ACL Injury

sundios
3/25/2009 11:19am Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 10:52am
Does anybody injured the anterior cruciate ligament? and did not have surgery? and still ride bike..
This weekend i went to a enduro race and in a corner with roots, my knee got stucked and twist it in 180° and hurt my anterior cruciate ligament. I went to a sport doctor and he told me that i have to do surgury , but also i can stay with the injury and keep riding bikes till the end of the champiship and then have surgury?

Any expirerience with this? or any one that knows about this?

(sorry for my engilsh)
|
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
3/25/2009 11:22am
Didn't MC rode with seriously tweaked ACL for a long time.
3/25/2009 11:26am
I did it for 5 or so years. It just depends on how strong the muscles are around the knee and what irritates it most. Make sure to wear a brace and the rest is how much pain you can deal with. I finally had it fixed three weeks ago and it feels fine now.
MOTOCOACH
3/25/2009 11:29am
Sundios--my pro rider just tore his ACL in January and did have to have surgery due to some damage to his miniscus. If he didn't tear the miniscus, he would have been able to ride, but chanced further damage. If you are in a championship hunt, and you want to finish, you are taking a chance on more damage and a longer recovery time. If you can get the surgery now, get it! you will only be out about 3 months (depending on your rehab efforts and how good your surgeon is), but if you damage more, you can be out for 8-10 months. good luck!
andymoto
3/25/2009 11:41am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 11:05pm
Rode and ran for 15 years on one. After quit racing to help another racer, still didn't give me much difficulty. Got the injury by knee hitting a 4X4 bumper with me not wearing any protection.

If you got good insurance; suggest a physical therapist referral from your doctor or do your own RICE.
Also a MRI to see if you got cartlidge damage like MOTOCOACH says. My own biggest problem was hematoma edema and after that went away, was able to ride and run again.

The Shop

-eagle-
3/25/2009 11:58am
Good luck. Shittiest injury ever.
maicoman
3/25/2009 12:00pm
My left knee has no ACL . I damaged it 20 years ago and never had the surgery. I still ride.
If I could do it over, I would get the surgery with a cadaver transplant, 9mm.

croom mx
3/25/2009 12:11pm
My ACL was torn in 1979 never had surgery but my knee was always loose and was easy to injure during hard riding. Its true that the muscles around your knee will strengthen and will help support the knee without the ACL. The Doctors call this favoring the knee. A knee brace helps alot.
ANDREASF
3/18/2018 9:46am
I had a crash 2 weeks ago.
MRI shown ACL cut, Tear of meniscus and tribial plataue fracture.
Good news,I walk and from the first time without pain of instability of knee (of course due to the damages I dont try ti run or jumb etc)
I will try to avoid surgery (maybe I do for meniscus only) on ACL by straightening Quadriceps muscle and a very good knee brace such as Cti , POD etc
Eddieg15
3/18/2018 10:49am
Tore mine in 97. No surgery still ridn. Just have to watch it. Have to ride w braces.
ando
3/18/2018 11:37am
If you don’t get it fixed there’s a much higher chance you’ll be up for a knee replacement later in life.
zehn
3/18/2018 11:39am
Ruptured mine in 2010... There are different degrees of ACL injuries. If you tweaked it or only tore it a little you should be okay, beyond the pain.

If you rupture it, you can't even walk, let along stand on a bike. Sounds like you have a small tear. Your decision what to do about it, but pain and weakness only increase the chance of it happening again.
ANDREASF
3/18/2018 12:11pm
zehn wrote:
Ruptured mine in 2010... There are different degrees of ACL injuries. If you tweaked it or only tore it a little you should be okay, beyond...
Ruptured mine in 2010... There are different degrees of ACL injuries. If you tweaked it or only tore it a little you should be okay, beyond the pain.

If you rupture it, you can't even walk, let along stand on a bike. Sounds like you have a small tear. Your decision what to do about it, but pain and weakness only increase the chance of it happening again.
This is my surprise ... I crashed and walk directly without pain and without instability..of course I have not try to run or jump as only 2 weeks and the fracture is very fresh and may I creat biggest problem... even the doctor he made the tests for ACL and only a minor slack he though he feel. ...
I think I have to visit an other doctor which he is more expert with sports and knee injures.
ANDREASF
3/18/2018 12:16pm
ando wrote:
If you don’t get it fixed there’s a much higher chance you’ll be up for a knee replacement later in life.
Yes It is the result of a damaged ACL this is true.
My schedule is when the fracture of plateau is ok ( doctor told me for 6 weeks that need) I schedule to make the operation for meniscus.This is a very easy and not need big period to be idle.
However the ACL operation eventhough is 1,5-2 hours and next day you are at home .. needs totaly 6 month to return to normal athletic action.
If it is necessary I have to do it in any case
BobbyM
3/18/2018 12:42pm
sundios wrote:
Does anybody injured the anterior cruciate ligament? and did not have surgery? and still ride bike.. This weekend i went to a enduro race and in...
Does anybody injured the anterior cruciate ligament? and did not have surgery? and still ride bike..
This weekend i went to a enduro race and in a corner with roots, my knee got stucked and twist it in 180° and hurt my anterior cruciate ligament. I went to a sport doctor and he told me that i have to do surgury , but also i can stay with the injury and keep riding bikes till the end of the champiship and then have surgury?

Any expirerience with this? or any one that knows about this?

(sorry for my engilsh)
Yes but I can spell. Jk... Lived and still rode a scooter with hardly no issues.
TerryB
3/18/2018 1:38pm
I had an ACL replacement 3 days ago! My surgeon used a cadaver graft, based on my age, (at 52, a cadaver is my closest match?).

I suffered a complete ACL tear about 15 years ago. (Sometimes Life gets in the way). It ended most all of my riding except for play riding. A proper brace would most certainly expand what you are able to do, but I never invested in that. It had gotten the point where I couldn’t enjoy bicycling without pain and swelling, so I finally had something done about it.
zuk338
3/19/2018 5:21pm
zehn wrote:
Ruptured mine in 2010... There are different degrees of ACL injuries. If you tweaked it or only tore it a little you should be okay, beyond...

I had a full acl tear that happened on the first day of a moto trip, I could not walk very well but I rode my ass off the whole time. Got home and let it go for a few more weeks before getting an MRI then let it go until the winter. Had surgery and didn’t follow doc orders and therapy and ended up having another surgery 2 years later to fix the scar tissue. It’s been 5 years and I barely notice it anymore.
Motoxdoc
3/19/2018 5:49pm
If it's not a complete detachment, ACL's will heal without surgery. Scar tissue will lay down and strengthen damaged areas. However, in the initial phase when it's acute (recently occured) and inflammed it will be painful if you stress the ligament in any way.....and when it does heal it will be in an elongated state, meaning it will be less stable (this is what surgery fixes). The ACL keeps your tibial plateau from shifting forwards under the femur. Wear knee braces and DON'T KICK ANYTHING!

Post a reply to: ACL Injury

The Latest