St. Patty's day....

ocscottie
Posts
69092
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Redding, CA, USA
Edited Date/Time 3/19/2016 10:01am
Well, i made it another one! For those counting that makes 31. Its hard to believe i have made it this far, after the recent lose of a good friend who was also injured, i now only know one person hurt longer than i have been.

Some are probably asking WTF am i talking about? Today is the anniversary of my accident. There were times, many of them, that i never thought i would make it this far. This highs have been high and the lows very low, but i have made it!

If you never read the details or heard this story....i wrote it in a blog post a few years ago. Go have a read if you are interested here: The Day That Changed My Life Forever

I've had a ton of support from many here at Vital over the years and i thank each and everyone of you from the bottom of me heart.

Well, here is to 31 more!!!!
|
JB 19
Posts
4350
Joined
3/8/2009
Location
Marion, OH, USA
3/17/2016 4:32am Edited Date/Time 3/17/2016 4:33am
That injury has always been my biggest fear as an mx guy. I have so much respect for guys like you who keep a good attitude and live a productive life. I can't even imagine. Congrats on being so damn tough.
Olson
Posts
4605
Joined
4/14/2012
Location
SE
3/17/2016 4:54am
Good job Scottie and I hope you're doing good and continue to make progress! We're very lucky to have you around!
KMC440
Posts
7764
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
3/17/2016 5:07am
Keep on keepin on Scottie !! Hold down NoCal till my triumphant return!
You'll get all the Bull you can drink on that day!
Starcrossed
Posts
3160
Joined
4/16/2014
Location
New Bedford, MA, USA
3/17/2016 5:48am
Thanks for sharing your story on the anniversary of the date of your accident. I was aware that you sustained a very serious injury, but was unacquainted with the details. I can't imagine what you've gone through from that day forward, but I'm sure it has taken more courage and perseverance than most of us can say we possess. In your case, there is no doubt. God bless, and keep you well for another 31 plus.

The Shop

huck
Posts
17050
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Mountain Home, AR, USA
3/17/2016 5:55am
I know there have been some ups and downs...good for you for keeping your head up and keep on plugging away! Here's to 31 more years!!!!!
defeatist45
Posts
790
Joined
1/13/2010
Location
Raleigh, NC, USA
3/17/2016 6:22am
OC, I knew there was an accident, but never wanted to ask about what happened. You are one gnarly individual to keep fighting the way you do. Props to you, man.
kzizok
Posts
8428
Joined
10/19/2010
Location
USA
3/17/2016 6:34am
Wow!! What a powerful story. You have to be very strong to deal with such an issue on a daily basis. Much respect.

I would be remiss if I didnt compliment you on your writing skills.
gsxrcr28
Posts
7419
Joined
3/5/2009
Location
Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
3/17/2016 6:41am
I know we talk all the time and I've told you this before, but you're one tough dude bud.
TailSoHard
Posts
1656
Joined
10/18/2014
Location
Beer City, MI, USA
3/17/2016 6:41am
Same here, I knew you had an accident but never heard the details... props to you for chugging along all those years and finding the courage to talk about your story.

Keep writing, you've got a knack for it. You never know; write enough stuff down and you might eventually end up with a book that inspires a young moto kid going through the same thing.
mxb2
Posts
22437
Joined
6/15/2010
Location
Bowie, MD, USA
3/17/2016 6:42am
Props to you OC.
Andrew337
Posts
129
Joined
6/24/2015
Location
Grand Prairie, TX, USA
3/17/2016 7:12am
Thanks for sharing, Scottie. I'm sure it's a bittersweet anniversary for you, I honestly can't imagine the things you've gone through and overcome and I hope you take pride in what you've been able to accomplish since that day. My girlfriend is coming up on 3 years as a T-11 complete (mountain biking). A year in a chair seems to be more struggle than some will deal with in a lifetime, and sometimes you have to remember to celebrate the small victories. Congrats on another year of persevering, and here's to another 31!
MR. X
Posts
6913
Joined
6/24/2010
Location
North Tonawanda, NY, USA
3/17/2016 7:24am
Stay tough dude ,you made it this long for a reason.
Uncle Tony
Posts
4149
Joined
6/30/2014
Location
New York, NY, USA
3/17/2016 7:39am
Here's to another 31 years oscottie!!!!!!! F1 starts tomorrow man (or tonight)
kzizok
Posts
8428
Joined
10/19/2010
Location
USA
3/17/2016 8:11am
Andrew337 wrote:
Thanks for sharing, Scottie. I'm sure it's a bittersweet anniversary for you, I honestly can't imagine the things you've gone through and overcome and I hope...
Thanks for sharing, Scottie. I'm sure it's a bittersweet anniversary for you, I honestly can't imagine the things you've gone through and overcome and I hope you take pride in what you've been able to accomplish since that day. My girlfriend is coming up on 3 years as a T-11 complete (mountain biking). A year in a chair seems to be more struggle than some will deal with in a lifetime, and sometimes you have to remember to celebrate the small victories. Congrats on another year of persevering, and here's to another 31!
Andrew,

Props to you too for fighting the good fight with/for your girlfriend. I know to most of us that seems natural but a lot of significant others would have bailed.
dsmith
Posts
4587
Joined
3/29/2011
Location
way north, IN, USA
Fantasy
3/17/2016 8:18am

Dezerted
Posts
637
Joined
11/10/2011
Location
Temecula, CA, USA
3/17/2016 8:25am
I don't know whether to say sorry or congratulations or perhaps both are just as fitting. Either way you are an admiration to many, both in and out of a chair. Your attitude add passion is something everyone should strive to emulate whether it's towards racing or some other important aspect of their life. Cheers to you OCScottie, and here's to many more March 17 anniversaries. Smile
ocscottie
Posts
69092
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Redding, CA, USA
3/17/2016 8:36am
Andrew337 wrote:
Thanks for sharing, Scottie. I'm sure it's a bittersweet anniversary for you, I honestly can't imagine the things you've gone through and overcome and I hope...
Thanks for sharing, Scottie. I'm sure it's a bittersweet anniversary for you, I honestly can't imagine the things you've gone through and overcome and I hope you take pride in what you've been able to accomplish since that day. My girlfriend is coming up on 3 years as a T-11 complete (mountain biking). A year in a chair seems to be more struggle than some will deal with in a lifetime, and sometimes you have to remember to celebrate the small victories. Congrats on another year of persevering, and here's to another 31!
Andrew, man...that got me thinking back, that first few years are a real tough ride! Dude clear back in 1985 and i had to worry about if i could even go anywhere and if it was going to be accessible. Had a lot of friends carry me up stairs, learned to jump up curbs...i've seen a lot of things change over the years and its mind blowing how acceptable it has become...but the road hasnt changed, its still a bumpy one and there are good days and bad ones, but i always told myself even the most fortunate people in the world have their bad days, so you are no different, only the challenges you face are.

There are a lot of things i am very proud of, wining a championship racing my pilot being near the top of my list, but most of all the impact i have made on many people lives is what i cherish the most. When things get tough, simply tell her, "YOU CAN DO THIS!" ....and give her a hug.Cool That simple line has gotten me through some hard times.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. This day, even after 31 of them, never gets any easier.
JM485
Posts
5826
Joined
10/1/2013
Location
Davis, CA, USA
3/17/2016 8:42am
Man. like others here I knew you had had an accident, but never knew the details. I hope you're doing well and congratulations on all that you've overcome, definitely an inspiration for all of us.
G Force
Posts
1507
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Winnipeg, CA
3/17/2016 8:51am
huck wrote:
I know there have been some ups and downs...good for you for keeping your head up and keep on plugging away! Here's to 31 more years!!!!!
^^^^^ This!

Good to have you here Scottie! Cheers!
Old-Man
Posts
8019
Joined
10/21/2011
Location
Colorado springs, CO, USA
3/17/2016 8:53am
Right on Scottie! You make this place what it is Man, lotta fun just BSen with you thru the years...
Keep up the good fight as you have many many friends that enjoy you around.
jeffro503
Posts
27651
Joined
7/22/2007
Location
St Helens, OR, USA
3/17/2016 8:55am
Congrats on being a tough son of a bitch Scottie! I hope you have at least 31 more years left! Keep fighting the fight brother!
hellion
Posts
1092
Joined
12/19/2009
Location
Westfield, MA, USA
3/17/2016 9:00am
Scottie, It's amazing what you've overcome and continue to on a daily basis. So many of us get caught up and stressed over trivial every day matters, when things could be so much worse. To face your challenges daily and never stop fighting proves what kind of man you are. Keep on keepin' on Scottie.
jhansen510
Posts
2405
Joined
2/10/2009
Location
GREENFIELD, MN, USA
3/17/2016 9:02am
Scottie you are a bad dude and I think about you anytime I hear of another injured rider. You are an inspiration to many and your strength leaves me in awe. Keep on fighting man! We need you around here for 31 more!
dl117
Posts
1547
Joined
2/8/2007
Location
Cambridge, MN, USA
3/17/2016 9:08am
I read that blog everytime you post it up.....dude it is so hardcore, that is the kind of stuff everyone of us who through a leg over a bike worry about. You are an insperation.
GD2
Posts
16186
Joined
5/10/2014
Location
Plano, TX, USA
Fantasy
3/17/2016 9:25am Edited Date/Time 3/17/2016 9:26am
You're one tough dude Scottie!
Krazyk2774
Posts
378
Joined
12/20/2010
Location
Alberta, CA
3/17/2016 9:39am
I had an uncle that was hurt like you Scotti, it was very hard on him mentally and physically also. But like you he had a very positive outlook on life and made the best of it. Keep on trucking, you make vital a better place!
Trav138
Posts
1478
Joined
3/8/2012
Location
USA
3/17/2016 9:46am
I hope you have 31 more and they are healthy and rewarding
3/17/2016 9:54am
Staying positive is a choice. You made a good one.
shanes
Posts
578
Joined
3/4/2014
Location
AD
3/17/2016 10:13am
to sit down and write something like that must have been so so hard , it was hard enough to read having more than my fare share of really big ones seam like nothing compared to what happened to you , big props to you for getting on with life and making the best of what you have .

Respect
Andrew337
Posts
129
Joined
6/24/2015
Location
Grand Prairie, TX, USA
3/17/2016 10:15am Edited Date/Time 3/17/2016 10:16am
kzizok wrote:
Andrew, Props to you too for fighting the good fight with/for your girlfriend. I know to most of us that seems natural but a lot of...
Andrew,

Props to you too for fighting the good fight with/for your girlfriend. I know to most of us that seems natural but a lot of significant others would have bailed.
I appreciate that. I know several people that went through rough divorces soon after their injuries. I'm fortunate that we had a solid relationship going into the whole ordeal and could leave relationship stress out of it and work on getting her life back on track. We've only grown stronger as a couple. A good friend of mine (who cared for his late quadriplegic brother) once told me, "I think her injury is the only way you stood a chance of keeping up with her!"

Scottie, you're so right about how accessibility has improved since the '80s, but it is still very much a walking man's world. I know the bad days (hopefully) get fewer and farther between, at least they do for us, but I know she would love nothing more than to light her chair on fire and watch it burn!

I'd be curious to know more about your championship! Yvonne did her first autocross last weekend and seems to have caught the racing bug.

Post a reply to: St. Patty's day....

The Latest