AER48 Spring Conversion?

mike546
First off I'm a 56 year old vet MX rider. I have a 17 450SXF that I have only put about three hours on because of the upstate NY weather. I'm happy with the AER forks but always looking for the most comfort. Has anyone done either the Racetech or FC/WP spring conversion. I would also be interested in your thoughts on going with Cone Valve or Ohlins complete forks. I would say I'm a slower B rider on a good day and I'm looking for whatever will beat me up the least. Coming off of a 15 with the 4CS the ARE are a major improvement. I did a search but only found a few threads.
Thanks
Mike
|
mxb2
2/11/2017 10:20am
mike546 wrote:
First off I'm a 56 year old vet MX rider. I have a 17 450SXF that I have only put about three hours on because of...
First off I'm a 56 year old vet MX rider. I have a 17 450SXF that I have only put about three hours on because of the upstate NY weather. I'm happy with the AER forks but always looking for the most comfort. Has anyone done either the Racetech or FC/WP spring conversion. I would also be interested in your thoughts on going with Cone Valve or Ohlins complete forks. I would say I'm a slower B rider on a good day and I'm looking for whatever will beat me up the least. Coming off of a 15 with the 4CS the ARE are a major improvement. I did a search but only found a few threads.
Thanks
Mike
Factory connection has some good settings with the conversion kit. Call Rich at fc, new Hampshire store. Good dude ,great service . Tell him Billy sent you. Let us know what you decide.
ricko
2/11/2017 10:34am
Check out PR2 spring/air kit.
JWACK
2/11/2017 11:17am
I had a full set of ohlins on my 16 350sxf. They were good but not as good as Showa kit stuff. The Showa stuff has much better bottoming feel to me anyways. I will say the ohlins forks were very plush and progressive. I have not ridden aer forks to compair the two.
mike546
2/11/2017 2:20pm
I was hoping there would be a test in one of the magazines or online somewhere.

The Shop

Motofinne
2/12/2017 3:04am Edited Date/Time 2/12/2017 3:33am
I did the K-tech spring conversion and it was horrible. The balance of the front end was horrible because of the weight on the left fork. You could actually feel that the bike turned way different to the left compared to the right. I think it was the worst fork set up i have ever had so i removed it after a few hours of testing and went back to the stock air cartridge.

If you really want a spring fork on the bike you should go with the Öhlins cartridge or the WP CV cartridge. Or the full forks but that is of course more expensive.
mike546
2/12/2017 6:34am
Thanks, I'm almost sold on the complete forks.
BobPA
2/12/2017 7:30am
Motofinne wrote:
I did the K-tech spring conversion and it was horrible. The balance of the front end was horrible because of the weight on the left fork...
I did the K-tech spring conversion and it was horrible. The balance of the front end was horrible because of the weight on the left fork. You could actually feel that the bike turned way different to the left compared to the right. I think it was the worst fork set up i have ever had so i removed it after a few hours of testing and went back to the stock air cartridge.

If you really want a spring fork on the bike you should go with the Öhlins cartridge or the WP CV cartridge. Or the full forks but that is of course more expensive.
That sounds like it might be in your head. Shouldn't the giant exhaust system on the right have balanced everything out?
Motofinne
2/12/2017 7:42am Edited Date/Time 2/12/2017 9:13am
Motofinne wrote:
I did the K-tech spring conversion and it was horrible. The balance of the front end was horrible because of the weight on the left fork...

BobPA wrote:
That sounds like it might be in your head. Shouldn't the giant exhaust system on the right have balanced everything out?
Nope. The front end slowly turned to the left when i had the bike on a stand and the front wheel in the air. It really was noticeable.

So i would not do a single side spring conversion for the AER fork. I would go with the Öhlins cartridge/complete fork or the WP CV cartridge/complete fork.
BobPA
2/12/2017 8:38am
Motofinne wrote:

BobPA wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
Nope. The front end slowly turned to the left when i had the bike on a stand and the front wheel in the air. It really...
Nope. The front end slowly turned to the left when i had the bike on a stand and the front wheel in the air. It really was noticeable.

So i would not do a single side spring conversion for the AER fork. I would go with the Öhlins cartridge/complete fork or the WP CV cartridge/complete fork.
Ohh I did not realize it was a single spring conversion. My bad
mike546
2/16/2017 3:09pm
I ordered a new set of Ohlins RFX Forks today. I should have them in ten days but won't be able to try then for another month or two. I'll post up what I think when I ride with them.

Post a reply to: AER48 Spring Conversion?

The Latest