05 YZ 125 Modest build (finished)

JLM#144
Edited Date/Time 7/15/2022 11:01am
Picked up a project bike. Its an 05, looks to be in good shape other than needing to be put back together. All the parts it came with seem original and low hour.

Ive never built a bike a bike %100 through, so It will be a learning experience to tackle the suspension and putting the bottom end together. Looking forward to it though!
|
JLM#144
7/9/2021 9:43pm
Trying to keep the build cheap. We'll see how far that goes. Some hand-me-down parts from my 250 should help the process

Some before photos:

Plenty of grease on the stem bearings, a good sign. Swingarm pivot bolt wasnt stuck either. Looks like a lot of this stuff might've been sitting outside in the elements for a while.

JLM#144
7/10/2021 7:24am
Engine came with the cases already split. All transmission components are accounted for. Gotta take all this out and clean really good.

Was able to get most of the rusty studs out with the double nut method. This last one was stuck pretty good so it ended up stripping the threads off. Welded a nut to it and finally go it out.

Was told that the demise of the bike was the piston catching the power valve. The valves themselves dont look like they hit anything, and there was no piston with the parts given.

Cylinder is gonna need repair though. So I sent the cylinder, head, piston, and crank out to Millennium.
JLM#144
7/10/2021 11:07am
Little down time waiting on parts. Threw on a still pretty-new seat cover off my 16 yz250.

The Shop

JLM#144
7/10/2021 3:48pm
Rickyisms wrote:
Nothing better than the old tailgate work bench
Yep gotta love it. Thinking about installing a vise and a bench grinder right on there 😆.
JLM#144
7/13/2021 7:13pm
So the big drawback about the bike was it didnt come with a set of wheels. Not a big issue for this build as most yz's use the same hub. Plenty of options out there, I just wanted to get the best bang for the buck.

Browsed ebay, and decided to get the cheapest possible and build them how I wanted

The front is off a 05 125 (in decent shape) and the rear off a 250f. The rear hub had seen better days.

In hind sight I should have just got some of the new take offs I saw for a around 300 each and be done. I had it in mind that I would send just these hubs to faster usa and get them coated and laced with new hoops, but with new spokes and all, that would do a number on the bank account.
wydopen
7/16/2021 1:24pm
JLM#144 wrote:
So the big drawback about the bike was it didnt come with a set of wheels. Not a big issue for this build as most yz's...
So the big drawback about the bike was it didnt come with a set of wheels. Not a big issue for this build as most yz's use the same hub. Plenty of options out there, I just wanted to get the best bang for the buck.

Browsed ebay, and decided to get the cheapest possible and build them how I wanted

The front is off a 05 125 (in decent shape) and the rear off a 250f. The rear hub had seen better days.

In hind sight I should have just got some of the new take offs I saw for a around 300 each and be done. I had it in mind that I would send just these hubs to faster usa and get them coated and laced with new hoops, but with new spokes and all, that would do a number on the bank account.
soda blaster from harbor freight will clean the hubs up nicely
JLM#144
7/16/2021 1:59pm
wydopen wrote:
soda blaster from harbor freight will clean the hubs up nicely
I was actually just thinking about picking one up this weekend. Got some stuff to do cerakote, so im gonna give that a shot.
Joe512
7/18/2021 3:38am Edited Date/Time 7/18/2021 3:40am
Not sure where your budget number is but a Dubya edge set of wheels with the pulp mx code should put you right around $540. Im probably picking up a set this winter, the previous owner of my 19 used some crazy cleaner that made the stock blue wheels all different shades of blue.
jbonemalone
7/18/2021 7:07am
For the money, doing your wheels is always a financially sound investment.
A good soda blaster and some time and your set.
Cerakote those hubs and you’ll be amazed how well the mud comes off.
As for the rims themselves use what you have or just get a nice set of rims. And use your hubs.
That’s how I’d go about it because you can get much better quality rims than stock but the hubs aren’t bad.
Take your time on the engine and use quality components and be amazed at the fun.
I love buying roaches out bikes and doing frame up restos. I flip them even if I don’t make money I just enjoy bringing back a dinosaur of a two smoke back to life.
Those little Yamahas are my favorite bike to do!
JLM#144
7/18/2021 1:05pm
Joe512 wrote:
Not sure where your budget number is but a Dubya edge set of wheels with the pulp mx code should put you right around $540. Im...
Not sure where your budget number is but a Dubya edge set of wheels with the pulp mx code should put you right around $540. Im probably picking up a set this winter, the previous owner of my 19 used some crazy cleaner that made the stock blue wheels all different shades of blue.
Dang! I had no idea they had wheels under $1000. Those would be nice. I'll have to keep that in mind for my next bike.
JLM#144
7/18/2021 1:17pm Edited Date/Time 7/18/2021 1:18pm
For the money, doing your wheels is always a financially sound investment. A good soda blaster and some time and your set. Cerakote those hubs and...
For the money, doing your wheels is always a financially sound investment.
A good soda blaster and some time and your set.
Cerakote those hubs and you’ll be amazed how well the mud comes off.
As for the rims themselves use what you have or just get a nice set of rims. And use your hubs.
That’s how I’d go about it because you can get much better quality rims than stock but the hubs aren’t bad.
Take your time on the engine and use quality components and be amazed at the fun.
I love buying roaches out bikes and doing frame up restos. I flip them even if I don’t make money I just enjoy bringing back a dinosaur of a two smoke back to life.
Those little Yamahas are my favorite bike to do!
I ended up getting a pro-wheel kit off motosport for around $500. Hopefully the quality of these is at least as good as the tusk wheels.

All oem bearings and seals going in the engine. Got an email yesterday from Millennium, all the stuff should be back next week.
Joe512
7/18/2021 6:47pm
Joe512 wrote:
Not sure where your budget number is but a Dubya edge set of wheels with the pulp mx code should put you right around $540. Im...
JLM#144 wrote:
Dang! I had no idea they had wheels under $1000. Those would be nice. I'll have to keep that in mind for my next bike.
Yeah I had tossed around the idea of OEM blue rims ($400ish) and getting my stock hubs cerakoted ($200) but then id have $600+ and my labor in 1 set of wheels vs $540 and have my stockers as a backup set incase I got a flat or something.
JLM#144
7/22/2021 2:22pm
Forks seals and bushings replaced with oem. Easy enough.

Then dismantled the shock. Had a hell of a time doing this without a vise. Getting the retainer clips out was a chore. Cleaned up the clevis and sanded the casting marks while i was at it.

JLM#144
7/22/2021 2:29pm Edited Date/Time 7/22/2021 2:30pm
I wanted to take this bottom adjuster off and clean/grease it. Cant seem to find any info on how it comes out, or how to take the clevis off sine it seems like you would have to do that to get to it.

Another thing, when i took off the comp adjuster it seems that I only removed the outer part, and the other remains in the shock body. Tried grabbing it and wiggling a little with pliers, just not sure if this is normal. Anyone take one of these apart before?

adam8781
7/29/2021 10:06pm
JLM#144 wrote:
I wanted to take this bottom adjuster off and clean/grease it. Cant seem to find any info on how it comes out, or how to take...
I wanted to take this bottom adjuster off and clean/grease it. Cant seem to find any info on how it comes out, or how to take the clevis off sine it seems like you would have to do that to get to it.

Another thing, when i took off the comp adjuster it seems that I only removed the outer part, and the other remains in the shock body. Tried grabbing it and wiggling a little with pliers, just not sure if this is normal. Anyone take one of these apart before?

grab and pull harder its just an oring fit holding it in now.
7/30/2021 7:19am
The adjuster will come out if you pull a little harder. For the bottom clevis you need to loosen the nut away from the clevis and then you can loosen the clevis off the rod counter clockwise. If you heat it with a torch it will come loose easier.

If you have a tool to clamp the rod in it will be a lot easier. I bought mine from technical touch.
JLM#144
7/30/2021 5:43pm
Thanks for the info guys. I was able to get the comp adjuster out finally. I'll try to get that clevis on my next day off.

Small update, finally got engine parts back.

Installed the bearings installed the transmission and then noticed that my crank is way out of wack, about .012" of runout when turning it over in the case. I know its not accurate without measuring on v blocks but i can see movement in the flywheel shaft, so cant be good. Rather than send it back i was able to get in touch with someone who can true it locally.

In the mean time, finally got everything i needed to start cerakoting.

FWYT
7/30/2021 8:47pm
This is what I like to see! Doing almost all the work yourself instead of sending everything out. Nice!!!
JLM#144
9/19/2021 6:51pm
Apologies for the hiatus. I got a little burnt out, and waiting on parts anyways so I stepped away from the project for a while.

Took some time to go to Budds Creek and then do some riding.

JLM#144
9/19/2021 7:10pm
And now back to the build(s).

First, 250 needed a top end. Gave it a cerekote treatment while I had it apart.

And more cerekote..

Trying out this micro-slick on some of the pivot parts and power valve. I doubt it makes any noticable difference, and probably won't stay on there too long, but we'll see.

Got the crank back again, and it's done right this time. So I was finally able to glue the cases together.

Splurged on a few Ti pieces

wiedeman
Fantasy
3168th
9/19/2021 7:58pm
The cerakote looks sweet! I have a question about the cylinder head nuts, do you need the copper washers for those?
JLM#144
9/20/2021 7:10am
wiedeman wrote:
The cerakote looks sweet! I have a question about the cylinder head nuts, do you need the copper washers for those?
Thanks! The head nuts did not come with washers, but I believe they are still required.
FarleyMX25
9/20/2021 8:11am
Keep us updated on the micro slick. Interested in seeing if it holds up. Nice work!
JLM#144
9/21/2021 8:14am
FarleyMX25 wrote:
Keep us updated on the micro slick. Interested in seeing if it holds up. Nice work!
Thanks man! will do.
JLM#144
9/23/2021 11:53am Edited Date/Time 9/23/2021 11:54am
Forgot to post the cerekoted shock body and hubs on here. Came out pretty nice.

Hubs and shock built

9/28/2021 11:41am
she's looking clean bro! I wanna do some cerakoting as well. need to invest in a set up, which did you go with?

Post a reply to: 05 YZ 125 Modest build (finished)

The Latest