Hip Replacement question

kelal9698
Edited Date/Time 8/25/2022 5:28pm
Hey guys, I’m 51 starting riding as a kid, had both knees replaced and my left hip is shot just putting on sock and shoes on left side is tough. Due to hip being bad can’t swing my leg over the seat I hate the idea of standing on something to get on anyone who had hip replaced did it greatly improve range of motion to get on bike. I’m planning on doing it few months to be healed by next spring. Thanks
|
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
7/17/2022 6:31am
I did mine in 2010, I had bad pain and very limited mobility. I had a new done, and went for a short walk absolutely pain free the next morning. My flexibility is almost where it’s was at pre injury. Once I got the leg strong, I’ve had zero problems, and have race/rode a lot pain free.

One thing I did, 2 months pre-op, I went into serious training mode on my legs, it hurt like hell at first, but after 3 weeks I noticed a huge difference in everyday pain, and my post-op pt was cut in half and I left the hospital 2 days early.
motodad805
7/17/2022 7:03am
I had my hip replacement 2 years ago and it was well worth it. Agree with previous post to due pre op physical therapy as well as post op.
kakarot
7/17/2022 7:55am
Almost 20 years post op, agree with the above comments. I mostly ride off-road with laps here and there on tracks broke the Tib Fib on same side 2 years ago but the hip is still going strong.
Tonynz
7/17/2022 11:45am
I am 56 years old had left hip replaced October 28th last year. I had left it far to long, had beed sore for the previous 5 years.
The last race I did I had to be lifted off my bike after the race.
I was back on my Flat Track bike 5 months after op, slow practice. Mid April I did my first race since Op.
First time in 6 years I am pain free.
Will get back to racing MX in a few months.

The Shop

stantdm
7/17/2022 11:51am
You are younger than most of the guys I know who had hips replaced. I would advise you to tell your doctor what you do with dirt bikes. Physical therapy before and after speeds things up for most people. I does depend on how bad your hip is to some degree. All above is sound advice and what I heard when I had both of my knees replaced about five years ago.
dnf736
7/17/2022 12:06pm Edited Date/Time 7/17/2022 12:08pm
Any doc that wants to go through the back of your ass cheek run...or limp away as fast as possible. That's an unnecessary 6 month recovery and a lot of pain.

SUPERpath. no cutting of tendons or muscle, one 6" scar on the side of my cheek and a couple of 2 stitch incisions for the alignment tools they use. Lotta youtube videos on the subject.

Did mine 7 plus years ago at 50, outpatient surgery. Limped in at 7am, walked out at 5pm. Went back to work the following week and rode in 6 months, I was busy and riding wasn't a priority then but Doc said the main reason for failure in younger patients is they don't give the replacement stem enough time for it to graft itself to the femur and it gets loose. I recently went in to have my knee checked and the doc said lets look at your hip to see how its doing. Zero wear.

My advice, don't wait, tomorrow is not guaranteed and quality of life is too important.

Good luck.
MXDAD140
7/17/2022 12:48pm Edited Date/Time 7/17/2022 12:49pm
I’ve had both hips replaced 2 years apart. Never regretted it at Al. I couldn’t throw my leg over a bike at all but now I can. At 57 I started racing vintage bikes and love it. I’m 60 now and don’t want to give it up again. You’ll be happy for sure after it’s done. Both of mine were posterior.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
7/17/2022 1:04pm
kelal9698 wrote:
Hey guys, I’m 51 starting riding as a kid, had both knees replaced and my left hip is shot just putting on sock and shoes on...
Hey guys, I’m 51 starting riding as a kid, had both knees replaced and my left hip is shot just putting on sock and shoes on left side is tough. Due to hip being bad can’t swing my leg over the seat I hate the idea of standing on something to get on anyone who had hip replaced did it greatly improve range of motion to get on bike. I’m planning on doing it few months to be healed by next spring. Thanks
I'm 51 now and had mine done last year. I'm a little over a year into the new hip now. Its basically like brand new - I don't even think about it. I don't even notice or really think about it, other than I'm a little timid on my right hand corners (right hip was done). I try not to dab my right leg just to be safe - just keep it on the peg, you'll be better off falling over on it than dabbing hard. All in all, my hip that was replaced feels as good or better than my hip that wasn't. As others have said, do as much pre-op workout and therapy as possible. Once you get it done, don't do anything but walk for the first 4-6 weeks. I started working out (very lightly) immediately and my surgeon yelled at me. I never had any physical therapy post Op though. It was very strange. The physical therapist met with me in the hospital after surgery for 10 minutes. Spent 10 minutes telling me what movements not to do going forward, then got me up and walked down the hallway and back, smacked me on the ass (the no surgery cheek) and said - "you're good". Granted I'm a work our fanatic and push things a little too hard, so I'm not the typical patient getting hip replacement. The best thing to do for the first 4-6 weeks is walk every day, and go a little further every day. Once the bone and the new hip ball are growing together, you are good to go for doing very light exercises. Biking is the best thing for it honestly. You're biggest risk is popping the hip out of joint, so be careful with that. I took 6 months off from riding last year while recovering. Then took it slow getting back on the bike. Now i'm as good or better than I was before. My body was so jacked up trying to compensate for the bad hip, I would be super sore after riding. Now, I don't even notice it or think about it. I feel like I'm 35 again, but I work out a lot too.

Now I have zero issue getting around. Went in for my 1 year check up and Doc said all was great.

You'll be blown away at how much better it is after surgery. Its really not a big deal at all. If you've had 2 knee replacements, a hip will be a piece of cake.
Nairb#70
7/17/2022 1:21pm
Had my right hip replaced THR (total hip replacement) 2 years ago. Lots of previous threads on here about this topic. Good info. It's pretty straightforward and you won't regret it, definitely new life for you ahead. The only advice I can give is DO THE REHAB! Go to the gym and do as much weight resistance training as possible, you need more than just stretching. Squats, leg press, adducters and abductors are essential. Should have had mine done 4 years earlier than I did. Fell great now in lots of ways,less back pain, knee pain, etc. Good luck!👍👍👍👍
kelal9698
7/17/2022 4:38pm
kelal9698 wrote:
Hey guys, I’m 51 starting riding as a kid, had both knees replaced and my left hip is shot just putting on sock and shoes on...
TbonesPop wrote:
I'm 51 now and had mine done last year. I'm a little over a year into the new hip now. Its basically like brand new -...
I'm 51 now and had mine done last year. I'm a little over a year into the new hip now. Its basically like brand new - I don't even think about it. I don't even notice or really think about it, other than I'm a little timid on my right hand corners (right hip was done). I try not to dab my right leg just to be safe - just keep it on the peg, you'll be better off falling over on it than dabbing hard. All in all, my hip that was replaced feels as good or better than my hip that wasn't. As others have said, do as much pre-op workout and therapy as possible. Once you get it done, don't do anything but walk for the first 4-6 weeks. I started working out (very lightly) immediately and my surgeon yelled at me. I never had any physical therapy post Op though. It was very strange. The physical therapist met with me in the hospital after surgery for 10 minutes. Spent 10 minutes telling me what movements not to do going forward, then got me up and walked down the hallway and back, smacked me on the ass (the no surgery cheek) and said - "you're good". Granted I'm a work our fanatic and push things a little too hard, so I'm not the typical patient getting hip replacement. The best thing to do for the first 4-6 weeks is walk every day, and go a little further every day. Once the bone and the new hip ball are growing together, you are good to go for doing very light exercises. Biking is the best thing for it honestly. You're biggest risk is popping the hip out of joint, so be careful with that. I took 6 months off from riding last year while recovering. Then took it slow getting back on the bike. Now i'm as good or better than I was before. My body was so jacked up trying to compensate for the bad hip, I would be super sore after riding. Now, I don't even notice it or think about it. I feel like I'm 35 again, but I work out a lot too.

Now I have zero issue getting around. Went in for my 1 year check up and Doc said all was great.

You'll be blown away at how much better it is after surgery. Its really not a big deal at all. If you've had 2 knee replacements, a hip will be a piece of cake.
Thank you, you mentioned worrying about it popping out, is that only in the beginning or is it forever? Thanks
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
7/17/2022 5:59pm
kelal9698 wrote:
TbonesPop wrote:
I'm 51 now and had mine done last year. I'm a little over a year into the new hip now. Its basically like brand new -...

kelal9698 wrote:
Thank you, you mentioned worrying about it popping out, is that only in the beginning or is it forever? Thanks
Most importantly in the first 6 months. You will have some risk forever - my surgeon told me the new hip would be 98% of what a good original would be - which is FAR better than what you have at the moment. That's why it is key to exercise and build muscle around the joint to keep it in place once you get it replaced. The doctors rely on you building up some scar tissue around the joint and building supporting muscle to help keep things in place. Its critical to be careful about it popping out of place right after surgery.

Honestly now, I'm less worried about it popping out of place than I was my old hip prior to surgery. My old hip would pop in and out (not completely) all the time, it was creepy. Now the new one is rock solid.

Doctor told me I was good to go to ride MX. He said in a bad crash there is risk, but he said there's risk of a ton of injuries and hip popping out is likely low on the list in terms of danger.

Hip popping out will suck - it hurts and requires surgery to go back in. So its a big deal. If you get the anterior approach (through the front) you have less risk of it popping out.
VetRider97
7/17/2022 6:49pm
kelal9698 wrote:
TbonesPop wrote:

kelal9698 wrote:
I need a hip replacement and during consult asked doc about concerns of riding a dirt bike-specifically motocross after the surgery, said the riding and impact was not and issue but a crash could dislocate socket that would not be good so I have concern with that. He wondered why a 63 year old wants to ride motocross, I didn't try to explain.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
7/17/2022 9:12pm
TbonesPop wrote:

kelal9698 wrote:
VetRider97 wrote:
I need a hip replacement and during consult asked doc about concerns of riding a dirt bike-specifically motocross after the surgery, said the riding and impact...
I need a hip replacement and during consult asked doc about concerns of riding a dirt bike-specifically motocross after the surgery, said the riding and impact was not and issue but a crash could dislocate socket that would not be good so I have concern with that. He wondered why a 63 year old wants to ride motocross, I didn't try to explain.
My surgeon said very similar things. He said the bike's suspension saves the hip joint from wear unlike running which just straight up pounds the joint. He too mentioned the risk of dislocation from a crash, but that could happen even with a normal, good condition hip too.

FWIW, I've crashed probably 6-7 times in the last year with my hip, landing on my replaced hip - nothing really bad in terms of crashes, but I've hit the dirt a good 6-7 times with it. No issues so far. It freaked me out on the first couple spills, but once I realized it was no issue, my confidence has just kept building.

Can't stress the importance of strength building muscle and scar tissue around the joint (scar tissue comes from working out). That is what helps prevent the hip from popping out of place after healing from the surgery.

Anyone getting a hip replacement should most definitely get it done for quality of life. I've had zero issues getting back on the bike (knock on wood).
Motoxtombo
7/17/2022 9:47pm
I had total replacement on my right hip 6 years ago. Since I waited way too long to get it done the doctor told me I might not get full movement back since the muscles had such a small range of movement for so long.(About 8 years)
He was right, I did the rehab which helped a little but I only got about 3/4 movement back, Its still hard to swing my leg over the bike and kick starting it with my left leg on the ground is possible now but hard so I usually just use my bike stand to put my left leg on. I'm of course still happy I had it done.
As far a crashing and damaging the hip joint he told me the hip itself is very strong once fully healed but my femur is the weak point now since the rod in it is a possible fracture point at the base of the rod in the femur. (See DNF736's x-ray photo above)
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
7/17/2022 10:10pm
Not a lot I can add that hasn't been covered. I've had 3. (The first one was a posterior approach metal on metal BHR "resurfacing", it was supposed to be the latest greatest sports hip for active patients. Fuck that noise, don't get metal on metal and make sure the surgeon has done a lot of hips. Mine went in at the wrong angle and fucked my shit all up. It NEVER felt good and was re-done after 5 years. I had no idea how bad they fucked up the first one until I got the last one. The last one (left side) was an outpatient surgery and was a piece of pie compared to the original and the revision.

My last one felt solid at 3 months, I went trail riding at 6 months and waited a little over a year to race. I was worried about it coming loose and didn't want to risk it. It's been a few years since the last one, I can honestly say I rarely even think about them. I can touch my toes, swing a leg over my bike, walk all day pain free, you're going to be happy with the result. As far as the implants coming loose I was concerned.... about how well the bones grafted onto the implants. I crashed about a year and 8 months ago, my legs spread apart so far my pelvis split in two and I broke my right femur in two places, But the hip implants held solid, both of them. I never worry about them dislocating or coming loose. If that crash didn't rattle them loose I don't think anything will. It'll feel great and solid and strong, but I'd give it close to a year before I'd start pushing it. But that's just me. Other guys say they started racing way before I did, but I really didn't want to get number 4 by being impatient.
Good luck you're going to be glad you did it ! Here's my clusterfuck, "The Berminator" Laughing

Moto Nomad
7/18/2022 12:00pm
I was down to 50% bone in my femoral ball before I got mine done. Finally quit racing when I couldn’t get on a bike anymore. I was limping so bad people would stare at me. Replacement changed my life but I worry what would happen if I took a big hit in that spot. So glad I got one before I became a Dad because parenting is so physical. Good luck- it usually gets to a point you have no option. I can ride a lot better now too.
catdriver33
7/18/2022 12:46pm
The timing of this thread is perfect for me. I'm 53 and I had my left hip done 5 weeks ago. I was on the table about 8am and sitting on my couch by 2 pm....and I live an hour away from the surgery center. I had to walk (with a walker) up my sloped driveway and up 4 steps to get into my house. I'm sure the drugs helped a bit

I'm hoping to be trail riding by the time the So Cal deserts cool off in October. That gives me about 5 months rehab time. Do those of you that have had this done think that is a realistic timeframe? or am I riding the cooler for a few more months? Keeping mind, I'm not super fast anymore and just cruise
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
7/18/2022 10:38pm
The timing of this thread is perfect for me. I'm 53 and I had my left hip done 5 weeks ago. I was on the table...
The timing of this thread is perfect for me. I'm 53 and I had my left hip done 5 weeks ago. I was on the table about 8am and sitting on my couch by 2 pm....and I live an hour away from the surgery center. I had to walk (with a walker) up my sloped driveway and up 4 steps to get into my house. I'm sure the drugs helped a bit

I'm hoping to be trail riding by the time the So Cal deserts cool off in October. That gives me about 5 months rehab time. Do those of you that have had this done think that is a realistic timeframe? or am I riding the cooler for a few more months? Keeping mind, I'm not super fast anymore and just cruise
I cruised around Ocotillo at 6 months out. By cruised I mean CRUISED, The first trip I left my bike home and followed the kids on 50's around on my 110 on easiest trails out there. It was stiff and sore after, I think more from not using certain muscles for awhile than bone pain. Honestly I think loading up the camper and trailer, pumping up the camper and trailer tires, lifting 2 5 gallon propane tanks head high to put in the lance, all the camping crap and kids bikes and tools, firewood etc etc etc was harder on it than the riding part. The next trip out there I was back on my YZ250. It was my left hip so no problem kick starting. I was more worried about crashing on it than knocking it loose just by riding. I didn't push it and just cruised easy trails and had fun. I started racing again at just over a year and it felt solid. ("Racing" being the otmx 60 novice class, it aint like I was skying jumps or blitzing whoops lol ) Don't listen to me though, listen to the doc and your body. I remember my guy (Dr. Namba, Kaiser Irvine) said the bone ingrowth wouldn't be 100% until the 2 year mark, but the percentage at a year was high, like close to 90 per cent. Anyway to answer your question yes. I trail rode at 6 months, was it smart ? probably not Laughing
BobbyLight
7/18/2022 11:05pm
Best decision I ever made! Get the anterior approach type of surgery.

Also I searched forever for some sort of padded short that actually covers the hip. Go ahead and get yourself these:

https://www.planet-knox.com/product/defender-mtb-shorts/

They have 2 overlapping pads on each hip that have a pivot point and slide over each other so that your hip is actually protected no matter how bent your leg is, and the pads are the perfect density. Every other padded short is useless compared to these.
catdriver33
7/20/2022 6:55am
I think I'm going to order a pair of the padded shorts. I would think any additional protection is probably worth it

Has anyone taken a really good hit and surprised how well the new hip handled it. All the way from casing a jump, to an ill placed foot dab on the rocks, to a crash impact with the dirt? I hope that question made sense...
Mudd801
7/20/2022 7:20am
OP, thanks for starting this thread. I had my (left) hip replacement last July at 49yrs old. Same thing as you and couldn't throw the leg over the bike...I had to put one foot on the peg, push off then throw it over. I tried to blame the worn out hip on skating my whole life and the last 25 years of moto/fmx but he simply said, " your moms factory warranty finally ran out " (I had an oblong ball/socket and was doomed from birth)

I couldn't believe what I was doing hours after surgery, like someone else mentioned....I too hobbled into surgery at 7am and walked out almost pain free by 3 pm.

I try not to case doubles as much and if I have to dab a foot I'm pretty careful to keep my toes pointed forward...when I do its pain free. All in all I'm blown away at what i can do with this new hip.....a few crash and burns already and no pain at all....but I thinks its time to stop crashing and save this thing for my senior years. Wink

For what its worth I still ride about twice a week, I take it pretty easy tho and only do a couple laps, couple miles of single track and a random ramp hit or 3.

7/20/2022 12:21pm
As an OT, don’t rush it. You’ll feel great after, but that doesn’t mean it’s ok to get on the bike. Hip precautions usually are followed up to 3 months out. I’d say within 6 months, everything will be set where it needs to be and the muscle around the area will be strong enough to support the new joint.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
7/22/2022 7:56pm
The timing of this thread is perfect for me. I'm 53 and I had my left hip done 5 weeks ago. I was on the table...

I started riding at 6 months but could have easily been riding earlier. My wife was the one holding me back and it was hot as hell here in AZ until last October. So I just took the summer months off and started riding again in the fall once it cooled off. I'm 51 and was 50 when I had my hip done. I work out a lot and honestly, I was over doing it. You need to rehab, but I was still having some pain after 12 months. Went in to see the surgeon for my annual check up and was a little concerned since my muscle was still bothering me (joint was fine, was just muscle pain). Surgeon checked it all out and said the joint and hip was perfect and not to come back for 5 years unless I screwed it up. I asked about the minor pain in the muscle and he said its either mental or I'm over working it because there was no reason it should have been bothering me.

I took 3 weeks off working out, stopped doing squats and started focusing on doing knees over toes exercises as well as riding my MTB and suddenly all pain was gone. Since then, its perfect. So don't over work it.

I would start mountain biking or just cycling locally. That will build your strength up. No reason you shouldn't be able to ride at 5 months, just take it easy to start and work you way up.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
7/22/2022 7:57pm Edited Date/Time 7/22/2022 8:05pm
I think I'm going to order a pair of the padded shorts. I would think any additional protection is probably worth it Has anyone taken a...
I think I'm going to order a pair of the padded shorts. I would think any additional protection is probably worth it

Has anyone taken a really good hit and surprised how well the new hip handled it. All the way from casing a jump, to an ill placed foot dab on the rocks, to a crash impact with the dirt? I hope that question made sense...
I also have a pair, they are awesome for protection. Make you look like big booty Judy, but protection is second to none.

I have taken some hard hits on a few crashes and come up short on many jumps to have no issue with the hip. Landed into the face of a 75 triple last weekend and bike/body absorbed it no issue (for the record, I wasn't trying to hit the triple, I was feeling my oats and just over jumped the piss out of the double). I've also cased a few 100 foot tables when trying to figure out the jumps (flat landing at 90 foot or so), and absolutely no issue with the hip. Never even thought twice about any of them.
fcr
7/23/2022 3:48pm
First one 20 years ago, went well, I could feel the difference in real vs Ti. Lateral movement wasn’t the same, out of pain. 2nd was 16 years ago, bad prosthesis, commercials about them all over tv by lawyers. Failed in 6 months then was revised. Still have pain to this day, Dr said he could go in and do a procedure. Nope
I feel I had/have a weird pelvis in the first place always walked like a duck. I know walk straight, but it is not like natural. I also had one of the Allstar surgeons in Orange County, huge reputation. He is good, very good, I’m just one of the small percentage that didn’t have a great outcome.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
7/23/2022 10:31pm
fcr wrote:
First one 20 years ago, went well, I could feel the difference in real vs Ti. Lateral movement wasn’t the same, out of pain. 2nd was...
First one 20 years ago, went well, I could feel the difference in real vs Ti. Lateral movement wasn’t the same, out of pain. 2nd was 16 years ago, bad prosthesis, commercials about them all over tv by lawyers. Failed in 6 months then was revised. Still have pain to this day, Dr said he could go in and do a procedure. Nope
I feel I had/have a weird pelvis in the first place always walked like a duck. I know walk straight, but it is not like natural. I also had one of the Allstar surgeons in Orange County, huge reputation. He is good, very good, I’m just one of the small percentage that didn’t have a great outcome.
I'm also one of "the small percentage that didn’t have a great outcome" I mentioned it in my other post. What did you have that failed ? THR or Resurface ? Metal on metal ? ASR ? Just curious. My first one (right side) was a complete cluster, BHR metal on metal resurfacing, posterior approach (12" incision right through the meatiest part of my butt) it never felt right, I thought it was me in the beginning, I had friends get hip replacements and were surfing a few months later while I was still in pain with swelling and a dull aching sensation that never went away. When I sat down it felt like I had a tennis ball buried in my butt cheek. Turns out the cup in my pelvis was put in at too steep of an angle, as well as misaligned front to back. So it was grinding away in there and my body was rejecting the metal shavings (they called them ions") gathering in the surrounding tissue. Kaiser kept shoveling me Norcos and saying it's fine. Then at 2 years they started draining it periodically and monitoring my blood for cobalt. I went in every 6 months for 2 years, then every 3 months until they finally decided the levels were too high and it had to come out. The revision report said the surrounding tissue was "Gray and had lots of fluid" The metal on metal resurfacing came out and I got a total hip put in. Titanium with a ceramic coated ball riding in a polyethylene plastic cup. It's much better but is no where near as natural feeling as the anterior approach thr I got a few years later on the left side. That one was like others have described, piece of cake compared to the first two.
The one on the right was the resurfacing that came out, next to the thr that replaced it.

Anyway don't freak OP they've come a long way since then. My left side was like what others described. Better from day one and a steady improvement until it wasn't even noticeable. I don't even think about the left side.
Nighttrain
7/25/2022 4:34pm Edited Date/Time 7/25/2022 4:40pm
I had both hips and a knee replaced in 2018-2019. I ride bicycles a lot. Road, gravel, and MTB (3-7 days per week). I’ve only ridden a dirt bike a few times but I hope to change that soon. It was only a problem for my replaced knee. The hips were fine except the kickstarting part.

As others said go into the surgery in the best possible shape you can achieve. Be light, very light. Uptite and Sumdood passed those excellent instructions along.

I lost my hip after a raccoon dug it out of an ant hill I’d pushed it in to clean off the tissue. I found it in the neighbors yard a few weeks later. It’s now kept in a backpack used when riding an old CB550 around town.

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Non-Moto,21/Fake-hips,1338239?page=2

mxracer666
7/25/2022 6:49pm
This is all great information guy's. As someone who is likely facing this in the next year or two, (I had a total knee replacement 1 year ago) , I feel like I'll be going in with some good tips and questions to ask prior.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
7/25/2022 10:31pm Edited Date/Time 7/25/2022 10:56pm
Lots of good tips in this thread. I think having a grabber for picking stuff up was covered. Practicing getting on and off the shitter without bending in the middle is a good idea, you'll need something to grab on to to pull yourself up and you're not going to want just flop down on the throne either. You'll want something you can grab onto to pull yourself up and lower down easy. Trash bags make sliding in and out of cars and anything you need to "scootch" around on easier. A way to carry stuff helps, I zip tied a small plastic basket on the walker for the first couple weeks, some way to carry a water bottle, cell phone, channel changer etc.

Night train I still can't believe they let you have that chunk of femur lol. The story of it getting stolen and recovered is classic. I bet you never thought you'd say, "I buried a bone in the backyard and an animal stole it, but I got it back later" "Oh did I mention it was one of my bones" ? That's wild that shit would never fly out here. I really wanted my old implant for a paper weight, no such luck. You know carrying that thing around is kind of creepy right ? I mean it's cool, but.... kind of creepy too. You ever pull it out and show anyone ? Doe it have a name like Wilson from Castaway ? lol

Post a reply to: Hip Replacement question

The Latest