this stuff was and how well it handled both disciplines. I’d feel absolutely comfortable racing a GNCC and then the next weekend racing moto on this stuff.
Again, it’ll take some time to get used to it…in a good way. It just does everything better than air, learning to trust it and undo all those things I had to do when riding air. Hats off to WP for the kit and FC for the setup. Knocked it out of the park in a big way.
Thank you so much for the review. I’m coming off a Yamaha and getting a KTM this year and was planning on doing this first thing. Appreciate the review.
hylo
6/25/2022 9:55pm
fanger wrote:
Thing is you shouldn't have to spend the money to upgrade the forks. Ready to race or ready to replace?
Well, most people don’t need to upgrade them. Some guys talk the forks down so much that some feel the need to upgrade them without even trying them before swapping for cone valves or KYB conversions.

That being said I have CV’s but I like the AER’s.
6/26/2022 12:48am
Did you even try it with AERS or are your last 2 bikes 2022s? I have only read good things on the AER for the 2022`s? every test says they are better than previous versions.
skypig
6/26/2022 1:11am
Plenty of pros ride on Air-forks.
Plenty of keyboard warriors “know” they are hopeless.

Personal preference and priorities.
agn5008
Fantasy
256th
6/26/2022 6:36am
fanger wrote:
hylo wrote:
Well, most people don’t need to upgrade them. Some guys talk the forks down so much that some feel the need to upgrade them without even...
Well, most people don’t need to upgrade them. Some guys talk the forks down so much that some feel the need to upgrade them without even trying them before swapping for cone valves or KYB conversions.

He acts like people don’t get revalves done or place the right spring rates in their bikes with other brands 🙄
hylo
6/26/2022 6:47am
fanger wrote:
hylo wrote:
Well, most people don’t need to upgrade them. Some guys talk the forks down so much that some feel the need to upgrade them without even...

agn5008 wrote:
He acts like people don’t get revalves done or place the right spring rates in their bikes with other brands 🙄
Well, that kinda says it all, doesnt it?
Sandusky26
6/26/2022 7:03am
fanger wrote:
hylo wrote:

agn5008 wrote:
Most KTM owners change the engineering of the front suspension. Jap owners change the settings.
Bruce372
6/26/2022 7:53am
hylo wrote:

agn5008 wrote:
Sandusky26 wrote:
Most KTM owners change the engineering of the front suspension. Jap owners change the settings.
Most rmz450 owners change the engineering of their rear suspension.....Tongue
katoom350
6/26/2022 8:48am
cablecable wrote:
Did you even try it with AERS or are your last 2 bikes 2022s? I have only read good things on the AER for the 2022`s...
Did you even try it with AERS or are your last 2 bikes 2022s? I have only read good things on the AER for the 2022`s? every test says they are better than previous versions.
2017 KTM 250XC: Factory Connection AER revalve and their AER performance kit.
2018 Husky 450FX: AEO revalve

The shocks were done on both as well. I also rode them both stock before revalve. They were both too soft for moto.

I did not ride the new GasGas stock before sending out the suspension. It felt quite soft. Assuming it would have been pretty damn good through the woods, but way way too soft for moto.

I get the revalves done so the bikes can handle both disciplines (off-road and moto). Typically the stock XC, FX, EX suspension settings are way too soft for my liking for moto.
Sandusky26
6/26/2022 8:53am
agn5008 wrote:
Sandusky26 wrote:
Bruce372 wrote:
I bought a KYB shock a month ago, you got me on that one.
katoom350
6/26/2022 9:09am
I should also clarify. FC has really good settings for the AER stuff. So does AEO. I liked FC’s better, it felt more plush and still held up well. With that said, I was really happy with both my previous air forks after revalves and both are great people to work with.

This spring conversion is just that much better. It brings back the familiarity of the spring fork feeling.
Bruce372
6/26/2022 10:36am
Sandusky26 wrote:
Bruce372 wrote:
Sandusky26 wrote:
I bought a KYB shock a month ago, you got me on that one.
The world has so many ironies.

Good foryou the rest of fhe bike is stock Wink
PNWMXer
6/26/2022 1:09pm
fanger wrote:

Congrats, dumbest thing I’ve read all day. While KTM should abandon this air fork BS in my opinion, it’s still worth it to spend the money as everything else is phenomenal. This from a guy who has never ridden anything but Japanese bikes since 92 until my current KTM.

For the OP, agree 100%. Night and day difference from stock. I was having some trouble with locking up on chop, but realized I was oversprung. Switching to the next lower rate and going in on compression a few clicks to bring overall stiffness back did the trick. They are now phenomenal. Better even than my Ohlins TTX inserts I had in my 18 KX.

Just curious, did FC just install the cartridges with WPs base setting, or did they tweak them prior?
Brent
6/26/2022 2:28pm
The 6500 inserts are fucking awesome, some guys prefer them to the WP pro 7548.
katoom350
6/26/2022 3:55pm
fanger wrote:

PNWMXer wrote:
Congrats, dumbest thing I’ve read all day. While KTM should abandon this air fork BS in my opinion, it’s still worth it to spend the money...
Congrats, dumbest thing I’ve read all day. While KTM should abandon this air fork BS in my opinion, it’s still worth it to spend the money as everything else is phenomenal. This from a guy who has never ridden anything but Japanese bikes since 92 until my current KTM.

For the OP, agree 100%. Night and day difference from stock. I was having some trouble with locking up on chop, but realized I was oversprung. Switching to the next lower rate and going in on compression a few clicks to bring overall stiffness back did the trick. They are now phenomenal. Better even than my Ohlins TTX inserts I had in my 18 KX.

Just curious, did FC just install the cartridges with WPs base setting, or did they tweak them prior?
FC revalved them to tweak for a moto setting with a little GNCC tweak.
stonerb
6/26/2022 4:48pm
Brent wrote:
The 6500 inserts are fucking awesome, some guys prefer them to the WP pro 7548.
What is the price difference for inserts vs full cone valve forks?
fanger
6/26/2022 7:14pm
fanger wrote:

PNWMXer wrote:
Congrats, dumbest thing I’ve read all day. While KTM should abandon this air fork BS in my opinion, it’s still worth it to spend the money...

Yeah pretty dumb to be ticked off that I could've gotten a honda cheaper and resprung the forks to suit. Instead the best option seems to be drop 2k on the inserts + the cost of springs etc to make my bike rideable...
6/26/2022 10:31pm
fanger wrote:

PNWMXer wrote:

fanger wrote:
Yeah pretty dumb to be ticked off that I could've gotten a honda cheaper and resprung the forks to suit. Instead the best option seems to...
Yeah pretty dumb to be ticked off that I could've gotten a honda cheaper and resprung the forks to suit. Instead the best option seems to be drop 2k on the inserts + the cost of springs etc to make my bike rideable...
Sounds like maybe you should sell it and get something that brings you joy
cwel11
6/27/2022 2:33am
fanger wrote:

PNWMXer wrote:

fanger wrote:
Yeah pretty dumb to be ticked off that I could've gotten a honda cheaper and resprung the forks to suit. Instead the best option seems to...
Serious question. You did no research - countless tests and articles, rode a buddies bike or asked someone who had one - about a bike you were gonna drop close to 10g on? And now you’re pissed at the manufacturer? Do you happen to own a mirror?
fanger
6/27/2022 4:40am
hylo wrote:

agn5008 wrote:
Sandusky26 wrote:
Exactly that.
fanger
6/27/2022 5:02am
PNWMXer wrote:

fanger wrote:
cwel11 wrote:
Serious question. You did no research - countless tests and articles, rode a buddies bike or asked someone who had one - about a bike you...
Serious question. You did no research - countless tests and articles, rode a buddies bike or asked someone who had one - about a bike you were gonna drop close to 10g on? And now you’re pissed at the manufacturer? Do you happen to own a mirror?
I should probably explain a little instead of just shitting on them lol

I haven't ridden properly or consistently for 15 years, I rode a mates 21 ktm 450 and loved it. I was an a grade junior here in Australia, I'm at the point where now I've got 40hrs on the bike I'm starting to get faster and the forks are an absolute nightmare now.

My gripe is now I have to look at changing the whole fork at quite a cost, whereas if I had of chose another brand I could respring the forks for a fraction of the cost and be sweet.

And after the fact I've spoken to a few suspension guys, the general consensus is ktm knows they are shit (hence all the aftermarket options) but had them mass produced at a really low price to save on cost.

So I can either pay to get the forks fixed, or sell my bike and buy a Yamaha, then get it resprung for roughly the same amount.
yz133rider
6/27/2022 5:21am Edited Date/Time 6/27/2022 5:22am
fanger wrote:
cwel11 wrote:
Serious question. You did no research - countless tests and articles, rode a buddies bike or asked someone who had one - about a bike you...
fanger wrote:
I should probably explain a little instead of just shitting on them lol I haven't ridden properly or consistently for 15 years, I rode a mates...
I should probably explain a little instead of just shitting on them lol

I haven't ridden properly or consistently for 15 years, I rode a mates 21 ktm 450 and loved it. I was an a grade junior here in Australia, I'm at the point where now I've got 40hrs on the bike I'm starting to get faster and the forks are an absolute nightmare now.

My gripe is now I have to look at changing the whole fork at quite a cost, whereas if I had of chose another brand I could respring the forks for a fraction of the cost and be sweet.

And after the fact I've spoken to a few suspension guys, the general consensus is ktm knows they are shit (hence all the aftermarket options) but had them mass produced at a really low price to save on cost.

So I can either pay to get the forks fixed, or sell my bike and buy a Yamaha, then get it resprung for roughly the same amount.
When you buy complete forks for the ktm you can bring them to the next bike and the next bike and the next bike, and keep putting the stock forks back on to sell.

So yes there’s an initial cost, but over time it works out in your favor.

You can also sell the complete forks usually for within 70-80% of what you paid for them. Which works out to the cost of a revalve generally.

All the while you got to use some really great suspension.
FJP667
6/27/2022 6:40am
I also just had my first ride with the WP 6500 cartridges. I have a 2017.5 KTM 250-SX-F FE. I absolutely love the bike. I have to confirm what the OP stated. The way the front end tracks and settles into corners so well, it is a night and day difference. I have so much more confidence in the bike. Not to mention, the 6500's are very plush and comfortable. I was able to get along with the AER air fork. It was very compliant and it never did anything sketchy. My problem was that no matter what settings I went with, the fork got harsh once the track got rough. The was just zero comfort. I also do not miss checking my air pressure before every moto. I do know the fork has progressed a lot since the 2017-2018 version. Factory Connection has always done my suspension work and they did my inserts. I feel their settings are a home run too. I did not have to touch the clickers all day. I can't say enough. The WP 6500 cartridges are not cheap but they are so worth it to me. They have transformed my bike. Can't wait for the next ride in a few days!
adams189
6/27/2022 7:50am
FJP667 wrote:
I also just had my first ride with the WP 6500 cartridges. I have a 2017.5 KTM 250-SX-F FE. I absolutely love the bike. I have...
I also just had my first ride with the WP 6500 cartridges. I have a 2017.5 KTM 250-SX-F FE. I absolutely love the bike. I have to confirm what the OP stated. The way the front end tracks and settles into corners so well, it is a night and day difference. I have so much more confidence in the bike. Not to mention, the 6500's are very plush and comfortable. I was able to get along with the AER air fork. It was very compliant and it never did anything sketchy. My problem was that no matter what settings I went with, the fork got harsh once the track got rough. The was just zero comfort. I also do not miss checking my air pressure before every moto. I do know the fork has progressed a lot since the 2017-2018 version. Factory Connection has always done my suspension work and they did my inserts. I feel their settings are a home run too. I did not have to touch the clickers all day. I can't say enough. The WP 6500 cartridges are not cheap but they are so worth it to me. They have transformed my bike. Can't wait for the next ride in a few days!
Did FC revolve them or did you use the WP setting that came with the cartridges? What did you do to the shock to balance it out? Anything?
FJP667
6/27/2022 8:24am
FJP667 wrote:
I also just had my first ride with the WP 6500 cartridges. I have a 2017.5 KTM 250-SX-F FE. I absolutely love the bike. I have...
adams189 wrote:
Did FC revolve them or did you use the WP setting that came with the cartridges? What did you do to the shock to balance it...
Did FC revolve them or did you use the WP setting that came with the cartridges? What did you do to the shock to balance it out? Anything?
FC had previously revalved my shock. FC did revalve the WP 6500's and sent me settings for fork height etc. FC suggested running the fork 0-2.5mm up in the clamps. It honestly felt pretty balanced. I ended up going to 3mm, sag at 110 and the bike really felt great.
Brent
6/27/2022 7:56pm
stonerb wrote:
What is the price difference for inserts vs full cone valve forks?
I didn’t pay for mine so I don’t know for sure, but I think the Inserts Installed and configured with the correct spring rate is about 1500 to 2 grand. Ask Keefer I think he knows…

Post a reply to: WP 6500 Spring Conversion first ride.

The Latest