shoulder dislocations...

mxwife
Posts
159
Joined
8/25/2006
Location
USA
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 2:47pm
If you have had one, tell me about your recovery. I did mine this past sunday. It was atleast 5 inches down but it went back in at the hospital first try. Saw my ortho today so i could get an mri done soon...they told me to wait 3 weeks first. Is this normal? It sucks not knowing if surgery is needed or not and seems like the ones that i have heard about had stuff done in the first week. talk to me guys (or gals)...
|
kw859
Posts
193
Joined
10/3/2006
Location
Backwoods, TN, USA
4/1/2008 12:44pm Edited Date/Time 4/1/2008 12:45pm
Didn't know my wife was logged in...it wasn't hers, it was mine.
kw859
Posts
193
Joined
10/3/2006
Location
Backwoods, TN, USA
4/1/2008 12:45pm
Moto East Mag
Posts
3462
Joined
9/4/2006
Location
Arlington, VA, USA
4/1/2008 12:54pm
Chad Reed rode moto two at Southwick a couple years back after dislocating his shoulder in the first moto.
Why can't you be more like Chad?
mxrose3
Posts
2379
Joined
8/17/2006
Location
Delmar, DE, USA
4/1/2008 12:55pm
Kevin, sorry to hear you dislocated your shoulder.
A freind of mine had that happen and he never went back to the doctor after they reset it.
I'm no doctor, but I would think that your level of pain and range of motion after a few days after resetting it would be a sign of whether you needed surgury or not. If you decide to ride with it like that, I would definitely get one of those shoulder straps to keep it in place for a while.

The Shop

4/1/2008 12:57pm
I dont know if it's normal or not. My dad popped mine back in. Hurt like hell for few weeks.

What really sucks are torn rotator cuffs. Those take a lot longer. Mine still pops 15 years later.
kw859
Posts
193
Joined
10/3/2006
Location
Backwoods, TN, USA
4/1/2008 12:58pm Edited Date/Time 4/1/2008 1:00pm
MOTO EAST,probably because I can't seem to move mine and my fingers don't work properly at the moment...and the asterisk mobile medic unit wasn't at the track i was at to evaluate the situation. No riding till i know it is ready anyway.
mt798
Posts
1315
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Fort Worth, TX, USA
4/1/2008 1:12pm
I did mine 2 weeks before LL's in 2002. It hurt for a while but I also dislocated my hip at the same time so that was kind of worse. I didn't have surgery and was riding again in about 8 weeks mainly due to the hip. When I did start riding again the only time my shoulder hurt was when I was leaning into the bars when hitting stuff, or if I was thrown forward and had to push back. No push-ups for a long time but it all came back. Now I have this huge knot that kind of floats around on my shoulder. I think it's my clavicle that's not attached anymore but it doesn't hurt so no worries!
txmxer
Posts
9770
Joined
8/21/2006
Location
Weatherford, TX, USA
4/1/2008 1:22pm
sorry to hear it. No telling what your situation will be really.

I dislocated mine on multiple occasions. Until the last big hit, I fell hard on it. Thought it would heal up...always did. But, it kept slipping out of joint...partial sublexation I believe they call it. It was tight enough that it hurt like hell when out of joint and was kind of hard to reset. Anyway, it would pop out doing almost anything.

I finally went to the doctor and I had ripped the ligament from the bone, so, they had to go in and re-attach it. So far, no problems (but no hard falls, knock on wood). Been about 4 years now.

Like I said, I experienced several minor dislocations that were popped back into place and no problem after a few days or week or two. But, yours sounds pretty serious. You'll want to get the results from the doctor IMO.

If you do get surgery, stick with the PT and get it healthy.
Digger437
Posts
1394
Joined
9/4/2006
Location
Wisconsin Rapids, WI, USA
4/1/2008 2:40pm
kw859, There shouldn't be any reason other than initial swelling for you not to get an mri. I would go get a second opinion.
kw859
Posts
193
Joined
10/3/2006
Location
Backwoods, TN, USA
4/1/2008 2:43pm
Digger437 wrote:
kw859, There shouldn't be any reason other than initial swelling for you not to get an mri. I would go get a second opinion.
no swelling or bruising...i think he wants everything that was stretched to go back to normal to get a true reading on the mri...jmo
Moto East Mag
Posts
3462
Joined
9/4/2006
Location
Arlington, VA, USA
4/1/2008 2:43pm
kw859 wrote:
MOTO EAST,probably because I can't seem to move mine and my fingers don't work properly at the moment...and the asterisk mobile medic unit wasn't at the...
MOTO EAST,probably because I can't seem to move mine and my fingers don't work properly at the moment...and the asterisk mobile medic unit wasn't at the track i was at to evaluate the situation. No riding till i know it is ready anyway.
Oh man, didn't realize I was poking fun at Kevin Walker.
I'm not worthy.
I ban myself for one hour.
dl117
Posts
1547
Joined
2/8/2007
Location
Cambridge, MN, USA
4/1/2008 3:30pm
I have dislocated mine many times, 3 years ago I did both at the same time, my left shoulder was 5-6 inches out and the right was only 2-3 out. I was evaluated at the Mayo clinic in Roch Mn, and they set the shoulders...it was painfull. Then when I got home I went to my own ortho dr and they gave me an MRI on Wed. (original injury on Sun). They told me I did not have to wait, and they actually prefered to do it soon than later incase there is a tear, I think the fear is if you wait to long it will start to heal wrong if it is bad enough to need surgury. Mine was just VERY streched out and need just down time (it ended up being 10 weeks because I found out later the Humerous was cracked also.

But one thing I can tell you is it heals well if you do everything they tell you to do, mine still slips out once in a while because of not listening to them.
Good luck with it Kevin
Lightning78
Posts
6353
Joined
12/12/2007
Location
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
4/1/2008 3:48pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:56pm
Did mine 10 yrs ago and it was at least 3 inches into my armpit and was out for at least 4 hrs before they put it back in. They told me I would have an 85% chence of recurrance ....... to this day its never happened. Intense pain!

Most important thing is to WAIT IT OUT no one can really say if that is the answer but it worked for me. The ligaments that stretch take a long time to get back to normal. I would listen to what the DR says and not rush getting back on the bike till its 100%.
4/1/2008 3:58pm
That's definately good advise to let it re-hab completely. My first injury, I just got back on the bike once it felt OK. Now I pay the price for it. If they tell you to back off for x amount of weeks, do it. We didn't know that much about it back then and just figured it was good to go.
4/1/2008 4:28pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:56pm
Not sure if you're a member there or not, but at TT (yes, I know, one of those other forums) in the Health & Fitness section, an ortho doc/surgeon responds to posts there. I would maybe try to contact him--he seems to know what he's talking about and also rides moto and has a good reputation over there.

Do you have any numbness or tingling in that arm?

Good luck with your recovery.
Ivan
Posts
792
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Long Beach, CA, USA
4/1/2008 4:40pm
Did mine a couple of months ago. It was a separation though. Not a dislocation. Talk about pain. Nothing they can do for it. The clavicle broke away from the shoulder leaving a 1/2" gap. It stopped moving around so I guess it's re fusing, but in the wrong place. No pain now though,
BDOG
Posts
1327
Joined
1/10/2008
Location
Danville, VA, USA
4/1/2008 6:37pm
mxmedic wrote:
Not sure if you're a member there or not, but at TT (yes, I know, one of those other forums) in the Health & Fitness section...
Not sure if you're a member there or not, but at TT (yes, I know, one of those other forums) in the Health & Fitness section, an ortho doc/surgeon responds to posts there. I would maybe try to contact him--he seems to know what he's talking about and also rides moto and has a good reputation over there.

Do you have any numbness or tingling in that arm?

Good luck with your recovery.
I would not trust that guy. He gave me some what turned out to be not so good advice last year when I was having some problems with my Femur. Maybe get some feedback.
Blake933
Posts
4
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
4/1/2008 8:50pm
I think a couple of you are talking about a separation. Anyways, I dislocated mine in September. It was about two months before I was able to ride again. Mine was pretty severe though, I believe. It took them quite a while to get it popped back in, and they eventually had to use anesthesia. So it all just depends.

Recovery also has a lot to do with age and fitness. Actually, from researching it a little while I was hurt, older people tend to have less repeat injuries. It has to do with the cartilage and ligaments being stiffer (I think). The likelihood of another dislocation is almost 90% for people under 20. I was put in a sling for two months, but I only felt I needed to use it for a couple of weeks so I quit. Then I went to therapy for about a month. I started riding during therapy. Hopefully some of this info is useful; my dr. was terrible so I'm still a little lost as to whether mine is fully healed.

One more thing, my shoulder did sublax one time during the first week while I was putting on a shirt. Other than that, it hasn't popped back out, but it does have an odd feeling to it after riding. It's sort of a loose feeling...hard to describe.
BobbyM
Posts
21435
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
USA
4/1/2008 8:58pm
if it isn't fixed and if it's jacked again befoe recovery/rehab/etc you will be fugged and you will be getting your "chronic" dislocation fixed in the future.

trust me....mine was poping out about 3 times a day and once or twice at night. no fun at all.
BobbyM
Posts
21435
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
USA
4/1/2008 8:59pm
I have dislocated mine many times, 3 years ago I did both at the same time, my left shoulder was 5-6 inches out and the right was only 2-3 out.


out is out...inches means shit
Blake933
Posts
4
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
4/1/2008 9:03pm
Now that I'm thinking about it, does anyone else have the loose feeling? Does it ever go away?
jmar
Posts
14154
Joined
2/11/2007
Location
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
4/1/2008 9:15pm

Three weeks is a little long for the MRI but they are wanting to swelling to go down first. How long was it out before they got it back into place? That plays a part in the recovery time if surgery is not an option. If you are going to continue to ride I would suggest that you get it surgically repaired, if not there is a good chance Subluxation (Instability) will occur and possibly more dislocations. For years my son avoided surgery by going the “therapy route” then had numinous arthroscopic procedures but ended up having both shoulders surgically repaired using the “Bankart Reconstruction” method. His left shoulder was done a second time due to an impact injury at the 02 Minneapolis Supercross. Click on the link below and you will see how low his left elbow is hanging down. The impact tore away the existing metal clips in his shoulder and lodged the top of the humerus into his rib cage. With all the existing mess in his shoulder it took a doctor, a radiologist and two helpers more than an hour to get the bone back into place.

Sorry to hear about you're shoulder problem.

http://www.vrmphotos.net/photos/2002/minneapolis_021602/jacobmartin1.jpg


CamP
Posts
6826
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Colleyville, TX, USA
4/1/2008 9:17pm
jmar wrote:
Three weeks is a little long for the MRI but they are wanting to swelling to go down first. How long was it out before they...

Three weeks is a little long for the MRI but they are wanting to swelling to go down first. How long was it out before they got it back into place? That plays a part in the recovery time if surgery is not an option. If you are going to continue to ride I would suggest that you get it surgically repaired, if not there is a good chance Subluxation (Instability) will occur and possibly more dislocations. For years my son avoided surgery by going the “therapy route” then had numinous arthroscopic procedures but ended up having both shoulders surgically repaired using the “Bankart Reconstruction” method. His left shoulder was done a second time due to an impact injury at the 02 Minneapolis Supercross. Click on the link below and you will see how low his left elbow is hanging down. The impact tore away the existing metal clips in his shoulder and lodged the top of the humerus into his rib cage. With all the existing mess in his shoulder it took a doctor, a radiologist and two helpers more than an hour to get the bone back into place.

Sorry to hear about you're shoulder problem.

http://www.vrmphotos.net/photos/2002/minneapolis_021602/jacobmartin1.jpg


Looks like it hurts.

jmar
Posts
14154
Joined
2/11/2007
Location
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
4/1/2008 9:42pm
jmar wrote:
Three weeks is a little long for the MRI but they are wanting to swelling to go down first. How long was it out before they...

Three weeks is a little long for the MRI but they are wanting to swelling to go down first. How long was it out before they got it back into place? That plays a part in the recovery time if surgery is not an option. If you are going to continue to ride I would suggest that you get it surgically repaired, if not there is a good chance Subluxation (Instability) will occur and possibly more dislocations. For years my son avoided surgery by going the “therapy route” then had numinous arthroscopic procedures but ended up having both shoulders surgically repaired using the “Bankart Reconstruction” method. His left shoulder was done a second time due to an impact injury at the 02 Minneapolis Supercross. Click on the link below and you will see how low his left elbow is hanging down. The impact tore away the existing metal clips in his shoulder and lodged the top of the humerus into his rib cage. With all the existing mess in his shoulder it took a doctor, a radiologist and two helpers more than an hour to get the bone back into place.

Sorry to hear about you're shoulder problem.

http://www.vrmphotos.net/photos/2002/minneapolis_021602/jacobmartin1.jpg


CamP wrote:
Looks like it hurts. [img]http://www.vrmphotos.net/photos/2002/minneapolis_021602/jacobmartin1.jpg[/img]
Looks like it hurts.

What really hurt is when Doc Bonar (broken foot and all) tried to manipulate it back into place. It was lodged tight into the top of the rib cage.
GuyB
Posts
35722
Joined
7/10/2006
Location
Aliso Viejo, CA, USA
4/1/2008 9:49pm
Ouch. The last time I did mine, it was out for about four hours before it got popped back in. It went back in easy, and felt soooo much better right afterward. Unfortunately, I had a tear in my labrum, and had to get it wrenched on.

The finger thing sounds weird on yours Kevin...hope you feel better soon.
rallendude
Posts
2203
Joined
8/17/2006
Location
Adger, AL, USA
4/2/2008 8:46am
I'd get it looked at again by another sports doc. In your situation, I don't think you want to deal with shoulder dislocations regularly. Find a reputable sports doc other than the first one and have another try. I say this mostly because of the finger thing. Sounds like you could have some nerve issues.


Good luck Kevin.
mxracerva
Posts
1
Joined
4/3/2008
Location
Waynesboro, VA, USA
4/3/2008 7:23am
Kevin,I recently did the same thing nov.4 2007 at birch creek.First time mine ever dislocated,had to go e.r. tohave it put back in.Severe swelling and could only curl my forearm up,not much movement any where else.Doctors kept waiting on mri.Finally went another doctor and had surgey on dec.5,the date the mri was going to be done on originally.Mine was a severly ruptured rotator cuff and bicep tendon torn off.Have been doing rehab for over 3 month,s now and things are coming along but very slow.The doctor had me in a sling for 6 weeks,now I have ton of scar tissue to work thru.I am going to texas soon for a second opinion.You may want to check out sandersclinic.net they have a very agressive aproach to surgey and rehab.They also pay your airfare and lodging expenses.I wish now that I had checked them out sooner.Hope this helps...been a fan of yours for years.I know the pain you are dealing with right now.hang in there.

Post a reply to: shoulder dislocations...

The Latest