My Comeback Ride - Cool Starry Bra

captmoto
Edited Date/Time 9/1/2018 11:13pm
Today was my first ride after total knee replacement on May 9th so, 16 weeks, 2 days. My last ride was on 4-22 at LACR. I started my PT the first week of June. For the record I'm 61 and fat and slow, ain't gonna sugarcoat it. Anyway, before surgery I told my doc that I ride dirt bikes. He said he couldn't see why I couldn't continue after I healed up. On my last follow up on August 3rd he said go for it, the more active I am the better my knee will be.

So, fast forward to today. I pack up and head out to Milestone to see how it goes. I'm on a 17 FC450 btw. I didn't intend to spend all day out there, just wanted to see how my knee and leg would feel. I head out and do about 6 easy laps . The track is a little sloppy, typical Milestone, some decent lines and slop off the lines. I felt a dull ache that is consistent with how my knee feels going up and down stairs right now when I moved from sitting to standing, no big deal. I don't have any ache in the bones that were cut and drilled and glued or in my calf or quad. I actually feel like I am in better shape now that I was before I had my surgery. My legs felt pretty strong. Big props to Team Physical Therapy in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. I head back to the pits to cool off and drink some water.

Back out for round 2. I decide to push a little harder and all is going well enough. After about 4 laps, I end up in the slop sideways with my TKR leg behind me. Scary but no pain. Nice. A couple laps later I dab pretty hard, again from the slop. Again, no pain in the knee/leg so I decide to call it a day. My brain is telling me to do things I know I need to ease into so I listened to my body that disagreed. It was a very encouraging day for me. A different doctor might have told me no more riding. At that point I might have some doubts about riding and I at least would have had that nagging me in the back of my mind when I did go riding. My PT advised I give it another month to get a little stronger before I rode again. Today, I just had to know what was going on.
I did have to weigh getting my knee replaced vs. the possibility of not being able to ride again but I was just too miserable with constant knee pain to go on. I am totally glad I did it and not just because I can ride. I couldn't be on my feet for more than 15 minutes and any walking on uneven ground was really painful. It was so bad it took half a day to mow and edge my lawn and I have a small lot. I am actually doing more now and longer that before TKR.
I'll also add that today was my first ride with a new 6d ATR2 helmet and Rockwell goggles. I will say I didn't think much of the helmet. Literally, once it was on my head I never gave it a second thought. What a great helmet. Rockwell goggles were a very good fit in the helmet and on my face.

TLDR:
1. First ride since total knee replacement on May 9 and I didn't die.
2. 6d helmet is a really great helmet.
3. Rockwell goggles worked as advertised.
4. Enjoyed In-n-Out on my way home.
|
plowboy
8/31/2018 5:15pm
Awesome bro. It's gotta be scary as hell the first time especially with the slip slide. My knees are shot but I guess I'm waiting for them to give way while decending a maintenance stand at work. That way the insurance HAS to do something besides steroid shots and ibuprofen.
es337
8/31/2018 5:16pm
I would normally say chipolte or qdoba is the preferred post moto meal but given the recent circumstances I fully support your patronage at in n out. Also, cool starry bra.
ledger
8/31/2018 8:59pm
Good on you, I'm close to your age and found that a recliner can be more dangerous than a motorcycle. Ride. Wink

The Shop

captmoto
8/31/2018 10:40pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/08/31/284427/s1200_5F510763_8F16_48A2_8A1C_E7BBE0DE328E.jpg[/img]

Thank you.
Fearo
9/1/2018 12:34am
Glad you had fun and didn't experience too much pain after your surgery. Keep going!
sandman768
9/1/2018 8:08am
Good job! the first few rides after knee surgery are nerve wracking!
newmann
9/1/2018 8:18am
Amazing how good it feels first ride back!
GIwasB4
9/1/2018 9:43am
But why while wearing your starry bra, cuts down on the nipple chafing?
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
9/1/2018 9:56am
Great to hear! I know at some point in the future I will need a total knee replacement on my left knee. The Dr predicts in 5-10 years. I am hopeful by then new technology will allow for them to just replace my cartilage with “something” new..

Anyways, the thought of not being able to ride after was depressing. Your cool starry is encouraging broseph ..
captmoto
9/1/2018 5:51pm
Brad460 wrote:
Great to hear! I know at some point in the future I will need a total knee replacement on my left knee. The Dr predicts in...
Great to hear! I know at some point in the future I will need a total knee replacement on my left knee. The Dr predicts in 5-10 years. I am hopeful by then new technology will allow for them to just replace my cartilage with “something” new..

Anyways, the thought of not being able to ride after was depressing. Your cool starry is encouraging broseph ..
It would depend on the arthritis and bone wear. If you are bone on bone, you will end up arthritic and too worn to add a synthetic meniscus though I met a guy at PT that had a cadaver meniscus done to hold off a knee replacement.
Also, a sports rehab physical therapist is the way to go. They focus on getting you back into shape for arduous activity. My PT has experience with Eric Dickerson when he was playing, Clayton Kershaw and Maurice Edu who was a #1 draft pick in Major League Soccer.
captmoto
9/1/2018 5:53pm
newmann wrote:
Amazing how good it feels first ride back!
Not so much today but I'll be back out next week. I ache in the places that PT hasn't worked on. Upper back and shoulders, forearms. Can't wait.
Mossy
9/1/2018 11:12pm
I enjoy reading about people’s riding stories/day of riding. Though, it makes it much better when they have some pics with it as well Cool still a good story, but post some pics of the bike, track, and the setup BRO Wink

Post a reply to: My Comeback Ride - Cool Starry Bra

The Latest