HELP - MX Jacket Options and Suggestions for Cold Weather Riding

rikhek
Posts
328
Joined
2/26/2012
Location
Tulsa, OK, USA
Edited Date/Time 3/3/2019 9:35am
I generally don't ride if it's below 40 degrees, however, opportunities sometimes mandate riding in 30 - 40 degree temps. I rode yesterday in lower 30 temps and was cold wearing my "typical" seatshirt(s)/hoodie.

I've searched the forum to get opinions for a MX jacket with no luck. I'm hoping people will provide suggestions for a 30 - 40 degree jacket on windy days. Lots of jackets out there but none seem "dedicated" for the needs of moto.

TIA

Rick
|
kb228
Posts
6153
Joined
1/31/2018
Location
Mansfield, OH, USA
3/2/2019 8:28am
FXR has cold riding gear. FLY does too i believe. If you get a jacket and pants that break wind youll be ok. Heated gloves are great too. I use a balaclava around my neck as well.
wolf918
Posts
155
Joined
2/13/2019
Location
Bulverde, TX, USA
3/2/2019 8:31am
Klim is badass
rikhek
Posts
328
Joined
2/26/2012
Location
Tulsa, OK, USA
3/2/2019 8:34am Edited Date/Time 3/2/2019 8:35am
wolf918 wrote:
Klim is badass
Yeah, I'm sponsored by Klim but just wear their helmets and pants/jersey's. I don't feel they make a good jacket for 30 degree MX wear. Am I missing something? Which specific Klim jacket to relatively "mild" cold weather, not sub zero snowmobile or adventure riding?
rikhek
Posts
328
Joined
2/26/2012
Location
Tulsa, OK, USA
3/2/2019 8:39am
FWIW, those offering suggestions I was hoping you'd share your thoughts on SPECIFIC jackets. I looked at all the brands (i.e., Thor, MSR, Fly, Fox, etc.) and all offer a number of jackets. I'm hoping someone has advice on specific jackets, not general brands.

The Shop

dave31
Posts
62
Joined
10/24/2007
Location
Union City, TN, USA
3/2/2019 8:46am
Most jackets are geared towards off-road riding, but I've worn them for motocross as well. They are not restrictive at all, at least not the one's I've tried. They are warm, waterproof, and most have sleeves that zip off for days that aren't quite as cool but you still wanna keep your core warm. I mostly ride off-road nowadays and have worn mine down in the teens on snowy days or just really cold days and stayed plenty warm. Most every major gear manufacturer offers a jacket these days, check out Fly, Alpinestars, Thor, or Fox.
ktmwoods
Posts
329
Joined
9/10/2008
Location
abilene, TX, USA
3/2/2019 9:15am
wolf918 wrote:
Klim is badass
rikhek wrote:
Yeah, I'm sponsored by Klim but just wear their helmets and pants/jersey's. I don't feel they make a good jacket for 30 degree MX wear. Am...
Yeah, I'm sponsored by Klim but just wear their helmets and pants/jersey's. I don't feel they make a good jacket for 30 degree MX wear. Am I missing something? Which specific Klim jacket to relatively "mild" cold weather, not sub zero snowmobile or adventure riding?
“Sponsored” yet you are on here asking others about their product range ?!? Klim needs to disassociate from you pronto.
-MAVERICK-
Posts
68072
Joined
3/26/2015
Location
Ontario, CA
3/2/2019 9:16am
FXR Cold Cross RR Jacket

It's what the snocross guys use. It's not a bulky winter jacket. It's light and designed to block wind.

There's an option to have your number/name put on the back if it's something you would like.

Here's a pic of someone wearing one.

rikhek
Posts
328
Joined
2/26/2012
Location
Tulsa, OK, USA
3/2/2019 9:32am
wolf918 wrote:
Klim is badass
rikhek wrote:
Yeah, I'm sponsored by Klim but just wear their helmets and pants/jersey's. I don't feel they make a good jacket for 30 degree MX wear. Am...
Yeah, I'm sponsored by Klim but just wear their helmets and pants/jersey's. I don't feel they make a good jacket for 30 degree MX wear. Am I missing something? Which specific Klim jacket to relatively "mild" cold weather, not sub zero snowmobile or adventure riding?
ktmwoods wrote:
“Sponsored” yet you are on here asking others about their product range ?!? Klim needs to disassociate from you pronto.
As stated above, I'm well aware of the Klim product range. Just because I'm sponsored by them doesn't mean they have a product that fits my needs.

I'm curious why you'd take the time to post a useless response to someone asking for suggestions. You must be bored or just a dick?
2
ktmwoods
Posts
329
Joined
9/10/2008
Location
abilene, TX, USA
3/2/2019 11:04am
rikhek wrote:
Yeah, I'm sponsored by Klim but just wear their helmets and pants/jersey's. I don't feel they make a good jacket for 30 degree MX wear. Am...
Yeah, I'm sponsored by Klim but just wear their helmets and pants/jersey's. I don't feel they make a good jacket for 30 degree MX wear. Am I missing something? Which specific Klim jacket to relatively "mild" cold weather, not sub zero snowmobile or adventure riding?
ktmwoods wrote:
“Sponsored” yet you are on here asking others about their product range ?!? Klim needs to disassociate from you pronto.
rikhek wrote:
As stated above, I'm well aware of the Klim product range. Just because I'm sponsored by them doesn't mean they have a product that fits my...
As stated above, I'm well aware of the Klim product range. Just because I'm sponsored by them doesn't mean they have a product that fits my needs.

I'm curious why you'd take the time to post a useless response to someone asking for suggestions. You must be bored or just a dick?
I have a vagina and yes, you are clueless about how sponsorships work.
1
3/2/2019 12:47pm
Klim Revolt pull over- I have one- its listed under the jersey section not jackets. Basically a super thin wind breaker. Its not stiff or crinkly its soft like a jersey. You wont even know you have it on, except for stopping the wind chill.

3/2/2019 1:02pm Edited Date/Time 3/2/2019 1:06pm
Klim Traverse is a great jacket,I have one and have ridden in freezing weather but I have layers of warm clothes under it.
rikhek
Posts
328
Joined
2/26/2012
Location
Tulsa, OK, USA
3/3/2019 8:04am
Much appreciated. I'll look into the Astar, Leatt and both Klim's. I appreciate you guys taking the time to offer some suggestions.

Rick
mark_swart
Posts
2527
Joined
11/2/2011
Location
Chapin, SC, USA
3/3/2019 8:51am
I wear an old Army PT jacket under my jersey, with as many base layers as necessary. It does a great job of stopping the wind, which seems to be the real issue.
OldHalfway
Posts
139
Joined
2/19/2018
Location
Pemberton, NJ, USA
3/3/2019 9:18am
Team Flannel bro.
Kawi15
Posts
568
Joined
5/31/2014
Location
West Richland, WA, USA
3/3/2019 9:29am Edited Date/Time 3/3/2019 9:34am
If your budget is low, go to walmart and get a rain coat and then wear layers under it. Thin layers like a long sleeve shirt, Hoodie, and a rain coat will keep you warm. The biggest issue you will have is breaking the wind, in other words keeping it off your body. While riding your body is working enough to keep warm, but when you stop have a heavy coat available so you do not get chilled. Also brush guards are quite handy for keeping your fingers warm. If in the event they do get somewhat cold you can reach down and grab your cylinder and warm them up for a minute, but really keeping the wind off your skin is key. Also if you can find some thin dry wear leggings to put under your pants will also help some, but really the focus is wearing a layer on the outside that will not let the wind blow through to the upper body.
3/3/2019 9:37am
Made the mistake of layering up too much. After a pretty gnarly hill section trail riding with a bunch of guys I got to the top and damn near stripped down to my birthday suit. Lol

Post a reply to: HELP - MX Jacket Options and Suggestions for Cold Weather Riding

The Latest