Riders union

Related:
Create New Tag

1/12/2019 9:49 AM

Is it me or do the riders in this industry need someone to look out for them. I am not Pro union but I think the riders need someone in their corner. They are treated like entertainers and tossed to the side at a moments notice. Most riders pay out of pocket for their own Medical insurance. They pay large entry fees with little in return as far as purse money. This sport is not healthy environment and will continue to decline unless riders take a stand. RISEUP.

|

1/12/2019 9:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2019 9:56 AM

Is it me or is vital turning into the land of hypothetical ideas that lead into 5 pages of dead end bickering ?

|

1/12/2019 10:05 AM

mx43 wrote:

Is it me or do the riders in this industry need someone to look out for them. I am not Pro union but I think the riders need ...more

I think you are right and you are the guy to start the riders union, now which big name riders are you going to sign up first Tomac, Barcia, Anderson ? and how much will you charge the riders for their union dues ? I am on board and look forward to see the progress you make, I think you should have all the riders fully unionized quickly because "the Riders" you speak of are clearly mistreated and should all get on board with out any trouble. cool

|

Ed Johnson

1/12/2019 10:07 AM

lostboy819 wrote:

I think you are right and you are the guy to start the riders union, now which big name riders are you going to sign up first ...more

Barcia definitely needs a union rep in his corner. I bet he only made 100 grand last weekend. Oh the humanity!

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

1/12/2019 10:14 AM

But wait don't you have to be an employee of the company before you are eligible for health benefits....

|

1/12/2019 10:21 AM

Well their trying to snuff out sponsors that support privateers like,dean wilson! At the 2 stroke invitational in 2017 at glen glen ama said we couldn’t wear a GoPro
What’s next? See pic below Photo

|

1/12/2019 10:23 AM

mx43 wrote:

Is it me or do the riders in this industry need someone to look out for them. I am not Pro union but I think the riders need ...more

lostboy819 wrote:

I think you are right and you are the guy to start the riders union, now which big name riders are you going to sign up first ...more

It’s that additude is what is wrong with this sport!

|

1/12/2019 10:25 AM

mx43 wrote:

lostboy819 wrote:

smashingpumpkins167 wrote:

Barcia definitely needs a union rep in his corner. I bet he only made 100 grand last weekend. Oh the humanity!

Yes of sponsor money he did not get that from Feld or Monster!.

|

1/12/2019 10:39 AM

mx43 wrote:

lostboy819 wrote:

mx43 wrote:

Then quit talking and start a riders union. If you are going to talk the talk then you better walk the walk. What is wrong with the sport is guys like you who think they know what is wrong with the sport but have no clue. I think the sport looks pretty damn good.

|

Ed Johnson

1/12/2019 10:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2019 10:44 AM

Then maybe we can have a scab series like Insport or similar, thin the rider pool.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

1/12/2019 11:01 AM

lostboy819 wrote:

mx43 wrote:

lostboy819 wrote:

Then quit talking and start a riders union. If you are going to talk the talk then you better walk the walk. What is wrong ...more

X2,. Dont talk about it, be about. We will.wait for the union info .

|

1/12/2019 11:07 AM

If anything they need to model it after the Formula 1 Drivers Association.The Grand Prix Drivers' Association (GPDA) They get things done and are a bridge between the FIA so that the drives, collectively, have a voice.

|

-OC
"Feed The Bull"
Twitter: @ocscottie | Facebook

1/12/2019 11:07 AM

mx43 wrote:

Yes of sponsor money he did not get that from Feld or Monster!.

He is a monster rider, so I bet he got a bonus from them too. Almost everybody in the 450 main was on a team and gets a salary too so there's that.

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

1/12/2019 11:13 AM

lostboy819 wrote:

mx43 wrote:

lostboy819 wrote:

Then quit talking and start a riders union. If you are going to talk the talk then you better walk the walk. What is wrong ...more

So caring about the riders welfare is wrong for the sport? seems to me its people like you who are bad for the sport

|

1/12/2019 11:19 AM

mx43 wrote:

lostboy819 wrote:

idahokid235 wrote:

So caring about the riders welfare is wrong for the sport? seems to me its people like you who are bad for the sport

the fans can't start a riders union, only the riders can, and they have shown little to know interest in doing so over the years, with a brief shot at it in 95 with limited success,

|

1/12/2019 11:21 AM

lostboy819 wrote:

mx43 wrote:

lostboy819 wrote:

You call yourself lostboy for a reason. Keep those blinders on son. I have been in this sport for over 40 years it is someone else’s turn. The riders are totaling being taken advantage of. Do you think Tickle would be sideline right now. What about James? These guys are low paid entertainment,and mean while the fat cats get fatter. We the consumer are paying the price for these sponsorships while the promoters have no accountability.

|

1/12/2019 11:38 AM

mx43 wrote:

You call yourself lostboy for a reason. Keep those blinders on son. I have been in this sport for over 40 years it is someone ...more

Making some good points. The problem with these union discussions is most are ignorant of what a union of workers provides. Most think only of pay. Safety is high on the list for example. Work rules, fair treatment, the list goes on. Players unions aren’t some whacky far out concept. Of course “Unions” get politicized. Corporations don’t want them. They are the “fat cats” you speak of. Empowering riders. What’s bad about that? Nothing. The top riders are fine, but what about the rest? The sport would grow if the the riders were protected.

|

1/12/2019 11:42 AM

With pretty much every other pro sport having some sort of union, what's held this up in moto? There's chatter every now and again. There's been some talk from lower tier riders. I can think of a couple upper tier riders that have publicly shown support (Langston and Reed come to mind). So, why hasn't this ever taken off?

Not that it matters at all, but I'm pretty much anti everything union, so this isn't anything I'm advocating for haha.

|

1/12/2019 11:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2019 11:47 AM

What are the current grievances? Besides money..

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

1/12/2019 11:50 AM

BR8ES wrote:

Safety

|

1/12/2019 11:53 AM

Photo
|

1/12/2019 11:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/12/2019 11:58 AM

BR8ES wrote:

From past discussions on this topic,it sounds like some wealthy people in high places dont want that and make it clear to anyone that actually talks about putting it together.

|

1/12/2019 11:58 AM

BR8ES wrote:

mx43 wrote:

Safety

What do you propose to make the sport safer and why would it take a union to make that happen?
Not busting your chops, actually am interested in what you have in mind.

|

1/12/2019 12:02 PM

lostboy819 wrote:

mx43 wrote:

You call yourself lostboy for a reason. Keep those blinders on son. I have been in this sport for over 40 years it is someone ...more

RCMXracing wrote:

Making some good points. The problem with these union discussions is most are ignorant of what a union of workers provides. ...more

MLB, NFL etc.. have players unions for good reason. When I was a blue collar guy working for an automotive union from 88-01 there were some benefits to be had. Most importantly a good pension accrued during that time frame. Another positive was the union reps were always fighting for us to get better wages & medical benefits every 4 yrs. or so when the contract was up. I could see it being a positive thing for the lower tier riders not making the big $..

The big corps didn't like the union & were always looking for ways to break it up. A little history for those that are to young to know. I believe Jimmy Hoffa was the 1st guy to start one to help the little guy against corporate greed..

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

1/12/2019 12:06 PM

Annnnnd it begins...

|

1/12/2019 12:08 PM

MX43- you are getting some sarcastic feedback becuase this topic comes up every year and nothing comes of it.

Top pros like Chad Reed and Trey Canard have used their position to advocate for track safety, but nobody is going to pay those guys even a fraction of what they earn as racers to spearhead a safety committe (let alone a rider's union).

A union is a great concept, but the market dynamics are competely opposed to it.

|

Instagram: @motoxeno

Premium Off-Road Products: www.jcrspeedshop.com

1/12/2019 12:13 PM

You should talk to Jimmy Eickel .

|

1/12/2019 12:14 PM

Teamsters makes a decent amount of money per year on me but i do have a bit more job security. Im not a big union guy but it some instances there isnt much option. It doesnt have to be called a union but the riders do need a collective voice. Maybe they already have one? The only ones that are griping about the payout are the guys that Feld doesnt really care about as long as they have a full gate come race time. If they go triple crown then the privateer payout is almost a mute point.

|

1/12/2019 12:23 PM

mx43 wrote:

I started in the sport in 1974 so have seen it all too but what you are really saying you would rather bitch about it than do something about it, and yes Tickle should be sidelined and same with Stewart. I started racing in 1974 and have see the sport grow and the riders are not being taken advantage of and are doing pretty darn good.

|

Ed Johnson

1/12/2019 12:26 PM

scott_nz wrote:

the fans can't start a riders union, only the riders can, and they have shown little to know interest in doing so over the ...more

That is what the snowflakes don't understand, the riders don't want a riders union so why do the fans ? cool

|

Ed Johnson