A very "real" thread.

Tbteam
Posts
2869
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Ormond Beach, FL, USA
Edited Date/Time 11/20/2020 5:25pm
Something that others see as motivational and inspiring really pisses me off.

I'm talking about how every so often I stumble across an article about someone who had a critical spine injury and "due to the fact that they refused to give up" they can now walk and carry on like they "beat" the injury through perseverance.

Don't misunderstand me. The fact that ANYONE can make it through that dark tunnel and be able to function with any semblance of normalcy is absolutely "inspiring" and "motivational". I truly feel for those that have gone through this.

But let's leave the bullshit out, shall we? Nobody uses willpower and determination to walk again after a SCI. Some recover more than others because they work harder, and they put out so much effort that they regain some mobility that others simply didn't work hard enough to achieve. Most importantly, their body allows them to recover.

As far as the idea that someone can simply say "I knew I could beat it and I did", well, fuck you. Your injury allowed you to recover. You weren't injured enough to be permanently in a chair. Period.

Do you think Magoo wouldn't have worked hard enough to recover? How about Ernie? David? Pit? Tony D? how about the many other lesser known victims of a SCI. Did they not want to work?

Every time I read an article about someone "not allowing themselves to be permanently in a chair" or some version of this, I'm really happy for that person, and at the same time, fuck off.

OK, rant over. This has bothered me for a long long time. I'm overjoyed for anyone that has been able to recover, but making claims about working through it is demeaning to those who live in a chair.
84
5
|
tobz
Posts
3891
Joined
3/5/2007
Location
Adelaide, AU
11/18/2020 6:21pm
What a weird thing to get angry about.

I mean. They literally could have given up and not gone through blood sweat and tears of rehab. Who are you to say it wasn’t the most difficult thing they’ve ever had to do? Sorry to say but some people do give up.

Do you want them to have a disclosure at the bottom of the article
*not directed at those who faced irrepairable injuries, only directed at those who experienced an injury where they could not walk again UNLESS they went through copious amounts of rehab.

Hope the thread made you feel better anyway.
9
37
Tbteam
Posts
2869
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Ormond Beach, FL, USA
11/18/2020 6:41pm
tobz wrote:
What a weird thing to get angry about. I mean. They literally could have given up and not gone through blood sweat and tears of rehab...
What a weird thing to get angry about.

I mean. They literally could have given up and not gone through blood sweat and tears of rehab. Who are you to say it wasn’t the most difficult thing they’ve ever had to do? Sorry to say but some people do give up.

Do you want them to have a disclosure at the bottom of the article
*not directed at those who faced irrepairable injuries, only directed at those who experienced an injury where they could not walk again UNLESS they went through copious amounts of rehab.

Hope the thread made you feel better anyway.
You’ve focused on the wrong thing. I’m pissed iff at the insinuation by anyone, and in many cases it’s those surrounding the injured party, that attribute their recovery to working so hard that they overcame the injury.

It’s a complete lack of respect for those with a SCI that had no chance to recover. “I just wanted it more.” “I knew that I could beat the injury.”

As I clearly stated, and you must have glossed over, I would never discount the effort that it takes to get back on your feet after something like this. But don’t create fantasy. You didn’t cure paralysis... the level of your injury left the door open to do so.
30
3
ocscottie
Posts
69092
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Redding, CA, USA
11/18/2020 6:51pm
Well said Mark. Not everyone probably knows how close you were to David, and how this hits home so hard. I do.
38
11/18/2020 6:57pm
One day technology will allow for implantation of chips within the Spinal column to complete the circuit and reconnect what’s been severed. That will be a great day for everyone.
21

The Shop

MxKing809
Posts
6374
Joined
10/13/2013
Location
Big Sand Whoops, MI, USA
Fantasy
11/18/2020 7:05pm Edited Date/Time 11/19/2020 4:57am
ocscottie wrote:
Well said Mark. Not everyone probably knows how close you were to David, and how this hits home so hard. I do.
If OC supports this - I’m all in on it. Never really thought of it that way TB
2
2
Tbteam
Posts
2869
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Ormond Beach, FL, USA
11/18/2020 7:08pm Edited Date/Time 11/18/2020 7:10pm
ocscottie wrote:
Well said Mark. Not everyone probably knows how close you were to David, and how this hits home so hard. I do.
I know your story well, Scottie. But you know what? Every time you post it I read every single word. I hope you’re doing well, and happy birthday, my friend.
12
jemcee
Posts
12861
Joined
8/11/2008
Location
AU
11/18/2020 7:14pm
Oh man it's infuriating when people say ''Ya just gotta stay positive'' or ''put the work in'' You'll beat this..
We had a guy that would come into the hospital to visit, who thought he was Mr Inspiring cause he was walking again, but he did the tiniest amount of 'damage' to his cord when he fell over drunk, and his recovery was assured.. He would always imply that it was his work that lead him to his rehab but one of the physio fucked him off and told us he was only in the hospital for a couple months haha (I was in for 8 months)

I thought this was gonna be about when people see us doing everyday things and they say ''oh you're so inspiring'' haha I'm like, I just left the fucken house! It's obviously coming from a good place but it kinda says 'your life is so terrible, you just continuing to live is amazing to me' haha
7
ocscottie
Posts
69092
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Redding, CA, USA
11/18/2020 8:00pm
jemcee wrote:
Oh man it's infuriating when people say ''Ya just gotta stay positive'' or ''put the work in'' You'll beat this.. We had a guy that would...
Oh man it's infuriating when people say ''Ya just gotta stay positive'' or ''put the work in'' You'll beat this..
We had a guy that would come into the hospital to visit, who thought he was Mr Inspiring cause he was walking again, but he did the tiniest amount of 'damage' to his cord when he fell over drunk, and his recovery was assured.. He would always imply that it was his work that lead him to his rehab but one of the physio fucked him off and told us he was only in the hospital for a couple months haha (I was in for 8 months)

I thought this was gonna be about when people see us doing everyday things and they say ''oh you're so inspiring'' haha I'm like, I just left the fucken house! It's obviously coming from a good place but it kinda says 'your life is so terrible, you just continuing to live is amazing to me' haha
Or "you just got to believe!" oh man in my 36 years now the stories are endless and aggravating. Wish I had a dollar for every one of them, I'd be a rich man.

The best one ever was after winning a moto racing my Pilot, a lady came up to me and said, "can I ask a personal question...how does your wheelchair fit in the car?" LOL!!! I about fell out of my chair. Sometimes we get some comedy relief in the naivety of common folk.
10
jemcee
Posts
12861
Joined
8/11/2008
Location
AU
11/18/2020 8:22pm
ocscottie wrote:
Or "you just got to believe!" oh man in my 36 years now the stories are endless and aggravating. Wish I had a dollar for every...
Or "you just got to believe!" oh man in my 36 years now the stories are endless and aggravating. Wish I had a dollar for every one of them, I'd be a rich man.

The best one ever was after winning a moto racing my Pilot, a lady came up to me and said, "can I ask a personal question...how does your wheelchair fit in the car?" LOL!!! I about fell out of my chair. Sometimes we get some comedy relief in the naivety of common folk.
I always get the 'can I pray for you?' and usually I just smile and say sure (as you know I'm far from religious) but one time I had one tool get right in my face about it and wouldn't let it go as if he was really making a difference so I got the shits and said "you're not praying for me you're praying for you using me, If your god can do something about it but won't until asked, he can fuck right off!" haha
17
burn1986
Posts
12246
Joined
4/16/2010
Location
bossier city, LA, USA
11/18/2020 8:29pm
ocscottie wrote:
Or "you just got to believe!" oh man in my 36 years now the stories are endless and aggravating. Wish I had a dollar for every...
Or "you just got to believe!" oh man in my 36 years now the stories are endless and aggravating. Wish I had a dollar for every one of them, I'd be a rich man.

The best one ever was after winning a moto racing my Pilot, a lady came up to me and said, "can I ask a personal question...how does your wheelchair fit in the car?" LOL!!! I about fell out of my chair. Sometimes we get some comedy relief in the naivety of common folk.
jemcee wrote:
I always get the 'can I pray for you?' and usually I just smile and say sure (as you know I'm far from religious) but one...
I always get the 'can I pray for you?' and usually I just smile and say sure (as you know I'm far from religious) but one time I had one tool get right in my face about it and wouldn't let it go as if he was really making a difference so I got the shits and said "you're not praying for me you're praying for you using me, If your god can do something about it but won't until asked, he can fuck right off!" haha
Yep. Why couldn’t the guy just pray for you on his own?
2
jemcee
Posts
12861
Joined
8/11/2008
Location
AU
11/18/2020 8:35pm
burn1986 wrote:
Yep. Why couldn’t the guy just pray for you on his own?
I think they wanted to make sure I knew they were praying for me cause that's how wonderful they were and that's how appreciative I should've been haha or I was being overly sensitive and had a go at someone doing their best to be nice (either way I'm goin to hell if it exists haha)
4
1
TXDirt
Posts
7789
Joined
7/29/2015
Location
Plano, TX, USA
11/18/2020 8:36pm
I agree and wish we all could be more cognizant of the words we choose. The only thing I can say is that I think these comments and phrasing from people comes from a good place and maybe mix in a bit of ignorance with good intent.
3
ProKawi24
Posts
2147
Joined
2/20/2018
Location
Herald, CA, USA
11/18/2020 8:39pm Edited Date/Time 11/18/2020 8:42pm
Totally understand how you feel.

For about 4 years after my accident it was nothing but
- physical therapy several hours every day
- experimental surgeries (including having scar tissue cut away from my spinal cord)
- experimental treatments (including having Blue Shark stem cells injected straight into my spinal cord)
- using leg braces and a walker as a way to maybe get my brain to fire signals to my legs to walk.
- electronic stimulation machines
- several other random things I can't even remember

Nothing worked. I finally got burnt out and wanted to move on with life. 20 years later I'm still in the chair. Broke T4,5,6,7,8,9 and had rods installed from T3-T10. Had all that removed a few years after the accident. Seeing/hearing stuff like that doesn't bother me so much anymore, maybe after 20 years I've just become numb to it. Anyone not in a chair or close to someone who is just doesn't seem to understand how incredibly sensitive the SC is and how different every injury can be.

I still go through random periods where I feel really irritable and my injury gets to me a bit (especially when the random bowel/bladder incident occurs). If you ever need to vent or someone to talk with who knows what you're going through feel free to contact me anytime. My email is carl24lindsey3@gmail.com I don't mind giving you my cell too. That goes for anyone else here in a chair.
38
jemcee
Posts
12861
Joined
8/11/2008
Location
AU
11/18/2020 8:42pm Edited Date/Time 11/18/2020 8:46pm
TXDirt wrote:
I agree and wish we all could be more cognizant of the words we choose. The only thing I can say is that I think these...
I agree and wish we all could be more cognizant of the words we choose. The only thing I can say is that I think these comments and phrasing from people comes from a good place and maybe mix in a bit of ignorance with good intent.
Absolutely!

My responses always depend on their tone.. 99.9% of the time its just someone being genuinely nice and not realising how it could be taken, shit I know I'd be guilty of it talking to someone dealing with something I had no experience with

And the .1 just get a smile and a nod... Unless they push it, then they get the worlds frustrations vented at them haha
mike117
Posts
130
Joined
3/11/2018
Location
USA
11/18/2020 9:01pm
Tbteam wrote:
Something that others see as motivational and inspiring really pisses me off. I'm talking about how every so often I stumble across an article about someone...
Something that others see as motivational and inspiring really pisses me off.

I'm talking about how every so often I stumble across an article about someone who had a critical spine injury and "due to the fact that they refused to give up" they can now walk and carry on like they "beat" the injury through perseverance.

Don't misunderstand me. The fact that ANYONE can make it through that dark tunnel and be able to function with any semblance of normalcy is absolutely "inspiring" and "motivational". I truly feel for those that have gone through this.

But let's leave the bullshit out, shall we? Nobody uses willpower and determination to walk again after a SCI. Some recover more than others because they work harder, and they put out so much effort that they regain some mobility that others simply didn't work hard enough to achieve. Most importantly, their body allows them to recover.

As far as the idea that someone can simply say "I knew I could beat it and I did", well, fuck you. Your injury allowed you to recover. You weren't injured enough to be permanently in a chair. Period.

Do you think Magoo wouldn't have worked hard enough to recover? How about Ernie? David? Pit? Tony D? how about the many other lesser known victims of a SCI. Did they not want to work?

Every time I read an article about someone "not allowing themselves to be permanently in a chair" or some version of this, I'm really happy for that person, and at the same time, fuck off.

OK, rant over. This has bothered me for a long long time. I'm overjoyed for anyone that has been able to recover, but making claims about working through it is demeaning to those who live in a chair.
I always feel the same way when I hear that someone "beat cancer". Kind of implies it's a matter of will, and it isn't. As if the person who "lost their battle" with cancer didn't fight hard enough, or wasn't as strong as the other person who survived it. Sure, there are more and better treatments everyday, thankfully. But I'm sure most of us knew or loved people who went through all the treatment, fought like hell, and still succumbed to it.
14
Motoxdoc
Posts
2712
Joined
11/8/2009
Location
Steamboat Springs, CO, USA
11/18/2020 9:05pm Edited Date/Time 11/18/2020 9:09pm
Tbteam wrote:
Something that others see as motivational and inspiring really pisses me off. I'm talking about how every so often I stumble across an article about someone...
Something that others see as motivational and inspiring really pisses me off.

I'm talking about how every so often I stumble across an article about someone who had a critical spine injury and "due to the fact that they refused to give up" they can now walk and carry on like they "beat" the injury through perseverance.

Don't misunderstand me. The fact that ANYONE can make it through that dark tunnel and be able to function with any semblance of normalcy is absolutely "inspiring" and "motivational". I truly feel for those that have gone through this.

But let's leave the bullshit out, shall we? Nobody uses willpower and determination to walk again after a SCI. Some recover more than others because they work harder, and they put out so much effort that they regain some mobility that others simply didn't work hard enough to achieve. Most importantly, their body allows them to recover.

As far as the idea that someone can simply say "I knew I could beat it and I did", well, fuck you. Your injury allowed you to recover. You weren't injured enough to be permanently in a chair. Period.

Do you think Magoo wouldn't have worked hard enough to recover? How about Ernie? David? Pit? Tony D? how about the many other lesser known victims of a SCI. Did they not want to work?

Every time I read an article about someone "not allowing themselves to be permanently in a chair" or some version of this, I'm really happy for that person, and at the same time, fuck off.

OK, rant over. This has bothered me for a long long time. I'm overjoyed for anyone that has been able to recover, but making claims about working through it is demeaning to those who live in a chair.
What's the point you're trying to make?....That a person can't improve the condition of their SCI through willpower, determination, perseverance and refusing to give up?...or you just don't like hearing about it? Are you telling people who overcame a SCI through hard work to "fuck off"? Huh

I understand that there are some SCI's that can NOT be helped with willpower and determination. I also know that there are many SCI's that CAN be helped with these attributes. Just because a SCI "allows then to recover"...that does NOT necessarily mean that they will spontaneously recover without serious hard work and a positive attitude.

Obviously I'm in the minority here but....It seems ironic to me that you wrote these two sentences back to back.

"Nobody uses willpower and determination to walk again after a SCI. Some recover more than others because they work harder, and they put out so much effort that they regain some mobility that others simply didn't work hard enough to achieve."

Also, the following sentence is another contradiction at best...on the other hand, some might call slightly cruel.

"Every time I read an article about someone "not allowing themselves to be permanently in a chair" or some version of this, I'm really happy for that person, and at the same time, fuck off.".

I wish I could say I'm shocked that you actually wrote this sentence out and clicked "submit", but this is vital so I'm not. Heck, at this point 32 other members read your rant and thought, yup, I can get on board with this guy, fuck people who share their stories about overcoming a SCI through hard work.


2
28
Chance1216
Posts
8975
Joined
4/1/2018
Location
Carson, CA, USA
11/18/2020 9:37pm Edited Date/Time 11/18/2020 9:45pm
Tbteam wrote:
Something that others see as motivational and inspiring really pisses me off. I'm talking about how every so often I stumble across an article about someone...
Something that others see as motivational and inspiring really pisses me off.

I'm talking about how every so often I stumble across an article about someone who had a critical spine injury and "due to the fact that they refused to give up" they can now walk and carry on like they "beat" the injury through perseverance.

Don't misunderstand me. The fact that ANYONE can make it through that dark tunnel and be able to function with any semblance of normalcy is absolutely "inspiring" and "motivational". I truly feel for those that have gone through this.

But let's leave the bullshit out, shall we? Nobody uses willpower and determination to walk again after a SCI. Some recover more than others because they work harder, and they put out so much effort that they regain some mobility that others simply didn't work hard enough to achieve. Most importantly, their body allows them to recover.

As far as the idea that someone can simply say "I knew I could beat it and I did", well, fuck you. Your injury allowed you to recover. You weren't injured enough to be permanently in a chair. Period.

Do you think Magoo wouldn't have worked hard enough to recover? How about Ernie? David? Pit? Tony D? how about the many other lesser known victims of a SCI. Did they not want to work?

Every time I read an article about someone "not allowing themselves to be permanently in a chair" or some version of this, I'm really happy for that person, and at the same time, fuck off.

OK, rant over. This has bothered me for a long long time. I'm overjoyed for anyone that has been able to recover, but making claims about working through it is demeaning to those who live in a chair.
Motoxdoc wrote:
What's the point you're trying to make?....That a person can't improve the condition of their SCI through willpower, determination, perseverance and refusing to give up?...or you...
What's the point you're trying to make?....That a person can't improve the condition of their SCI through willpower, determination, perseverance and refusing to give up?...or you just don't like hearing about it? Are you telling people who overcame a SCI through hard work to "fuck off"? Huh

I understand that there are some SCI's that can NOT be helped with willpower and determination. I also know that there are many SCI's that CAN be helped with these attributes. Just because a SCI "allows then to recover"...that does NOT necessarily mean that they will spontaneously recover without serious hard work and a positive attitude.

Obviously I'm in the minority here but....It seems ironic to me that you wrote these two sentences back to back.

"Nobody uses willpower and determination to walk again after a SCI. Some recover more than others because they work harder, and they put out so much effort that they regain some mobility that others simply didn't work hard enough to achieve."

Also, the following sentence is another contradiction at best...on the other hand, some might call slightly cruel.

"Every time I read an article about someone "not allowing themselves to be permanently in a chair" or some version of this, I'm really happy for that person, and at the same time, fuck off.".

I wish I could say I'm shocked that you actually wrote this sentence out and clicked "submit", but this is vital so I'm not. Heck, at this point 32 other members read your rant and thought, yup, I can get on board with this guy, fuck people who share their stories about overcoming a SCI through hard work.


Your looking at it from the wrong angle. The way I interpreted it was, the people being addressed only recovered from their hard work and having the ability to beat it. Almost as if those left in a chair aren’t working hard enough to recover.
My cousin is in a chair. She has been since 81. It’s hurtful hearing people say, “You just gotta work harder and want it more”. Like she doesn’t want out of her chair or isn’t doing or had done everything possible.
And yeah, I was the second person to post a thumbs up. Not because I wanna jump on board but, because I get it.
19
tobz
Posts
3891
Joined
3/5/2007
Location
Adelaide, AU
11/19/2020 3:07am Edited Date/Time 11/19/2020 3:08am
Tbteam wrote:
Something that others see as motivational and inspiring really pisses me off. I'm talking about how every so often I stumble across an article about someone...
Something that others see as motivational and inspiring really pisses me off.

I'm talking about how every so often I stumble across an article about someone who had a critical spine injury and "due to the fact that they refused to give up" they can now walk and carry on like they "beat" the injury through perseverance.

Don't misunderstand me. The fact that ANYONE can make it through that dark tunnel and be able to function with any semblance of normalcy is absolutely "inspiring" and "motivational". I truly feel for those that have gone through this.

But let's leave the bullshit out, shall we? Nobody uses willpower and determination to walk again after a SCI. Some recover more than others because they work harder, and they put out so much effort that they regain some mobility that others simply didn't work hard enough to achieve. Most importantly, their body allows them to recover.

As far as the idea that someone can simply say "I knew I could beat it and I did", well, fuck you. Your injury allowed you to recover. You weren't injured enough to be permanently in a chair. Period.

Do you think Magoo wouldn't have worked hard enough to recover? How about Ernie? David? Pit? Tony D? how about the many other lesser known victims of a SCI. Did they not want to work?

Every time I read an article about someone "not allowing themselves to be permanently in a chair" or some version of this, I'm really happy for that person, and at the same time, fuck off.

OK, rant over. This has bothered me for a long long time. I'm overjoyed for anyone that has been able to recover, but making claims about working through it is demeaning to those who live in a chair.
Motoxdoc wrote:
What's the point you're trying to make?....That a person can't improve the condition of their SCI through willpower, determination, perseverance and refusing to give up?...or you...
What's the point you're trying to make?....That a person can't improve the condition of their SCI through willpower, determination, perseverance and refusing to give up?...or you just don't like hearing about it? Are you telling people who overcame a SCI through hard work to "fuck off"? Huh

I understand that there are some SCI's that can NOT be helped with willpower and determination. I also know that there are many SCI's that CAN be helped with these attributes. Just because a SCI "allows then to recover"...that does NOT necessarily mean that they will spontaneously recover without serious hard work and a positive attitude.

Obviously I'm in the minority here but....It seems ironic to me that you wrote these two sentences back to back.

"Nobody uses willpower and determination to walk again after a SCI. Some recover more than others because they work harder, and they put out so much effort that they regain some mobility that others simply didn't work hard enough to achieve."

Also, the following sentence is another contradiction at best...on the other hand, some might call slightly cruel.

"Every time I read an article about someone "not allowing themselves to be permanently in a chair" or some version of this, I'm really happy for that person, and at the same time, fuck off.".

I wish I could say I'm shocked that you actually wrote this sentence out and clicked "submit", but this is vital so I'm not. Heck, at this point 32 other members read your rant and thought, yup, I can get on board with this guy, fuck people who share their stories about overcoming a SCI through hard work.


getting angry about something that literally isn’t being said is the thing to do these days I guess.

To the OP, and the 39 other circle jerking gentlemen’s club members. by definition you couldn’t offer praise to anyone about achieving anything, given the chance that there’s another person in the world who failed at the same objective.
4
19
Tbteam
Posts
2869
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Ormond Beach, FL, USA
11/19/2020 3:19am
Tbteam wrote:
Something that others see as motivational and inspiring really pisses me off. I'm talking about how every so often I stumble across an article about someone...
Something that others see as motivational and inspiring really pisses me off.

I'm talking about how every so often I stumble across an article about someone who had a critical spine injury and "due to the fact that they refused to give up" they can now walk and carry on like they "beat" the injury through perseverance.

Don't misunderstand me. The fact that ANYONE can make it through that dark tunnel and be able to function with any semblance of normalcy is absolutely "inspiring" and "motivational". I truly feel for those that have gone through this.

But let's leave the bullshit out, shall we? Nobody uses willpower and determination to walk again after a SCI. Some recover more than others because they work harder, and they put out so much effort that they regain some mobility that others simply didn't work hard enough to achieve. Most importantly, their body allows them to recover.

As far as the idea that someone can simply say "I knew I could beat it and I did", well, fuck you. Your injury allowed you to recover. You weren't injured enough to be permanently in a chair. Period.

Do you think Magoo wouldn't have worked hard enough to recover? How about Ernie? David? Pit? Tony D? how about the many other lesser known victims of a SCI. Did they not want to work?

Every time I read an article about someone "not allowing themselves to be permanently in a chair" or some version of this, I'm really happy for that person, and at the same time, fuck off.

OK, rant over. This has bothered me for a long long time. I'm overjoyed for anyone that has been able to recover, but making claims about working through it is demeaning to those who live in a chair.
Motoxdoc wrote:
What's the point you're trying to make?....That a person can't improve the condition of their SCI through willpower, determination, perseverance and refusing to give up?...or you...
What's the point you're trying to make?....That a person can't improve the condition of their SCI through willpower, determination, perseverance and refusing to give up?...or you just don't like hearing about it? Are you telling people who overcame a SCI through hard work to "fuck off"? Huh

I understand that there are some SCI's that can NOT be helped with willpower and determination. I also know that there are many SCI's that CAN be helped with these attributes. Just because a SCI "allows then to recover"...that does NOT necessarily mean that they will spontaneously recover without serious hard work and a positive attitude.

Obviously I'm in the minority here but....It seems ironic to me that you wrote these two sentences back to back.

"Nobody uses willpower and determination to walk again after a SCI. Some recover more than others because they work harder, and they put out so much effort that they regain some mobility that others simply didn't work hard enough to achieve."

Also, the following sentence is another contradiction at best...on the other hand, some might call slightly cruel.

"Every time I read an article about someone "not allowing themselves to be permanently in a chair" or some version of this, I'm really happy for that person, and at the same time, fuck off.".

I wish I could say I'm shocked that you actually wrote this sentence out and clicked "submit", but this is vital so I'm not. Heck, at this point 32 other members read your rant and thought, yup, I can get on board with this guy, fuck people who share their stories about overcoming a SCI through hard work.


There’s so much missing the point in your response that it’s difficult to respond. Just read my post again, I guess. The point of the first section you quoted is this... there’s a light switch concerning these injuries. If it’s on, you can recover with hard work. If it’s off, no amount of determination and hard work will make any difference. Ultimately, nobody should tell someone with a SCI to work harder and they can overcome it. By the same line of thought, if you were one of those that did recover, please don’t state that you simply worked harder and had more willpower than others.
11
1
11/19/2020 3:47am
Tbteam wrote:
Something that others see as motivational and inspiring really pisses me off. I'm talking about how every so often I stumble across an article about someone...
Something that others see as motivational and inspiring really pisses me off.

I'm talking about how every so often I stumble across an article about someone who had a critical spine injury and "due to the fact that they refused to give up" they can now walk and carry on like they "beat" the injury through perseverance.

Don't misunderstand me. The fact that ANYONE can make it through that dark tunnel and be able to function with any semblance of normalcy is absolutely "inspiring" and "motivational". I truly feel for those that have gone through this.

But let's leave the bullshit out, shall we? Nobody uses willpower and determination to walk again after a SCI. Some recover more than others because they work harder, and they put out so much effort that they regain some mobility that others simply didn't work hard enough to achieve. Most importantly, their body allows them to recover.

As far as the idea that someone can simply say "I knew I could beat it and I did", well, fuck you. Your injury allowed you to recover. You weren't injured enough to be permanently in a chair. Period.

Do you think Magoo wouldn't have worked hard enough to recover? How about Ernie? David? Pit? Tony D? how about the many other lesser known victims of a SCI. Did they not want to work?

Every time I read an article about someone "not allowing themselves to be permanently in a chair" or some version of this, I'm really happy for that person, and at the same time, fuck off.

OK, rant over. This has bothered me for a long long time. I'm overjoyed for anyone that has been able to recover, but making claims about working through it is demeaning to those who live in a chair.
Motoxdoc wrote:
What's the point you're trying to make?....That a person can't improve the condition of their SCI through willpower, determination, perseverance and refusing to give up?...or you...
What's the point you're trying to make?....That a person can't improve the condition of their SCI through willpower, determination, perseverance and refusing to give up?...or you just don't like hearing about it? Are you telling people who overcame a SCI through hard work to "fuck off"? Huh

I understand that there are some SCI's that can NOT be helped with willpower and determination. I also know that there are many SCI's that CAN be helped with these attributes. Just because a SCI "allows then to recover"...that does NOT necessarily mean that they will spontaneously recover without serious hard work and a positive attitude.

Obviously I'm in the minority here but....It seems ironic to me that you wrote these two sentences back to back.

"Nobody uses willpower and determination to walk again after a SCI. Some recover more than others because they work harder, and they put out so much effort that they regain some mobility that others simply didn't work hard enough to achieve."

Also, the following sentence is another contradiction at best...on the other hand, some might call slightly cruel.

"Every time I read an article about someone "not allowing themselves to be permanently in a chair" or some version of this, I'm really happy for that person, and at the same time, fuck off.".

I wish I could say I'm shocked that you actually wrote this sentence out and clicked "submit", but this is vital so I'm not. Heck, at this point 32 other members read your rant and thought, yup, I can get on board with this guy, fuck people who share their stories about overcoming a SCI through hard work.


tobz wrote:
getting angry about something that literally isn’t being said is the thing to do these days I guess. To the OP, and the 39 other circle...
getting angry about something that literally isn’t being said is the thing to do these days I guess.

To the OP, and the 39 other circle jerking gentlemen’s club members. by definition you couldn’t offer praise to anyone about achieving anything, given the chance that there’s another person in the world who failed at the same objective.
Tobz bro! Dont be a wanker
4
RoczenI94
Posts
3
Joined
11/19/2020
Location
State College, PA, USA
11/19/2020 6:29am
Incomplete C3 C4 quad myself , started out paralyzed from neck down and in a chair , had to call bell a nurse by blowing air through a straw ... as someone who’s been fortunate to be on the side to recover a great amount I certainly agree 100% with the statement of original post , I by no means would ever discredit the work other patients around me put in also with SCI injuries and often times feel they are the ones to look up too putting in just as much work and not recover as well , the toll it takes physically and mentally can only be known by being in the shoes which I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy

Things are by no means normal or like it was prior to my SCI accident but I certainly take every ability I’ve been fortunate to regain never for granted , I don’t look at that as anyone on outside to feel motivated by my recovery more so I feel I’m letting someone down who also had a SCI injury that’s not been able to regain what I have if I don’t keep pushing myself

I would 100% agree with original post as paralyzed person who has seen significant recovery
9
ZOBITO
Posts
572
Joined
9/6/2020
Location
MX
11/19/2020 6:44am
It's actually more the reactions you read on social media after a bad spine injury that sound weird to me...
Typically the classic "We know you're strong and you're gonna beat this!"
I understand this is all very well-intentioned and supposed to motivate...
But I don't think it does.
To this day, if your spinal cord is cut, it'll stay this way.
Will power won't fix it...
And if it happens to you, I guess you know it very well and fairy tales don't help.
4
11/19/2020 7:01am
It's also really fun to save somebody's life in the hospital and have their family attribute it to their prayer, or a higher power's plan. Like they did the work...but yeah I get it, carry on
13
3
Tbteam
Posts
2869
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Ormond Beach, FL, USA
11/19/2020 7:35am
Tbteam wrote:
Something that others see as motivational and inspiring really pisses me off. I'm talking about how every so often I stumble across an article about someone...
Something that others see as motivational and inspiring really pisses me off.

I'm talking about how every so often I stumble across an article about someone who had a critical spine injury and "due to the fact that they refused to give up" they can now walk and carry on like they "beat" the injury through perseverance.

Don't misunderstand me. The fact that ANYONE can make it through that dark tunnel and be able to function with any semblance of normalcy is absolutely "inspiring" and "motivational". I truly feel for those that have gone through this.

But let's leave the bullshit out, shall we? Nobody uses willpower and determination to walk again after a SCI. Some recover more than others because they work harder, and they put out so much effort that they regain some mobility that others simply didn't work hard enough to achieve. Most importantly, their body allows them to recover.

As far as the idea that someone can simply say "I knew I could beat it and I did", well, fuck you. Your injury allowed you to recover. You weren't injured enough to be permanently in a chair. Period.

Do you think Magoo wouldn't have worked hard enough to recover? How about Ernie? David? Pit? Tony D? how about the many other lesser known victims of a SCI. Did they not want to work?

Every time I read an article about someone "not allowing themselves to be permanently in a chair" or some version of this, I'm really happy for that person, and at the same time, fuck off.

OK, rant over. This has bothered me for a long long time. I'm overjoyed for anyone that has been able to recover, but making claims about working through it is demeaning to those who live in a chair.
Motoxdoc wrote:
What's the point you're trying to make?....That a person can't improve the condition of their SCI through willpower, determination, perseverance and refusing to give up?...or you...
What's the point you're trying to make?....That a person can't improve the condition of their SCI through willpower, determination, perseverance and refusing to give up?...or you just don't like hearing about it? Are you telling people who overcame a SCI through hard work to "fuck off"? Huh

I understand that there are some SCI's that can NOT be helped with willpower and determination. I also know that there are many SCI's that CAN be helped with these attributes. Just because a SCI "allows then to recover"...that does NOT necessarily mean that they will spontaneously recover without serious hard work and a positive attitude.

Obviously I'm in the minority here but....It seems ironic to me that you wrote these two sentences back to back.

"Nobody uses willpower and determination to walk again after a SCI. Some recover more than others because they work harder, and they put out so much effort that they regain some mobility that others simply didn't work hard enough to achieve."

Also, the following sentence is another contradiction at best...on the other hand, some might call slightly cruel.

"Every time I read an article about someone "not allowing themselves to be permanently in a chair" or some version of this, I'm really happy for that person, and at the same time, fuck off.".

I wish I could say I'm shocked that you actually wrote this sentence out and clicked "submit", but this is vital so I'm not. Heck, at this point 32 other members read your rant and thought, yup, I can get on board with this guy, fuck people who share their stories about overcoming a SCI through hard work.


tobz wrote:
getting angry about something that literally isn’t being said is the thing to do these days I guess. To the OP, and the 39 other circle...
getting angry about something that literally isn’t being said is the thing to do these days I guess.

To the OP, and the 39 other circle jerking gentlemen’s club members. by definition you couldn’t offer praise to anyone about achieving anything, given the chance that there’s another person in the world who failed at the same objective.
"Failed at the same objective?" Are you fucking kidding me? Failed?

If you have 40 stitches in your neck and survive is that the equivalent to having your head cut off? That's the point. These don't equate, and professing your strength and fortitude in a situation is pissing on everyone else that doesn't have an equal chance.
7
2
Bruce372
Posts
6329
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
11/19/2020 7:54am
Tbteam wrote:
Something that others see as motivational and inspiring really pisses me off. I'm talking about how every so often I stumble across an article about someone...
Something that others see as motivational and inspiring really pisses me off.

I'm talking about how every so often I stumble across an article about someone who had a critical spine injury and "due to the fact that they refused to give up" they can now walk and carry on like they "beat" the injury through perseverance.

Don't misunderstand me. The fact that ANYONE can make it through that dark tunnel and be able to function with any semblance of normalcy is absolutely "inspiring" and "motivational". I truly feel for those that have gone through this.

But let's leave the bullshit out, shall we? Nobody uses willpower and determination to walk again after a SCI. Some recover more than others because they work harder, and they put out so much effort that they regain some mobility that others simply didn't work hard enough to achieve. Most importantly, their body allows them to recover.

As far as the idea that someone can simply say "I knew I could beat it and I did", well, fuck you. Your injury allowed you to recover. You weren't injured enough to be permanently in a chair. Period.

Do you think Magoo wouldn't have worked hard enough to recover? How about Ernie? David? Pit? Tony D? how about the many other lesser known victims of a SCI. Did they not want to work?

Every time I read an article about someone "not allowing themselves to be permanently in a chair" or some version of this, I'm really happy for that person, and at the same time, fuck off.

OK, rant over. This has bothered me for a long long time. I'm overjoyed for anyone that has been able to recover, but making claims about working through it is demeaning to those who live in a chair.
mike117 wrote:
I always feel the same way when I hear that someone "beat cancer". Kind of implies it's a matter of will, and it isn't. As if...
I always feel the same way when I hear that someone "beat cancer". Kind of implies it's a matter of will, and it isn't. As if the person who "lost their battle" with cancer didn't fight hard enough, or wasn't as strong as the other person who survived it. Sure, there are more and better treatments everyday, thankfully. But I'm sure most of us knew or loved people who went through all the treatment, fought like hell, and still succumbed to it.
Thanks for bringing that up.

I was often told have brave inwas going through treatment. I really struggled with it..... its not bravery, you either don't take the treatment and get worse or you do take it and hope you improve.

What really rattles me now is people surviving through God's good grace yet those that didn't survive have crap doctors.

Best wishes and love to everyone in this thread, no matter your journey.
3
USA
Posts
2635
Joined
9/4/2016
Location
Richmond, TX, USA
Fantasy
11/19/2020 8:13am
tobz wrote:
getting angry about something that literally isn’t being said is the thing to do these days I guess. To the OP, and the 39 other circle...
getting angry about something that literally isn’t being said is the thing to do these days I guess.

To the OP, and the 39 other circle jerking gentlemen’s club members. by definition you couldn’t offer praise to anyone about achieving anything, given the chance that there’s another person in the world who failed at the same objective.
Wow, you miss the point completely and your true character shows, and its not a good look. Nobody said anything about people 'failing'. Its about how it's impossible for some people, and other people say things that imply they didn't work hard enough.

I believe English is not your first language so I will give you a bit of a pass. Man that was hard to read from you, I hope this isn't you on a 'good' day.
5
USA
Posts
2635
Joined
9/4/2016
Location
Richmond, TX, USA
Fantasy
11/19/2020 8:22am
Motoxdoc wrote:
What's the point you're trying to make?....That a person can't improve the condition of their SCI through willpower, determination, perseverance and refusing to give up?...or you...
What's the point you're trying to make?....That a person can't improve the condition of their SCI through willpower, determination, perseverance and refusing to give up?...or you just don't like hearing about it? Are you telling people who overcame a SCI through hard work to "fuck off"? Huh

I understand that there are some SCI's that can NOT be helped with willpower and determination. I also know that there are many SCI's that CAN be helped with these attributes. Just because a SCI "allows then to recover"...that does NOT necessarily mean that they will spontaneously recover without serious hard work and a positive attitude.

Obviously I'm in the minority here but....It seems ironic to me that you wrote these two sentences back to back.

"Nobody uses willpower and determination to walk again after a SCI. Some recover more than others because they work harder, and they put out so much effort that they regain some mobility that others simply didn't work hard enough to achieve."

Also, the following sentence is another contradiction at best...on the other hand, some might call slightly cruel.

"Every time I read an article about someone "not allowing themselves to be permanently in a chair" or some version of this, I'm really happy for that person, and at the same time, fuck off.".

I wish I could say I'm shocked that you actually wrote this sentence out and clicked "submit", but this is vital so I'm not. Heck, at this point 32 other members read your rant and thought, yup, I can get on board with this guy, fuck people who share their stories about overcoming a SCI through hard work.


How many research papers and stuff have you done? Do you normally take things out if context to fit your agenda? The next sentence that you conveniently left off from your first quote is: "Most importantly, their body allows them to recover."

I get that you might not like the delivery here, but to discount everything said because you don't like some stuff said? You missed the point. He's not saying he doesn't want to hear from people overcoming SCIs, he says he doesn't like the notion that some people make it look like anyone can, when that's not true.
7
1
Chance1216
Posts
8975
Joined
4/1/2018
Location
Carson, CA, USA
11/19/2020 8:27am
Tbteam wrote:
Something that others see as motivational and inspiring really pisses me off. I'm talking about how every so often I stumble across an article about someone...
Something that others see as motivational and inspiring really pisses me off.

I'm talking about how every so often I stumble across an article about someone who had a critical spine injury and "due to the fact that they refused to give up" they can now walk and carry on like they "beat" the injury through perseverance.

Don't misunderstand me. The fact that ANYONE can make it through that dark tunnel and be able to function with any semblance of normalcy is absolutely "inspiring" and "motivational". I truly feel for those that have gone through this.

But let's leave the bullshit out, shall we? Nobody uses willpower and determination to walk again after a SCI. Some recover more than others because they work harder, and they put out so much effort that they regain some mobility that others simply didn't work hard enough to achieve. Most importantly, their body allows them to recover.

As far as the idea that someone can simply say "I knew I could beat it and I did", well, fuck you. Your injury allowed you to recover. You weren't injured enough to be permanently in a chair. Period.

Do you think Magoo wouldn't have worked hard enough to recover? How about Ernie? David? Pit? Tony D? how about the many other lesser known victims of a SCI. Did they not want to work?

Every time I read an article about someone "not allowing themselves to be permanently in a chair" or some version of this, I'm really happy for that person, and at the same time, fuck off.

OK, rant over. This has bothered me for a long long time. I'm overjoyed for anyone that has been able to recover, but making claims about working through it is demeaning to those who live in a chair.
Motoxdoc wrote:
What's the point you're trying to make?....That a person can't improve the condition of their SCI through willpower, determination, perseverance and refusing to give up?...or you...
What's the point you're trying to make?....That a person can't improve the condition of their SCI through willpower, determination, perseverance and refusing to give up?...or you just don't like hearing about it? Are you telling people who overcame a SCI through hard work to "fuck off"? Huh

I understand that there are some SCI's that can NOT be helped with willpower and determination. I also know that there are many SCI's that CAN be helped with these attributes. Just because a SCI "allows then to recover"...that does NOT necessarily mean that they will spontaneously recover without serious hard work and a positive attitude.

Obviously I'm in the minority here but....It seems ironic to me that you wrote these two sentences back to back.

"Nobody uses willpower and determination to walk again after a SCI. Some recover more than others because they work harder, and they put out so much effort that they regain some mobility that others simply didn't work hard enough to achieve."

Also, the following sentence is another contradiction at best...on the other hand, some might call slightly cruel.

"Every time I read an article about someone "not allowing themselves to be permanently in a chair" or some version of this, I'm really happy for that person, and at the same time, fuck off.".

I wish I could say I'm shocked that you actually wrote this sentence out and clicked "submit", but this is vital so I'm not. Heck, at this point 32 other members read your rant and thought, yup, I can get on board with this guy, fuck people who share their stories about overcoming a SCI through hard work.


tobz wrote:
getting angry about something that literally isn’t being said is the thing to do these days I guess. To the OP, and the 39 other circle...
getting angry about something that literally isn’t being said is the thing to do these days I guess.

To the OP, and the 39 other circle jerking gentlemen’s club members. by definition you couldn’t offer praise to anyone about achieving anything, given the chance that there’s another person in the world who failed at the same objective.
Gentlemen’s circle jerk club?
Sounds like you are wanting to play monkey in the middle and do a little downhill skiing but, showed up to the wrong party.
Praising someone for accomplishments and hard work is in my nature. Your negating the entire point of the thread making blanket statements and assumptions.
4
APLMAN99
Posts
12910
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Tualatin, OR, USA
Fantasy
11/19/2020 8:40am
I "get" the basic gist of Tbteam's post and I have felt the same way many, many times. I probably didn't even think much about it until after a very good friend in his athletic prime suffered an SCI nearly 30 years ago, though. He's one of the hardest working individuals I have ever known, and if hard work alone were enough to be able to regain the ability to use all of his limbs like he did before, he'd have accomplished that a long time ago.

Rationally we know that pretty much everyone who has any recovery from an SCI had to put in a lot of work to do it. Emotionally it's a different story sometimes, especially when we see good friends or loved ones putting out effort that we don't know if we could do ourselves and not making that same sort of progress. It's hard sometimes not to take the accompanying praise of one person's efforts as an insult to someone else who hasn't had the same results because the injury is just too different. And less than 1mm of difference can make the injuries completely different in the potential for recovery, so there really aren't too many that are "exactly the same".

3
FreshTopEnd
Posts
13358
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Sacramento, CA, USA
11/19/2020 9:31am
Fair points.

As much, it bothers me is that often the sport discards guys who undergo this, who often already are without a lot of resources financially, mentally, spiritually, whatever to deal with rehab. Just finding quality people. Or even thick friends. But too often that can be thin.

Post a reply to: A very "real" thread.

The Latest