Steering stabilizer

Related:
Create New Tag

11/4/2018 2:50 AM

Who uses a steering stabilizer/damper for motocross? I tried a Scott’s steering stabilizer on my ktm with great results made the bike feel really planted and stable especially on a sand track.

|

11/4/2018 5:24 AM

Gauthier Paulin, Max Anstie and Thomas Covington did on the Rockstar Husky GP team this year.

|

11/4/2018 9:18 AM

Xr75 wrote:

Who uses a steering stabilizer/damper for motocross? I tried a Scott’s steering stabilizer on my ktm with great results made the bike feel really planted and stable especially on a sand track.

I have for a long time, and have just brought an ohlins for my KTM125,

|

11/4/2018 9:46 AM

I have the ohlins and for my set up (Suzuki with 20mm offset it tends to get nervous at higher speeds especially when going down hill and rear brake applied). I used to reef the stem nut down and always run my tubes flush in the clamps. Photo

|

11/4/2018 9:48 AM

|

11/4/2018 9:58 AM

de883zx wrote:

Being a 2 stroke two I’m sure a some affect Photo

|

11/4/2018 10:01 AM

Xr75 wrote:

scott_nz wrote:

I have for a long time, and have just brought an ohlins for my KTM125,

I use to, just sold it.?

|

@TONY351KTM

11/4/2018 10:20 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/4/2018 10:25 AM

I've been running steering dampers on every bike I've owned since 1998 and I am now afraid to ride without. Everything from 100 MPH+ desert to MX to tight singletrack, every ride situation was improved. In fact, the FasstCo Flexxbar combined with a damper is my go-to setup now. I use Scotts triples and towers (great quality) and have my top barclamps drilled to accept either a Scotts or GPR V1.0 (plus get tower pins from GPR to swap out), as I've found I like the GPR's consistent damping force better on 2-strokes and a Scotts better on 4-strokes. Call me weird ...

|

11/4/2018 9:15 PM

I use the Ride Eng headtube mount and Honda Stabilizer on my KTM.
Photo

|

11/4/2018 9:36 PM

I rode with one once and tried to do a little scrub and found on correcting in the air really strange. Turning the bars affected the movement of the rest of the bike in the air. It was really uncomfortable

|

11/4/2018 9:40 PM

I have a HPSD with brackets to fit a YZ250 or YZ125, will sell for $100 Photo

|

11/4/2018 9:49 PM

Do those Honda one’s even count?

|

11/5/2018 10:59 AM

wadiyatalkinabeet wrote:

Do those Honda one’s even count?

Never have heard a good comparison with full steering dampeners

|

11/5/2018 11:27 AM

Joko wrote:

Has it been revalved?

|

11/5/2018 1:37 PM

Rider 5280 wrote:

I've been running steering dampers on every bike I've owned since 1998 and I am now afraid to ride without. Everything from 100 MPH+ desert to MX to tight singletrack, every ride situation was improved. In fact, the FasstCo Flexxbar combined with a damper is my go-to setup now. I use Scotts triples and towers (great quality) and have my top barclamps drilled to accept either a Scotts or GPR V1.0 (plus get tower pins from GPR to swap out), as I've found I like the GPR's consistent damping force better on 2-strokes and a Scotts better on 4-strokes. Call me weird ...

This...

|

11/5/2018 4:52 PM

Joko wrote:

526 wrote:

Has it been revalved?

That's a good price for a damper and mounts even if not.

|

11/5/2018 5:44 PM

Joko wrote:

526 wrote:

Has it been revalved?

No, I believe it’s stock. Got it from Derek Harris.

|

11/5/2018 6:09 PM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

Photo

Joe , do you have some pics with that thing all mounted up? It's something I'll end up wanting to do on my 250 when I can.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

11/5/2018 6:18 PM

Another big fan of Scott's here. You can soften up the low speed damping all the way on the track, and you'd never even know it was there. I run them on all my bikes. They have kept me out of the hospital more times than I can count.

|

11/5/2018 6:49 PM

I use those Showa dampers on my bikes and love them. Change them to a thicker oil
and works great to get rid of subtle headshake.

|

11/5/2018 7:25 PM

I've been running a GPR v1 under bar mounted one for over a decade and never even had to service it. I don't like to ride bikes with out them. I grew up racing desert, switched to worcs, than MX, and now mostly ride single track mountain trails and race mx occasionally.

|

11/6/2018 7:09 AM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

Photo

jeffro503 wrote:

Joe , do you have some pics with that thing all mounted up? It's something I'll end up wanting to do on my 250 when I can.

My Honda damper is revalved by Factory connection. If you actually want some stiffness you need to tell them. Maybe it’s called stage 2 or stage 3. Mine still feels loose compared to off-road guys.
Here are some photos from old bikes.
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

11/6/2018 7:48 AM

Thanks Joe ! And the bolt mount connected to the upper part , did you have that welded on?

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

11/6/2018 7:53 AM

Photo

Mine is re-valved for offroad and racetech gold valve installed. I love it, like Joe I took mine off my old bike and installed it on my new one. I had to weld a bung on because of the Neken triple clamps but when I get my new bike I will install it that way again.
|

11/6/2018 9:32 AM

smv ryder wrote: Photo

Mine is re-valved for offroad and racetech gold valve installed. I love it, like Joe I took mine off my old bike and installed it on my new one. I had to weld a bung on because of the Neken triple clamps but when I get my new bike I will install it that way again.

Did you revalve yourself? I just got one and I cant find any manual or any videos out there that show how to do it correctly. Sure I could guess but Id rather not.

|

11/6/2018 9:48 AM

MotoCoUSA wrote:

Did you revalve yourself? I just got one and I cant find any manual or any videos out there that show how to do it correctly. Sure I could guess but Id rather not.

I revalved mine myself. There is a thread on Thumper Talk that goes over it and shows what way to move the shims. You should be able to google it.

|

2018 KTM 250sx
Instagram CamaroAJ

11/6/2018 9:50 AM

jeffro503 wrote:

Thanks Joe ! And the bolt mount connected to the upper part , did you have that welded on?

Ride Engineering has a bolt on deal. You only need to weld the bung to the frame is you have Neken clamps as the tanks hit the bracket. It is a very noticeable upgrade to the handling of the KTM having it on there.

|

2018 KTM 250sx
Instagram CamaroAJ

11/6/2018 10:20 AM

MotoCoUSA wrote:

Motovate racing in Rifle did my re-valve. Let me know if you want his contact information since you are Colorado.

|

11/6/2018 10:48 AM

jeffro503 wrote:

On my 250 I had MotoWhips weld a bung. On my 350 I just painted the Ride Eng mount, wasn't worth the hassle to get it welded. Does look factory though!

|

11/6/2018 11:15 AM

AJ565 wrote:

I revalved mine myself. There is a thread on Thumper Talk that goes over it and shows what way to move the shims. You should be able to google it.

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/541149-how-to-service-2008-steering-damper-lots-of-pics/?page=3
|

Billy Wight
Luxon MX
@LuxonMX
https://luxonmx.com
Motocross Components Engineered for Performance