Hydro Dipping...

Related:
Create New Tag

2/8/2019 9:37 AM

Anyone know who's been hydro dipping the plastics on the bikes? Is it durable for MX plastics? Anyone running it on their bike?

|

2/8/2019 9:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/8/2019 9:48 AM

|

2/8/2019 10:22 AM

Hydro dipping has the same durability as paint. It will wear and scratch very easily in a moto environment.

|

Race Bike: 2018 KTM 350SXF

Other Bikes: 1985 CR80R, 1990 CR250R, 1998 PW80, Specialized Fuse Comp 29.

Sold: 2016 YZ250F, 2012 CRF250R

2/8/2019 10:26 AM

c0ncEpT wrote:

Hydro dipping has the same durability as paint. It will wear and scratch very easily in a moto environment.

Okay, sounds like it's only used for one-off events/races then? Does anyone have photos of the PC bikes after the SD supercross? It would be interesting to see how the hydro dip held up on their bikes after the lime bath.

|

2/8/2019 10:38 AM

Polaris camo ATV/SxS are hydro dipped plastics. They hold up decently well in my experience.

Photo

|

2/8/2019 10:42 AM

At the cost of $750 for 1 set of plastics id rather replace plastics and graphics 3 times over

|

2/8/2019 10:42 AM

Markopolo400 wrote:

Polaris camo ATV/SxS are hydro dipped plastics. They hold up decently well in my experience.

Photo

That's what I thought but wanted to inquire because I figured someone on here either does it for work or has it on their bike....the PC bikes hydro dip looked like it was a fairly durable plastic coating on them. If it's durable for the quad, it should be durable for MX, and it opens up a lot of creative opportunities for unique designs like camo, carbon fiber, etc.

|

2/8/2019 10:43 AM

kb228 wrote:

At the cost of $750 for 1 set of plastics id rather replace plastics and graphics 3 times over

That's steep....

|

2/8/2019 10:46 AM

kb228 wrote:

At the cost of $750 for 1 set of plastics id rather replace plastics and graphics 3 times over

Black Diesel Bomber wrote:

That's steep....

Mitch payton said he paid $3,000 for 4 sets of plastics for the san diego round. Super expensive.

|

2/8/2019 10:59 AM

kb228 wrote:

Mitch payton said he paid $3,000 for 4 sets of plastics for the san diego round. Super expensive.

Super expensive per set because he only had 4 sets done.

Any company who does hydro dipping professionally is going to charge through the nose for a tiny order like that to make it even worth their time.

|

2/8/2019 12:02 PM

Black Diesel Bomber wrote:

Okay, sounds like it's only used for one-off events/races then? Does anyone have photos of the PC bikes after the SD supercross? It would be interesting to see how the hydro dip held up on their bikes after the lime bath.

Mitch also said that they put a clear graphics kit over the hydro dipping that featured some of their sponsors logos.

|

2/8/2019 12:49 PM

I had my friends father in law dip my stator cover and brake caliper guard on my YZ. These pieces have been on the the bike for two years now and only have just a few scratches. It holds up really well actually.
Photo
Photo

|

2011 Yamaha YZ 250 -MX
1996 Yamaha Banshee 350 -Trails
1982 Chevy S10
2005 Pontiac GTO -451rwhp

2/8/2019 12:52 PM

eric513anderson wrote:

I had my friends father in law dip my stator cover and brake caliper guard on my YZ. These pieces have been on the the bike for two years now and only have just a few scratches. It holds up really well actually.
Photo
Photo

That's what I like to hear. Your bike looks nice, thanks for the info.

|

2/8/2019 1:33 PM

eric513anderson wrote:

I had my friends father in law dip my stator cover and brake caliper guard on my YZ. These pieces have been on the the bike for two years now and only have just a few scratches. It holds up really well actually.
Photo
Photo

Black Diesel Bomber wrote:

That's what I like to hear. Your bike looks nice, thanks for the info.

No problem. Thanks!

|

2011 Yamaha YZ 250 -MX
1996 Yamaha Banshee 350 -Trails
1982 Chevy S10
2005 Pontiac GTO -451rwhp

2/8/2019 2:13 PM

My brother had plastics hydro dipped about 5 years ago. They do chip is you crash, get hit by rocks, etc.

|

2/8/2019 4:11 PM

What exactly is sublimated vs hydrodip?
I figured it was a hydrodip tip deal with thin layer plastic over it?

If aftermarket could figure out how to do that - it would be amazing

|

2/8/2019 7:17 PM

Lots of composite rifle stocks are hydro dipped, as are the majority of hunting bows. It’s reasonably durable, but not like molding in the colors.

|

2/8/2019 9:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/27/2019 3:12 PM

There are DIY Hydro Dipping kits out there if you're up to the challenge. I have no idea how hard it is to do but I've seen good results from those that have done their own Cerakote, anodizing, zinc plating, powder coating, etc. Personally, I've done zinc plating on some of my old bikes and hardware and have been happy with the outcome. Like anything else, it might take a few tries but it may be worth it in the long run.

|

2/8/2019 9:24 PM

I have 4 or 5 hydro dip kits here I would sell for a loss just to get them out of my garage. I would have to go out tomorrow and look at what graphics are in each kit. If interested just PM me.

|

[i]There are two things I can’t stand in this world.
People who are intolerant of others because of their choice of motor type … and 4 strokes!