Maxima ProFilter

ZM956
Any of yall use these? Cleaning filters is a drag and I saw these going for $10. Throw it on and go, so I just went ahead and bought five of them. Are they solid? Good enough? Or do I need to spend more money on filters and get my ass to cleaning? For what its worth I ride for sure once a week sometimes two, so I do all my routine maintenance (oil,oil filter, and air filter swap) every three rides.
|
Hudd_421
8/15/2019 8:13am
Aren't those only good for a use or two? I don't get why people hate cleaning filters so much...Buy a $3 5 gal bucket at home depot with a lid, put a few gallons of gas in it, and boom. Takes 2 min to clean each filter, let them dry in the sun.

I don't like No Toil, but that system is painless as well...

Buy a couple spares so you can just do all 3 at once, and you only have to clean filters once ever 3 weeks.
Mx391
8/15/2019 8:19am
No way in hell I'm spending 10 bucks on a new filter everytime I ride. !0 dollars of gas will last me all year using it to clean filters. I've got 2 filters I rotate.
ZM956
8/15/2019 8:20am
Hudd_421 wrote:
Aren't those only good for a use or two? I don't get why people hate cleaning filters so much...Buy a $3 5 gal bucket at home...
Aren't those only good for a use or two? I don't get why people hate cleaning filters so much...Buy a $3 5 gal bucket at home depot with a lid, put a few gallons of gas in it, and boom. Takes 2 min to clean each filter, let them dry in the sun.

Buy a couple spares so you can just do all 3 at once, and you only have to clean filters once ever 3 weeks.
I'm not sure but that would be good to know! Haha yeah I couldn't tell you why, I just seriously don't like doing it. I agree, that No Toil system does look pretty simple. I might go that route after a while. Thanks man!

The Shop

Hudd_421
8/15/2019 8:24am
I think pro filter is for the guy who wants to use once, and throw away. They're pretty thin from what I remember.

If you've got the money, then good for you! Just be careful running them more than once or twice.

I switched to No Toil (You have to use fresh filters, never cleaned or oiled with petroleum products) and it was ok. But I switched back to my trusty gas cleaning and have been content ever since.
ZM956
8/15/2019 8:24am
Mx391 wrote:
No way in hell I'm spending 10 bucks on a new filter everytime I ride. !0 dollars of gas will last me all year using it...
No way in hell I'm spending 10 bucks on a new filter everytime I ride. !0 dollars of gas will last me all year using it to clean filters. I've got 2 filters I rotate.
Yeah if I get one ride per filter then after these 5, then I'll get back to rotating a couple filters. That adds up after a while!
brapgod69
8/15/2019 8:25am
Y’all are still using gas to clean air filters? Got to get some No Toil guys..
Hudd_421
8/15/2019 8:29am
brapgod69 wrote:
I didn't love the filter oil. It seemed too thin and it would pool in my air boot sometimes.

Plus, with gas, it evaporates quickly! So if i forget to clean them earlier in the week, I can usually clean and have them dry in a few hours!
ZM956
8/15/2019 8:35am
Hudd_421 wrote:
I think pro filter is for the guy who wants to use once, and throw away. They're pretty thin from what I remember. If you've got...
I think pro filter is for the guy who wants to use once, and throw away. They're pretty thin from what I remember.

If you've got the money, then good for you! Just be careful running them more than once or twice.

I switched to No Toil (You have to use fresh filters, never cleaned or oiled with petroleum products) and it was ok. But I switched back to my trusty gas cleaning and have been content ever since.
Ahh I see. Yeah that would get old and pricey after a while. Thanks for the info man.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
8/15/2019 8:42am
brapgod69 wrote:
Hudd_421 wrote:
I didn't love the filter oil. It seemed too thin and it would pool in my air boot sometimes. Plus, with gas, it evaporates quickly! So...
I didn't love the filter oil. It seemed too thin and it would pool in my air boot sometimes.

Plus, with gas, it evaporates quickly! So if i forget to clean them earlier in the week, I can usually clean and have them dry in a few hours!
I think he was referring to their air filter cleaner. That's what we used and it does a pretty good job.
Hudd_421
8/15/2019 8:49am
brapgod69 wrote:
Hudd_421 wrote:
I didn't love the filter oil. It seemed too thin and it would pool in my air boot sometimes. Plus, with gas, it evaporates quickly! So...

-MAVERICK- wrote:
I think he was referring to their air filter cleaner. That's what we used and it does a pretty good job.
The problem is you have to use the filter oil, to use the cleaner. The cleaner wont clean normal filter oil (has to be water base). The cleaner (which is OxyClean) worked decent but like I said, I just went back to gas.
Adam43
8/15/2019 8:57am
They work just fine, and can be reused perfectly fine also.
kNewc
8/15/2019 9:07am
I used them for awhile. I would clean them and re-use them 3-4 times as well. You really can't use them past 4 times because they start to fall apart. I haven't done that in a few years though. No toil and no toil cleaner has been the easiest method for me as well. I have 3 filters and filter socks. I get even more use out of them using the filter covers/socks.
captmoto
8/15/2019 9:10am
Hudd_421 wrote:
Aren't those only good for a use or two? I don't get why people hate cleaning filters so much...Buy a $3 5 gal bucket at home...

put a few gallons of gas in it, and boom.

I've seen that more than a few times. You only ever make one mistake with gas. If you are going to get it out of a pump, go for the diesel. It cleans the same and with the high flash point you have to go out of your way to blow shit up.
Hudd_421
8/15/2019 9:34am
Hudd_421 wrote:

captmoto wrote:
[b] put a few gallons of gas in it, and boom.[/b] I've seen that more than a few times. You only ever make one mistake with...
put a few gallons of gas in it, and boom.

I've seen that more than a few times. You only ever make one mistake with gas. If you are going to get it out of a pump, go for the diesel. It cleans the same and with the high flash point you have to go out of your way to blow shit up.
I guess that was an unintentional pun! I've never experienced any safety issues (other than breathing it...) cleaning filters with gas. I've never had an open flame close to me when doing filters...

Diesel may be better, but honestly I use gas because I'll just pour my leftover gas from riding.
moto314
8/15/2019 9:39am
brapgod69 wrote:
Hudd_421 wrote:

Did you use the green or red No Toil, red works much better, been using since 2003 no issues.

Pro Filter oil filters are good, never used the air filters.
Hudd_421
8/15/2019 9:48am
brapgod69 wrote:
Hudd_421 wrote:

moto314 wrote:
Did you use the green or red No Toil, red works much better, been using since 2003 no issues. Pro Filter oil filters are good, never...
Did you use the green or red No Toil, red works much better, been using since 2003 no issues.

Pro Filter oil filters are good, never used the air filters.
Exclusively red. I didn't hate the product, just prefer my old super tacky belray filter oil, and easy gas cleaning!
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
8/15/2019 10:02am
Hudd_421 wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote:
Hudd_421 wrote:
The problem is you have to use the filter oil, to use the cleaner. The cleaner wont clean normal filter oil (has to be water base)...
The problem is you have to use the filter oil, to use the cleaner. The cleaner wont clean normal filter oil (has to be water base). The cleaner (which is OxyClean) worked decent but like I said, I just went back to gas.
Never had a problem cleaning our filters with their cleaner and we used Bel-Ray foam filter oil. If you've ever used Bel-Ray filter oil you know how difficult it is to clean.

Gas works but really breaks down the filters.
rob162
8/15/2019 11:39am
If you use the maxima filters as somone said you can get 3-6 uses out of each filter. I have gotten more by not cleaning with gas but slacking them in really hot water and simple green for a few minutes then hand washing them in it with thick gloves on.
When I've gone this route i buy 5- 7 filters and they last me 2+ years in rotation. I change them every 2 weeks depending on track conditions basically 3-5 rides. Always clean as can be inside with no signs of debris passing throuth. Just as someone mentioned cheap glue so clean with caution.
fourfourone
8/15/2019 11:44am
I always keep a few around for my yz450. Nice to have if you don't have any clean filters or dont feel like cleaning one before a last minute ride. I can get a ride or 2 out of them if its not dusty out(ive never seen dirt pull through after a dusty day). The seem to be just as thick as any other filter plus the mounting surface where it meets the cage is twice as big as any other filter i've used. This is nice to ensure a good seal. I always freak out about making sure my filters are sealed properly. They usually come decently oiled. Once in a while I may spray some pj1 on there, even though I use red no toil pray for my DT1 filers.

I was pissed when I went to order them direct. I use the pulp mx code and it got them down to 10 bucks a filters but the shipping was like 25 bucks for 3 filters. Legit would only cost a few dollars to ship them. So I snag them from a vendor on ebay for 12 bucks each with free shipping.
ZM956
8/16/2019 4:02am
I always keep a few around for my yz450. Nice to have if you don't have any clean filters or dont feel like cleaning one before...
I always keep a few around for my yz450. Nice to have if you don't have any clean filters or dont feel like cleaning one before a last minute ride. I can get a ride or 2 out of them if its not dusty out(ive never seen dirt pull through after a dusty day). The seem to be just as thick as any other filter plus the mounting surface where it meets the cage is twice as big as any other filter i've used. This is nice to ensure a good seal. I always freak out about making sure my filters are sealed properly. They usually come decently oiled. Once in a while I may spray some pj1 on there, even though I use red no toil pray for my DT1 filers.

I was pissed when I went to order them direct. I use the pulp mx code and it got them down to 10 bucks a filters but the shipping was like 25 bucks for 3 filters. Legit would only cost a few dollars to ship them. So I snag them from a vendor on ebay for 12 bucks each with free shipping.
Thanks man, I'll have to check that out!
419250f
8/16/2019 5:17am
Kerosene works well for cleaning and doesn't break the filters down like gas will.
Mx391
8/16/2019 5:27am
I've been cleaning air filters with gas for 20 years. Never a problem and I don't buy air filters but every couple years. Take a little gas out of the lawnmower jug. Too much trouble having a separate jug of diesel or kerosene or no toil cleaner or whatever.
pbody
Fantasy
320th
8/16/2019 5:57am
All of you using gas should try kerosene, not as bad on the filters and cleans just as good if not better.
RCF
8/16/2019 6:28am
pbody wrote:
All of you using gas should try kerosene, not as bad on the filters and cleans just as good if not better.
It doesn't dry as fast as gas, is better for the filter but as guys mention if you're in a hurry to put a clean filter in gas is your best option.
8/16/2019 6:44am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2019 6:47am
Hudd_421 wrote:
I guess that was an unintentional pun! I've never experienced any safety issues (other than breathing it...) cleaning filters with gas. I've never had an open...
I guess that was an unintentional pun! I've never experienced any safety issues (other than breathing it...) cleaning filters with gas. I've never had an open flame close to me when doing filters...

Diesel may be better, but honestly I use gas because I'll just pour my leftover gas from riding.
I've used kerosene to clean filters and it worked very well. Not nearly as flammable or rough as gas and it's a little oily away. Gas seems to leave my filters stiff after awhile. I suppose the $$$ saved on cleaner allows you to buy a couple new filters instead which is probably a good idea.

Me, though, I kind of LIKE cleaning air filters. It's satisfying to take a dirty filter and turn it into a clean one. I use Maxima cleaner and spray oil and I'm happy. Spray, sit, wash in warm soapy water, rinse, repeat wash... they come out clean and don't get stiff. NoToil was good, but because the oil pooled and congealed, I never 100% trusted it.

As far as the Maxima Pro filters... they're thin. I've used them for non-dusty rides/races, washed them 2-3 times, cut them loose. If you have a relatively non-dusty moto, they're great to have on hand for between moto changes.

Post a reply to: Maxima ProFilter

The Latest