Reno Endurocross, Round 2 Bench Racing Thread

BAMX
9/24/2017 9:56am
There were some good moments for Ty last night. I'm sure getting the start over Colton was rewarding after the way the Colton chopped him off...
There were some good moments for Ty last night. I'm sure getting the start over Colton was rewarding after the way the Colton chopped him off at Vegas on the bracket race. His ride against Geoff Aaron was one of the better races of the night. I could tell he was favoring his leg in the main, hope it's nothing serious.

The joker lane is not working out. I don't give Colton a pass for hitting riders twice while they were turning in, no excuse. I'd like to see it be a more difficult shortcut optional line for those that choose to try it.
You should really watch the race again if you don't give Colton a pass on the No Joke lane incidents. Colton is coming down the inside...
You should really watch the race again if you don't give Colton a pass on the No Joke lane incidents. Colton is coming down the inside of the turn and the guys entering in front are wide and then turn 90. No way he knows they are going to lock on the brakes and turn like that.

Great job on those screen shots. I agree to disagree, Colton doesn't get the benefit of the doubt anymore when he rides like a drunken fool...
Great job on those screen shots. I agree to disagree, Colton doesn't get the benefit of the doubt anymore when he rides like a drunken fool. He did it TWICE, so he has no one to blame but himself especially the 2nd time. He is supposed to be the ultimate professional, we've all seen the videos of trick riding and there may be no one that has better bike control than him. He put himself in that trap by going for a take out pass.
Those crashes were all the track builders fault. You have to take that tire straight on and the only way they could do that was to square up from the middle of the track. I get that you hate Colton but I think that you are way off base here.
Johnny Depp
9/24/2017 12:42pm
I realize the entrance was sketchy, how many other rider's had that problem running into the back of someone twice? He might have had a loose nut behind the handlebars.
9/24/2017 12:49pm
Only loose nut was in the head of whoever decided to put the no joke lane like that, I'd be genuinely surprised if there weren't more incidents like that. As for Coltons riding with the lappers IMO there's not much else he could have done, it's either sit behind them or make something happen. Pretty sure anyone going for a title would choose the same option he did.
9/24/2017 1:06pm
Only loose nut was in the head of whoever decided to put the no joke lane like that, I'd be genuinely surprised if there weren't more...
Only loose nut was in the head of whoever decided to put the no joke lane like that, I'd be genuinely surprised if there weren't more incidents like that. As for Coltons riding with the lappers IMO there's not much else he could have done, it's either sit behind them or make something happen. Pretty sure anyone going for a title would choose the same option he did.
x2

The Shop

Johnny Depp
9/24/2017 1:16pm
The good news is we are talking about it and this sport is supposed to be entertaining, I'm all good with that.

The problem I have with Colton, is he is endangering others, even if he doesn't worry about himself. Outside of danger is the sense of fair play. I'm well aware this is a sport in close quarters and that means riders will get together. He has taken it upon himself to become a one man wrecking ball, I'd have to watch again, but during the night he had between 5 and 10 incidents where he was the cause. Same thing at Vegas if not more. It appears there will be no referee's or warnings, so the gloves are off and he is turning it into a bare knuckle street fight. If that is the kind of rider Husqvarna and Rockstar want to have represent them, then they should not say a word to him. It is highly unusual to have fans booing riders on the podium.

Outside of all my bitching about something that was fun to watch, he is his own worst enemy. He likely would have won the race if he had just been patient and kept it on 2 wheels instead of being on the ground lap after lap. If he even has a team mgr. they might have some advice on that subject.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
9/24/2017 4:18pm
Ok, so I don't dislike Colton. I dislike riding like a combination of Bam Bam Barcia and Vince Friese on a tight race course, especially if people get hurt. I get that it's a tight course, but amazingly the other riders don't have the same issue Colton does. So here's my question (I'll get to it eventually). Destry mentioned "the rivalry" between Colton and Cody - and he said it was "real". Cody talked on the podium after his head to head race about Colton "riding dirty" and "what goes around, comes around", etc. Then there was the main where Colton was playing bumper cars. I don't think Colton is a bad kid and he is WAY talented, but this seems to me like its fabricated drama to get interest in the sport. Does anybody else feel that way? On the podium after the races, Colton and Cody were totally yucking it up and laughing like they were good buddies. Then the podium discussions in Vegas were almost bazaar. Cody is about as nice of a guy as you can get. I don't think Colton is a bad kid either. Is this an attempt to gain interest in the sport? Man I hope that's not the case. I love watching EX and want it to take off on it's own with the whole WWE effect.
9/24/2017 4:35pm
Poor layout for the joker land. and anyone who has raced knows how hard it is to predict what a rider is going to let especially in a corner like that.

But the other riding in the main was a bit weird. Seemed like he panicked and went crazy and ended up losing more time.

Would be hard with lappers not moving and everyone wanting the same line. But Colton is doing one thing and thats getting people talking about the races, riders and sponsors which is good for the sport.
JM485
9/24/2017 7:59pm
TbonesPop wrote:
Ok, so I don't dislike Colton. I dislike riding like a combination of Bam Bam Barcia and Vince Friese on a tight race course, especially if...
Ok, so I don't dislike Colton. I dislike riding like a combination of Bam Bam Barcia and Vince Friese on a tight race course, especially if people get hurt. I get that it's a tight course, but amazingly the other riders don't have the same issue Colton does. So here's my question (I'll get to it eventually). Destry mentioned "the rivalry" between Colton and Cody - and he said it was "real". Cody talked on the podium after his head to head race about Colton "riding dirty" and "what goes around, comes around", etc. Then there was the main where Colton was playing bumper cars. I don't think Colton is a bad kid and he is WAY talented, but this seems to me like its fabricated drama to get interest in the sport. Does anybody else feel that way? On the podium after the races, Colton and Cody were totally yucking it up and laughing like they were good buddies. Then the podium discussions in Vegas were almost bazaar. Cody is about as nice of a guy as you can get. I don't think Colton is a bad kid either. Is this an attempt to gain interest in the sport? Man I hope that's not the case. I love watching EX and want it to take off on it's own with the whole WWE effect.
I think it kind of comes down to how professional they both actually are, I think they're able to leave the rivalry on the track and keep things friendly off the track. It's not like moto and supercross, the off-road guys I think have a lot more respect for each other and conduct themselves a little differently, and I think that's what makes it so cool. I've talked to both of them and from what I can tell they're both nice people, they just have VERY different approaches to riding and marketing themselves.

As for fabricated drama, I don't at all think that is going on from the series itself, there is way too much going on in these races to be able to control what happens out on that track. It's seriously chaos out there on a level that TV will never even get close to showing. I do, however, think Colton is kind of playing a part on his own to help grow his brand and bring some recognition to the races. He's always been extremely aggressive and his own worst enemy at times, but it seems like he's really come out swinging this year and it's back firing a little bit. Endurocross fans aren't stupid though, they remember stuff like this and I don't think it's appealing to a whole lot of people. That's just my take though, my untalented ass is in no position to be critiquing what these guys do so take it for what it's worth, I'm a fan of both and can respect both of their approaches.
9/24/2017 8:26pm
The good news is we are talking about it and this sport is supposed to be entertaining, I'm all good with that. The problem I have...
The good news is we are talking about it and this sport is supposed to be entertaining, I'm all good with that.

The problem I have with Colton, is he is endangering others, even if he doesn't worry about himself. Outside of danger is the sense of fair play. I'm well aware this is a sport in close quarters and that means riders will get together. He has taken it upon himself to become a one man wrecking ball, I'd have to watch again, but during the night he had between 5 and 10 incidents where he was the cause. Same thing at Vegas if not more. It appears there will be no referee's or warnings, so the gloves are off and he is turning it into a bare knuckle street fight. If that is the kind of rider Husqvarna and Rockstar want to have represent them, then they should not say a word to him. It is highly unusual to have fans booing riders on the podium.

Outside of all my bitching about something that was fun to watch, he is his own worst enemy. He likely would have won the race if he had just been patient and kept it on 2 wheels instead of being on the ground lap after lap. If he even has a team mgr. they might have some advice on that subject.
You make some very good points, I definitely can't sit here and act as if I'm 100% fine with some of his actions.

Like you said though, at the end of the day it's entertainment and that's never a bad thing.
ccullins76
9/24/2017 8:37pm
TbonesPop wrote:
Ok, so I don't dislike Colton. I dislike riding like a combination of Bam Bam Barcia and Vince Friese on a tight race course, especially if...
It's definitely a real rivalry. These two are not chummy or have I even seen them talk to each other off the track in awhile (besides the podium). They used to be pretty good friends riding trials together and started with Endurocross around the same time and trained together at first, but those days are long past. Not friends anymore and Cody was genuinely mad after Vegas.

TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
9/24/2017 9:01pm
TbonesPop wrote:
ccullins76 wrote:
It's definitely a real rivalry. These two are not chummy or have I even seen them talk to each other off the track in awhile (besides...
It's definitely a real rivalry. These two are not chummy or have I even seen them talk to each other off the track in awhile (besides the podium). They used to be pretty good friends riding trials together and started with Endurocross around the same time and trained together at first, but those days are long past. Not friends anymore and Cody was genuinely mad after Vegas.

Thanks, appreciate the first hand insider knowledge! Cody strikes me as a really good guy and I don't think Colton is a bad guy either. I love EX and can't wait til Oct 28!
TomZ
Fantasy
4428th
9/25/2017 1:42pm
You should really watch the race again if you don't give Colton a pass on the No Joke lane incidents. Colton is coming down the inside...
You should really watch the race again if you don't give Colton a pass on the No Joke lane incidents. Colton is coming down the inside of the turn and the guys entering in front are wide and then turn 90. No way he knows they are going to lock on the brakes and turn like that.

Great job on those screen shots. I agree to disagree, Colton doesn't get the benefit of the doubt anymore when he rides like a drunken fool...
Great job on those screen shots. I agree to disagree, Colton doesn't get the benefit of the doubt anymore when he rides like a drunken fool. He did it TWICE, so he has no one to blame but himself especially the 2nd time. He is supposed to be the ultimate professional, we've all seen the videos of trick riding and there may be no one that has better bike control than him. He put himself in that trap by going for a take out pass.
BAMX wrote:
Those crashes were all the track builders fault. You have to take that tire straight on and the only way they could do that was to...
Those crashes were all the track builders fault. You have to take that tire straight on and the only way they could do that was to square up from the middle of the track. I get that you hate Colton but I think that you are way off base here.
To clarify a couple points - Colton is a really good guy that really wants to win.

It is hard to blame him for those incidents and it is quite foolish to blame the track builder or design unless you rode the track. There was lots of room on the inside to make that cut into the no joke lane.

I can tell you first hand that everyone had safety on their mind. In that photo is John Gallagher, Eric Peronnard and myself. We were watching it closely.

We will always make an adjustment in the name of safety and will look at the course design in Denver with an eye toward safety for the racers.

Thanks to everyone who joined us in Reno.

Johnny Depp
9/25/2017 2:34pm Edited Date/Time 9/25/2017 2:37pm
Tom, thanks for reaching out. We always say that the industry watches VitalMX, things like this prove it.

I am a passionate advocate of Endurocross, you may have noticed that I do my best to bring awareness here.
As excited as I was for a format change, in practice after 2 races I am disappointed, mainly because it is so confusing. Mind you, I am not some passing spectator, and I am still confused. I'm sure you're aware that there are constant discussion's about the SX format also. I realize that a commitment was made to a format, but you seem to be open to feedback or you wouldn't be here. I believe Endurocross is small enough to make changes and adjustments mid stream.

Seeding 8 into the main is cheating the fans who want to see them ride. 1 lap races for gate position are entertaining, but gate picks have very little value in Endurocross. With as few Pro's as there are available to fill the gate, a multi moto format seems tailor made for Endurocross so that we can see the top rider's in races that matter.

If you check the SX thread, the Joker lane gets no love. I would suggest that if you want the pro's challenged, and the amateurs to come out, the Joker lane should be used for every lap on the pro's, and be really hard. I get that the idea is to create track position drama, it just seems like you are trying too hard to manufacture it.

I do believe as your guest does, that Endurocross does provide the most passes, lead changes and excitement of any form of 2 wheeled sport. I do believe it has the potential for a larger growth as a result of that. It doesn't have to be a niche sport.

1 night of racing and 2 nights of questioning the Champion's riding style or officiating are only a small part of the subject.
TomZ
Fantasy
4428th
9/25/2017 4:10pm
Tom, thanks for reaching out. We always say that the industry watches VitalMX, things like this prove it. I am a passionate advocate of Endurocross, you...
Tom, thanks for reaching out. We always say that the industry watches VitalMX, things like this prove it.

I am a passionate advocate of Endurocross, you may have noticed that I do my best to bring awareness here.
As excited as I was for a format change, in practice after 2 races I am disappointed, mainly because it is so confusing. Mind you, I am not some passing spectator, and I am still confused. I'm sure you're aware that there are constant discussion's about the SX format also. I realize that a commitment was made to a format, but you seem to be open to feedback or you wouldn't be here. I believe Endurocross is small enough to make changes and adjustments mid stream.

Seeding 8 into the main is cheating the fans who want to see them ride. 1 lap races for gate position are entertaining, but gate picks have very little value in Endurocross. With as few Pro's as there are available to fill the gate, a multi moto format seems tailor made for Endurocross so that we can see the top rider's in races that matter.

If you check the SX thread, the Joker lane gets no love. I would suggest that if you want the pro's challenged, and the amateurs to come out, the Joker lane should be used for every lap on the pro's, and be really hard. I get that the idea is to create track position drama, it just seems like you are trying too hard to manufacture it.

I do believe as your guest does, that Endurocross does provide the most passes, lead changes and excitement of any form of 2 wheeled sport. I do believe it has the potential for a larger growth as a result of that. It doesn't have to be a niche sport.

1 night of racing and 2 nights of questioning the Champion's riding style or officiating are only a small part of the subject.
Johnny Depp........here we go......applying logic, positive suggestions and a clearly explained approach......next thing you will be offering to help move rocks !!!

I know you have been a supporter ( not that anyone looks at Vital) and it is appreciated.

The reason for some format changes this year have been to put the riders on the track more often in a "racing situation".

Your points are not unreasonable. We are committed to the format and I think you will find it makes for an exciting championship run. What the racers/ teams think is important and we listen then consider how to adjust.

The Bonnier Group and all of us directly involved are working very hard to make Endurocross something very special. As DC or many other people here will tell you ....it is a methodical process that requires unending work and constant thought on how to make it better.

Thank you for the input.
TomZ
Fantasy
4428th
9/25/2017 4:40pm
This may help explain how the system works -

EnduroCross Night Show Flow Chart

How do qualify for the Super EnduroCross main?
IRVINE, CALIF. (September 21, 2017) – To boost the excitement of EnduroCross, some changes were made to the night show qualification process. This format now has the top Super EnduroCross (Pro) riders facing off three times during the evening. This played out well in Las Vegas, where Colton Haaker and Cody Webb traded barbs in the qualifier, bracket race and again in the main event.

The new format also allows for the top Amateur and Vet riders to earn a spot in the Super EnduroCross main event. For the Amateur and Vet riders, it is optional to accept the opportunity to race the Super EnduroCross main and any rider that enters the top twenty in Super EnduroCross points becomes ineligible for the Amateur or Vet classes.

To help make it easier for the riders and fans to follow the new format, we have created a flow chart that shows all of the night show racing.

9/25/2017 5:37pm
I signed up for the challenge, and it was challenging.

I'm not looking to qualify or go pro, just to have some fun! and fun it was.

All you moto guys should really try one of these.
Ted722
9/25/2017 5:56pm
I think it's great that the Amateurs are there. Some wanting to go Pro, some are wanting to survive! Woohoo It no doubt adds to the show. So difficult to have a course that can accommodate both (Pro and Am), but Endurocross does a good job of it. I like seeing the contrast between Am and Pro and it gives a true appreciation of how good they really are. Nice that they have a live feed, but you really have to see it in person. So much going on at every part of the track. Glad we went to Reno.
ccullins76
9/25/2017 6:14pm
Tom, thanks for reaching out. We always say that the industry watches VitalMX, things like this prove it. I am a passionate advocate of Endurocross, you...

One thing I will correct you on, gate pick is extremely important in Ex! The strart straight is extremely short and usually it's a 180 turn and when we have a 90 like this weekend it's still extremely tight. It's rare to see anybody outside the first 3 gate picks get the holeshot (I know it happened this week). In fact if your gate pick 8 on back it works out better being on the back row because you can duck to the inside and find a hole.

While I might not have ridden the track I was right in front of the joker lane in the mechanics area, my son did race it and I talked to other riders so hopefully it's not foolish for me to say the joker lane was in a REALLY bad place. Riders had to square up to take it, they couldn't just come down the inside. My kid saw one of Colton's crashes there and was looking over his shoulder when he took the joker lane, he shouldn't have to do that.

The new format totally make sense to me, but we live and breath EX. I think the fact that there was a need for a chart just shows how hard it is to follow. As a wise man in the industry once told me, if it takes more than two sentences to explain something you've lost half your audience.

I just read my post back to myself and boy do I sound negative, LOL! Which isn't the case at all, we're ready to get to Denver for more racing! Hopefully we'll find a nice hard matrix there Smile The amateurs can have pallets between them.
9/25/2017 10:58pm Edited Date/Time 9/25/2017 11:07pm
ccullins76 wrote:
One thing I will correct you on, gate pick is extremely important in Ex! The strart straight is extremely short and usually it's a 180 turn...
One thing I will correct you on, gate pick is extremely important in Ex! The strart straight is extremely short and usually it's a 180 turn and when we have a 90 like this weekend it's still extremely tight. It's rare to see anybody outside the first 3 gate picks get the holeshot (I know it happened this week). In fact if your gate pick 8 on back it works out better being on the back row because you can duck to the inside and find a hole.

While I might not have ridden the track I was right in front of the joker lane in the mechanics area, my son did race it and I talked to other riders so hopefully it's not foolish for me to say the joker lane was in a REALLY bad place. Riders had to square up to take it, they couldn't just come down the inside. My kid saw one of Colton's crashes there and was looking over his shoulder when he took the joker lane, he shouldn't have to do that.

The new format totally make sense to me, but we live and breath EX. I think the fact that there was a need for a chart just shows how hard it is to follow. As a wise man in the industry once told me, if it takes more than two sentences to explain something you've lost half your audience.

I just read my post back to myself and boy do I sound negative, LOL! Which isn't the case at all, we're ready to get to Denver for more racing! Hopefully we'll find a nice hard matrix there Smile The amateurs can have pallets between them.
Geez I'm glad your here because it's nice to know there are other people that know what's going on.

TomZ. The entrance of the no joke lane was at the bottom of the biggest jumps landing and on the start of the apex to a sweeping turn. Guys are going to land and get on the gas and shoot down the inside to hit the apex of the turn. How is that not the track builders fault. While on the subject of the no joke, all you guys are doing is wasting needed floor space for 1 lap of the entire night. The no joke hasn't played into any of the results so far
DannoJ919
9/26/2017 8:30pm
I think he can blame the track builders. He is landing, entering the turn on the gas because he is trying to move forward and they...
I think he can blame the track builders. He is landing, entering the turn on the gas because he is trying to move forward and they put the entrance in a completely sketchy part of the track. The entrance is almost right at the bottom of the landing.
bartziokas123
I helped with the track build and we all walked passed that for days and missed it. When Colton hit Cody there I asked myself how the hell I didn't see that coming. I also looked at the Denver plan to make sure we don't get that situation again. Your looking at a million things getting the track done and you think you have it all covered.

Dan
Johnny Depp
9/26/2017 8:51pm
Dan, It's nice you said that, but even Colton admitted in the interview it was his own fault.

How many other incidents happened there besides his? None that were on the stream.
9/26/2017 9:10pm
Dan, It's nice you said that, but even Colton admitted in the interview it was his own fault. How many other incidents happened there besides his...
Dan, It's nice you said that, but even Colton admitted in the interview it was his own fault.

How many other incidents happened there besides his? None that were on the stream.
Dan seems to own up to it being a oversight in the build, I don't see why you keep on defending it like it wasn't a bad spot to have it. You have made it clear that you don't like Colton, we got it.
DannoJ919
9/26/2017 9:18pm
Dan, It's nice you said that, but even Colton admitted in the interview it was his own fault. How many other incidents happened there besides his...

Johnny Depp,
I don't know if there were more incidents or not. Colton can say it was his fault. But I can tell you there wont be another set up to the no joke lane like that. The purpose of the no joke lane is to be a lot slower than the main line to help initiate passes in the main. That one you had to go into very slow and the angle you needed to take was 90 degrees to the main track.

Thanks.
Johnny Depp
9/26/2017 9:34pm

Dan seems to own up to it being a oversight in the build, I don't see why you keep on defending it like it wasn't a...
Dan seems to own up to it being a oversight in the build, I don't see why you keep on defending it like it wasn't a bad spot to have it. You have made it clear that you don't like Colton, we got it.
I said above it was sketchy. Every rider rode the same track. I never said I don't like Colton, he is perhaps the best in the world at what he does and I am a fan. That doesn't stop me from calling it like I see it when he is riding over his head and knocking other riders down like that is the objective. We all heard the booing, I am not alone in my assessment of his recent "racing".

Post a reply to: Reno Endurocross, Round 2 Bench Racing Thread

The Latest