Chain Slider and Guide Advice Please....

O&GDriller
Edited Date/Time 6/18/2020 4:20pm
The OEM slider and guide on my 2019 KTM 450 is too narrow for an X/O ring chain. The pins on my X/O ring chains are getting worn/ground down from contacting the "vertical" portions of the slider and guide. I'm having to replace my chains due to this wear even though the rest of the chain has service life remaining.

I'm wondering which aftermarket sliders.guides provide adequate room for the extra width of a 520 X/O ring chain? I looked at a friends bike and saw the TM Design components provide clearance but I'd MUCH rather a Polisport, Acerbis or ??? that would solve this problem. I just can't get myself to spend the money that TM charges for their product. I'm frugal and can't see spending that much money on their stuff.

Thanks in advance.
|
walent215
6/16/2020 10:33am
I know this doesnt answer your question but imo the o/xring chains arent worth the money, just like the TM guides/sliders. Properly maintained non o-ring chains have served us well in racing conditions over the years. I dont know if any of the other aftermarket guides and sliders will give you the clearance you need to keep running the x ring chains bud, sorry. We like the DID or RK race chains with twin ring rear sprockets. Lots of life and great performance!
O&GDriller
6/16/2020 10:41am
Thanks for the response but really looking for advice on the question presented. I've quantitatively tracked longevity of consumables for over thirty years and found X/O ring chains are well worth the price compared to standard chains.

I'm not trying to start a territorial urination contest about the virtues on X/O versus standard chains. I'm going to continue to run the X/O ring and as such I'm looking for help to the question asked.

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to post your thoughts.
Spooner
6/16/2020 10:54am
Ive been running the Acerbis slider and it isn't wearing the chain down at all. I run the DID VX3 which is not a 'narrow' O or X ring chain. And I agree, I get super long life out of x-ring chains. I've tried a couple high end non sealed chains and they are always smoked in just a few races where I can get a season easily of off-road races on a sealed chain.
walent215
6/16/2020 10:57am
10-4 that bud! I hope you can find a solution to your issue!

The Shop

40acres
6/16/2020 11:29am
I run Acerbis with an x-ring chain and don't have any issues at all. It does wear slightly on the edges of the links, but it does not touch the pins. My chains outlive my sprockets by far.
Tuna
6/16/2020 11:39am
Acerbis for me. Most of my wear I notice is on my master link clip. RK 520 O ring chain.
O&GDriller
6/16/2020 12:54pm Edited Date/Time 6/16/2020 12:56pm
Tuna wrote:
Acerbis for me. Most of my wear I notice is on my master link clip. RK 520 O ring chain.
Funny you'd mention the wear on the master link pins. I was nut and bolting my bike before riding last weekend and something caught my eye. The clip on my RK EXW XW-ring chain was missing! It was unsettling and could have resulted in very serious consequences if I hadn't caught it. I've no idea when it came off but to put it mildly, I was happy the chain didn't separate.

I thought I'd just put another clip on. However, upon further examination I realized I couldn't put another clip on as the master link pins were worn down to the point that there was nothing to attach a new clip onto. Scary stuff.

A new master link compared to the one with the pins worn from the chain slider and guide.

Tuna
6/16/2020 3:24pm
Tuna wrote:
O&GDriller wrote:
Funny you'd mention the wear on the master link pins. I was nut and bolting my bike before riding last weekend and something caught my eye...
Funny you'd mention the wear on the master link pins. I was nut and bolting my bike before riding last weekend and something caught my eye. The clip on my RK EXW XW-ring chain was missing! It was unsettling and could have resulted in very serious consequences if I hadn't caught it. I've no idea when it came off but to put it mildly, I was happy the chain didn't separate.

I thought I'd just put another clip on. However, upon further examination I realized I couldn't put another clip on as the master link pins were worn down to the point that there was nothing to attach a new clip onto. Scary stuff.

A new master link compared to the one with the pins worn from the chain slider and guide.

I check mine after every ride and always have a few new spare clips around. I always ride with a spare link and clip.
BRX-WRX
6/16/2020 5:00pm
I use 0 or X ring chains on all my bikes. Sometimes the narrow version if needed. I also always use the rivet type master links that are the same width as chain. It eliminates the extra wear on master link and guides.
6/16/2020 5:20pm Edited Date/Time 6/16/2020 5:24pm
TM Designworks, any X-ring chain, and a set of Dirt Tricks sprockets will last longer than I’ll ever own a bike. I just put this on my new one. I also use the rivet type master link. I had this same setup on my last bike. I never adjusted the chain even once in the year I owned the bike.
Gravel
6/17/2020 6:34am
Like quadz said.. dirttricks sprocket, TM sliders and a good o-ring or x-ring chain with the CS changed out every 50 hours or so will last a really long time. I had at least 250 hours (30+ races and a decade of trail riding) on the stock Regina chain and a dirttricks sprocket that I put on my very old KTM when it was new, 3 CS sprockets. It’s a little more $ up front but absolutely the cheapest route in the long run.
6/18/2020 6:44am
I've never used an X-ring. Do they sap wheel spin like an O-ring? The difference between an O-ring and a regular chain on my 125's and 150's is very noticeable.

I'm gonna need a new set for the 150 XC-W before too long and that's the bike where I would most likely run a sealed chain.
WFO
6/18/2020 6:51am
I wouldn't ever buy anything but an O ring or X ring unless I was on a 125/150. I'm strictly off-road and I can destroy a non ring chain in one long race. I usually buy the RK but last week bought the DID narrow but have not put it on yet. I've never had an issue with the chain hitting the slider or guide unless it was tweaked.
mxgreg85
6/18/2020 8:26am
Those of you with clearance issues, is there an aversion to running a narrow X ring such as the DID ERVT which I think replaced the VT2? (Other than price). I ask because I am considering going this route with steel sprockets after always having run non-sealed with aluminum. I have a CRF 450 and if there are clearance issues even with the narrow style, it might be more of a hassle than the shorter service life if I have to deal with rub blocks, master links popping off, etc.
davidgrip
6/18/2020 10:24am
O&GDriller wrote:
The OEM slider and guide on my 2019 KTM 450 is too narrow for an X/O ring chain. The pins on my X/O ring chains are...
The OEM slider and guide on my 2019 KTM 450 is too narrow for an X/O ring chain. The pins on my X/O ring chains are getting worn/ground down from contacting the "vertical" portions of the slider and guide. I'm having to replace my chains due to this wear even though the rest of the chain has service life remaining.

I'm wondering which aftermarket sliders.guides provide adequate room for the extra width of a 520 X/O ring chain? I looked at a friends bike and saw the TM Design components provide clearance but I'd MUCH rather a Polisport, Acerbis or ??? that would solve this problem. I just can't get myself to spend the money that TM charges for their product. I'm frugal and can't see spending that much money on their stuff.

Thanks in advance.
Sticking to the question asked/topic. Acerbis. I have raced Kawasaki for years, and the first durability mod is an Acerbis
Chain guide and slider. Kawasaki is know for destroying the OEM. Amazing durability. And the fit is perfect. A little off topic. I also have used Sunstar Chains and Sprockets with the same success.

mxryan25
6/18/2020 12:50pm
Sucks the Oem guide doesn’t work as it’s very nice quality and fair price. Acerbis is the next best bang for the buck, and sounds like it will work with your chains 👍🏼
olympiamann
6/18/2020 1:31pm
O&GDriller wrote:
Thanks for the response but really looking for advice on the question presented. I've quantitatively tracked longevity of consumables for over thirty years and found X/O...
Thanks for the response but really looking for advice on the question presented. I've quantitatively tracked longevity of consumables for over thirty years and found X/O ring chains are well worth the price compared to standard chains.

I'm not trying to start a territorial urination contest about the virtues on X/O versus standard chains. I'm going to continue to run the X/O ring and as such I'm looking for help to the question asked.

Lost me at quantitiveteltllly. 😎
O&GDriller
6/18/2020 1:50pm
O&GDriller wrote:
Thanks for the response but really looking for advice on the question presented. I've quantitatively tracked longevity of consumables for over thirty years and found X/O...

Lost me at quantitiveteltllly. 😎
If you hadn't gotten lost there I threw in a second one that would have gotten you, specifically the "territorial urination contest"...
LungButter
6/18/2020 2:14pm
There is a reason the TM Designworks cost what it does. It's a one time purchase unless you put A LOT of hours on it.

They've been at it the longest and it's the best option on the market.

Buy once, cry once.
40acres
6/18/2020 2:17pm
LungButter wrote:
There is a reason the TM Designworks cost what it does. It's a one time purchase unless you put A LOT of hours on it. They've...
There is a reason the TM Designworks cost what it does. It's a one time purchase unless you put A LOT of hours on it.

They've been at it the longest and it's the best option on the market.

Buy once, cry once.
How many times have you had to replace an Acerbis chain guide?
LungButter
6/18/2020 2:23pm
40acres wrote:
I'm from the old school when TM Designworks was the only game in town. Never ran anything else cause I've never had a reason to downgrade Tongue
Tuna
6/18/2020 3:52pm
40acres wrote:
LungButter wrote:
I'm from the old school when TM Designworks was the only game in town. Never ran anything else cause I've never had a reason to downgrade...
I'm from the old school when TM Designworks was the only game in town. Never ran anything else cause I've never had a reason to downgrade Tongue
I would have thought Acerbis was making chain guides before TM but I could be wrong.
LungButter
6/18/2020 4:20pm
Tuna wrote:
I would have thought Acerbis was making chain guides before TM but I could be wrong.
I don't think they've always made the "burly" kind like they do now but I could be mistaken.

Post a reply to: Chain Slider and Guide Advice Please....

The Latest