What Track Features Cause the Most Injuries?

Johnny Depp
From a risk assessment standpoint, if you wanted to reduce injuries what would you eliminate or change in track prep and design locally?

It is obvious from the 3 pager on Tibial Plateau fractures there is a lot of experience with that on this site (and I broke mine in December too). We could even limit this to personal experience, but mine had nothing to do with a track feature (front brake endo).

I'm sure it's not cut and dry, and opinions vary. I'm don't think Pro tracks count. Just us weekend warriors that would like to see the sport stop trying to eliminate it's customer base. I've never been to LL's but I don't think they are constantly loading the helicopter there?

You would think in the only motorized sport with a starting gate it would be starts, but I don't think that is anywhere near the top issue.
|
hillbilly
8/6/2016 5:00am
The ones between the startgate and finishline pretty much.
hillbilly
8/6/2016 5:08am
[img]https://motocrossactionmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/116rut.jpg[/img]
Rutts hold your bike straight ,no stepping out under acceleration in that rut.

The Shop

Flip109
8/6/2016 5:28am Edited Date/Time 8/6/2016 5:30am
I've had lots of injuries. They've all come on some of the easiest jumps on the track. Most were due to inexperience at the time or just pushing myself beyond my limits while tired. I'd say the main culprit on the track was me lol
8/6/2016 6:14am
Johnny Depp, that is a very unforgiving double you posted a pic of. Seems most ambulance ride stories have the phrase came up short in them.
Ashleymx
8/6/2016 8:13am
For the average racer I think it's turning up to race on weekends with zero practice time. I found the more I rode the safer I was. You see it all the time the guy that rocks up to 3 races a year with no seat time ends up on crutches more than a guy that rides 4 times a week and races every weekend.
Ashleymx
8/6/2016 8:15am
Un prepped first corners, downhill starts (not that I remember any?) Lips on jumps.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
8/6/2016 8:17am
Braking bumps... Tongue
8/6/2016 8:39am
Any jump with a really bad kicker off the face. Could be 100 ft could be 5 ft, if you're going fast and about to scrub it and suddenly your bike gets kicked straight into an endo you're done for.
gharmon
8/6/2016 8:40am
Johnny Depp, that is a very unforgiving double you posted a pic of. Seems most ambulance ride stories have the phrase came up short in them.
Yeah I probably wouldn't jump that was my first response to myself when I saw that. You knows in real life.

Most my wrecks and been cause by someone on jumps. I've had three in a 3 year span. First was when I was racing my son around this long left hand sweeper (War Eagle MX) and the ass end stepped out just for a second but long enough for me to dab my left foot in the dirt. Torn ACL.

The next one was at Monster Mountain and this wild child comes by me recklessly on the last lap of practice and swaps out going over a jump and into my direct line as I'm leaving earth. Broken right wrist, lacerated spleen and two broken ribs on the right side.

Last one was at War Eagle Mx again. Some guy decides to "get out of my way" and slams on breaks on the face of a jump and veers straight left right into my line. (it's like a little rhythm section) on the last jump. land on him and then into an embankment. Shatttered left acetabulum (hip socket) ruptured bladder (caused by a "violent rupture of an external oblique muscle" per Dr dictation), another couple broken ribs on left side this time and a foot peg thru the inner thigh down by knee. The broken hip nicked my sciatic nerve which as left me with left footed nerve damage (I can no longer shift gears in a traditional manner).

So 2 out of 3 where over jumps. 2 out of 3 were caused by someone else.

Flip109
8/6/2016 8:57am
gharmon wrote:
Yeah I probably wouldn't jump that was my first response to myself when I saw that. You knows in real life. Most my wrecks and been...
Yeah I probably wouldn't jump that was my first response to myself when I saw that. You knows in real life.

Most my wrecks and been cause by someone on jumps. I've had three in a 3 year span. First was when I was racing my son around this long left hand sweeper (War Eagle MX) and the ass end stepped out just for a second but long enough for me to dab my left foot in the dirt. Torn ACL.

The next one was at Monster Mountain and this wild child comes by me recklessly on the last lap of practice and swaps out going over a jump and into my direct line as I'm leaving earth. Broken right wrist, lacerated spleen and two broken ribs on the right side.

Last one was at War Eagle Mx again. Some guy decides to "get out of my way" and slams on breaks on the face of a jump and veers straight left right into my line. (it's like a little rhythm section) on the last jump. land on him and then into an embankment. Shatttered left acetabulum (hip socket) ruptured bladder (caused by a "violent rupture of an external oblique muscle" per Dr dictation), another couple broken ribs on left side this time and a foot peg thru the inner thigh down by knee. The broken hip nicked my sciatic nerve which as left me with left footed nerve damage (I can no longer shift gears in a traditional manner).

So 2 out of 3 where over jumps. 2 out of 3 were caused by someone else.

Holy shit dude. My condolences lol
Moto810
8/6/2016 9:01am
Woops, braking bumps mostly.

Ted722
8/6/2016 9:08am
Freshly watered hardpack right before your moto.
Mit12
8/6/2016 9:37am Edited Date/Time 8/6/2016 9:38am
The dirt. Its not the fall that hurts its the sudden stop at the end that hurts.
EddieC
8/6/2016 10:16am
Amateur Races
1. Poorly maintained track. Having been to Mini O's a number a times I saw first hand how there was little maintenance done throughout the day. Basically it was racing from sun up to sun down. You can't expect little bikes to handle the track the same as big bikes nor can you expect C class to run the same lines as the A class. Compound this with not allowing riders a parade lap and you are blindly sending racers to their doom.

2. Factory Bike Non-Factory Rider Parents will spend money on making a bike faster when they would be better off spending that money on working at least once a week with a QUALIFIED riding coach. Let the bike advance with the skill level of the rider.

Practice Tracks
1. I would suggest the track maintenance be on a schedule and that the head maintenance guy consult with some Pros and Ams to see where the major problems are and fix those first. We do this at the pro level wouldn't be to hard to do durning practice day.

At PRO SX MX level
1. I can't tell you how many times I have seen riders break themselves off suffering a season ending injury, often times needing a ride to the hospital and in talking to them find out the the only practice they get is on race day. These guys work or go to school full time and then drive all night to a PROFESSIONAL race. Some guys only race one or two races on the pro circuit. Some guys don't have access to SX track so they ride MX during the week and make adjustments on Saturday. This is crazy and I can't believe its allowed to happen.

rongi#401
8/6/2016 10:19am
novice and vet riders of all shapes and sizes
rongi#401
8/6/2016 10:20am Edited Date/Time 8/6/2016 10:20am
/thread
8/6/2016 10:48am
'camel back jumps' seem to take allot of victims at the races

Post a reply to: What Track Features Cause the Most Injuries?

The Latest