Glen Helen vs Fox (Pala) Raceway

Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2362nd
After watching the races this weekend i was pretty stoked on the racing and It was refreshing to not see dark brown mulchy Red Bud eque dirt. and its layout seemed to keep racing close and offer passing options.

but

Its hards to argue against GH as even i would argue its the crown jewel of Socal and really no other track compares to the massive hills and layout.

So is Fox raceway a worthy replacement?

Also, and maybe just me but the track reminded me of some of the GP's
Poll

Glen Helen vs Fox Raceway

Choices
|
Stuntman949
5/28/2019 12:19pm
Also, if you can't spell "Glen Helen", your vote doesn't count
aeffertz
5/28/2019 5:50pm
Glen Helen track is obviously the superior track. Fox Raceway wasn't a replacement because it's a better track, it's because Glen Helen is ran by a stubborn bunch.

The Shop

Premix
5/28/2019 6:28pm
I’d take a flooded Kenworthys over Pala
Frank
5/28/2019 6:28pm
As a hardcore fan that attends 3+ nationals each year my vote is neither. No way I would camp out for the weekend at either of those locations. For the casual non riding/racing fan they both provide close racing on tv but GH elevation changes make it far superior. Not that I would attend if I lived more than 15ml away as that bar has been set on vital this weekend. I agree with the OP on the red bud soil. Time to truck in 400,000 loads of clay/black dirt and fix that shit.
SoCalMX70
5/28/2019 6:56pm
As long as we keep getting a race in Southern California, it's all good. Glen Helen is still superior though... simply because of the elevation changes.

One thing that kind of disappoints me is that Glen Helen somewhat turned into a sand track this year due to all the rain we've gotten (A LOT has washed down and has been used on the track with great success). Would have been cool to see what they came up with in the lower "infield" area with all that sand... Perhaps a "mellow" design (no booters) and let the track develop naturally like it has been for amateur races all year.

Anyway, again all good. We get at least 3 more years of Pala anyway, right? Hopefully after that things can be smoothed over and some handshakes can happen at GH.
9bro9
5/28/2019 7:49pm
Add another round, and keep both. Problem solved, happy fans and 2 weekends of SoCal racing sounds like a win win to me...
IDMegaMoto
5/28/2019 8:00pm
Glen Helen is a dump...but the hills!...they are unique in the world of MX racing...I don't know of another track that has hills like that!
gnarwhip
5/28/2019 10:51pm
aeffertz wrote:
Glen Helen track is obviously the superior track. Fox Raceway wasn't a replacement because it's a better track, it's because Glen Helen is ran by a...
Glen Helen track is obviously the superior track. Fox Raceway wasn't a replacement because it's a better track, it's because Glen Helen is ran by a stubborn bunch.
It’s funny how no one had a problem with the “stubborn bunch” for many years before MX Sports.
kb228
5/29/2019 5:41am
Pala doesnt look like a national caliber track. Looked like a make-shift local track - it is.

Glen helen is a major track and should be on the schedule. Sadly the idiots at play have to make it political.
early
Fantasy
2231st
5/29/2019 6:11am
aeffertz wrote:
Glen Helen track is obviously the superior track. Fox Raceway wasn't a replacement because it's a better track, it's because Glen Helen is ran by a...
gnarwhip wrote:
It’s funny how no one had a problem with the “stubborn bunch” for many years before MX Sports.
Hangtown
Unadilla
Redbud
Washougal
Southwick
Milleville

All tracks running Nationals for 30 years without much problem regardless of promoter.
agn5009
5/29/2019 6:22am
I hate how everyone feels the need to compare the two. Glen Helen lost their privilege to have a national at their track because of stubbornness. Fox Raceway got the nod and everyone wants to rip into them for whatever reason. We got to watch some of the best riders in the world race on a new track yet all people want to do is complain.
Mr. Info
5/29/2019 6:46am
Glen Helen did not lose the race they chose not to sign a contract they did not feel they could accept. Some could say MX Sports was just as stubborn and took their ball and went home.
They both could not reach a contractual agreement that’s all it was. If either side in a contract just let the other side have all they want someone would lose big and without a good business deal either the track or MX Sports would be out of business because of the loss. M
agn5009
5/29/2019 7:48am
Mr. Info wrote:
Glen Helen did not lose the race they chose not to sign a contract they did not feel they could accept. Some could say MX Sports...
Glen Helen did not lose the race they chose not to sign a contract they did not feel they could accept. Some could say MX Sports was just as stubborn and took their ball and went home.
They both could not reach a contractual agreement that’s all it was. If either side in a contract just let the other side have all they want someone would lose big and without a good business deal either the track or MX Sports would be out of business because of the loss. M
you have a dog in the fight.
Mr. Info
5/29/2019 8:05am
I have done a thing or 2 with the track. And I have worked beside MX Sports at Glen Helen (Beside and not as an MX Sports employee). I know a little bit, but not enough to say I know what the difference was. Just that they did not agree on some parts of the contract which as a business deal is important for both parties involved.
There are a lot of people who don’t know what’s involved or only hear one side or the other and make judgements.
It’s the right of one or both parties to not agree. That’s just business that’s all. Well they meet again I have no clue and if MX Sports is happy with last weekend why should they. There is to much being made of all of this. My last post on this because it’s over. God Bless.
scrallex
5/29/2019 9:02am
SoCalMX70 wrote:
As long as we keep getting a race in Southern California, it's all good. Glen Helen is still superior though... simply because of the elevation changes...
As long as we keep getting a race in Southern California, it's all good. Glen Helen is still superior though... simply because of the elevation changes.

One thing that kind of disappoints me is that Glen Helen somewhat turned into a sand track this year due to all the rain we've gotten (A LOT has washed down and has been used on the track with great success). Would have been cool to see what they came up with in the lower "infield" area with all that sand... Perhaps a "mellow" design (no booters) and let the track develop naturally like it has been for amateur races all year.

Anyway, again all good. We get at least 3 more years of Pala anyway, right? Hopefully after that things can be smoothed over and some handshakes can happen at GH.
I love how people like you are able to understand that heavy rain will wash away soil and leave the sand behind. I still don't understand how people think they brought in hundreds of truckloads of dirt to RedBud last year when it was simply the case of heavy rainfall.

But that's beside the point. As a fan who has watched both from their TV and only that, GH is superior. Though I am impressed with how good of a track they can make at that mostly flat piece of land they call Pala. Nothing compares to GH's hills.

Post a reply to: Glen Helen vs Fox (Pala) Raceway

The Latest