Stem cells eh?

Matt414
Posts
974
Joined
2/28/2007
Location
St. Petersburg, FL, USA
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 12:55pm
So I took the plunge and grabbed a plane ticket and am now in Germany. I am having a procedure done this week to hopefully regain some of the function I am still missing from my accident. I know this isn't really all that moto related, but its been a topic of discussion with all the injuries over the last 10 years or so.

I am going to try and do updates throughout the week on my blog or facebook, I can post stuff up on here as to how things progress if anyone is interested.

And for those of you that are wondering. The procedure is pretty simple. I'll have a bone marrow biopsy done and some marrow removed, the stem cells will be extracted from my marrow. Then a lumbar puncture will remove some spinal fluid, docs will mix the spinal fluid with the cells and re-inject them back into my spinal cord. The theory is that the stem cells will bond with the existing nerve tissue to hopefully regrow some of the dead tissue.
|
level
Posts
6184
Joined
8/27/2006
Location
Acworth, GA, USA
9/18/2010 12:31pm
Good luck man. Keep us updated.
kwhite199
Posts
492
Joined
12/4/2007
Location
USA
9/18/2010 12:36pm
Good luck! Gotta love the age we live in. Hopefully it won't be long until injuries like this will be a thing of the past.
9/18/2010 12:36pm
Best of luck and Dr. skill.
I hope you have great results and look forward to your updates.
flarider
Posts
25496
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Daytona Beach, FL, USA
9/18/2010 12:37pm
Maybe they can suck a little fat out of ya also, tubby

The Shop

Matt414
Posts
974
Joined
2/28/2007
Location
St. Petersburg, FL, USA
9/18/2010 12:38pm
flarider wrote:
Maybe they can suck a little fat out of ya also, tubby
Thats one of the dumber things you've ever said. You really think they can pull any fat out of me? I'd just fill it right back up again.
groggylbc
Posts
279
Joined
5/30/2008
Location
Long Beach, CA, USA
9/18/2010 12:45pm
its absolutely crazy that the right wing conservatives think that stem cell research is bad!!
paul937
Posts
390
Joined
6/19/2009
Location
Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Fantasy
9/18/2010 12:48pm
Awesome news Matt!! Thanks for the update and keep us posted. Good luck over there!!

Paul
TerryK
Posts
9899
Joined
8/17/2006
Location
CA
9/18/2010 12:50pm
Good luck Matt! Keep us up to date when you can.
Matt414
Posts
974
Joined
2/28/2007
Location
St. Petersburg, FL, USA
9/18/2010 12:51pm
groggylbc wrote:
its absolutely crazy that the right wing conservatives think that stem cell research is bad!!
Really? You're gonna make my brain explode. Its not conservatives or shit like that. Its much more complicated. I don't want to be a dick, but learn about the subject before you start blaming one group of people for something or lack thereof.
9/18/2010 12:59pm
Please let us know how it goes and your experiences. Great luck to you.
Chris_ONeal
Posts
1273
Joined
5/14/2009
Location
Essex, CT, USA
9/18/2010 1:04pm
Please keep us updated! I'd interested to know if it works. Good luck!
TerryK
Posts
9899
Joined
8/17/2006
Location
CA
9/18/2010 1:13pm
groggylbc wrote:
its absolutely crazy that the right wing conservatives think that stem cell research is bad!!
Matt414 wrote:
Really? You're gonna make my brain explode. Its not conservatives or shit like that. Its much more complicated. I don't want to be a dick, but...
Really? You're gonna make my brain explode. Its not conservatives or shit like that. Its much more complicated. I don't want to be a dick, but learn about the subject before you start blaming one group of people for something or lack thereof.
I agree. Stay on topic as well groggylbc.
nytsmaC
Posts
5946
Joined
8/10/2009
Location
Frig Off, CA
9/18/2010 1:15pm
Good luck Matt, I hope this is successful!
Tbteam
Posts
2869
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Ormond Beach, FL, USA
9/18/2010 1:22pm
Good luck, Matt. I hope it's amazingly successful.
Nielsen277
Posts
616
Joined
7/13/2007
Location
Breaux Bridge, LA, USA
9/18/2010 2:01pm
groggylbc wrote:
its absolutely crazy that the right wing conservatives think that stem cell research is bad!!
EMBRYONIC. Look it up.
disbanded
Posts
6994
Joined
8/26/2007
Location
Evergreen, CO, USA
9/18/2010 2:07pm
I sure hope you are close to Munich because Octoberfest starts today.
Roscoe33
Posts
942
Joined
12/10/2009
Location
London, CA
9/18/2010 2:11pm
groggylbc wrote:
its absolutely crazy that the right wing conservatives think that stem cell research is bad!!
Matt414 wrote:
Really? You're gonna make my brain explode. Its not conservatives or shit like that. Its much more complicated. I don't want to be a dick, but...
Really? You're gonna make my brain explode. Its not conservatives or shit like that. Its much more complicated. I don't want to be a dick, but learn about the subject before you start blaming one group of people for something or lack thereof.
Thank you for that reply...

Good Luck, without risk there is no reward.
Suns_PSD
Posts
989
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Austin, TX, USA
9/18/2010 2:22pm
I'll be whispering a little prayer for ya fellow moto brother.

Good Luck.

PS. It is the CCR (Christian Conservative Right) that has effectively limited growth in this exciting medical field that could cure spinal injuries, diabetes, etc... Make no doubt about it.
Old Mate
Posts
2271
Joined
3/9/2009
Location
Sussex Inlet, AU
9/18/2010 2:26pm
TerryK wrote:
Good luck Matt! Keep us up to date when you can.
X2
Shenzi
Posts
2699
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
SWFL, FL, USA
Fantasy
9/18/2010 2:45pm
Good luck Matt!

A shame a country like the USA, where the access to health care is so expensive, cannot offer you this kind of procedure yet.
hammertime
Posts
1583
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
K Town, CA
9/18/2010 2:52pm
very cool. i'll be really interested to follow your story on this as i've got a few spinal cord related issues as well. i'm going to fb friend you right now.
flarider
Posts
25496
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Daytona Beach, FL, USA
9/18/2010 2:54pm
flarider wrote:
Maybe they can suck a little fat out of ya also, tubby
Matt414 wrote:
Thats one of the dumber things you've ever said. You really think they can pull any fat out of me? I'd just fill it right back...
Thats one of the dumber things you've ever said. You really think they can pull any fat out of me? I'd just fill it right back up again.
Don't lie to me, I know you're there for stomach stapling and some secret German fat sucking procedure

Why do you think I am going in a few weeks?

Duh



Highsider
Posts
7679
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Way Toasty, IA, USA
9/18/2010 3:00pm
I want reports. Best of luck with everything!
Highsider
Posts
7679
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Way Toasty, IA, USA
9/18/2010 3:01pm
flarider wrote:
Maybe they can suck a little fat out of ya also, tubby
Matt414 wrote:
Thats one of the dumber things you've ever said. You really think they can pull any fat out of me? I'd just fill it right back...
Thats one of the dumber things you've ever said. You really think they can pull any fat out of me? I'd just fill it right back up again.
flarider wrote:
Don't lie to me, I know you're there for stomach stapling and some secret German fat sucking procedure Why do you think I am going in...
Don't lie to me, I know you're there for stomach stapling and some secret German fat sucking procedure

Why do you think I am going in a few weeks?

Duh



Neither one of you can cast a shadow, can you?
JPT
Posts
7208
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Cedar Falls, IA, USA
9/18/2010 3:03pm
Best of luck.
groggylbc
Posts
279
Joined
5/30/2008
Location
Long Beach, CA, USA
9/18/2010 3:07pm
groggylbc wrote:
its absolutely crazy that the right wing conservatives think that stem cell research is bad!!
Matt414 wrote:
Really? You're gonna make my brain explode. Its not conservatives or shit like that. Its much more complicated. I don't want to be a dick, but...
Really? You're gonna make my brain explode. Its not conservatives or shit like that. Its much more complicated. I don't want to be a dick, but learn about the subject before you start blaming one group of people for something or lack thereof.
wow dude, im on your side. you are going to a country that the gov. is funding and exploring stem cell research because they arent putting "god" in front of health! one of my best friends has been having trips to mexico for the same reason.
you are absolutly correct, i really dont know everything about it. i am pretty naive. but when i hear in the news about whats holding back funding and exploring to the fullest potential, all fingers seem to point at the conservative christian groups.so much for freedom of church and state. sorry if i made your head explode. and sorry to be of topic. good luck, i truely mean it!!
Doogan551
Posts
145
Joined
8/15/2007
Location
Yadkinville, NC, USA
9/18/2010 3:08pm
Good luck Matt!!
Lightning78
Posts
6353
Joined
12/12/2007
Location
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
9/18/2010 3:10pm
Awesome post, please keep us updated on your progress and how effective the procedure is. The stem cell stuff facinates me and I hope it works out for you bud. I see the spinal cord as the worlds most complex fiber optic cord and near impossible to repair but from what Ive read about stem cells, it could very well be the miracle cure for some spinal injuries and im eager to hear how well it worked for you.

Good Luck!
jimmie
Posts
2263
Joined
8/21/2008
Location
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
9/18/2010 3:16pm Edited Date/Time 9/20/2010 4:19pm
groggylbc wrote:
its absolutely crazy that the right wing conservatives think that stem cell research is bad!!


Matt, I wish you all the best.

I hope you can regain some or all that you lost.

Keep us informed buddy.
Madmax31
Posts
2143
Joined
1/7/2009
Location
Cincinnati, OH, USA
Fantasy
9/18/2010 3:53pm
groggylbc wrote:
its absolutely crazy that the right wing conservatives think that stem cell research is bad!!
Matt414 wrote:
Really? You're gonna make my brain explode. Its not conservatives or shit like that. Its much more complicated. I don't want to be a dick, but...
Really? You're gonna make my brain explode. Its not conservatives or shit like that. Its much more complicated. I don't want to be a dick, but learn about the subject before you start blaming one group of people for something or lack thereof.
Dude I don't know you but wish you nothing but the best. But I have to disagree you couldn't be more wrong. The Right has continually blocked stem cell research and I hate them for it. They can suck it hard.

Post a reply to: Stem cells eh?

The Latest