Sand pits in ct/ny

mxer192
Edited Date/Time 10/25/2021 5:37pm
I am finding all these cool riding spots on YouTube. The video says where the town that the rodomg spot is on but whwn i search on goggle maps i can't find any. So does anyone know of any riding spots/ sand pits in the ny/ct area?
|
Stevo227
2/23/2019 6:22am
I know of a few down in Jersey, but have yet to ride any of them due to potentially get caught by the police. Everyone I talk to about the sand pits tell me its all about knowing a good place to park so you can make a quick get away if the cops show up. I live up close to Middletown, NY and would love to find a sand pit to ride, especially in the early spring, late fall.
2/23/2019 6:43am
There used to be quite a few sand pit style practice tracks all ovet Connecticut. Meriden, Cromwell, Plainville, Granby, Colchester, Waterford, Milford, North Haven and a whole ton more. It was never legal to ride at these places, the DEP would write a few tickets in the spring and then pretty much leave it alone after that. But in the last 20 yrs. the places have been off limits and development has taken over. CT is not at all friendly to off road vehicle use.
The only legal places left are Milford Riders M/C and Central Cycle Club which is a sanctioned NESC track.
mxer192
2/23/2019 6:48am
Stevo227 wrote:
I know of a few down in Jersey, but have yet to ride any of them due to potentially get caught by the police. Everyone I...
I know of a few down in Jersey, but have yet to ride any of them due to potentially get caught by the police. Everyone I talk to about the sand pits tell me its all about knowing a good place to park so you can make a quick get away if the cops show up. I live up close to Middletown, NY and would love to find a sand pit to ride, especially in the early spring, late fall.
Hey did u get my message?
Stevo227
2/23/2019 8:00am
I did not receive a message from mxer192?

The Shop

Stevo227
2/23/2019 8:01am
There used to be quite a few sand pit style practice tracks all ovet Connecticut. Meriden, Cromwell, Plainville, Granby, Colchester, Waterford, Milford, North Haven and a...
There used to be quite a few sand pit style practice tracks all ovet Connecticut. Meriden, Cromwell, Plainville, Granby, Colchester, Waterford, Milford, North Haven and a whole ton more. It was never legal to ride at these places, the DEP would write a few tickets in the spring and then pretty much leave it alone after that. But in the last 20 yrs. the places have been off limits and development has taken over. CT is not at all friendly to off road vehicle use.
The only legal places left are Milford Riders M/C and Central Cycle Club which is a sanctioned NESC track.
I've heard about some places out in CT as well. Thats to bad. They keep shutting down places or making it more difficult to ride. It was nice to have rocky hill before it closed.
mxer192
2/23/2019 8:05am Edited Date/Time 2/23/2019 8:15am
Stevo227 wrote:
I live close to you. Im in Monroe. I know a lot of other spots near middletown/monroe.
sandtrack315
3/10/2019 9:15pm
Stevo227 wrote:
mxer192 wrote:
I live close to you. Im in Monroe. I know a lot of other spots near middletown/monroe.
Let me know as well!
pkiczuk
3/11/2019 8:02am
yea in southeastern ct I remember we used to ride under the bridge in preston all the time, or a few sand pits. but it seemed as the years went on we were being chased out by the cops. which is fair if its on someones private property obviously. it just sucks because even now Thomaston damn is at risk of losing its riding spot. looks like the town is trying to turn it into a walk way for hikers instead of a riding area. as far as mx tracks go, like stated, you have milford riders club and central cycle club. I don't know much about milford, but CCC can be pricey to join. worth every penny im sure, but i would love it if we could have some public tracks.
fourfourone
3/11/2019 8:08am Edited Date/Time 3/11/2019 8:11am
I live 15 minutes from rocky. It was the worse when they shut down. I ride so much less now.

I do work RIGHT next to the pits in North Haven. We go there sometimes but we find its filled with wheelie wayne dudes trying to ride moto. Instead of MX boots they wear Jordans and have no clue how to ride around other people. After almost getting hit by one of them we left and haven't really gone back.

My name is up for membership this year for Milford riders. That should help me get some more hours on the bike.

MX23 isn't too bad but its up in mass.
Steve125
Fantasy
2779th
3/11/2019 8:26am Edited Date/Time 3/11/2019 8:27am
There are many open practices at The Wick, which may be closer to you than sand places in CT... which there aren't really any of any more. Unless you want to get thrown out in 20 minutes. I remember riding a Windham sand pits in Ct. Big roller whoops and huge berms.. Aah the good old days.
RF145
3/11/2019 2:09pm
Stevo227 wrote:
I know of a few down in Jersey, but have yet to ride any of them due to potentially get caught by the police. Everyone I...
Ask around, there is the pit across from the Cement "factory" or whatever they call it off RT 17 North, heading east away from RT 17. This is South of Middletown proper, exit 122 (in other words, South of exit 122).
Have not been there in so long, I forget the exit number 118, 119??? Not legal, but I never had an issue. I could have been lucky the dozen or so times I rode there though.
sandman768
3/11/2019 6:11pm
We used to have a bunch of beat up sand tracks around where I Lived north of Albany Ny...we were trespassing but if you used your head nobody bothered you. they are all gone now....we were very Protective of our local riding spots...almost Like surfers are with their waves...we would work on the tracks, cutting trees & brush back and occasionally renting equipment to clean up the tracks! Talk about being nervous, with a rented tractor or dozer on somebody’s else’s land! I remember a friend of mine worked for a construction company, he drove a huge bucket loader to one of our tracks And cleaned it all up... in the middle of the nite! Our tracks would get so rough a lot of guys would not even ride them....I miss our beat up whooped out sand tracks...I know one thing....If I had a good sand pit or sand spot local to me, I would not be on social media talkin* about it....keep that a “secret “
3/11/2019 8:22pm
Also Middletown area looking for spots to ride
I live in East Haddam and actually went riding today. I have a dual sport so I go anywhere I feel like but know all the riding spots. My riding buddy just picked up at Beta Xtrainer 300 and we ripped the power lines today. So much fun!

If anyone wants to come riding send me a message. I also have a shop in Old Saybrook and graduated from MMI in 2000. I’m always looking for more people to ride with!

3/11/2019 8:32pm
I live in East Haddam and actually went riding today. I have a dual sport so I go anywhere I feel like but know all the...
I live in East Haddam and actually went riding today. I have a dual sport so I go anywhere I feel like but know all the riding spots. My riding buddy just picked up at Beta Xtrainer 300 and we ripped the power lines today. So much fun!

If anyone wants to come riding send me a message. I also have a shop in Old Saybrook and graduated from MMI in 2000. I’m always looking for more people to ride with!

I think Christiannyz means Middletown NY. Where is your shop in Saybrook? Im in Ivoryton, I'll take a walk over some time and check it out.Cool
pkiczuk
3/12/2019 3:27am
I live in East Haddam and actually went riding today. I have a dual sport so I go anywhere I feel like but know all the...

Im not far from you either, just got a dual sport last year. still getting used to riding on the street, hoping to get an MX bike this year but I am beyond beginner so riding with me probably wouldn't be much fun for most haha. but who knows, maybe ill hit you up sometime this year
dedi684
3/12/2019 4:39am
sandman768 wrote:
We used to have a bunch of beat up sand tracks around where I Lived north of Albany Ny...we were trespassing but if you used your...
We used to have a bunch of beat up sand tracks around where I Lived north of Albany Ny...we were trespassing but if you used your head nobody bothered you. they are all gone now....we were very Protective of our local riding spots...almost Like surfers are with their waves...we would work on the tracks, cutting trees & brush back and occasionally renting equipment to clean up the tracks! Talk about being nervous, with a rented tractor or dozer on somebody’s else’s land! I remember a friend of mine worked for a construction company, he drove a huge bucket loader to one of our tracks And cleaned it all up... in the middle of the nite! Our tracks would get so rough a lot of guys would not even ride them....I miss our beat up whooped out sand tracks...I know one thing....If I had a good sand pit or sand spot local to me, I would not be on social media talkin* about it....keep that a “secret “
I used to ride a few of them with a buddy from vt. Queensbury area i think.
pkiczuk
3/14/2019 9:53am

ever ride devils hopyard? Im right off of 82 and just a few miles from the park. been wanting to cruise through there since ive never been, but haven't had any one to ride through with. particularly someone who doesn't want to fly through everywhere lol.
McDuff
3/14/2019 12:38pm Edited Date/Time 3/14/2019 12:52pm
There were a few pits in Madison and Clinton on the shoreline of Ct, but most are houses now. There's still one left but you have to cross the r.r. tracks to get to it, and it's overgrown. Doesn't look to me like anyone has been there for 10 years or so.
3/14/2019 8:08pm
I grew up in Madison, CT and there was a pit at the end of Sheep Pasture Rd. It was a sheep pasture at one time but then turned into a practice track. We called it the "Boneyard" because sheep skulls and skelatal remains would get roosted up in berms and whoop sections. There was a big drop off we called the "Devils drop" after the legandary dtop off at Carlsbad. I can remember watching John Finkeldey tear the place apart on his KTM 495.
Also there was Neeri's pit in Clinton, which I think is the one you mention in your post, like the Boneyard it was near the marshlands. Condos went up at the boneyard in the mid '80's. Westbrook had some tracks also, at the town dump and Heritage Park Industrial Park.
McDuff
3/15/2019 8:11am Edited Date/Time 3/15/2019 8:45am
Are you the dude from Madison that raced Suszukis back in the mid 70's? One time I was riding at the boneyard and he was ripping laps on his rm 250. I was riding the track backwards by mistake and he came around a corner, saw me and then swerved off into the weeds to avoid a head on. If that was you sorry! I rode back in there a few years back on a pedal bike to see if I could find any evidence of the old track, nothing. Not a trace. I mainly rode at the pits off duck hole rd. There really wasn't a track but it was much closer to home. It was pretty good though. We did get chased out of there a few times. The last time I rode the marsh track across the r.r.tracks was 96 or 97. I went back there last summer to see what it was like, way overgrown. A couple of the big berms is about all I could find.
fourfourone
3/15/2019 8:12am
I think someone in this thread needs to step up and build a track!
pkiczuk
3/15/2019 10:22am
I think someone in this thread needs to step up and build a track!
Have at it! Just gotta find some land with enough acreage and away from neighbors who are guaranteed to complain(HA!), rent some equipment (much easier than finding the land), and get some people together. I'd help out with the build, but no bike to ride on it (and I would be too embarrassed to ride in front of experienced riders). I can be one hell of a supporting cast though!
3/15/2019 7:16pm
McDuff wrote:
Are you the dude from Madison that raced Suszukis back in the mid 70's? One time I was riding at the boneyard and he was ripping...
Are you the dude from Madison that raced Suszukis back in the mid 70's? One time I was riding at the boneyard and he was ripping laps on his rm 250. I was riding the track backwards by mistake and he came around a corner, saw me and then swerved off into the weeds to avoid a head on. If that was you sorry! I rode back in there a few years back on a pedal bike to see if I could find any evidence of the old track, nothing. Not a trace. I mainly rode at the pits off duck hole rd. There really wasn't a track but it was much closer to home. It was pretty good though. We did get chased out of there a few times. The last time I rode the marsh track across the r.r.tracks was 96 or 97. I went back there last summer to see what it was like, way overgrown. A couple of the big berms is about all I could find.
Nope, wasn't me, but I think I remember who you're talking about his name was Dave can't remember his last name.
11/29/2020 6:00pm
Hate to bring up an old thread but bored and browsing around tonight, there is a very good spot in Beacon falls. Literally just rode there today, been there since I can remember I’ve ridden there since I was 10 and I’m 25 now. Used to be super popular with tons of bikes but now it’s just a couple of us locals in there once in awhile. Safe parking and police in the area don’t pay us any mind I’ve pulled out of the pit and pulled up to my truck loaded and left with a cop watching me and just waved. Very deep whoops, some nice corner tracks with a big loop and some large whoop sections that you can actually hit as a rhythm section if you’re moving fast enough. Ride some train tracks out of that pit about a mile and it dumps you into a very large area in Seymour with lots of woods riding.
numbers
11/29/2020 6:12pm
Hate to bring up an old thread but bored and browsing around tonight, there is a very good spot in Beacon falls. Literally just rode there...
Hate to bring up an old thread but bored and browsing around tonight, there is a very good spot in Beacon falls. Literally just rode there today, been there since I can remember I’ve ridden there since I was 10 and I’m 25 now. Used to be super popular with tons of bikes but now it’s just a couple of us locals in there once in awhile. Safe parking and police in the area don’t pay us any mind I’ve pulled out of the pit and pulled up to my truck loaded and left with a cop watching me and just waved. Very deep whoops, some nice corner tracks with a big loop and some large whoop sections that you can actually hit as a rhythm section if you’re moving fast enough. Ride some train tracks out of that pit about a mile and it dumps you into a very large area in Seymour with lots of woods riding.

f052zy8002
11/30/2020 3:37pm
I am near middletown NY as well, any new spots would be nice to know about...Many of my friends in Orange County have had to shut their tracks down due to development & neighbors not enjoying the noise....
mxer192
11/30/2020 4:03pm
Hate to bring up an old thread but bored and browsing around tonight, there is a very good spot in Beacon falls. Literally just rode there...
When do you wanna go again!? I'll join ya
mxer192
11/30/2020 4:04pm
f052zy8002 wrote:
I am near middletown NY as well, any new spots would be nice to know about...Many of my friends in Orange County have had to shut...
I am near middletown NY as well, any new spots would be nice to know about...Many of my friends in Orange County have had to shut their tracks down due to development & neighbors not enjoying the noise....
Yea went by tetz the other day and cried when I saw that it's all filled in now. Sad Do you race or just ride? I grew up 5 mins from tetz
11/30/2020 4:37pm
mxer192 wrote:
When do you wanna go again!? I'll join ya
With winter closing in and tracks soon to close up for the winter probably be in there every weekend weather permitting. The sand doesn’t end up frozen and hard so as long as it’s not covered in snow or single digits we can ride it.

Post a reply to: Sand pits in ct/ny

The Latest