Rhetorical question on JT Racing's comeback

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 8:02pm
Okay, I get the nostalgia element to JT Racing's comeback. But...

If it was so awesome before, and everyone loved the gear so much, what happened that they quit making moto gear in the first place, and had to make a comeback?
|
BM255
11/23/2010 1:24am
GuyB wrote:
Okay, I get the nostalgia element to JT Racing's comeback. But... If it was so awesome before, and everyone loved the gear so much, what happened...

If it was so awesome before, and everyone loved the gear so much, what happened that they quit making moto gear in the first place, and had to make a comeback?
Good question GuyB, I have always thought the same thing, one minute it was there and the next it was gone. From what people are saying here it sounded like the new owners weren't too bothered with MX and focused on the paint ball market.
I was a huge fan back in the day so will definately be looking at a set for old times sake.
motogrady
11/23/2010 4:08am
GuyB wrote:
Okay, I get the nostalgia element to JT Racing's comeback. But... If it was so awesome before, and everyone loved the gear so much, what happened...

Burnout?

A coke problem?

The IRS?

A large breasted woman with expensive tastes?

Maybe they didn't want to jump on the pink wagon?

I'm kinda thinking they just could not survive the bubble bursting
in the late 70's.

Anyone remember the White Brothers?

jo2910
11/23/2010 4:15am
I'm not sure about their strategy of going full on retro. For sure people love to go retro once in a while we've seen it with Fox and TLD gear being a success but I thought they would have at least two lines on retro and one new style JT. They say they don't want to go all thrashy, full of colors, skulls (funny when you think it is Ed Hardy) but I can't imagine many teenagers buying their gear. I'm 28 and I can only remember the last few seasons of JT so really the old style they doing are really hitting a nerve with the 30 years old market. Next year I say they are going full on ed hardy style.

One had nailed there. They copied the style fo the old days but merge with new style of Helmet.

Motodude
11/23/2010 4:26am
is a rhetorical question to be answered?

Anyway, the mx bubble burst right around the early '90's when Japan went pop and paintball went large. JT gear was THE best to be had, if you ever had the 80's stuff you wouldnt be asking silly questions.Its not really nostalgia, more about quality, functional mx clothing that didnt look like it came from a fag party.

The Shop

Motodude
11/23/2010 4:46am
Its just out of shot, but there's some sharks under Broc.
BIGHEAD1
11/23/2010 5:20am
Some old guys will buy it, but that's about it. I think it's too retro. This sport is what? 80% kids? They don't give a shit about JT and weren't even born when it went away. I mean they have a bunch of middle aged men talking about how awesome it is in the RacerX video! There couldn't possibly be a better 12-24 customer deterrent than middle aged men. I am sure Kids are going to flock to gear that is endorsed by the dockers and polo crowd. Who ever is behind this I feel is making a big mistake. As Jo said, if they incorporated the old with the new like ONE does/did then it might have taken off.
B DUB 333
11/23/2010 5:24am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
[img]http://resmarket.com/XGames/images/broc_coliseum.jpg[/img]
Sarcasm alert!!!! That's pretty faggy there..... ^ I personally don't think JT picked a great time to redo themselves, crappy economy and its getting worse. I feel they went to paintball because the new owners didn't care about mx, I suppose because they didn't have to sponsor any high dollar paintball stud to promote their clothing. I'm not going to purposely stay away from them but I wont seek it out either, if its on sale, ill buy it. But with the kind of deals I'm seeing out there I don't think their comeback is going to be a success. I wouldn't start a company in this economy period. Is it made in the USA? That may win me over and a few others but that would be about it
Chris_ONeal
11/23/2010 5:58am Edited Date/Time 11/23/2010 5:59am
jo2910 wrote:
I'm not sure about their strategy of going full on retro. For sure people love to go retro once in a while we've seen it with...
I'm not sure about their strategy of going full on retro. For sure people love to go retro once in a while we've seen it with Fox and TLD gear being a success but I thought they would have at least two lines on retro and one new style JT. They say they don't want to go all thrashy, full of colors, skulls (funny when you think it is Ed Hardy) but I can't imagine many teenagers buying their gear. I'm 28 and I can only remember the last few seasons of JT so really the old style they doing are really hitting a nerve with the 30 years old market. Next year I say they are going full on ed hardy style.

One had nailed there. They copied the style fo the old days but merge with new style of Helmet.

I was thinking the same thing.

This gear looked pretty good and had a new style to it. Surprised they didn't do something for the kids?

Photobucket
11/23/2010 6:41am
GuyB wrote:

motogrady wrote:
Burnout? A coke problem? The IRS? A large breasted woman with expensive tastes? Maybe they didn't want to jump on the pink wagon? I'm kinda thinking...

Burnout?

A coke problem?

The IRS?

A large breasted woman with expensive tastes?

Maybe they didn't want to jump on the pink wagon?

I'm kinda thinking they just could not survive the bubble bursting
in the late 70's.

Anyone remember the White Brothers?

They were the driver of the "pink wagon".
KAWboy14
11/23/2010 6:45am Edited Date/Time 11/23/2010 6:46am
GuyB wrote:

i thought it was because they got sick of the "business/whore" side of moto! competing for riders growing wants! the bottom line is no one goes out of business if they are having fun and turning a profit!
KAWboy14
11/23/2010 6:47am
OH and doesnt a rhetorical question mean you dont want an answer?
jeffro503
11/23/2010 6:55am
I had always heard that Mr Gregory stepped away from the "MX " clothing line because there was getting to be to much competition in that market. They sold it to someone , who realized that they were simply KILLING IT in the paint ball scheme of things.....and just dropped the MX thing all together. I don't think there was any hidden agenda or anything like that......it was just a business decision.

I do like the suggestions of the whores and cocaine though.......it spices it up a little. Blink
newmann
11/23/2010 6:57am
Heaven forbid someone or some brand come back to the sport. What good could come from it? Buncha' damn Johnny Come Lately's. LMAO!

kx1984
11/23/2010 6:58am
This stuff with the matching helmet would look killer on a new KX450.

The new stuff would look even better if they could use the names of the companies. That is what is missing!
JustMX
11/23/2010 6:59am
Agree on the economy.

Not sure what they are offering that nobody else aready is.

They had really quality stuffback in their heyday.

That was before everybody went out of country for production.

If they want to set themselves apart from everything available maybe it would take something like a "made in the usa" label or just superior quality to everything else out there.

If they are made in the same factory on a different shift then the other gear companies, then it will take a hell of a lot more than the JT brand to make it.

The domination of Tucker Rocky and Parts unlimited, which both have their own brands, will make it hard to break into dealers as well.

Wish them luck.

I respect those that buck the naysayers and take big risks and secretly hope that they win out in the end.

ATKpilot99
11/23/2010 7:00am
KAWboy14 wrote:
Yes it means you don't expect or necessarily want an answer... but c'mon, this is the vitalmx board. Did anyone think no one would answer??? Now thats a rhetorical question, lol .
robkinuk
11/23/2010 7:11am
kx1984 wrote:
This stuff with the matching helmet would look killer on a new KX450. [IMG]http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o127/kx1984/JTKawasaki.jpg[/IMG] The new stuff would look even better if they could use the...

The new stuff would look even better if they could use the names of the companies. That is what is missing!
Yeah! Why did the gear manufacturers drop motorcycle branding from their gear??
mxrose3
Fantasy
1046th
11/23/2010 7:16am
kx1984 wrote:
This stuff with the matching helmet would look killer on a new KX450. [IMG]http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o127/kx1984/JTKawasaki.jpg[/IMG] The new stuff would look even better if they could use the...

robkinuk wrote:
Maybe because the manufacturers were getting free advertising?
Sparkalounger
11/23/2010 7:35am
JMB did not help the brand over here... no wanted to look like him. Thats when AXO took off, who could beat JMB? Stanton and Bradshaw...

For the record, i have always admired JMB, this was not a personal statement just one of the factors that could of played into dropping sales.
robkinuk
11/23/2010 7:46am
BIGHEAD1 wrote:
Some old guys will buy it, but that's about it. I think it's too retro. This sport is what? 80% kids? They don't give a shit...
Some old guys will buy it, but that's about it. I think it's too retro. This sport is what? 80% kids? They don't give a shit about JT and weren't even born when it went away. I mean they have a bunch of middle aged men talking about how awesome it is in the RacerX video! There couldn't possibly be a better 12-24 customer deterrent than middle aged men. I am sure Kids are going to flock to gear that is endorsed by the dockers and polo crowd. Who ever is behind this I feel is making a big mistake. As Jo said, if they incorporated the old with the new like ONE does/did then it might have taken off.
"Just a bunch of middle aged men!" ???????????? Do you know anything about motocross history and the contribution these heroes made to our sport?

Please learn some respect for past champions in motocross!

I'm glad you don't like the retro branding, because your not fit to wear such classic clothing.
Go back to your flat billed hats, tattoo's & skulls and leave motocross to the real men!
MR50
11/23/2010 7:51am
BIGHEAD1 wrote:
Some old guys will buy it, but that's about it. I think it's too retro. This sport is what? 80% kids? They don't give a shit...
Too bad "YOUTH is wasted on the young".
Tbteam
11/23/2010 7:53am
Other gear companies started coming in to the market with ridiculous offers for riders contracts, gear made overseas, DEEEEEEP pockets, and an agenda to take over.

John and Rita, to very humble and astute business people had an offer that could take care of them for life, and they took it.

The company that bought JT only cared about the paintball side of things and closed down the mx side.

The guys running the mx side now have licensing agreements, or may have purchased the rights outright for mx. Either way, it's a bold step. People make money by taking chances, not by playing follow the leader.
Tbteam
11/23/2010 7:55am
BIGHEAD1 wrote:
So you have personally seen their business plan for the next 24 months then?

Tell me about it. I'd like to know.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
11/23/2010 8:08am
To Guy's question, I think JT lost something in its final couple of years. My formative years of moto were in JT's heyday in the 80's. I always wore JT gear and had a fat #9 on my 1987 KX125 to look like Lechien. By the early 90's the JT stuff just didn't have the same "cool" factor. I wanted to wear AXO and Fox and nothing else. It seems to me like JT tried to change their style to keep up with the AXO's and Fox's of the world, and that gear just wasn't the same JT. They could no longer sell that iconic look of the 70's and 80's.
downandup
11/23/2010 8:12am
KAWboy14 wrote:
Yea, that what I thought, so why is everyone answering?
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
11/23/2010 8:18am
KAWboy14 wrote:
downandup wrote:
Yea, that what I thought, so why is everyone answering?
Kawboy's question was rhetorical, you didn't need to answer.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
719th
kx1984 wrote:

robkinuk wrote:
I would think it would have something to do with people not wanting to only buy gear that matched their bike. If you like yellow, but ride a yamaha, you would be SOL
jasonv43
kx1984 wrote:

Did Jeff Ward always have that blue glow around him? I don't remember seeing that. Silly
Big E
11/23/2010 8:20am
GuyB wrote:

Guy B...Shame on you for being rhetorical! You firestarter you!

Post a reply to: Rhetorical question on JT Racing's comeback

The Latest