Az Moto Scene

Hey All Newb post.

Thinking about leaving commiefornia and wanted to see how the Az moto scene was. So far looks like Canyon mx and Acp are the two heavy hitters. (Especially in the pocket book) Why is Canyon so expensive? Is there any gp style races in az? Thanks for your help!

Clydesdale
|
BroFoSho
8/26/2020 2:39pm
Three hours and no replies... there is your answer
SKramer
8/26/2020 2:55pm
There is also Motoland and ET but that's it for tracks.
I wish there where more GP style events.
8/26/2020 3:26pm
There used to be a lot more tracks here. The last decade has been pretty bad as far as tracks closing.

The only tracks I know of are the ones already listed.
Canyon
ACP
Motoland
ET

Depending on where you live the last three can be a haul. Living in the north valley, Canyon is where I’m at most of the time. 15-20 years ago was a different story.
8/26/2020 3:29pm Edited Date/Time 8/26/2020 3:31pm
My parents and sister live in Mesa, i grew up in WA. I've done the socal mx track thing a couple of times.

So me and my friend in late April last year drove down there with our bikes. I looked up the tracks and while i was there for a week. I only got to ride acp and canyon. During the time I was there only canyon was running during the week.

I also drove by and saw some track by a fair ground or something that looked okay. Some guy on here from kingman area has a semi private track that looked cool i wanted to ride it but was to tired.
Was some track out by lake havesu that wasn't open when i was there and some track in northern az close to Vegas area.

The tracks weren't horrible but compared to say the tracks in CA or even some of the ones up here in WA. I wasn't really blown away i guess AZ has more open riding opportunities and better orv parks n such. Yes i even got to go to speed world long ago before it closed down out in surprise it was like 5 miles away from the in laws.

Someone once said that the owners of canyon are greedy mofo's who crush any new comers in the area.

The Shop

NacNac721
8/26/2020 3:44pm
Western raceway is pretty good. It’s about a 30 min drive north outside Kingman.
TallonT911
8/26/2020 3:47pm
WORCS usually hosts a Gran Prix at canyon every year, AMRA (Az Motorcycle Racing Association) and AZOP (AZ Off-road Promotions) are the local series there to look for more GP’s/desert racing
BroFoSho
8/26/2020 4:02pm
NacNac721 wrote:
Western raceway is pretty good. It’s about a 30 min drive north outside Kingman.
AKA... the middle of nowhere
Hou2Phx
8/26/2020 4:30pm
I think the way to win in AZ is to be primarily a desert rider
CSAR FE
8/26/2020 5:08pm
Our track in Tucson closed permanently, about a month ago. There are no tracks within an hour and a half for those of us down in this part of the state, and the off road aspect is also dogshit in this part of the state.

That being said, the few tracks there are in the state are enjoyable.
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1623rd
8/26/2020 9:22pm
Canyon could be a decent track, but management sucks. The owner is an asshole. ACP is the best track with the best management. Motoland is very good also, but they do not host any races, if that's your thing. They are all close to Phoenix metro area.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
8/26/2020 9:24pm
CSAR FE wrote:
Our track in Tucson closed permanently, about a month ago. There are no tracks within an hour and a half for those of us down in...
Our track in Tucson closed permanently, about a month ago. There are no tracks within an hour and a half for those of us down in this part of the state, and the off road aspect is also dogshit in this part of the state.

Where did you get this info that PMP in Tucson closed "permanently"? The county has not said that. It is simply between lease holders. Now, history has shown us that it may take 1-2 years to get another lease holder.....
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
8/26/2020 9:30pm
Copied from my other post on the topic in another thread. ACP, Canyon, and Motoland are open year round. ET is open in the non-summer months. Once in a while a few other tracks open up in Maricopa and Eloy, but they are sporadic. ACP is probably the best. Canyon is a cool layout, but the way they run/split practice is stupid. ET is usually a great layout and fun, but super busy when open. They too are morons with the way they run/split practice. Motoland is a good track and the people are really nice, very laid back.

Lots of excellent single track desert riding. Tons of places to ride. Also plenty of nice trails up in the high country for when it is super hot and you want to get away and ride where its cool.

Overall, its a decent scene for moto. I do wish we had a few more tracks to ride.

My favorite track was/is Ocotillo in Eloy, but its closed right now. Would love for it to open back up. It has a ton of potential if the right person were to buy it and run it. Just needs a little work. Also needs a kid track and a vet track. All they have is a nationals track, and not everyone can ride it. So it only caters to certain riders, which is why they struggle to stay open.
mwssquad827
8/26/2020 9:33pm
CSAR FE wrote:
Our track in Tucson closed permanently, about a month ago. There are no tracks within an hour and a half for those of us down in...

FGR01 wrote:
Where did you get this info that PMP in Tucson closed "permanently"? The county has not said that. It is simply between lease holders. Now, history...
Where did you get this info that PMP in Tucson closed "permanently"? The county has not said that. It is simply between lease holders. Now, history has shown us that it may take 1-2 years to get another lease holder.....
Why did they close?? I would visit my in-laws and ride there in the winter always a good time.. always wanted to race a night race there...
SKramer
8/27/2020 3:42pm
We use to race Vintage MX out there.The race we were going to have in Feb was canceled due to the track shutting down. I heard that the guy who runs the Kart track which is in the same complex has taken it over and will be making it a SXS only track.
That was back in late February early March and allot has changed since then.
SKramer
8/27/2020 3:49pm
Actually the February race was the last one. Closed shortly after that.
mwssquad827
8/27/2020 5:31pm
It was mussleman that ran it correct?? That property has a TON of potential...
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
8/27/2020 7:20pm
I'll try to answer all the questions in one post.

Pima Motorsports Park (PMP) is owned by Pima County and located on County land adjacent to the County fairgrounds. The Kart track (Mussleman Honda Circuit) is next to the MX track and is also owned by the county. Pima County grants a lease for each, the MX track and the Kart track, to operators who then run each.

This is where it gets a little confusing. The owner of Mussleman Honda shop (Mark) was also the lease holder to operate the PMP MX track. So, for the last 10 years they called it Musselman Cycles Motorsports Park (MCMP). Additionally, Mussleman Honda was also the title sponsor for the Kart track hence it being called the Mussleman Honda Circuit. However, Mark and the lease holder for the Kart track, Charlie, soon were at odds with each other so Mark stopped paying to be the title sponsor for the Kart track. However, Charlie kept using the Mussleman Honda Circuit name.

Fast Forward to 2020. Mark was getting tired of operating the MX track after 10 years and decided to let his lease run out. Charlie from the Kart track was apparently talking to the county about picking up the lease for the MX track in addition to the lease he already has for the Kart track. The rumors started swirling. I've heard that Charlie wants to convert the MX track area into everything from a SXS track, a full blown Indy Car road course, an off-road trophy truck track... etc. These rumors have just kept circulating around.

The fact is that Charlie has not even been granted the lease to operate the MX track. Not insofar as the county will tell me in my talks with them. They just keep being vague and saying "we are exploring our options." As far as the track being closed permanently, that should not be the case. It is merely between lease holders, assuming the county is going to grant a new lease. I have been encouraging all local folks to get in contact with the Pima county reps and express our concerns and desire that the MX track be reopened asap. Anyone want to run an MX track in Tucson?
SWMX
8/27/2020 7:37pm
I left nevada for AZ primarily because it was better riding more off-road industry opportunity for myself out here as well. Canyon is tough with how much charge, the split practice, and the amount of water they lay down. however it’s 10 minutes from my house and i still go all the time. ACP has it locked down. they are the best track in AZ in my opinion. rut track style is good out here as well, lots and lots of good dirt after the rain if you know where to go. There’s also crazy good jump spots here all over the place as well.
CSAR FE
8/28/2020 3:46am
FGR01 wrote:
I'll try to answer all the questions in one post. Pima Motorsports Park (PMP) is owned by Pima County and located on County land adjacent to...

Pima Motorsports Park (PMP) is owned by Pima County and located on County land adjacent to the County fairgrounds. The Kart track (Mussleman Honda Circuit) is next to the MX track and is also owned by the county. Pima County grants a lease for each, the MX track and the Kart track, to operators who then run each.

This is where it gets a little confusing. The owner of Mussleman Honda shop (Mark) was also the lease holder to operate the PMP MX track. So, for the last 10 years they called it Musselman Cycles Motorsports Park (MCMP). Additionally, Mussleman Honda was also the title sponsor for the Kart track hence it being called the Mussleman Honda Circuit. However, Mark and the lease holder for the Kart track, Charlie, soon were at odds with each other so Mark stopped paying to be the title sponsor for the Kart track. However, Charlie kept using the Mussleman Honda Circuit name.

Fast Forward to 2020. Mark was getting tired of operating the MX track after 10 years and decided to let his lease run out. Charlie from the Kart track was apparently talking to the county about picking up the lease for the MX track in addition to the lease he already has for the Kart track. The rumors started swirling. I've heard that Charlie wants to convert the MX track area into everything from a SXS track, a full blown Indy Car road course, an off-road trophy truck track... etc. These rumors have just kept circulating around.

The fact is that Charlie has not even been granted the lease to operate the MX track. Not insofar as the county will tell me in my talks with them. They just keep being vague and saying "we are exploring our options." As far as the track being closed permanently, that should not be the case. It is merely between lease holders, assuming the county is going to grant a new lease. I have been encouraging all local folks to get in contact with the Pima county reps and express our concerns and desire that the MX track be reopened asap. Anyone want to run an MX track in Tucson?
Thank you for the clarification. I was going off of their social media post when “closing”.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
8/28/2020 8:08am
CSAR FE wrote:
Thank you for the clarification. I was going off of their social media post when “closing”.
Ahh, yeah I think that was Mark's leaving the building post.

Have you heard of Nomads, the track we have down here in SV? We are a club and run it. 90% of the time it is in crappy condition and open only to club members. However, we do prep it and open it to the public for practice a few times a year. Next open practice is currently scheduled for 25-Oct. If you're on FB I can send you the invite.
CSAR FE
8/28/2020 5:43pm
CSAR FE wrote:
FGR01 wrote:
Ahh, yeah I think that was Mark's leaving the building post. Have you heard of Nomads, the track we have down here in SV? We are...

Have you heard of Nomads, the track we have down here in SV? We are a club and run it. 90% of the time it is in crappy condition and open only to club members. However, we do prep it and open it to the public for practice a few times a year. Next open practice is currently scheduled for 25-Oct. If you're on FB I can send you the invite.
I have not. I don’t have FB. Is there any way we can do it over email?
skeef
Fantasy
1421st
8/28/2020 6:02pm
Well for one our tracks are about 30-50% less busy than the popular CA tracks but still have similar demand as far as equipment, water, and on site medics. I know ACP is $30 and totally worth it in my opinion. They water constantly, groom the track well and seem to add mulch and sand frequently. The owner is rad and has been an industry guy for 30 years. We do a lot of business with them, also they are really the only "pro" style track in the state. They offer more than just moto aswell. Supercross track, sand drags, UTV short corse, and they run races and events all throughout the year. (pre covid) We have great single track, open dez, and BLM land. My buddies and I go build turn tracks out in the desert every year and have a blast. But honestly we are at full capacity so don't comeWink jk the more moto guys the merrier, but it seems the state is changing for sure. So don't think you are completely running away from the BS.
vananagon
8/28/2020 6:33pm
Moved here from Michigan in 2008. Wasn't terrible but was different then.

Now, AZ moto scene sucks track wise. Desert is pretty good of you get away from all the side by sides. ACP is a decent track though. Canyon has potential, was pretty sweet in like 2010 but is pretty lame now and $40. It is a track to ride though, if it was like in 2010 it would be easier to pay $40.
db186
4/21/2021 7:08am
FGR01 wrote:
I'll try to answer all the questions in one post. Pima Motorsports Park (PMP) is owned by Pima County and located on County land adjacent to...

Old thread but I'd like to chime in. I'm sure you know that ET Motopark / AZ Speedway will be closed for good now by November '21. Apparently some housing manufacturers bought land in San Tan area and immediately got together and wrote up some bogus BS about 'noise' forcing the owners to close the dirt track (a long with the moto track). I too am a SoCal transplant and looking for places to ride asides from AZCP and Canyon. How's that Pima County thing looking? And still a no-go with the Tucson MX track thus far?
db186
4/21/2021 7:20am
CSAR FE wrote:
FGR01 wrote:
Ahh, yeah I think that was Mark's leaving the building post. Have you heard of Nomads, the track we have down here in SV? We are...

Hello and good day. Sorry to jump into the convo here but I couldn't resist lol. I'm also from SoCal but currently living in East Valley (Maricopa County) however my wife and I may be moving to SV for my work. Are you guys still doing the club for Nomad's (figured I'd ask with the covid stuff going on)
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
4/21/2021 7:24am
db186 wrote:
Hello and good day. Sorry to jump into the convo here but I couldn't resist lol. I'm also from SoCal but currently living in East Valley...
Hello and good day. Sorry to jump into the convo here but I couldn't resist lol. I'm also from SoCal but currently living in East Valley (Maricopa County) however my wife and I may be moving to SV for my work. Are you guys still doing the club for Nomad's (figured I'd ask with the covid stuff going on)
DB, I'll answer both posts.

PMP-Tucson: Still no movement. Track sits idle. I believe if a serious operator approached the county with a lease proposal that would get things going.

Nomads SV: Yes, we still have the club and the track. Send me a PM and we can talk details.
motodad312
4/21/2021 10:30am
Join the rest of CA and move to TX. Moto scene in DFW is awesome!
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
12/8/2021 8:28am
db186 wrote:
Hello and good day. Sorry to jump into the convo here but I couldn't resist lol. I'm also from SoCal but currently living in East Valley...
FGR01 wrote:
DB, I'll answer both posts. PMP-Tucson: Still no movement. Track sits idle. I believe if a serious operator approached the county with a lease proposal that...
DB, I'll answer both posts.

PMP-Tucson: Still no movement. Track sits idle. I believe if a serious operator approached the county with a lease proposal that would get things going.

Nomads SV: Yes, we still have the club and the track. Send me a PM and we can talk details.
Reviving an old thread. I may have a job opportunity in the Tucson area and am wondering if anything has changed around the Moto scene in AZ? Thanks in advance.

Post a reply to: Az Moto Scene

The Latest