FCP vs Works Chassis Lab

tmayer422
Just curious if anyone has tried out both sets of engine hangers and front hangers and if you could tell a difference between the two? Works chassis has the better price but if I’m spending that much on some hangers then I only want to do it once. It’s for a 2019 Crf450r.

Thanks for any input
|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
5/19/2020 3:21pm
The two companies were started together. They split ways.

I’m biased and friends with Michael so I trust his testing and thoughts put into the product. Now with all his work on the Hondas, with the FXR/Chap Team, he’s got a lot of R&D.

I know his partner is the one who was originally making the factory team mounts.

Hope that info helps.
Motodave15
5/19/2020 3:40pm
But do they work? I want to put a set on my 450. But havent had anybody describe exactly how they feel or if it adds a noticeable difference.
5/19/2020 6:03pm
Either brand will lighten your wallet. Assuming you keep it in your right pocket, that means your bike will probably turn left better with them installed.

The Shop

soggy
Fantasy
3846th
5/19/2020 6:12pm
Motodave15 wrote:
But do they work? I want to put a set on my 450. But havent had anybody describe exactly how they feel or if it adds...
But do they work? I want to put a set on my 450. But havent had anybody describe exactly how they feel or if it adds a noticeable difference.
depends what your looking for.
Moto520
5/19/2020 6:22pm Edited Date/Time 5/19/2020 6:25pm
My informed opinion is you won’t feel shit. Too many other variables with bike feel for this to make a positive difference.
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2551st
5/19/2020 6:30pm
Regarding whether or not they work: When the 2017 CRF450r came out, I heard a lot of tuners and Test riders saying that the bike was a lot better with the 450x hangers or holes drilled into the stock hangers. The X hangers are apparently a little thinner and flex more. Before Works Chassis Lab or FCP started, trustworthy sources were pretty much unanimously suggesting changing those out. I've heard from people that have installed the aftermarket mounts that they noticed a positive difference, for what that's worth.

I have a 2018 CRF450r and would have bought these from WCL, but they don't seem to be in stock. I did a refresh to the linkage and swingarm pivot this past weekend and the swingarm pivot was binding in the engine pass-thru and I had to knock it out with a hammer. When I went to reassemble, the engine pass through was so tight that I had to untorque the motor mounts to get the engine loose enough. The mounts were way too tight and the motor settled back in once I untorqued and then put the swingarm pivot back in. I think there's something to all the talk about this bike in particular having some weird binding and stiffness coming from the motor mounts.
bvm111
5/19/2020 6:33pm
I had WCL on my 2016 KX450 and yes you could absolutely tell a difference... it turned in better at initial turn in and without a better way of describing it calmed the upper part of the chassis through the handlebars.
DB97
5/19/2020 6:34pm
Moto520 wrote:
My informed opinion is you won’t feel shit. Too many other variables with bike feel for this to make a positive difference.
You'd be surprised. I had the wcl mounts on my 19 kx450. It made the bike turn better but I lost feedback on the softer dirt in Florida. Personally I like the stiffer feel of stock on that bike.
Moto520
5/19/2020 7:04pm
Regarding whether or not they work: When the 2017 CRF450r came out, I heard a lot of tuners and Test riders saying that the bike was...
Regarding whether or not they work: When the 2017 CRF450r came out, I heard a lot of tuners and Test riders saying that the bike was a lot better with the 450x hangers or holes drilled into the stock hangers. The X hangers are apparently a little thinner and flex more. Before Works Chassis Lab or FCP started, trustworthy sources were pretty much unanimously suggesting changing those out. I've heard from people that have installed the aftermarket mounts that they noticed a positive difference, for what that's worth.

I have a 2018 CRF450r and would have bought these from WCL, but they don't seem to be in stock. I did a refresh to the linkage and swingarm pivot this past weekend and the swingarm pivot was binding in the engine pass-thru and I had to knock it out with a hammer. When I went to reassemble, the engine pass through was so tight that I had to untorque the motor mounts to get the engine loose enough. The mounts were way too tight and the motor settled back in once I untorqued and then put the swingarm pivot back in. I think there's something to all the talk about this bike in particular having some weird binding and stiffness coming from the motor mounts.
I can buy that
5/19/2020 7:31pm
Keefer’s talked about them on his pods, I came across a video of Adam Enticknap trying different ones on YouTube, and I think Jeff walker trying different ones too, I’d like to get a set for my 19 rmz450
aeffertz
5/19/2020 7:37pm
Motodave15 wrote:
But do they work? I want to put a set on my 450. But havent had anybody describe exactly how they feel or if it adds...
Do different handlebars work? They are product that effect the way to bike feels. What's good for you may be bad for someone else, so it's subjective.

Do they make the bike feel different, yes. Do they make the bike better? That's up to you and how you want the bike to feel. Just like one person's suspension could be great for them but feel like shit to you. Luckily there are reviews on the products to help you decide if they can change the bike characteristics in your favor or not.
JM485
5/19/2020 7:42pm
Anyone have pictures of the WCL pieces next to the stock pieces?
ML512
Fantasy
45th
5/19/2020 8:25pm
Regarding whether or not they work: When the 2017 CRF450r came out, I heard a lot of tuners and Test riders saying that the bike was...

We'll have CRF450R product back in stock either on Friday or Monday to ship.
rideforever
5/19/2020 8:49pm
They work great.I have several brands of bikes and they make a big difference suzuki honda ktm husky and kawasaki is what i have all 450s
tmayer422
5/19/2020 9:36pm
I just know that my bike feels stiff as all get out when it comes to hitting bigger breaking bumps. Jumping wise and going thru rollers and things of that nature the bike feels good and I have the bike sprung for my weight and revalved the front forks with race tech gold valves and that stuff helped but I’m just looking to try to find something to help with how it feels in the breaking bump area and I’ve read that that is where the engine mounts have helped out with on the Honda’s
TeamGreen
5/19/2020 10:39pm
As for different mounts making the bike feel different?
They do and I felt it.
Ron_Shuler
5/20/2020 6:09am
I'm using the FCP mounts and they do work in fact the guy who bought my 2019 KTM 450 insisted that the mounts come with the bike and when I got my 2020 KTM I tried riding it without the mounts a few times and it was a Big no for me the mounts really help the bike on lean in on corners and helps settle the bike down on braking bumps over all it just makes the bike more forgiving and Glen Helen is a pretty good test for this type of thing
tmayer422
5/20/2020 9:22pm

ML512 wrote:
Sent you a DM ML512
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2551st
9/4/2020 8:02am

ML512 wrote:
Thanks, ML.

So I bought these a few months ago and finally got them mounted to my bike (Soft hangers, medium mounts on a 2018 CRF450r, stock suspension, Vet B rider) so I can give a little bit of a review for the skeptics. I paid full price on the WCL website and wasn’t asked to provide any reviews.

The pros: overall the bike is easier to ride in nearly every aspect. It tips over into turns and stays planted in ruts with less effort and it’s much less harsh in the rough. I rode a track that had a J-day offroad the weekend before and wasn’t prepped, and the bike ate up breaking bumps with ease. Rough lines were actually enjoyable. Often times on the bike in stock configuration I would see a square edge I was about to smash and would brace for impact, but these mounts made those hits much more tolerable. I was able to ride for longer with less fatigue and did not feel hammered at the end of the day. I did not have anyone timing me but I think I picked up some speed just by being more comfortable and less distracted, and I found myself shifting up a gear in a few spots. That said, I didn’t really feel faster, which leads to some of the cons—

Cons: The bike is much less exciting and a little more dull overall. The engine felt less punchy and less connected to the ground through the rear wheel. A little of the tracking sensation was lost, too. In turns the bike felt more solid overall, but lost that sharp edge that Honda has been known for over the past few years. It may have been mental, but I got the sensation that I just wasn’t getting as much power to the ground. The flipside was that I could twist more throttle and stay well in control of the bike.

Overall, I’d highly recommend these. The cons I think were worth sacrificing, and for me the bike was just way too high strung in stock configuration. The new mounts made the bike easier to ride, easier to go fast (I think, as said I did not time motos) and much easier to settle in turns, both flat and rutted. For me, the change in the bike’s character was differnt from but as dramatic as a revalve at about half the price. If you have a bike that feels like it’s trying to kick your ass anytime the conditions are even a little rough (looking at you, Honda), I think you’ll really enjoy these.

Other notes: Mounting these was more complicated than I imagined because i had to drop the headpipe. I have an akra full system with the resonance chamber in the way. It may be easier if your bike has tool access to the mount bolts. Also, these plates are a little thicker than stock top and bottom and the stock bolts are a little short. The nuts will catch all threads and it didn’t seem to be a problem, but I was a little uneasy when I mounted them up. Lastly, use a quality, calibrated torque wrench and the recommended specs from the shop manual.

This was written on a phone, so please forgive any mistakes or awkward sentences.
9/6/2020 3:59am
In 2003 I broke front engine mounts on my 450f Yamaha, I made home made plates out of 8mm allum plates, It felt like I had 50w oil on the forks.
So I opened my wallet and bought oem and immediately felt the bike softer and less harsh.
I was a C grade squid and I could feel this difference.
tobz
9/6/2020 4:47am
Fcp’s website is diverting me to a weird website that has nothing to do with engine mounts Unsure

I’d be interested in these if it softens the frame up a bit. My 2020 Yamaha 250f is on the stiff side even with softer valving.

FCP’s mounts look great in their Instagram. Just can’t get onto their website to read more about them Pinch

Post a reply to: FCP vs Works Chassis Lab

The Latest