WANTED: MINT OR RESTORED BIKE

flinthills
Edited Date/Time 2/10/2012 5:11pm
I am looking for an absolute mint or restored 85'-89', CR,KX,RM,YZ, 125-500. If you have one, please let me know, I am a serious cash buyer. Also looking for someone that does restore these bikes if I cannot find one that meets the mint or already restored criteria.
|
motogrady
1/20/2012 4:51am
flinthills wrote:
I am looking for an absolute mint or restored 85'-89', CR,KX,RM,YZ, 125-500. If you have one, please let me know, I am a serious cash buyer...
I am looking for an absolute mint or restored 85'-89', CR,KX,RM,YZ, 125-500. If you have one, please let me know, I am a serious cash buyer. Also looking for someone that does restore these bikes if I cannot find one that meets the mint or already restored criteria.
You want to talk to Neuman.
He'll prob drop in, if not, find a post by him here on the board and shoot him a pm.
flinthills
1/20/2012 8:16am
Thanks guys! I have sent emails to each Rick, unless they are the same guys running each site? Hopefully it will work out, and I will end up with a bike! I just wish that I never sold the ones I bought new back then! I did just purchase a 2012 KTM 250sx the other day, and that is keeping my two stroke bug alive for now.
pete24
1/23/2012 8:12am
[/im

when i got it

[/img]

when it was done took about six months and lots of money i will do one for you, pm me

The Shop

newmann
1/23/2012 8:39am
flinthills wrote:
I am looking for an absolute mint or restored 85'-89', CR,KX,RM,YZ, 125-500. If you have one, please let me know, I am a serious cash buyer...
motogrady wrote:
He'll prob drop in, if not, find a post by him here on the board and shoot him a pm.
I don't have enough time to restore my own bikes, let alone someone elses.Blush

I am doing some racer/restos currently so we can get some bikes on the track again this year for some vintage/evo racing. Hanger queen restos cost crazy money sourcing all correct OEM parts and hardware. The 85-89 bikes typically will not sell for anywhere near the money it would take to restore them.
pete24
1/23/2012 9:17am
flinthills wrote:
motogrady wrote:
newmann wrote:
I don't have enough time to restore my own bikes, let alone someone elses.:blush: I am doing some racer/restos currently so we can get some bikes...
I don't have enough time to restore my own bikes, let alone someone elses.Blush

I am doing some racer/restos currently so we can get some bikes on the track again this year for some vintage/evo racing. Hanger queen restos cost crazy money sourcing all correct OEM parts and hardware. The 85-89 bikes typically will not sell for anywhere near the money it would take to restore them.
your absolutly right newmann, a guy offered me 8500 for the 490 and i cant sell it for that, its STUPID money to restore one to perfect and mine aint perfect, close but , i did it for "the eyes" my eyes.
But people have me do them and they love them when they are done, we get the how much money question rite out of the way before i start,
flinthills
1/23/2012 9:21am
I have been talking with Rick at Vintage Iron, and are working on a deal for possibly two bikes. From the photos he sent to me, it looks like they do great work? Pete24, great job on the 490! Would you find the best donor bike, and start from there? How long? Labor rate?
pete24
1/23/2012 9:35am
flinthills wrote:
I have been talking with Rick at Vintage Iron, and are working on a deal for possibly two bikes. From the photos he sent to me...
I have been talking with Rick at Vintage Iron, and are working on a deal for possibly two bikes. From the photos he sent to me, it looks like they do great work? Pete24, great job on the 490! Would you find the best donor bike, and start from there? How long? Labor rate?
i go with the cheapest donor, because your taking everything apart, EVERYTHING, a frame thats not smashed in on the bottom hubs that arent broken,no broken fins if its air cooled, but dont spend a lot on the carcass, and if you dont have a specific model in mind check out whats available for your preffed bikes some models are hard to get stuff for, the 490 was not to bad as they made it pretty much the same for a number of years, but i still bought cases, a frame,from ebay, and i was told thats the last new gas tank avaiable
i have a 87yz 250 that meant some thing to me (i made NESC expert on one) so i did that but that was only a two year, like, model, so no gas tank, and its not a stocker like the 490 its something like the way i raced it

labor rate is 70/per hr[/img][/img]

time depends on how long it takes to get parts but this is my full time job if you had plenty of money and parts, wicked fast would bve two months that may be puching it but i would try
newmann
1/23/2012 3:09pm
flinthills wrote:
I have been talking with Rick at Vintage Iron, and are working on a deal for possibly two bikes. From the photos he sent to me...
Some of those bikes you were directed to were part of the Primm Collection. Some were cosmetic restorations only and the mechanicals may or may not have been restored/refurbished. Just be sure you understand what you are getting. If you are interested in a low hour unrestored 81 YZ465 however.....I can help.

pete24
1/23/2012 3:34pm
i love that 465 those were the coolest looking yamies IMO maybe because that was before i started racing and the kid up the street had one, and that thing looks real clean,
If someone is looking for a rider then super clean used bikes like this are a much better investment than trying to do a clapper over

Newmann, i declare her Race Ready!
motogrady
1/23/2012 5:13pm
flinthills wrote:
newmann wrote:
Some of those bikes you were directed to were part of the Primm Collection. Some were cosmetic restorations only and the mechanicals may or may not...
Some of those bikes you were directed to were part of the Primm Collection. Some were cosmetic restorations only and the mechanicals may or may not have been restored/refurbished. Just be sure you understand what you are getting. If you are interested in a low hour unrestored 81 YZ465 however.....I can help.

That bike right there is the shit.
Drum brakes. Air cooled. Don't know what they'd say about the long travel and monoshock.

Ride all year and maybe put a set of rings in it.
newmann
1/23/2012 6:42pm
The 465 came from the estate of the original owner. His grandson got it and traded it for a newer bike. Somewhere in there I "rescued" it before it found the wrong owner. Looks like it may have had five hours on it. Fok boots were dry rotted, tires hard, chain rusty, handlebars bent and rear fender stitched back together where it had been looped out. I went over it and freshened everything up so it is race ready. I would put aftermarket plastics on it if it were headed to the track. The side panels are worth a mint.

My 81 YZ250 was a beat pos. Frame , hubs and engine were about all I kept after tearing it apart. I even went to the point of having all the hardware re zincd. Loads of aftermarket goodies, new everything and lots of upgrades. Engine is stock.....and slow. Gotta work on that. Pretty though!

flinthills
1/24/2012 11:52am
Both are great looking bikes! The YZ465 is a little too old for what I am looking for right now, and the CR is really nice, but I am in the middle of negotiating with Rick on a couple bikes. We will see. Rick told me he does mechanical restorations, besides cosmetics, so the bikes are basically race ready. I am new to this collector scene, so I am putting my trust in whoever I talk to.
motogrady
1/24/2012 3:51pm Edited Date/Time 1/24/2012 3:54pm
flinthills wrote:
Both are great looking bikes! The YZ465 is a little too old for what I am looking for right now, and the CR is really nice...
Both are great looking bikes! The YZ465 is a little too old for what I am looking for right now, and the CR is really nice, but I am in the middle of negotiating with Rick on a couple bikes. We will see. Rick told me he does mechanical restorations, besides cosmetics, so the bikes are basically race ready. I am new to this collector scene, so I am putting my trust in whoever I talk to.
Some guys like the real old stuff, the BSA's, the Triumphs, that ruled before the 2 strokes.
Some guys like the Spanish stuff from the 70's.
Some guys like the 80's and 90's, when the 2s ruled.
Some guys are even buying the first 4 strokes on the cheap, blown up or not, and stashing them away.

May I ask, is this a collection purely for ROI or some thing you rode?
1/24/2012 8:11pm
flinthills wrote:
Both are great looking bikes! The YZ465 is a little too old for what I am looking for right now, and the CR is really nice...
Zeke27G
1/25/2012 12:37am Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 12:37am
Joe Abbate seems to have a decent reputation, prices are premium, but so are Vintage Iron's. I'd defer to anyone who has direct experience with any...
Joe Abbate seems to have a decent reputation, prices are premium, but so are Vintage Iron's. I'd defer to anyone who has direct experience with any of these gentlemen.

http://www.joeabbatescycletherapy.com/main.htm
I saw this style numbers on Joe's site and I've seen them somewhere else before...does anyone know where to find them?

Thanks guys!!
flinthills
1/25/2012 6:33am
Thanks for the information guys(projectracer), I think I will slow the process down a bit, and research some of the other options given. Rick has connections to some of the bikes from the Primm collection that I am interested in, however the price given seemed high? Jeff Ward works bikes, and Supercross bikes $$??? What are they worth?
leeroy
1/25/2012 2:45pm
i have the bikes you are looking for !
flinthills
1/25/2012 5:03pm
Send me some information on what you have, and maybe photos so I can get an idea of the condition.
pete24
1/25/2012 6:46pm
leeroy wrote:
i have the bikes you are looking for !
love the ZB
leeroy
1/25/2012 9:50pm
yeah, the zb is way cool !!!!!
flinthills
1/26/2012 6:42am
Leeroy, I registered on your site, and have looked at the photos. What do you have for sale? You can email me pictures and details if you like.

Thanks!
mxnick
1/26/2012 9:02am
flinthills, let me know your email. I have several mint early 1990's bikes bikes I would like to move out.
braaap
Fantasy
2193rd
1/30/2012 8:05pm
Joe Abbate seems to have a decent reputation, prices are premium, but so are Vintage Iron's. I'd defer to anyone who has direct experience with any...
Joe Abbate seems to have a decent reputation, prices are premium, but so are Vintage Iron's. I'd defer to anyone who has direct experience with any of these gentlemen.

http://www.joeabbatescycletherapy.com/main.htm
Zeke27G wrote:
I saw this style numbers on Joe's site and I've seen them somewhere else before...does anyone know where to find them? [IMG]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f150/mellowinyellow63/VMXs.jpg[/IMG] Thanks guys!!
I saw this style numbers on Joe's site and I've seen them somewhere else before...does anyone know where to find them?

Thanks guys!!
Throttle Jockey does them.

Vintage Ovals
flinthills
2/10/2012 3:58pm
I bought a restored 89' KX250, so off to a good start. Does anyone have any comments on the 84' RM500 on ebay again? Other than the price, what has kept someone from buying it? I am interested in it, but this is the third time it has been relisted, so I was wondering if someone that is more familiar with an 84' RM500 could chime in?

Post a reply to: WANTED: MINT OR RESTORED BIKE

The Latest