How Was Carlsbad...Really ?

bultokid
Edited Date/Time 10/7/2013 7:07pm
Sitting here just watched USGP '80 now watching '82. The place has always been mythical to me, just like Ebbets Field is to baseball. Few of us had meant to go about 10+ years ago but never did follow through, really wished we had now. I've heard guys say it was a complete turd and trashed out but heard the same about Rio Bravo, which was in a sorry sad state before Danny got it. Even though done 1000's of laps there I never get tired of it.
|
slipdog
8/23/2013 7:52pm
Definitely very hard packed and slick at times. I made the trip for the Golden State many times and I liked the track. Technical with hills, what's not to like? Of course, that was the golden era of motocross , the 1980's, and we weren't whiny little bitches!
8/23/2013 8:00pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2013 8:00pm
Muddy in the morning and blue groove and dusty in the afternoon and sometimes hot as hell also.
ridge
8/23/2013 8:10pm
I loved that place, especially on a 500. It was a fast, dangerous track that could be intimidating if you weren't used to it. Hell, it could be intimidating if you were used to it!

The Shop

DL
8/23/2013 8:27pm
If it started raining you could get stuck in the pits.
JLong
8/23/2013 8:42pm
slipdog wrote:
Definitely very hard packed and slick at times. I made the trip for the Golden State many times and I liked the track. Technical with hills...
Definitely very hard packed and slick at times. I made the trip for the Golden State many times and I liked the track. Technical with hills, what's not to like? Of course, that was the golden era of motocross , the 1980's, and we weren't whiny little bitches!
I can't imagine the shit that would be talked in this day and time about a track that was pure legend. How "shitty" it was made it what it was.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
8/23/2013 8:51pm
I went to the Suzuki school of MX at Carlsbad back in 1978 it was not must different than most of the tracks in Oklahoma at the time, Hard pack and blue groove but then again the 125s only had about 16hp at the time also
dirthead1
8/23/2013 11:09pm
I'm bummed Carlsbad Raceway is gone. I rode and raced mx, drag raced and skateboarded in the park there for three decades. I have so many fond memories in that canyon. It was a cool place and I spent a lot of time there.

The mx track, the drag strip and the skatepark sucked compared to others, but everyone knew it was a special place.

The mx track was gnarly because the dirt sucked. There'd be bluegroove and mud right next to each other. Carlsbad wasn't Saddleback or Glen Helen gnarly, but it was definitely up there. I attribute really learning how to ride motocross to Carlsbad. It was a tough track with some really really fast people always riding there. I got to see so many icons of our sport race there. Just too many to mention.

I miss Carlsbad being right there off the 5.
Regis
Fantasy
340th
8/24/2013 6:50am Edited Date/Time 8/24/2013 6:59am
You could always tell who was a Carlsbad local or not by the first practice.

If you went out, you were a new guy. LOL.

Carlsbad taught you how to ride a bike. It was technical. Not because of jumps. Because of the terrain. Blue groove. Nasty, slimy mud in the morning. Chunky, hard packed dirt chunks hanging just outside the main line. Roost that hurt for weeks. Crazy rough uphills, bike gripping downhills. Cold foggy mornings and then hot blistering afternoons. Then in the afternoon the track would be dusty "moon dust". It was a mans track.

I am pumped to have been around and got to race one of the last "Commotion by the Oceans". As a kid I loved watching my heroes at that race and watching some of the locals giving my heroes fits!!! THee was always fast local pros at Carlsbad and heated tempers because of them.

We need a hardback track like this on the schedule. Too much loam and wood chips these days. This is one of the things I like about the Gp's over our series. The diverse soils and terrain in different countries.
ehr400
8/24/2013 7:13am
Regis wrote:
You could always tell who was a Carlsbad local or not by the first practice. If you went out, you were a new guy. LOL. Carlsbad...

Carlsbad taught you how to ride a bike. It was technical. Not because of jumps. Because of the terrain. Blue groove. Nasty, slimy mud in the morning. Chunky, hard packed dirt chunks hanging just outside the main line. Roost that hurt for weeks. Crazy rough uphills, bike gripping downhills. Cold foggy mornings and then hot blistering afternoons. Then in the afternoon the track would be dusty "moon dust". It was a mans track.

I am pumped to have been around and got to race one of the last "Commotion by the Oceans". As a kid I loved watching my heroes at that race and watching some of the locals giving my heroes fits!!! THee was always fast local pros at Carlsbad and heated tempers because of them.

We need a hardback track like this on the schedule. Too much loam and wood chips these days. This is one of the things I like about the Gp's over our series. The diverse soils and terrain in different countries.
Ditto!
bullpen658
8/24/2013 7:54am
My very first race was at Carlsbad and I loved it. I've always been better at blue groove tracks (being from CA) than soft loam, sand, or ruts. However, when you went down, it was brutal on the bike and the body.
Outsider
8/24/2013 8:03am
Regis wrote:
You could always tell who was a Carlsbad local or not by the first practice. If you went out, you were a new guy. LOL. Carlsbad...

Exactly! This should go into the discussion about the tracks. Smile
Regis
Fantasy
340th
8/24/2013 8:20am Edited Date/Time 8/24/2013 8:20am
Regis wrote:

Outsider wrote:
[i]Carlsbad taught you how to ride a bike. It was technical.[b] Not because of jumps. Because of the terrain. [/b]Blue groove. Nasty, slimy mud in the...

Exactly! This should go into the discussion about the tracks. Smile
Well now,

Don't get it twisted! Jumps are another technical element to MX. The sport has evolved. The bikes are way different. Carlsbad, with the bikes these days would be greatly outdated. They would be going SO FAST!!!! Yeah I know, they raced 500cc at carlsbad but they were nowhere near what the bikes are today. You need jumps to slow these guys up.

This is why I thought MMP was great (from the comfort of my couch)
bullpen658
8/24/2013 8:23am
Regis wrote:
Well now, Don't get it twisted! Jumps are another technical element to MX. The sport has evolved. The bikes are way different. Carlsbad, with the bikes...
Well now,

Don't get it twisted! Jumps are another technical element to MX. The sport has evolved. The bikes are way different. Carlsbad, with the bikes these days would be greatly outdated. They would be going SO FAST!!!! Yeah I know, they raced 500cc at carlsbad but they were nowhere near what the bikes are today. You need jumps to slow these guys up.

Wrong dude, those 500cc two strokes were super light, nimble, and flickable. WAY more advanced than the modern pigs we have to wallow around on making fart noises. Those things RIPPED!!!! 500 horsepower at the rear wheel with an RPM range of 500. Can't get any faster than that. Wink hardy har har
BAMX
8/24/2013 8:25am
Regis is spot on....The place rewarded good technique and also good line choice. If it were around today, there aren't enough wood chips to make the guys happy Tongue
Outsider
8/24/2013 8:28am
Regis wrote:
Well now, Don't get it twisted! Jumps are another technical element to MX. The sport has evolved. The bikes are way different. Carlsbad, with the bikes...
Well now,

MMP was great on tv, and I have no problem with big jumps, that really isn't the issue and I suspect you know this. Smile
Regis
Fantasy
340th
8/24/2013 8:43am Edited Date/Time 8/24/2013 8:53am
Freaking awesome...on TV.

https://youtu.be/qdTviR5TAHo
OMG- the telecast was so crappy! I waited to watch this crap 6 months after it happened for this!?!!?!!?

I mean, why do we need to know about Brad lackey and his inability to race the first 6 Gp's? We race MX and we KNOW HOW THE RIDERS CHOOSE GATES! we don't need to know this crap! and Jesus, riders aren't wearing leathers? they are wearing Nylon? THIS IS STUPID, we all know real MX'ers wear Leathers! Stupid announcer should know what they are talking about!! And WHO doesn't know WE are the FITTEST ATHLETES on earth, why on earth would the announcers have to babble such non sense. In the first 10 minutes the first 5 was talking and shit we already know, They went to a track map, and a rider interview with Haken Carlquist!!! SO STUPID. WE WERE MISSING A RACE FOR 5th!! Where the F were the cameras? WHY WOUDL THEY CUT OUT OF THAT! MAGOO just went down, they SHOULD be showing him come back to the front! stupid telecast. and then Commercial. A FREAKING COMMERCIAL.

and the track, It was such shit. it had water holes, slick spots and looked to be muddy in spots.

I don't even know how I can watch this. I mean my son took off to play playstation after 3 minutes of this crap and HE NEVER DOES that. It was so boring!!!! GET TO THE RACING. The fans looked like they were hot, there were no trees, and the stands were made of WOOD! ugghhh.

And also, Brad Lackey needs to put some clothes on, he was damn near wearing speedos. If my daughter, (IF I HAD A DAUGHTER) was watchign this, she could be scared for LIFE.

IT IS FREAKING DEVILS DROP not ANGELS DROP YOU MORONS!!!!!!

THIS IS ALL MXSPORTS FAULT.... DAMN YOU DC, DAMN YOU!!!!!!!!
friday10
8/24/2013 8:56am
Muddy in the morning and blue groove and dusty in the afternoon and sometimes hot as hell also.
And we loved it just cuz we were riding our motorbkes!!!
Spartacus
8/24/2013 9:11am
So you're saying it was motocross?
friday10
8/24/2013 9:21am
Spartacus wrote:
So you're saying it was motocross?
Crazy Right??
BobbyM
8/24/2013 10:25am Edited Date/Time 8/24/2013 11:13am
Regis wrote:

as a general motocross track Carlsbad sucked ass. I loved that track and I loved racing it too. slick, hardpacked rougher than chicken skin and a total test of man and machine. winning, endoing and machine failure were sometimes only separated by an inch or 2 in line selection. one of my favorite tracks of all time and one of the few track layouts in history that literally never ever changed from week to week, month to month or even year to year... a track you could build a relationship with, sometimes good and sometimes not so good... no doubt about it.
BobbyM
8/24/2013 10:43am
dirthead1 wrote:
I'm bummed Carlsbad Raceway is gone. I rode and raced mx, drag raced and skateboarded in the park there for three decades. I have so many...
I'm bummed Carlsbad Raceway is gone. I rode and raced mx, drag raced and skateboarded in the park there for three decades. I have so many fond memories in that canyon. It was a cool place and I spent a lot of time there.

The mx track, the drag strip and the skatepark sucked compared to others, but everyone knew it was a special place.

The mx track was gnarly because the dirt sucked. There'd be bluegroove and mud right next to each other. Carlsbad wasn't Saddleback or Glen Helen gnarly, but it was definitely up there. I attribute really learning how to ride motocross to Carlsbad. It was a tough track with some really really fast people always riding there. I got to see so many icons of our sport race there. Just too many to mention.

i thought carlsbad was more gnar than SB
LappedU
8/24/2013 10:55am
dirthead1 wrote:
I'm bummed Carlsbad Raceway is gone. I rode and raced mx, drag raced and skateboarded in the park there for three decades. I have so many...

BobbyM wrote:
i thought carlsbad was more gnar than SB
X2 on the Gnar factor bobby!
bigmaico
8/24/2013 11:25am Edited Date/Time 8/24/2013 11:30am
Regis wrote:

BobbyM wrote:
as a general motocross track Carlsbad sucked ass. I loved that track and I loved racing it too. slick, hardpacked rougher than chicken skin and a...
as a general motocross track Carlsbad sucked ass. I loved that track and I loved racing it too. slick, hardpacked rougher than chicken skin and a total test of man and machine. winning, endoing and machine failure were sometimes only separated by an inch or 2 in line selection. one of my favorite tracks of all time and one of the few track layouts in history that literally never ever changed from week to week, month to month or even year to year... a track you could build a relationship with, sometimes good and sometimes not so good... no doubt about it.
This Plus!

It's was always fun for me, trying to learn how to read the good lines as it could change from lap to lap!

The only time I've seen the track layout changed was on a rainy day, CMC took out the freeway & ran us up & down just out side the snow fence on the grassy hill.

The guy's are right about mud in the morning & blue grove in the afternoon. I got lucky some time & CMC would run the 500 class's first, I could use my good starts & the torque of the Maico's that I raced.

Carlsbad taught you throttle control, if you didn't use it you went down hard, it was like getting slammed down on a paved road most of the time!

I now live in Texas & one of the guy's here asked me if I knew what the dirt was really like at Carlsbad, I told to hang on & I could pull some of out of my backside. God knows I spent a good amount of time bouncing off of itDizzy

PS:

Rhett,

Do you remember when Al owned RIO & never prepped it, Carlsbad was like that in the afternoon/ 2nd motos.
captmoto
8/24/2013 2:22pm
DL wrote:
If it started raining you could get stuck in the pits.
Yup, Saddleback too. I just barely got out of Saddleback once. I mean barely moving forward at the top of the pits. The staff cut the fence to let people out but a few box vans got towed to the top by the dozer.

Post a reply to: How Was Carlsbad...Really ?

The Latest