Hand fatigue. Any tips?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/27/2018 12:12 AM

Hi guys. I'm wanting to pick your brain about hand fatigue. I finally got my Husky dialled in suspension wise I'm laying down some decent laps. Problem I'm having is fatigue in my hands on rough tracks. I used to be crippled with arm pump but since hitting the gym I only get this after a very long day riding a rough track and I also use the pro green arm pump spray which I think works so with the arm pump virtually cured the problem seems to be with my hands. I've got 3 laps in me before I can't hold on. I have quite small hands and I've tried to get a grip to suit me.

To be fair I am not the fittest guy in the world, my fitness is improving though as I said I'm hitting the gym mainly on cardio as I already have muscle mass. I'm weighing in at 16. 5st too (230lb in American money) so I'm not a light rider. I could stand to lose another stone of fat which Im on my way to doing. I am having to pull off track not even tired fitness wise.
The day before riding I eat clean with no fizzy drinks or alcohol (I mostly eat clean as my cheat day is Sunday evening after riding). The morning of my riding I have oats for breakfast with a pint of water then I have a banana on the way to the track. My food at the track is a wholemeal wrap with avocado, spinach, black beans, meat and feta cheese. I also have a few bananas throughout the day and I drink a load of water.

My suspension has been set up professionally and my forks converted to spring for a more plush feel. I run Renthal full diamond soft grips for their thin feel on pro taper bars.

I dunno if I'm death gripping but I'm always conscious of how much I'm gripping and try to relax my hands on braking. My knees are bruised from gripping the bike but I do sometimes forget to control my breathing. I ride at least once a week which I understand isn't enough but with a full time job and home life that's as good as it gets.

I'm racing next season so I really need to get this sorted as I have the speed but not the hand fitness.

Any tricks or tips I'd love to try. Thanks guys

|

6/27/2018 3:21 AM

For me, i only get it if i ride at 100% of my ability. At that point i have to slow down and focus on deep breathing. That usually fixes it. Youre just holding on too tight & need to find a way to loosen up. Doing deadlifts will improve strength in your hands. Stronger hands last longer assuming youre not squeezing as tight as you can

|

6/27/2018 5:52 AM

Try this: Median Nerve Flossing Exercises - Great Results - Kinetic Health

|

6/27/2018 6:28 AM

I have the exact same problem with my KTM. If I'm riding hard i get 3-4 laps and my hands are getting pretty weak. If I back it down to 80% and let go of the bars on every jump to stretch my hands out and take a slow lap every 5-6 laps I can ride a 30 min moto. I've tried different bars, different suspension settings, and Neken air clamps and nothings worked from the mechanical side. At the gym I've done more cardio and the broom stick with a weight where you roll it up and down. I know its not arm pump as I've had that before and I do stretches before I ride now and eat better along with hydrate days before I ride and thats solved it.

|

2018 KTM 250sx
Instagram CamaroAJ

6/27/2018 6:45 AM

I have had this problem too. While riding Take your hand off the grip and shake it for 3-5 seconds. Improves blood flow and relaxes muscles.

|

6/27/2018 6:31 PM

Try thinner grips...

|

6/27/2018 8:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/27/2018 8:29 PM

|

6/27/2018 11:36 PM

My buddies hands go numb after a while. Recently switched to Flexx Bars and he'll bet his house on them being a game changer...

Diet generally doesn't start the day before...What you do on Monday will affect you Sunday.. Best bet is to really monitor your food intake and see what has a major effect. Caffeine can be a real killer...

Personally, I have to be careful how much bread I eat as it can really mess my digestive system up...

|

6/28/2018 12:25 AM

When you feel your hands let it be the reminder to squeeze harder with you're legs/knees.

|

6/29/2018 6:57 PM

My hands go numb too on 18 tc250. I’ve been looking at the Flexx bars. Lots of really happy people with them.

|