Owning & Operating MX Track

Love4Moto
Edited Date/Time 11/28/2022 2:41pm
My dream has been to own and operate a motocross track since the time I hit my first jump. Everything I can find from previous forums is all negative. If there was no way to make money in the sport then there would be no tracks that are open to the public. There has to be a way to make this a successful business even when starting with no land or even nothing, but I'M not.

My Father-in-Law has 185 acres that I'm currently living on, with the option to buy as much of it as I'd like (for a killer price these days). We are in the country and have checked with the county on noise and zoning laws in my area, and they say I'm in a spot to where owning and operating a track is very possible.

My Father-in-Law also has all the equipment necessary to prep and re-design the track. He would let me use this equipment for the track, but would charge me a fee to use it, that and I would have to pay for fuel and if I needed to have one of his guys operate the machinery, I would be required to pay them for their time as well. The only thing we are missing is the water truck.

I have a solid business plan and a couple of people to back me when it comes to a down payment for the business loan. I know people say if you dont own the land outright the track will not be profitable, but there has to be a way.

The plan is to have a shop with bathrooms, concessions, mechanic, and OEM and aftermarket parts counter at this motocross track. A track for the big bikes and main events, and a "kids" track for beginners and 65cc and under bikes. I plan on having camper hookups for race weekends and overnighters that want to stay for more than 1 day of riding. as well as lights and bleachers for night time riding and spectating.

Is there anyone out there that might have some new insight on how to make this all possible and profitable in todays world?
|
kNewc
10/24/2022 7:09am Edited Date/Time 10/24/2022 7:15am
I too am looking at opening a motocross track (or at least owning a private one). But I don't have land (yet lol). However my plans are to break-even or get close. Land prices right now are insane. I made the mistake of telling a land owner who was interested in selling me some un-farmable land that I planned on putting a motocross track in, and he cut contact.

Are you able to get loans, or do you have the money to get this thing operational? Electric hookups, sewage (bathrooms), buildings, etc.. may cost quite a bit depending on where these 185 acres are located.

Also, you can't really "rent" or borrow machinery to be remotely profitable, or to remain friends with your FiL lol. You will need to get a bulldozer and water truck.

I was going to roll a bulldozer and water truck into the loan for any land I find. I don't plan to be profitable. I plan to work full time and make it a private track first without any services. Which is what I would do if I were you. You have the land...screw a public track just get a bobcat and go to town lol
Love4Moto
10/24/2022 7:24am
kNewc wrote:
I too am looking at opening a motocross track (or at least owning a private one). But I don't have land (yet lol). However my plans...
I too am looking at opening a motocross track (or at least owning a private one). But I don't have land (yet lol). However my plans are to break-even or get close. Land prices right now are insane. I made the mistake of telling a land owner who was interested in selling me some un-farmable land that I planned on putting a motocross track in, and he cut contact.

Are you able to get loans, or do you have the money to get this thing operational? Electric hookups, sewage (bathrooms), buildings, etc.. may cost quite a bit depending on where these 185 acres are located.

Also, you can't really "rent" or borrow machinery to be remotely profitable, or to remain friends with your FiL lol. You will need to get a bulldozer and water truck.

I was going to roll a bulldozer and water truck into the loan for any land I find. I don't plan to be profitable. I plan to work full time and make it a private track first without any services. Which is what I would do if I were you. You have the land...screw a public track just get a bobcat and go to town lol
I want this to be my carrer, something I can pass on to my son when its time for me to give it up. I wouldn't necessarily be renting the equipment from my father-in-law, but more hiring him to do the prep and such. I feel like this would be a better way of keeping overall costs to a minimum until I could afford the loan on new equipment, or pay cash for it.

I have excellent credit and I'm already to the halfway mark of the down payment I need, according to what I plan on spending. Between a couple of family friends and some local moto junkies I've came up with 1/2 the down payment and plan to do a GoFundMe fundraiser to try and come up with 3/4 of the down payment, if not the whole thing.
10/24/2022 7:27am
The worst thing, it people not wanting to pay for the days ride... 'should be free', and yet, they'll go to the pub and blow $100 without giving it a second thought! It's a massive expense to do it right, if you can get people to accept this, it's possible. Enough riders locally, land access, neighbors, water supply... permissions, environmental impact studies, all that bullshit...
10/24/2022 7:58am
Let me start by saying I do not, and never have, ran or operated a track.

I think you have look at it like the restaurant business; obviously some can make it profitable but most will struggle to keep their head above water and call it quits after a few years. You will need to be able to run a business (which is a ton of work in itself and not easy) and be able to put out a quality product still. Many find the business aspect very draining and sucks the enthusiasm out of what you were once passionate about.

You need to be real sure about zoning and any special use permits before making any moves. You ideally do not want to have to operate under a conditional use permit since that can be revoked. This seems to be the major hang up for most of the private tracks posted on vital, and is an issue for my local track.

"The plan is to have a shop with bathrooms, concessions, mechanic, and OEM and aftermarket parts counter at this motocross track. A track for the big bikes and main events, and a "kids" track for beginners and 65cc and under bikes. I plan on having camper hookups for race weekends and overnighters that want to stay for more than 1 day of riding. as well as lights and bleachers for night time riding and spectating."

Have you considered building towards this grand plan? Perhaps it would be wise to minimize your outlay to start out. Start with a single track, parking lot, and port-a-johns and figure out how to run a track and make some profit, most likely as a practice track. You can make a real basic kids track and start building it up over time. If you can set aside some of the woods for trails you can widen your demographic and set up to hold a hare scramble in the future (which are very profitable in my experience). Don't hold a race until you have experience running the track; racers can be very critical and if you botch it you'll have the reputation of shit track/place to race for a long time.

Lastly, if you're willing to stray from being a MX only place (sacrilege, I know) you can open yourself up to more profitable demographics. On the east coast it seems that ATV and UTV guys have bottomless pockets and will pay to ride on any shit trail, especially if you offer camping at the facility. To be clear you don't let them on the track, you would have to set aside trails for them. If you want to sell your soul to turn a profit, this is always an option.

The Shop

zippytech
10/24/2022 8:21am
I have thought about this for the last 30 + years, My hang-up has always been the insurance thing, I have never found any or any that is reasonable.
10/24/2022 8:24am
Have you worked at any tracks? I'm not talking about showing up on Sunday morning and waving a yellow flag for a couple of hours. Have you been at a track from Thursday through Monday working your ass off for little or no pay? Get back to us when you do that because that will be your life as a track owner at a minimum.
Hollywood009
Fantasy
1174th
10/24/2022 8:42am
I have known many people that built and owned their own tracks, most have closed or they turned the land into something else. I think the issue is being able to maintain consistency, while your costs are constantly effecting your bottom line. Lack of consistency makes it hard to maintain labor, and the price of labor is way up these days. Waste management, you'd be surprised how much waste just 25 people can generate in a day, so you will probably need to lease a dumpster and potty box, which isnt necessarily cheap either. Then factor in insurance, legal fees, promotions, and other operating costs, and your operating costs are probably around $5K a weekend minimum. You hit a stretch of a couple weekends in a row of bad weather, you spend all week prepping the track and then it rains and no one shows up to ride, you will be way upside down.

Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
10/24/2022 9:30am
"If you build it, they will come"
LungButter
10/24/2022 9:47am
You're gonna get a lot of negativity here because owning a track is known to be a thankless job that is also a money pit.

However, you aren't wrong. Some of these tracks make money or they wouldn't be doing it.

However, I also think lots of track owners are successful in other areas of business and have money to burn or a way to use existing businesses to eat up some of the expenses of the track operations.

I gotta think that having the ability to hold off road races really helps the bottom line, most local off road races get 2-3x the turn out of local moto races. But 185 acres ain't enough to put on much of a off road race, need probably 3-4x that I would think but I could be wrong?

Either way, best of luck. We can ALWAYS use more moto tracks/riding areas to keep this sport alive.

Too bad we don't have an organization or sanctioning body in place to help people with some of this stuff.... you know to "grow the sport" and what not.....
msp332
10/24/2022 10:36am Edited Date/Time 10/24/2022 12:14pm
Lawyer lawyer lawyer. Personal injury claims shut down many tracks when someone gets hurt and their medical insurance requires a lawsuit against the track.

If you have any questions about noise, you are welcome to PM me. I'm an acoustical engineer. Other acoustical engineers can be found at inceusa.com and ncac.com.

Aside from that, I recommend starting slow and building from revenues rather than investing in utilities and amenities to start. My favorite tracks didn't have much extra. Hope it all comes together!

Edit: PM sent
Love4Moto
10/24/2022 10:39am
Joshracing wrote:
The worst thing, it people not wanting to pay for the days ride... 'should be free', and yet, they'll go to the pub and blow $100...
The worst thing, it people not wanting to pay for the days ride... 'should be free', and yet, they'll go to the pub and blow $100 without giving it a second thought! It's a massive expense to do it right, if you can get people to accept this, it's possible. Enough riders locally, land access, neighbors, water supply... permissions, environmental impact studies, all that bullshit...
Nobody but employees, my son, and myself will be riding this track for free. Plan to operate wednesday - sunday for as many hours as the day lets us.
Love4Moto
10/24/2022 10:51am
Let me start by saying I do not, and never have, ran or operated a track. I think you have look at it like the restaurant...
Let me start by saying I do not, and never have, ran or operated a track.

I think you have look at it like the restaurant business; obviously some can make it profitable but most will struggle to keep their head above water and call it quits after a few years. You will need to be able to run a business (which is a ton of work in itself and not easy) and be able to put out a quality product still. Many find the business aspect very draining and sucks the enthusiasm out of what you were once passionate about.

You need to be real sure about zoning and any special use permits before making any moves. You ideally do not want to have to operate under a conditional use permit since that can be revoked. This seems to be the major hang up for most of the private tracks posted on vital, and is an issue for my local track.

"The plan is to have a shop with bathrooms, concessions, mechanic, and OEM and aftermarket parts counter at this motocross track. A track for the big bikes and main events, and a "kids" track for beginners and 65cc and under bikes. I plan on having camper hookups for race weekends and overnighters that want to stay for more than 1 day of riding. as well as lights and bleachers for night time riding and spectating."

Have you considered building towards this grand plan? Perhaps it would be wise to minimize your outlay to start out. Start with a single track, parking lot, and port-a-johns and figure out how to run a track and make some profit, most likely as a practice track. You can make a real basic kids track and start building it up over time. If you can set aside some of the woods for trails you can widen your demographic and set up to hold a hare scramble in the future (which are very profitable in my experience). Don't hold a race until you have experience running the track; racers can be very critical and if you botch it you'll have the reputation of shit track/place to race for a long time.

Lastly, if you're willing to stray from being a MX only place (sacrilege, I know) you can open yourself up to more profitable demographics. On the east coast it seems that ATV and UTV guys have bottomless pockets and will pay to ride on any shit trail, especially if you offer camping at the facility. To be clear you don't let them on the track, you would have to set aside trails for them. If you want to sell your soul to turn a profit, this is always an option.
This almost sounds like a lose-lose to me though, when it comes to starting small. If people come to my track and have to use porta potties and I only have the 1 track, that minimizes the people who will come, and if they do it will minimize the amount of people that will want to come back. I know you can never make everyone happy, but if we start big and advertise right, all the amenities (restrooms, fencing, shop services, ect), will bring people to the track, and will also keep the people wanting to come back.

I have asked my county about the laws when it come to noise and zoning in my area and explained what why I was asking. They responded and told me that if I was out of the city limits there are no laws on noise or zoning. What else is there to ask about. They told me I have to register my business with the state and aquire an LLC, so if I'm correct, I wouldn't be operating off of a conditional use permit. It would be with an LLC. Or is this something totally different, if so, please explain.
Love4Moto
10/24/2022 10:57am
zippytech wrote:
I have thought about this for the last 30 + years, My hang-up has always been the insurance thing, I have never found any or any...
I have thought about this for the last 30 + years, My hang-up has always been the insurance thing, I have never found any or any that is reasonable.
This lady should be able change your mind. Send her an email let her know Cory Smith from Southwest Missouri told you to contact her.

Tanya Hermann

CSR Manager

National Motorsports

1539 N 33rd Place, Suite A

Sheboygan, WI 53081

Email- Tanya@nationalmotorsports.com

Direct Line- 920-694-1887
zippytech
10/24/2022 11:02am
zippytech wrote:
I have thought about this for the last 30 + years, My hang-up has always been the insurance thing, I have never found any or any...
Love4Moto wrote:
This lady should be able change your mind. Send her an email let her know Cory Smith from Southwest Missouri told you to contact her. Tanya...
This lady should be able change your mind. Send her an email let her know Cory Smith from Southwest Missouri told you to contact her.

Tanya Hermann

CSR Manager

National Motorsports

Sheboygan, WI 53081

Thank You!
Love4Moto
10/24/2022 11:11am
Have you worked at any tracks? I'm not talking about showing up on Sunday morning and waving a yellow flag for a couple of hours. Have...
Have you worked at any tracks? I'm not talking about showing up on Sunday morning and waving a yellow flag for a couple of hours. Have you been at a track from Thursday through Monday working your ass off for little or no pay? Get back to us when you do that because that will be your life as a track owner at a minimum.
This is the negativity that im seeing everywhere else. No I have not done that, but I do understand what it takes to do it, and yes it is hard work sun up to sun down and the return is obviously minimal for a while, but I'm trying to understand why this is what eveyone says. Obviously it's the truth or this many people wouldn't be saying these things. Either that or it's just that that all these people have done their research, just like I have, and are just discouraging themselves into moving forward, based on what everyone is saying.
Hammer 663s
10/24/2022 11:11am
See if you can get ahold of Zeb Armstrong or Mike Sexton out of Norcal. Both are very experienced owner/operators and will no doubt have great advice for you. Check Facebook or IG for them. Zeb runs Hangtown, Riverfront and e Street; Mike runs Argyll and Club Moto. All are well run, clean, good prep.
dadofagun
Fantasy
1926th
10/24/2022 11:15am
That land you are on right now, if indeed is in NW AR, is worth a fucking fortune. Walmart HQ is very near as I'm certain you know that. Not at all trying to talk you out of your dream, but where you are located might not be the best spot to build a track on..... as far as money to be made. If you could sell off say 100 acres for development, take that portion of profits and head slightly, say towards Pineville, Anderson area.... build the track of your dreams. Have your cake, and eat it too. I've worked that area for years (NW AR), and watched it boom since the late 90's. That MO/ AR border really affects price...... The good thing is, it's land. always can be developed, always there. Chase your dreams! But put some study time into it........... Best wishes to you, I'll support you wherever you open up one day.
Love4Moto
10/24/2022 11:27am
I have known many people that built and owned their own tracks, most have closed or they turned the land into something else. I think the...
I have known many people that built and owned their own tracks, most have closed or they turned the land into something else. I think the issue is being able to maintain consistency, while your costs are constantly effecting your bottom line. Lack of consistency makes it hard to maintain labor, and the price of labor is way up these days. Waste management, you'd be surprised how much waste just 25 people can generate in a day, so you will probably need to lease a dumpster and potty box, which isnt necessarily cheap either. Then factor in insurance, legal fees, promotions, and other operating costs, and your operating costs are probably around $5K a weekend minimum. You hit a stretch of a couple weekends in a row of bad weather, you spend all week prepping the track and then it rains and no one shows up to ride, you will be way upside down.

Here is a legitimate response. I will be using my father in laws equipment and can operate it myself for prep only purposes, but when it comes to a re-design id be completely clueless. Depending on how successful this could be would determine how many employees to hire. Start with my 1 FT employee and train him, maybe even send him to CA on my dime to take classes on overall track business and operations (full time employee would be a good friend of mine, also a MX junkie, this guy is also giving me 1/2 the down payment to get this started). He told me if this works out for me, he would like to be employed as well for whatever I need him for (keep in mind I know he can't do it all) (I've got family & friends that will be willing to give me a hand when neccissary when just starting off). Thank you, I will put these factors into my business plan and try to account for these inconsistencies.
Love4Moto
10/24/2022 11:32am
LungButter wrote:
You're gonna get a lot of negativity here because owning a track is known to be a thankless job that is also a money pit. However...
You're gonna get a lot of negativity here because owning a track is known to be a thankless job that is also a money pit.

However, you aren't wrong. Some of these tracks make money or they wouldn't be doing it.

However, I also think lots of track owners are successful in other areas of business and have money to burn or a way to use existing businesses to eat up some of the expenses of the track operations.

I gotta think that having the ability to hold off road races really helps the bottom line, most local off road races get 2-3x the turn out of local moto races. But 185 acres ain't enough to put on much of a off road race, need probably 3-4x that I would think but I could be wrong?

Either way, best of luck. We can ALWAYS use more moto tracks/riding areas to keep this sport alive.

Too bad we don't have an organization or sanctioning body in place to help people with some of this stuff.... you know to "grow the sport" and what not.....
Honesty and I appreciate that. I haven't given the "second income" of some of these track owners a thought up to this point. This could be how most of them are succesful or able to become that way. I agree, we need investors in this sport to "keep it alive". There are to many laws/regulations and start up costs that scare everyone away.
Love4Moto
10/24/2022 11:35am
zippytech wrote:
Love4Moto wrote:
This lady should be able change your mind. Send her an email let her know Cory Smith from Southwest Missouri told you to contact her. Tanya...

Tanya Hermann

CSR Manager

National Motorsports

Sheboygan, WI 53081

zippytech wrote:
Thank You!
Also, get a lawyer involved, have him type up your consent and liability form for your track.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
10/24/2022 11:37am
Give it a shot, you seem to have all the stuff you need to give it try while keeping your costs down. Cool
Love4Moto
10/24/2022 11:39am
dadofagun wrote:
That land you are on right now, if indeed is in NW AR, is worth a fucking fortune. Walmart HQ is very near as I'm certain...
That land you are on right now, if indeed is in NW AR, is worth a fucking fortune. Walmart HQ is very near as I'm certain you know that. Not at all trying to talk you out of your dream, but where you are located might not be the best spot to build a track on..... as far as money to be made. If you could sell off say 100 acres for development, take that portion of profits and head slightly, say towards Pineville, Anderson area.... build the track of your dreams. Have your cake, and eat it too. I've worked that area for years (NW AR), and watched it boom since the late 90's. That MO/ AR border really affects price...... The good thing is, it's land. always can be developed, always there. Chase your dreams! But put some study time into it........... Best wishes to you, I'll support you wherever you open up one day.
Actually the property is actually in Missouri. I moved from NWA to just over the AR border in Noel, MO. Just a couple miles west of pineville and about 10 miles south of Anderson.
kNewc
10/24/2022 11:40am Edited Date/Time 10/24/2022 11:43am
I have known many people that built and owned their own tracks, most have closed or they turned the land into something else. I think the...

Love4Moto wrote:
Here is a legitimate response. I will be using my father in laws equipment and can operate it myself for prep only purposes, but when it...
Here is a legitimate response. I will be using my father in laws equipment and can operate it myself for prep only purposes, but when it comes to a re-design id be completely clueless. Depending on how successful this could be would determine how many employees to hire. Start with my 1 FT employee and train him, maybe even send him to CA on my dime to take classes on overall track business and operations (full time employee would be a good friend of mine, also a MX junkie, this guy is also giving me 1/2 the down payment to get this started). He told me if this works out for me, he would like to be employed as well for whatever I need him for (keep in mind I know he can't do it all) (I've got family & friends that will be willing to give me a hand when neccissary when just starting off). Thank you, I will put these factors into my business plan and try to account for these inconsistencies.
Half of someone else's money? Starting a GoFundMe for the other downpayment? I'm sorry man, but you just aren't financially there yet.
I go to plenty of tracks that don't have any services you listed. Hell, a few of them only have legit out-houses. I would start building the track now and enjoying it with your moto buddy. Go to work, keep moto a fun hobby.
Or go to the bank, get realistic numbers that you can get a loan for, and work on what you can afford. If you know of any business owners write up your business plan and show them and see what advice they have. Starting a business plan is also a good way to see what type of investments you'll need to make.
Love4Moto
10/24/2022 11:46am

Love4Moto wrote:
Here is a legitimate response. I will be using my father in laws equipment and can operate it myself for prep only purposes, but when it...
kNewc wrote:
Half of someone else's money? Starting a GoFundMe for the other downpayment? I'm sorry man, but you just aren't financially there yet. I go to plenty...
Half of someone else's money? Starting a GoFundMe for the other downpayment? I'm sorry man, but you just aren't financially there yet.
I go to plenty of tracks that don't have any services you listed. Hell, a few of them only have legit out-houses. I would start building the track now and enjoying it with your moto buddy. Go to work, keep moto a fun hobby.
Or go to the bank, get realistic numbers that you can get a loan for, and work on what you can afford. If you know of any business owners write up your business plan and show them and see what advice they have. Starting a business plan is also a good way to see what type of investments you'll need to make.
Yes that was my plan. I'm not saying I am financially there yet, but thats more what this forum was for, to see where I really needed to be vs where I am now. But I do agree, I can't bank on the 1/2 DP from my friend. Even though I personally know hes got the funds.
kNewc
10/24/2022 11:58am Edited Date/Time 10/24/2022 11:58am
Love4Moto wrote:
kNewc wrote:
Half of someone else's money? Starting a GoFundMe for the other downpayment? I'm sorry man, but you just aren't financially there yet. I go to plenty...
Love4Moto wrote:
Yes that was my plan. I'm not saying I am financially there yet, but thats more what this forum was for, to see where I really...
Yes that was my plan. I'm not saying I am financially there yet, but thats more what this forum was for, to see where I really needed to be vs where I am now. But I do agree, I can't bank on the 1/2 DP from my friend. Even though I personally know hes got the funds.
If you have land and equipment available, I would start building it now and using it sooner than later, especially for you and your buddies. If you know of a few friends invite them out when the track is set, I have a feeling word will spread quickly and then you can build things bigger/better when more people show up. You don't need the hookups/sewage/ etc. IMO. Maybe a port-a-john if you can't get a out-house built. I get you are trying to make this a full time job, and I think you can. But you may need to start smaller than you have described. I would be pumped to be in your situation regardless. I would be out on a tractor every day after work if I had access to land and equipment lol
huck
10/24/2022 12:23pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2022 12:31pm
I used to love that little track in Pea Ridge (probably around 1997-2000).... Was is Shannon Niday that owned it... or maybe they just had classes there. It was a fun little track on an old stock car track with lights. Fun place to go race in the summer when it was too hot during the day.

Regarding opening a track...best of luck!! Cooperland had a great philosophy... be open less, and make people change their plans when you are open. Don't dilute your potential customers by being open way too often. Keep them concentrated on certain weekends. Saves you on prep and increases your work vs income ratio.
Spooner
10/24/2022 12:55pm
If there is a good chunk of woods on the property I'd suggest working out some trails as there are also a ton of guys that like to dodge trees and can be a whole other source of income for practice days. You also could run a few hare scrambles as well.
peltier626
10/24/2022 12:56pm Edited Date/Time 10/25/2022 5:08am
It's a tough gig for sure, I have not owned but helped my dad manage one for a short period of time. It is very labor and time intense. You should have knowledge on the lay of the land, how to maintain and work on heavy equipment, know how to weld, knowledge of pumps and small engines. How to operate heavy machinery. Basic plumbing knowledge for drainage.
Understand the customer and be willing to listen to endless complaints with a smile.
Forget about riding because you will not have time to or be too tired from taking care of the place. I have welded broken chopper frames several times with gear and boots on, had to tinker with the water truck, water pumps, plugged drainage ditches, dead batteries, tracks off the dozer, busted hydro lines, theft. Whining Vets who don't want booters, Whining Youngsters who want booters. Ruts, no ruts. Too much water, not enough water. Costs to ride. Time management with big bikes, small bikes. "Morans" riding with the kids. It never ends.
That's not even considering anything associated with the business side, finances or liabilities. Most track owners own another business and function through that. Start small and see where it goes. Good luck!
Moto Jimmy
10/24/2022 12:56pm
A bit off topic... but I've been wondering why there is so many practice tracks available in New England. Especially over the last decade anyway. Maybe the liability rates have come down or clauses have opened up to widen use.
There are so many choices if you want to pay to ride here, compared to say the 90's.
10/24/2022 12:58pm
Love4Moto wrote:
Yes that was my plan. I'm not saying I am financially there yet, but thats more what this forum was for, to see where I really...
If you are able to buy the property for (significantly) less than market value, then why not mortgage it for market value and then have the cash, or get a line of credit on the property after you close to help with development costs? Then you can use the free equity that your father in-law has offered you.

Post a reply to: Owning & Operating MX Track

The Latest