Do Reed and RV have an advantage...

Riesenberg448
Fantasy
2005th
Edited Date/Time 1/17/2012 6:43pm
Does having Chad and Villopoto on the same team give them an advantage on helping close the speed gap to James Stewart. I won't argue the fact that James has always been faster (with a few exceptions perhaps), but could having a two powerhouse riders testing and chasing eachother at the practice track be just what the doctor ordered to close the gap?

How could this be perhaps? Throughout my years in the sport, one thing has always been evident for all riders; whether your local novice or top pros in the sport, racing against faster competition will make you faster. Chad and Ryan have an opportunity to test with eachother, chase eachother, learn from eachother, and benchmark off of eachother; which means they should both be getting faster. Who does James have to benchmark himself off of? He has always been the fastest guy in his class for the most part, but his competition never has had two guys so close to his caliber of speed pushing eachother to bridge the gap. I won't doubt that James will still be on the pace, and will likely still have the edge, but do you think Chad and Ryan will have closed the gap in speed?

Do you think this will have any affect on the 2010 SX series?
|
ocscottie
12/18/2009 3:09pm
I kind of thought that Ryan would head down under and run and round or 2 just to get a few races under his belt before the real races start.

I do agree that those 2 working together can and should help, will it be enough? who knows, thats why they run all the races.

James doesnt need anyone to benchmark himself off of.
peelout719
12/18/2009 3:11pm
it will be better for them to be able to push each other than not, i would assume.

either way, i'm not buying into the whole "bubba will be unstoppable" hoopla. all the same cheese dicks have been saying it year after year and we've all seen the end result.

that said, i really hope all three of the mentioned names, as well as the other 3 or 4 fast guys all stay healthy.

one thing i see playing a factor is last year James and Chad were light years faster than everyone else. a bad start or a small crash were not that detrimental. everyone they were passing moved right over and said "go ahead buddy"... jizzm excluded... but this year there will be about 6 -10 guys that i could see being tougher to blast by from behind.

back on topic though, i do think the two of them riding together will help their speed, not that reed was far off to begin with.
neverwas
Fantasy
740th
12/18/2009 3:13pm
James is the benchmark of speed,no one faster.
Cody24
Fantasy
2702nd
12/18/2009 3:17pm
neverwas wrote:
James is the benchmark of speed,no one faster.
But he does lose. Sometimes it doesnt always come down to pure speed. Reed has proved that more than once.

The Shop

Chili
12/18/2009 3:18pm
Does having Chad and Villopoto on the same team give them an advantage on helping close the speed gap to James Stewart. I won't argue the...
Does having Chad and Villopoto on the same team give them an advantage on helping close the speed gap to James Stewart. I won't argue the fact that James has always been faster (with a few exceptions perhaps), but could having a two powerhouse riders testing and chasing eachother at the practice track be just what the doctor ordered to close the gap?

How could this be perhaps? Throughout my years in the sport, one thing has always been evident for all riders; whether your local novice or top pros in the sport, racing against faster competition will make you faster. Chad and Ryan have an opportunity to test with eachother, chase eachother, learn from eachother, and benchmark off of eachother; which means they should both be getting faster. Who does James have to benchmark himself off of? He has always been the fastest guy in his class for the most part, but his competition never has had two guys so close to his caliber of speed pushing eachother to bridge the gap. I won't doubt that James will still be on the pace, and will likely still have the edge, but do you think Chad and Ryan will have closed the gap in speed?

Do you think this will have any affect on the 2010 SX series?
In theory I could see it being an advantage but the reality is that Chad did exactly one day of testing in California and that will be the only day prior to A-1. They likely won't be on a track together much other than on race day once the season starts either with Chad living in Florida.
Bobbles
12/18/2009 3:18pm
i think the two of them will get along about as well as stanton and jmb
Shenzi
Fantasy
1276th
12/18/2009 3:47pm
@Riesenberg448 I agree with you, I believe that the 2 of them, if they train together on a regular basis, will push their limits further and ride faster, both benefiting from that and closing the gap on JS7.
It's possible, unless it turns sour and they start a bragging right battle within the team, push each other too far and someone gets hurt.

I think that Chad trains and lives mostly in Florida though, and RV2 is Cali-based. Not sure they will practice a lot together.
burnside
12/18/2009 3:48pm
You'd think it would be good to team up with someone in the same mindset as them and serious about actually winning, rather than a kind of C-list Chisom (sp?) type team mate.
bobby397
12/18/2009 3:54pm
didnt RV buy tim ferry house in forida?
Chili
12/18/2009 3:59pm
bobby397 wrote:
didnt RV buy tim ferry house in forida?
Nope deal fell through.
Kinetic1
12/18/2009 4:15pm
If they utilize the opportunity then yes, they should be able to elevate their respective speed. However I don't know if it will be enough to outspeed James. It may be enough to push James to the mistakes he is prone to making when he is genuinely pushed. Notice I said genuinely pushed. Not being chased but actually in oh crap he can go faster than I am right now mode.
Rooster
12/18/2009 4:38pm
Both are but a scant few 10ths off of James' pace. You would think they could push each other enough to find the pace required to run James' pace.

The question is, are they teammates who will work together or two primmadonnas who won't share secrets or show each other their true speed at the test track?
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
2005th
12/18/2009 4:38pm
I don't think either will be outright faster than Stewart, but possibly fast enough that if they get a good start and Stewart doesn't that they won't be caught.
Hank_Thrill
12/18/2009 4:45pm

PROS:

- They will be able to push each other during practice throughout the week.
- They definetely can use each other as a team on the track against Stewart
- They could pick gates on both sides of him lol
- Maybe if one has a bad race, towards the season and is totally out of the championship they could hang around 17th and attempt to take James out during a race, like Kyle Chisholm's attempt at Reed (anyone who thinks his intentions were other wise are fooling themselves. If Kyle would have taken out Stewart, man that would have been great. Larry Brooks would have had a stroke!).

CONS:

- If James wins week in and week out, while RV and Reed swap positions for 2nd and 3rd, all it's going to do is extend James' points lead.
mc101
12/18/2009 4:50pm
I would almost bet stewart ends up praticing with hill more than reed and rv will together.. but I will say I was at the vegas sx and rv looked pretty damn good on his own,, I think he will definitely run up front next year..
Kinetic1
12/18/2009 5:15pm
Either way, I am downright giddy with anticipation for A1.
MX45
12/18/2009 5:25pm Edited Date/Time 12/18/2009 5:25pm
I think no matter what team RV is on he's going to be pushing Reed and Stewart to go faster.

RV is gunna be on it, and I can't wait for this sx season!
XBUTCHX
12/18/2009 5:28pm
Rooster wrote:
Both are but a scant few 10ths off of James' pace. You would think they could push each other enough to find the pace required to...
Both are but a scant few 10ths off of James' pace. You would think they could push each other enough to find the pace required to run James' pace.

The question is, are they teammates who will work together or two primmadonnas who won't share secrets or show each other their true speed at the test track?

Good point.
Highsider
12/18/2009 5:36pm
I was thinking: "Yeah... They'll make each other faster without even thinking about it."

But, I think Rooster kinda nailed it: "The question is, are they teammates who will work together or two primadonnas who won't share secrets or show each other their true speed at the test track?"
Outsider
12/18/2009 5:56pm Edited Date/Time 12/18/2009 6:21pm
My uniformed opinion is that Reed is used to being #1 on the team, and when RV gives him a race instead of "letting Chad by", it's not going to be pretty.
neverwas
Fantasy
740th
12/18/2009 6:04pm
Outsider wrote:
My uniformed opinion is that Reed is used to being #1 on the team, and when RV gives him a race instead of "letting Chad by"...
My uniformed opinion is that Reed is used to being #1 on the team, and when RV gives him a race instead of "letting Chad by", it's not going to be pretty.
it will make it interesting for sure.
Bring on A-1
Little Dave
12/18/2009 6:06pm
Outsider wrote:
My uniformed opinion is that Reed is used to being #1 on the team, and when RV gives him a race instead of "letting Chad by"...
RV has to be able to give him a race first ... Maybe he can, maybe he can't, we really haven't seen it yet.
So i'm a little bewildered why people are putting him 5-10 seconds ahead of Reed every race, I guess i'm missing something.
Outsider
12/18/2009 6:10pm
RV has to be able to give him a race first ... Maybe he can, maybe he can't, we really haven't seen it yet. So i'm...
RV has to be able to give him a race first ... Maybe he can, maybe he can't, we really haven't seen it yet.
So i'm a little bewildered why people are putting him 5-10 seconds ahead of Reed every race, I guess i'm missing something.
I just think he will be in the mix... we'll see.

What bewilders me, is that, some guys don't think RV is going to be faster than last year...
Stephon
12/18/2009 6:19pm
peelout719 wrote:
it will be better for them to be able to push each other than not, i would assume. either way, i'm not buying into the whole...
it will be better for them to be able to push each other than not, i would assume.

either way, i'm not buying into the whole "bubba will be unstoppable" hoopla. all the same cheese dicks have been saying it year after year and we've all seen the end result.

that said, i really hope all three of the mentioned names, as well as the other 3 or 4 fast guys all stay healthy.

one thing i see playing a factor is last year James and Chad were light years faster than everyone else. a bad start or a small crash were not that detrimental. everyone they were passing moved right over and said "go ahead buddy"... jizzm excluded... but this year there will be about 6 -10 guys that i could see being tougher to blast by from behind.

back on topic though, i do think the two of them riding together will help their speed, not that reed was far off to begin with.
we've all seen the end result.

the most recent end results have been a 24-0 MX season and SX championship with a DNF.

I don't believe James will be "unstoppable", but I also don't have any reason to believe that Ryan or Chad are all of the sudden going to show James the fast way around the track. If I see it I'll be a believer...until then.

The pressure is on James; he's clearly the best and on paper should win...then the gate drops.
MX690
12/18/2009 6:29pm
Outsider wrote:
Shouldn't that be Un-Informed opinion..
neverwas
Fantasy
740th
12/18/2009 7:46pm
Outsider wrote:
MX690 wrote:
Give the guy a break, when he gives an opinion he is in a uniform.
Outsider
12/18/2009 8:23pm Edited Date/Time 12/18/2009 8:23pm
Outsider wrote:
MX690 wrote:
neverwas wrote:
Give the guy a break, when he gives an opinion he is in a uniform.
LMAO.... oopps, how did u you know about my costu... er, uniform?!
gt80rider
12/18/2009 9:45pm
Shenzi wrote:
@Riesenberg448 I agree with you, I believe that the 2 of them, if they train together on a regular basis, will push their limits further and...
@Riesenberg448 I agree with you, I believe that the 2 of them, if they train together on a regular basis, will push their limits further and ride faster, both benefiting from that and closing the gap on JS7.
It's possible, unless it turns sour and they start a bragging right battle within the team, push each other too far and someone gets hurt.

I think that Chad trains and lives mostly in Florida though, and RV2 is Cali-based. Not sure they will practice a lot together.
X2....... you can look at the early 80's Honda teams..... they tried to out train each other, and during practice it was war trying to put in the fastest laps..... it definitely picked up all their paces (Hannah, Bailey, O'Show)...

but..... so far this off season, it sounds like RV and Reed have ridden together Very little (based on RV's last comments during an interview for RacerX)..... and who knows about working out together.... but in theory, they'd have a much better chance of working up to Stews pace while running hard against each other every day.... I just highly doubt that's happening....
TerryK
12/18/2009 10:01pm
If you think Chad is going to be all nice nice with RV you're kidding yourself. Reed is far to competitive for that. Ask yourself this, has Reed ever been super friendly with any of his CLOSE competition? Has Stewart? Has RC for that matter?

Riders have on track friends, but not usually the guys they race with for the win. Look back through the years and you'll see this over and over.
Little Dave
12/18/2009 10:05pm
TerryK wrote:
If you think Chad is going to be all nice nice with RV you're kidding yourself. Reed is far to competitive for that. Ask yourself this...
If you think Chad is going to be all nice nice with RV you're kidding yourself. Reed is far to competitive for that. Ask yourself this, has Reed ever been super friendly with any of his CLOSE competition? Has Stewart? Has RC for that matter?

Riders have on track friends, but not usually the guys they race with for the win. Look back through the years and you'll see this over and over.
But RV isn't Chad Reed's close competition, JS is.

Post a reply to: Do Reed and RV have an advantage...

The Latest