Pourcel - 2015?

wow123
Posts
1162
Joined
4/27/2010
Location
AX
5/22/2014 6:27am
I've never been a hardcore fan for any single racer. In fact, I'm just a hardcore fan for a sport club that has handball, basketball, hockey...
I've never been a hardcore fan for any single racer. In fact, I'm just a hardcore fan for a sport club that has handball, basketball, hockey and football sections. Then, I don't enjoy the show as long as I'm too nervous for the win.

In dirtbikes, which is one of my true passions, I love watching a race where I want everybody to win. I enjoy RV winning as much as I want Stewart to win, or Roczen, or Dungey, or whoever else. Maybe I won't cheer for those riders who are messing around, but still a race is a race.

And, really, put yourself in Christophe position. Paralyzed and in pain for months due to an accident that had nothing but casuality. And come back, and win, TWICE the supercross lites title. And then ALMOST winning the Lites Nationals TWICE.

And he approaches his life reaaally different, and doesn't race if he doesn't feel comfortable.

And there is an idiot who calls him a prick. Damn, If I would never a racer to win a national championship, that would be Christophe Pourcel.
The first 2 paragraphs are spot on and how I see the sport.

Wish more saw it that way!

I hope he does well, well enough to keep a ride and be happy as well as silence the haters.
KlootZak
Posts
1324
Joined
7/15/2012
Location
Brussels, BE
5/22/2014 6:33am
TMV wrote:
That's what he said in lebigusa site interview a few days ago. Because of Villopoto and would have prefered Ryan to tell him why because I...
That's what he said in lebigusa site interview a few days ago. Because of Villopoto and would have prefered Ryan to tell him why because I think they got along quite well at that time...
I hate that you have to pay to view interviews on their website Pinch It looks quite interesting though ...
Jarid332
Posts
5360
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Somewhere north of Toronto, CA
Fantasy
5/22/2014 6:52am
Hopefully pourcell lands a 450 contract next year, i read somewhere that the reason he didn't get Jw12's spot at kawi was because of RV, apparently...
Hopefully pourcell lands a 450 contract next year, i read somewhere that the reason he didn't get Jw12's spot at kawi was because of RV, apparently RV didnt want him on the team
jamma10 wrote:
That factory Kawi ride should have been CP's all day long! [img]https://motocross.transworld.net/files/2009/09/10/dungey-pourcel-lookback-001-rs.jpg[/img]
That factory Kawi ride should have been CP's all day long!

I think the reason was CP and his Agent priced themselves out. Like Matthes said on the 250 preview podcast he should have signed with Geico instead of Motoconcepts back in 2011.
TMV
Posts
1762
Joined
3/17/2009
Location
FR
5/22/2014 7:06am
TMV wrote:
That's what he said in lebigusa site interview a few days ago. Because of Villopoto and would have prefered Ryan to tell him why because I...
That's what he said in lebigusa site interview a few days ago. Because of Villopoto and would have prefered Ryan to tell him why because I think they got along quite well at that time...
KlootZak wrote:
I hate that you have to pay to view interviews on their website Pinch It looks quite interesting though ...
I can see what you mean. I didn't pay for it, someone posted a screenshot of the interview on our french board but dude had to erase it which is quite understandable...

The Shop

Ing
Posts
3654
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Spring Hill, FL, USA
5/22/2014 7:40am
Not a big Pourcel fan myself. Awesome rider BUT, a premadona in my eyes. I don't have to like him and I don't. Has nothing to do with education on my part. I simply like other riders better. Hey I'm an American and I pull for American riders. If that makes me a prick, so be it.
jamma10
Posts
10573
Joined
8/24/2008
Location
Bristol, GB
5/22/2014 7:54am Edited Date/Time 5/22/2014 8:00am
Jarid332 wrote:
I think the reason was CP and his Agent priced themselves out. Like Matthes said on the 250 preview podcast he should have signed with Geico...
I think the reason was CP and his Agent priced themselves out. Like Matthes said on the 250 preview podcast he should have signed with Geico instead of Motoconcepts back in 2011.
Did they though? This is very much the crux of the whole thing and still a bit of a grey area as far as I know.

It was my understanding that he was wanted a deal that matched his closest competitors who would then have been; Stewart, RV, Dungey, Reed, Canard. Maybe Weimer didn't expect as much, but Pourcel was more decorated than Weimer and he probably felt Kawasaki owed him something after delivering a World title, x2 East Coast SX titles and countless Outdoor National overalls. In his mind he was equal to Dungey or Canard who were both offered Factory rides. Somewhere along the line holding out for an equal footing to those guys was seen to be being greedy. It was probably partly his own fault for being stubborn and refusing to accept nothing less, but can you really blame the guy?

I agree he should probably have taken the Geico ride instead of MCR, but to me the fact that he returned, or refused Mike Genovas cheque after that whole debacle kind of contradicts the speculation about him chasing the money.

I like Matthes and I enjoy his podcasts, but he has not hidden his dislike of Pourcel in recent years. Like most others his dissaproval appears to stem from Pourcels quirky and bolshie personality and it's pretty obvious CP doesn't enjoy the media spotlight as others do. Trey Canard (and his mum) and Mitch Payton all seem to have nothing but good things to say about the guy. Gaultier Paulin not so much, so he just splits opinion.
TMV
Posts
1762
Joined
3/17/2009
Location
FR
5/22/2014 8:16am
jamma10 wrote:
Did they though? This is very much the crux of the whole thing and still a bit of a grey area as far as I know...
Did they though? This is very much the crux of the whole thing and still a bit of a grey area as far as I know.

It was my understanding that he was wanted a deal that matched his closest competitors who would then have been; Stewart, RV, Dungey, Reed, Canard. Maybe Weimer didn't expect as much, but Pourcel was more decorated than Weimer and he probably felt Kawasaki owed him something after delivering a World title, x2 East Coast SX titles and countless Outdoor National overalls. In his mind he was equal to Dungey or Canard who were both offered Factory rides. Somewhere along the line holding out for an equal footing to those guys was seen to be being greedy. It was probably partly his own fault for being stubborn and refusing to accept nothing less, but can you really blame the guy?

I agree he should probably have taken the Geico ride instead of MCR, but to me the fact that he returned, or refused Mike Genovas cheque after that whole debacle kind of contradicts the speculation about him chasing the money.

I like Matthes and I enjoy his podcasts, but he has not hidden his dislike of Pourcel in recent years. Like most others his dissaproval appears to stem from Pourcels quirky and bolshie personality and it's pretty obvious CP doesn't enjoy the media spotlight as others do. Trey Canard (and his mum) and Mitch Payton all seem to have nothing but good things to say about the guy. Gaultier Paulin not so much, so he just splits opinion.
In the interview he said he didn't like the Geico bike...
jamma10
Posts
10573
Joined
8/24/2008
Location
Bristol, GB
5/22/2014 8:26am
TMV wrote:
In the interview he said he didn't like the Geico bike...
I was going to write that, but it became pretty obvious that the bikes were good so he would have been better off signing for them and making it work for him instead of opting to ride a Yamaha which was universally disliked in the end.

But thats all very well in hindsight.
5/22/2014 2:04pm
Hopefully pourcell lands a 450 contract next year, i read somewhere that the reason he didn't get Jw12's spot at kawi was because of RV, apparently...
Hopefully pourcell lands a 450 contract next year, i read somewhere that the reason he didn't get Jw12's spot at kawi was because of RV, apparently RV didnt want him on the team
TMV wrote:
That's what he said in lebigusa site interview a few days ago. Because of Villopoto and would have prefered Ryan to tell him why because I...
That's what he said in lebigusa site interview a few days ago. Because of Villopoto and would have prefered Ryan to tell him why because I think they got along quite well at that time...
Hi TMV ! Surprising indeed, I remember them joking in the dirt shark etc. Maybe RV kinda thought it was more risky, in term of results, to recap, Stewart, when asked on tv who would be his biggest threat he answered Pourcel, but also in term of atmosphere, Stanton & Bayle were not at the beginning mad at each other. Some rivalry like RD & KR would have been more crazy between a super agressive hunter & a stubborn & a bit introvert Marseille guy Smile In all cases, it shows the big guns (RV & JS7) were considering the talent.

Let us hope it is good for us to have Pourcel back, to see good battles, we like him or not it is normal everyone prefers this or this rider, anyway, it brings an interesting factory effort, makes the lites nationals even more stacked & as usual in the recent years, puts more legitimity as the #1 lites series globally. Good for us, especially with the opening at GH, which for me is the craziest track globally ! I can't wait !
5/22/2014 3:35pm
always makes me wonder what might have been had he got the kawi ride, maybe RV and RD wouldn't have so many titles.

Did anyone catch this article on RACERXthat pingree wrote about pourcel and outdoors practice back in 2009.

i was sitting with Mitch watching practice and Pourcel rolled by, standing up and going at half-speed. He had been doing that all day and for the past two months according to those who have seen him. Mitch offered this:

"He used to do that with me all the time. One day we were out here testing at Glen Helen and he just wouldn't put a lap together. He said the bike was no good and the track was no good—he was really frustrated. At the very end of the day we hadn't gotten far with Pourcel because he wouldn't ride hard and he just kept saying the track was stupid and wasn't like anything we would race on. I told him we just needed him to try some clamps and tell us if they were bad, good or no different. All I wanted was two good laps from him. He said, "Just two laps?" I told him that was all I wanted. Just give us something to leave here feeling good about. So he pulled on his helmet and went out but he wasn't happy about it. At that point Chad Reed, who was riding for Suzuki, had the quickest lap time of the day. Pourcel went out and just dropped the hammer and beat it by two seconds. All the guys on the team were high-fiving and pumped. When he came in I told him that was awesome and told him his lap time. He pulled his helmet off and said, "What, did you think I wasn't good?" That's just the way he is. He is so talented he can turn it on and be the fastest guy out there any time he really wants to."
machine
Posts
6404
Joined
1/5/2011
Location
Collettsville, NC, USA
5/22/2014 6:16pm
I think the knock on CP was that he had that condition that made him overheat during the nationals and could only produce one good moto. I'm guessing that teams figured that would be amplified on a 450. I'm thinking that's why they didn't want to pay him top dollar...who knows for sure....
5/23/2014 1:48am
always makes me wonder what might have been had he got the kawi ride, maybe RV and RD wouldn't have so many titles. Did anyone catch...
always makes me wonder what might have been had he got the kawi ride, maybe RV and RD wouldn't have so many titles.

Did anyone catch this article on RACERXthat pingree wrote about pourcel and outdoors practice back in 2009.

i was sitting with Mitch watching practice and Pourcel rolled by, standing up and going at half-speed. He had been doing that all day and for the past two months according to those who have seen him. Mitch offered this:

"He used to do that with me all the time. One day we were out here testing at Glen Helen and he just wouldn't put a lap together. He said the bike was no good and the track was no good—he was really frustrated. At the very end of the day we hadn't gotten far with Pourcel because he wouldn't ride hard and he just kept saying the track was stupid and wasn't like anything we would race on. I told him we just needed him to try some clamps and tell us if they were bad, good or no different. All I wanted was two good laps from him. He said, "Just two laps?" I told him that was all I wanted. Just give us something to leave here feeling good about. So he pulled on his helmet and went out but he wasn't happy about it. At that point Chad Reed, who was riding for Suzuki, had the quickest lap time of the day. Pourcel went out and just dropped the hammer and beat it by two seconds. All the guys on the team were high-fiving and pumped. When he came in I told him that was awesome and told him his lap time. He pulled his helmet off and said, "What, did you think I wasn't good?" That's just the way he is. He is so talented he can turn it on and be the fastest guy out there any time he really wants to."
Funny story for sure. A sort of french J-law except that he is very serious/ambitious when racing.
TMV
Posts
1762
Joined
3/17/2009
Location
FR
5/23/2014 1:58am Edited Date/Time 5/23/2014 2:01am
Funny story for sure. A sort of french J-law except that he is very serious/ambitious when racing.
Juts like when he let the CLS crew down and the third place to Paulin cause he didn't want to go and race in the last round of the championship in Germany cause he was pissed his contract was over?
5/23/2014 2:56am
Would JGR not be a good fit for Pourcel ?
5/23/2014 3:00am
Funny story for sure. A sort of french J-law except that he is very serious/ambitious when racing.
TMV wrote:
Juts like when he let the CLS crew down and the third place to Paulin cause he didn't want to go and race in the last...
Juts like when he let the CLS crew down and the third place to Paulin cause he didn't want to go and race in the last round of the championship in Germany cause he was pissed his contract was over?
I would have done the same Smile (& he was not at 100% with his shoulder injury from the British GP, that is where he actually lost his 3rd place)
TMV
Posts
1762
Joined
3/17/2009
Location
FR
5/23/2014 3:19am Edited Date/Time 5/23/2014 3:48am
Funny story for sure. A sort of french J-law except that he is very serious/ambitious when racing.
TMV wrote:
Juts like when he let the CLS crew down and the third place to Paulin cause he didn't want to go and race in the last...
Juts like when he let the CLS crew down and the third place to Paulin cause he didn't want to go and race in the last round of the championship in Germany cause he was pissed his contract was over?
I would have done the same :) (& he was not at 100% with his shoulder injury from the British GP, that is where he actually...
I would have done the same Smile (& he was not at 100% with his shoulder injury from the British GP, that is where he actually lost his 3rd place)
You seem to be a guy we can rely on...

You must be right, best way to thank CLS for the investment be it the money or the time and save his ass when he got nothing after the MotoConcepts collapse. Two teams let down in one year, good average. And of course, not his fault... again...
5/23/2014 5:24am
I am pretty stubborn too Smile With me it has to be a win/win, otherwise I prefer to go in a lose/lose than a win/lose situation.

I think he was upset about Kawi, not CLS. I do not know how people enjoy their notice period but at this level & with the risks they take, after 3 championships & almost 5 whereas Paulin so far has none, I would not have enjoyed. Plus it was the 2nd time with Kawi after the US episode.

But I get your point, in term of image & PR, it can improve, he is not like KR. Let us hope it works out this year, I like both CP & Yamaha so I have to rely on moto gods Smile
TMV
Posts
1762
Joined
3/17/2009
Location
FR
5/23/2014 7:10am Edited Date/Time 5/23/2014 7:13am
edited Smile
Are you serious? I know you guys like Pourcel but come on, no need to make up stories like these to defend him, know your facts, you can't be more wrong. Townley hurt himself and CLS were looking for a rider. Christophe came with his millstone of a brother in his bag and made it a clause to his contract. As for the Kawi factory support and parts, he said an unmeasarable amount of time he wanted the bike pretty stock and it was good enough for him...
5/23/2014 7:16am
edited Smile
TMV wrote:
Are you serious? I know you guys like Pourcel but come on, no need to make up stories like these to defend him, know your facts...
Are you serious? I know you guys like Pourcel but come on, no need to make up stories like these to defend him, know your facts, you can't be more wrong. Townley hurt himself and CLS were looking for a rider. Christophe came with his millstone of a brother in his bag and made it a clause to his contract. As for the Kawi factory support and parts, he said an unmeasarable amount of time he wanted the bike pretty stock and it was good enough for him...
fair enough i stand corrected ! i'm a fan no need to get excited
TMV
Posts
1762
Joined
3/17/2009
Location
FR
5/23/2014 7:33am
edited Smile
TMV wrote:
Are you serious? I know you guys like Pourcel but come on, no need to make up stories like these to defend him, know your facts...
Are you serious? I know you guys like Pourcel but come on, no need to make up stories like these to defend him, know your facts, you can't be more wrong. Townley hurt himself and CLS were looking for a rider. Christophe came with his millstone of a brother in his bag and made it a clause to his contract. As for the Kawi factory support and parts, he said an unmeasarable amount of time he wanted the bike pretty stock and it was good enough for him...
fair enough i stand corrected ! i'm a fan no need to get excited
Sorry mate, no hard feelings... Wink
5/23/2014 7:35am
There is no way that bike he was on was competitive with the works bikes... they did no testing in the sand or softer terrain. It was still a good season. He was the second best guy for a lot of it but had some horrible races that ruined his points standings.
davistld01
Posts
9364
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Springfield, MO, USA
5/23/2014 7:36am
moto111 wrote:
Would JGR not be a good fit for Pourcel ?
JGR is a very stuctured team, and I doubt that the Gibbs' would cater to a guy like Pourcel who seems to dance to his own drummer. I'm not slamming him...but guys like Brayton who is very structured in his training and riding has done well under that team coverage, but historically guys with more of a free-spirit way of thinking (a la Grant) don't. I hope for his sake, and for ours as people who love the sport regardless of personalities...that Christolphe can put together the goods outdoors this year to qualify himself for a top-tier ride for 2015.
bkent136
Posts
118
Joined
6/8/2013
Location
Melbourne, FL, USA
5/23/2014 11:40am
I hope he finishes outside of the top ten every race. Dudes a prick.
And you are a fucking idiot.
Pourcel is a prick. You might not know this, because all you see is his fancy little interviews. You don't know shit.
rosebud441
Posts
1764
Joined
1/25/2012
Location
Bellingham, WA, USA
5/23/2014 11:44am Edited Date/Time 5/23/2014 11:45am
I hope he finishes outside of the top ten every race. Dudes a prick.
And you are a fucking idiot.
bkent136 wrote:
Pourcel is a prick. You might not know this, because all you see is his fancy little interviews. You don't know shit.
Wow, got some real fans.. I will be rooting for CP even more now, just for the Pricks.
5/23/2014 12:51pm
there iz no doubt in CPs' mind...he can go 24-0....
zippy895
Posts
5495
Joined
7/15/2008
Location
Daytona Beach, FL, USA
5/23/2014 2:09pm
zippy895
Posts
5495
Joined
7/15/2008
Location
Daytona Beach, FL, USA
5/23/2014 2:10pm
zippy895
Posts
5495
Joined
7/15/2008
Location
Daytona Beach, FL, USA
5/23/2014 2:10pm
la silk worm

Post a reply to: Pourcel - 2015?

The Latest