Factory Connection AER48 Spring Conversion

kwenske321
Edited Date/Time 10/28/2017 2:47pm
Looking for anyone's opinions or experiences with FC's AER spring conversion?? Considering that route.
|
mxb2
3/27/2017 4:16pm
kwenske321 wrote:
Looking for anyone's opinions or experiences with FC's AER spring conversion?? Considering that route.
Yes, do it . The air is really good though.
LumpDog841
3/27/2017 5:51pm
Kept my FC stuff air on my '17 250sx Should have a ride report after this Saturday.
kwenske321
3/27/2017 8:57pm
LumpDog841 wrote:
Kept my FC stuff air on my '17 250sx Should have a ride report after this Saturday.
Please let me know how it is. Looking to box my stuff up in the next week.
slipdog
3/28/2017 6:40am
LumpDog841 wrote:
kwenske321 wrote:
I'm putting a a conversion on my TC 250 right now. Been totally happy with the air performance and just wanted to test out the difference with a spring kit.

Using the K-Tech kit because it has an adjustable preload like the Showa SFF forks. I have used Race Tech conversions on TAC forks before, but they are not preload adjustable.

The Shop

Motofinne
3/28/2017 7:33am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2017 7:33am
I tried the K-Tech kit on my AER forks and it was horrible. I've written why i thought that many times in different threads.

I would stick with the stock air cartridge or go with Öhlins or WP CV forks.
LumpDog841
3/28/2017 7:57pm
LumpDog841 wrote:
kwenske321 wrote:
Will do, keep in mind I really like the stock air setup, which is why I kept them air. I was running 146 psi C: 23 out and R: 19 out.
Skerby
3/29/2017 12:05pm
Motofinne wrote:
I did find the thread, here are my thoughts about a single side spring conversion or fork. Not a fan at all, probably the worst set...
I did find the thread, here are my thoughts about a single side spring conversion or fork.

Not a fan at all, probably the worst set up that i have ever experienced.

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Tech-Help-Race-Shop,42/AER48-Spring-Conve…
What about the Showa SFF fork with its single sided spring, not to mention hundreds of mtb forks with the spring on one side. Hell, I bet if you weighed each leg of the stock AER you would find that they were not the same.

Idk man, I find it hard to believe that your negative experience was caused by a slight weight difference in fork leg weight; I mean, they are mounted like less than a foot from eachother.
Motofinne
3/30/2017 1:20am Edited Date/Time 3/30/2017 1:59am
Motofinne wrote:
I did find the thread, here are my thoughts about a single side spring conversion or fork. Not a fan at all, probably the worst set...
I did find the thread, here are my thoughts about a single side spring conversion or fork.

Not a fan at all, probably the worst set up that i have ever experienced.

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Tech-Help-Race-Shop,42/AER48-Spring-Conve…
Skerby wrote:
What about the Showa SFF fork with its single sided spring, not to mention hundreds of mtb forks with the spring on one side. Hell, I...
What about the Showa SFF fork with its single sided spring, not to mention hundreds of mtb forks with the spring on one side. Hell, I bet if you weighed each leg of the stock AER you would find that they were not the same.

Idk man, I find it hard to believe that your negative experience was caused by a slight weight difference in fork leg weight; I mean, they are mounted like less than a foot from eachother.
The weight difference wasn't slight it was very, very noticeable. You don't have to believe me and my experience.

I'm just reporting on my experience of a air to single sided spring conversion and it was one of the worst forks i have ever had. And i tried different springrates, clickers, everything. Now that is my opinion on it, i'm sure there are lots of people out there that like it.

The WP AER fork is a very good stock fork. The OP might love a single sided spring conversion, the only way to know that is to buy the 600 dollar kit and try it. But the "truth" that has been established from some of the high profile test riders in media that a spring fork conversion is a gift from God and it will fix everything is not the case for everyone.
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1959th
3/30/2017 8:24am
Just recently had two riders who never had an issue with air forks after multiple seasons of riding with them put in spring conversions in the last 6 weeks. Both pro level riders with experience with a lot of different suspension setups, and in both cases they were just wanting to try the spring again to see if there was something they were missing that would help them a bit.

In both cases, they were already valved with a setup they liked. Again, they didn't hate the airfork.

One was on a Showa TAC fork on a KX450F and one was currently on a WP AER fork on a KTM 450SX, but had previous experience with an airfork on the RMZ 450 that he didn't have an issue with.

In both cases, they are in love with the spring conversion because the consistency it provides and the increased feel over bumps and entering ruts.

I don't know much about the K Tech kit or their experience with moto. I understand you said you've tried different spring rates which was going to be my first concern.

I would love for you to grab a Spring Conversion from Race Tech with the VitalMX discount and leave your thoughts here. Just like everything we do, it's 100% guaranteed.
Motofinne
3/30/2017 9:33am
Yeah just like Chris says, a lot of people like the spring conversions. Maybe the K Tech kit is the worst one? I don't know, but i wasn't a fan. I might be one of few that feel more comfortable with the air fork?

captmoto
3/30/2017 11:31am
Motofinne wrote:
Yeah just like Chris says, a lot of people like the spring conversions. Maybe the K Tech kit is the worst one? I don't know, but...
Yeah just like Chris says, a lot of people like the spring conversions. Maybe the K Tech kit is the worst one? I don't know, but i wasn't a fan. I might be one of few that feel more comfortable with the air fork?

I had Race Tech do my air forks. As a XXXL rider, I always revalve to get the damping to match the heavy springs I need. I am not fast or anything but I can get around. I am real happy with their work and I have not touched the clickers yet. RT uses their gold valve and has a valve they replace on the air side that is supposed to increase reliability of the quad ring I think it is called. Before RT I had to run ton of air and the fork felt harsh. I am running the same air pressure but the fork has way better feel and suppleness.
kwenske321
3/30/2017 2:11pm
Good stuff! If anyone else has had their WP AER48 forks re-valved by Factory Connection please chime in.
MotoMatt_928
3/30/2017 2:19pm
I went from the stock 4CS on my 16 FC350, to a set of stock AER, and the difference was night and day. You can feel the ~4lb weight difference. I run 145psi, Compression 20 clicks out, and rebound 15 clicks out. Vet rider... I would recommend MX-Tech's A48R mod, which retains the air function, and keeps the weight down compared to the spring conversion.

http://mx-tech.com/a48-r-1/
kwenske321
3/30/2017 8:59pm
I went from the stock 4CS on my 16 FC350, to a set of stock AER, and the difference was night and day. You can feel...
I went from the stock 4CS on my 16 FC350, to a set of stock AER, and the difference was night and day. You can feel the ~4lb weight difference. I run 145psi, Compression 20 clicks out, and rebound 15 clicks out. Vet rider... I would recommend MX-Tech's A48R mod, which retains the air function, and keeps the weight down compared to the spring conversion.

Do you have personal experience with the mx tech a48-r kit?
MotoMatt_928
3/31/2017 2:13pm
I went from the stock 4CS on my 16 FC350, to a set of stock AER, and the difference was night and day. You can feel...

kwenske321 wrote:
Yes I do. MX-Tech is local to me, and my riding buddy has their A48-R kit. It was nice to compare my stock AER to his A48-R, and see if it is worth doing the upgrades. The things I liked the most about his versus mine, was the plush feeling in the beginning of the stroke, and not as stiff when bottomed out.
kwenske321
3/31/2017 8:39pm Edited Date/Time 3/31/2017 8:40pm

kwenske321 wrote:
Yes I do. MX-Tech is local to me, and my riding buddy has their A48-R kit. It was nice to compare my stock AER to his...
Yes I do. MX-Tech is local to me, and my riding buddy has their A48-R kit. It was nice to compare my stock AER to his A48-R, and see if it is worth doing the upgrades. The things I liked the most about his versus mine, was the plush feeling in the beginning of the stroke, and not as stiff when bottomed out.
Good to hear. I called MX-Texh today and unfortunately the guy who answered didn't really know too much about the kit itself and all the techs were busy. Left my name & number hoping for a call back but didn't get one. Maybe I'll try calling back next week.
MotoMatt_928
4/3/2017 11:07am
kwenske321 wrote:
Yes I do. MX-Tech is local to me, and my riding buddy has their A48-R kit. It was nice to compare my stock AER to his...
kwenske321 wrote:
Good to hear. I called MX-Texh today and unfortunately the guy who answered didn't really know too much about the kit itself and all the techs...
Good to hear. I called MX-Texh today and unfortunately the guy who answered didn't really know too much about the kit itself and all the techs were busy. Left my name & number hoping for a call back but didn't get one. Maybe I'll try calling back next week.
I know Jeremy was out of the country (Sweden), then was in Florida, but should be back in town now. If you do not hear back from him today or tomorrow, I would call again. This is their busy season as everyone is trying to get all of their components built/re-built for the new season.
bowser
4/3/2017 10:53pm
anyone selling their air cart who has done a spring conversion?
kwenske321
4/4/2017 12:19pm

kwenske321 wrote:
Would you say the A48-R kit is worth the money? Thanks for answering my questions, just trying to dot my i's and cross my t's before I send my stuff out here shortly to either Factory connection or MxTech.
MotoMatt_928
4/4/2017 2:47pm
kwenske321 wrote:
kwenske321 wrote:
Would you say the A48-R kit is worth the money? Thanks for answering my questions, just trying to dot my i's and cross my t's before...
Would you say the A48-R kit is worth the money? Thanks for answering my questions, just trying to dot my i's and cross my t's before I send my stuff out here shortly to either Factory connection or MxTech.
Yes, I definitely do. I will be doing the A48-R kit here shortly on my forks, just trying to time it right with my races so I don't have to miss any.

For what this kit does, and what the normal racer needs to be competitive, I think it is a cost effective win-win scenario. You get better forks across the full spectrum, retain the weight of the air fork, and at a fraction of the cost compared to a A-kit/cone valve setup.

When you talk to Jeremy at MX-Tech, tell him MotoMatt from Minooka referred you. He's an awesome dude and will take care of you.
LumpDog841
4/4/2017 5:18pm
LumpDog841 wrote:
kwenske321 wrote:
LumpDog841 wrote:
Will do, keep in mind I really like the stock air setup, which is why I kept them air. I was running 146 psi C: 23...
Will do, keep in mind I really like the stock air setup, which is why I kept them air. I was running 146 psi C: 23 out and R: 19 out.
I know I said I would give you an update, but unfortunately I've been sick for the past few days and haven't been able to ride. Will hopefully have an update after this Saturday.
kwenske321
4/10/2017 7:54pm
kwenske321 wrote:
LumpDog841 wrote:
Will do, keep in mind I really like the stock air setup, which is why I kept them air. I was running 146 psi C: 23...
LumpDog841 wrote:
I know I said I would give you an update, but unfortunately I've been sick for the past few days and haven't been able to ride...
I know I said I would give you an update, but unfortunately I've been sick for the past few days and haven't been able to ride. Will hopefully have an update after this Saturday.
Any ride report?
LumpDog841
4/10/2017 8:20pm
LumpDog841 wrote:
LumpDog841 wrote:
I know I said I would give you an update, but unfortunately I've been sick for the past few days and haven't been able to ride...
kwenske321 wrote:
Any ride report?
At the moment it's not looking too good for the forks. Keep in mind this is my first ride since Oct 31st of last year so I was trying to shake down a lot of different things on the bike and didn't make any clicker or psi changes, but at the moment I'm a little worried. My biggest issue I felt was the lack of front end feel, and as we sit now if I could go back in time I would have done the conversion. The weather is still being pretty crappy here but I think I should be able to spend Fri-Sun at the track trying to get the forks dialed in and will report back if I was able to make any improvements (I think I will). Here is what my current setup looks like.

samcampbell
4/10/2017 9:21pm
LumpDog841 wrote:
At the moment it's not looking too good for the forks. Keep in mind this is my first ride since Oct 31st of last year so...
At the moment it's not looking too good for the forks. Keep in mind this is my first ride since Oct 31st of last year so I was trying to shake down a lot of different things on the bike and didn't make any clicker or psi changes, but at the moment I'm a little worried. My biggest issue I felt was the lack of front end feel, and as we sit now if I could go back in time I would have done the conversion. The weather is still being pretty crappy here but I think I should be able to spend Fri-Sun at the track trying to get the forks dialed in and will report back if I was able to make any improvements (I think I will). Here is what my current setup looks like.

Not to get off topic, but how do you like the PC pipe and silencer?
LumpDog841
4/10/2017 9:29pm
Not to get off topic, but how do you like the PC pipe and silencer?
Love it, BUT!! I did a lot of engine mods at the same time so I was never able to test the pipe and silencer combo by itself. Besides the exhaust I had JBone MotorWorks do some cylinder porting and head mods, and got a VForce 4R reed valve setup. Also the carbon silencer is a work of art.

kwenske321
4/10/2017 9:53pm
LumpDog841 wrote:
kwenske321 wrote:
Any ride report?
LumpDog841 wrote:
At the moment it's not looking too good for the forks. Keep in mind this is my first ride since Oct 31st of last year so...

Thanks for update, bike looks good! Did you go for the bladder conversion also?
LumpDog841
4/11/2017 8:14am
kwenske321 wrote:
Any ride report?
LumpDog841 wrote:

kwenske321 wrote:
Yes, I did. I also put the Xtrig preload adjuster on. Shock feels pretty good at the moment.
kwenske321
4/11/2017 2:46pm
LumpDog841 wrote:

kwenske321 wrote:
LumpDog841 wrote:
Yes, I did. I also put the Xtrig preload adjuster on. Shock feels pretty good at the moment.
Any difference in using the stock clamps vs the ROCS clamps?
LumpDog841
4/11/2017 5:18pm
kwenske321 wrote:
Any difference in using the stock clamps vs the ROCS clamps?
I got them because I wanted to try the different offset which can be adjusted from 20(mm) or 22/stock(mm), and for the huge range of bar positions. Now with that being said the stock clamps are really good and if it wasn't for the nice bonus I got from work this year, I would have stayed with the stock ones. The stock ones work great and it's not like these ROCS are going to improve my lap times. The first mod I would recommend is the Guts seat, the stock one is pretty slippery.

Post a reply to: Factory Connection AER48 Spring Conversion

The Latest